LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Will IV's cause liver/gallbladder pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Will IV's cause liver/gallbladder pain?
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure some of you have read my posts about my liver/gallbladder pain. It started in April and I've had many tests and everything is negative.

My conclusion is my liver isn't happy...alternative DO feels the same way.

I've been detoxing like crazy and some days no pain. Here's the problem. My LLMD has me taking pulsed low dose Zithromax and I still have pain doing this.

He feels going on IV's is the only option. Will IV's miss the liver area a lot and alleviate these problems? I'm extremely sensitive to meds and have never been able to take a full dose of any ABX.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My experience is that IV rocephin made my GI pain worse.

After a year on orals, I had developed burning, inflammation & swelling in my entire intestinal tract. my LLMD thought the solution was IV abx, because it would not go through the GI system. Instead, the intestinal inflammation & pain after a 1-day trial of IV Rocephin on Friday was WORSE. The antibiotic still reached the nerves of the GI tract through the blood stream, and that caused the inflammation. It wasn't caused just by the physical chemical passing inside it.

I don't know what to do now either. If a doc can tell me this pain does NOT mean damage is being done to my intestinal tract, then I'll stay on IV Rocephin & just take something to cover the pain.

But if this pain means damage is being done, I think I have to stop abx for enough months for my GI system to heal, and save IV abx for the relapse.

Others' experiences with this?

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I had IV Rocephen last year for 5 weeks. Had to stop, due to it Rocephen causing gallstones. (had biweekly ultrasounds while on the IV) While on IV, my LLMD did weekly blood tests to check all values. My liver values were elevated in the blood test just prior to stopping the IV.
Values returned to normal and ultrasound showed that gallstones were gone one month after stopping IV.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailsgrl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trailsgrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Snowboarder!

Looks like the zith doesnt like you or ME!

I too expereinced severe URQ pain while taking it and still sometimes have this pain now 3 weeks after stopping. But not what it used to be by any means.

I also have been posting about it, but havent found many others who have had this on ZITH???

I had IV Rocephin in 2001 and it cause sludge and my first ALL OUT gallbladder attack. It took almost 6 months to get the gallbladder back to pain free levels by taking actigall.
Also I had bad liver panels when I herxed on Rocephin.

Every one is different, but Rocephin is pretty intense stuff for your body to process. It is however a good Lyme Kick butter in my opinion. I had one massive herx, (was on IV for 2 months and orals for 6 months) and then steady improvement until I reached almost 3 years of symptom free without any meds.

(funny thing that we use the same LL clinic and we both have zith problems-eh?)

Hope you can figure out what to do for yourself!
My best,
Trails

Posts: 196 | From Mesilla, NM USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trailsgrl:

My GI pain began with zith also, and continues a full week after stopping.

That's why Dr C said to go to IV, but we were surprised it became worse!

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think IV Claforan is easier on the gallbladder/liver.

Snowboarder....I hope you can find the solution to this. We have to get you well!

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snowboarder
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowboarder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone!

I will not be doing rocephin. Dr. C wants to start with claforan. Honestly I don't know if it will make a difference but lyme symptoms are creeping back and this does not make me happy!

Has anyone taken a different abx IV besides Rocephin and what were the results?

Lymetoo I'm very frustrated.

Posts: 738 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

[QUOTE]Originally posted by snowboarder:

Dr. C wants to start with claforan.

Has anyone taken a different abx IV besides Rocephin and what were the results?

------------
Can anyone answer Snowboarder's question above, especially Dr C;s patients? Dr C also recommended IV claforan or primaxin for me because of greater effectiveness.

My local internist who's agreed to administer IV, though, wants me to do rocephin instead for 2 reasons: (1) says claforan and primaxin are more harsh on the body & people get more c diff and yeast on those; (2) I feel 90% well, and he's afraid the harsher drugs will give me a setback.

I called Dr C's office yesterday, and his nurse said she isn't aware of their patients on primaxin & claforan having more c diff or yeast.

Those who've tried primaxin or claforan, which best describes your experience?

Especially those of you who've tried rocephin and then later either primaxin or claforan, were they really harsher? Did you really have more problems with yeast and c diff than on rocephin?

Thank you!

achey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6284

Icon 1 posted      Profile for achey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
snowboarder

I did 3 months iv zith, then iv clinda now I do clinda and zith.

I have had periodic liver pain on these meds, but I had years of liver pain and jaudice before my LD dx.

Liver detoxing helped alot, but Integrative Manual Therapy(IMT) treatment for my liver relieves the pain each time it surfaces. I believe in my case, that my Lyme infection is so comprehensive, that anytime there is excess dieoff my liver will be aggrivated.

I'm tired today. Am I making any sense?

Anyway, for me I don't think zith is the issue, but LD is...IMT helps the body heal... and it helps keep my liver strong with all of my meds.

Posts: 663 | From NH USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cigi
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6600

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cigi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am on IV rocephin for 6 mos. and having my gall bladder out on Tuesday. My doc believes in this - I don't know which way to go with this now. I had 5 stones 3 mos ago and kept going because of no pain. Pain started last week - bladder out Tuesday. I'm on levaquin also. I was on iv zithro for a few weeks and the rocephin and zithro gave me a set back of a lifetime. Over a year of oral zithro and not such a severe reaction like the iv zithro. Who knows what causes the setback, but I did have some reprieve for a month or two on the rocephin before this setback.

Good luck
Cigi

Posts: 320 | From Upstate, NY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Snowboarder,

I'm so sorry that you are going through this difficult time with pain and decisions to make.

I did IVs for 15 months- rocephin, clindamycin, zithromax, and levaquin. Each one helped with different symptoms. But yes, they all are quite powerful...and you should be monitored closely while on any meds, especially IV.

If you do rocephin eventually, be sure to have your doc also prescribe Actigall to help protect your gallbladder. You should also be getting a complete blood work-up every two weeks.

You might want to contact lightfoot re: the liver/gallbladder pain...she went through a similar experience.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.
Melanie

------------------
C O L O R A D O * S U P P O R T * S Y S T E M
[email protected]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know "just don" was on IV claforan and he said for the time he was on it, he felt wonderful. His insurance company bailed out on him, so he no longer takes it.

Hopefully, someone else will come along with experience with claforan.

------------------
oops!
Lymetutu

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jake and Jordan started IV Claforan on 5/20.

Jake had to stop for 5 days because his WBC count was too low.

We have seen some improvment in Jordan but not very much with Jake.

We are leaving early Monday morning for an appointment with Dr. C on Monday afternoon.

My understanding is that Claforan is easier on your body and you don't have the gallbladder issues.

The down side of Claforan is it needs to be infused 3 times a day. The kids do theirs at 7:30 am, 3:00 pm and 10:00 pm. Jordan uses the intermate system (which is great) and Jake uses a syringe.

Jake & Jordan have been so ill for so long, that is really too early to tell how it is working for them.

Our home health agency changes the comes once a week to change their dressing and to draw blood.

------------------

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement