LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Update: Garlic juice is working?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Update: Garlic juice is working?
Dave6002
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the past a few days, I was on these stuffs: one Tsp of Garlic juice, 1g of Changshan extract, 50mg of minocycline, 500mg of Tini and 5g/5g of Salt/C, and felt a big leap of improvement first time.

Except for Mino, I took other stuffs before.

For garlic, I used to eat 2-3 clovers per day. Now I make garlic juice using a juice maker and stored the juice in a freezer and take about one Tsp at the end of the dinner with enough soup to dilute the hot flavor.

I have stopped all other Buhner's and zhang's herbs.

I am hopping I'll keep improving on this regimen and finally get rid of this disease.

Good luck everybody.

Dave.

[ 19. December 2006, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Dave6002 ]

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Dave,

I'm thinking just a few days of 50mg mino is too little too soon for results.

I'm taking Mino 100mg MWF which is a mycoplasma protocol. It is low dose but really equal to your 50mg daily. The purpose behind pulsing it is that it is supposed to be strongest on the off day when it is exiting the body.

Your positive result makes me wonder if something other than lyme is causing your symptoms and the combo you are doing is hitting the mark.

In any case, if it is working, stay the course.

Best wishes for continued healing!

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Luvs for your input.

Yes, I was wondering what's the infection that keeps ill.

I have been treated for Bbs, Babs and Bart. on long term of abx (longer than one months on IV Rocephin, Mepron, Zith, Ketek, Doxy, levaguine, Rafmpin, etc).

Doxy saved my life.

However, I didn't see significant progress on other abx or herbs.

Although I can work normally, my flu-like symptoms didn't go away.

Probably, Mino is doing the trick:

Minocycline hydrochloride, also known as minocycline, is a member of the broad spectrum tetracycline antibiotics, and has a broader spectrum than the other members. As a result of its long half-life it generally has serum levels 2-4 times that of most other tetracyclines (150 mg giving 16 times the activity levels compared to 250 mg of tetracyline at 24-48 hours).

Current research is examining the possible neuroprotective effects of minocycline against progression of Huntington's Disease, an inherited neurodegenerative disorder.[2][3] The neuroprotective action of minocycline may include its inhibitory effect on 5-lipoxygenase, [4] an inflammatory enzyme associated with brain aging.[5] It also has been used as a last ditch treatment for toxoplasmosis in AIDS patients.

Marshall protocol is using low dose of Mino like 10-20 mg per day? and low dose of Mino is effective for some arthritis?

Dave

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes. A positive Rheum. Arthritis test is how I learned about Mino. I felt it was a safer option than methotrexate considering I have lyme.

I'm doing very well and keep hoping it is not due to the mino as I do not want to be on abx longterm. Still though, at this point I am scared to give it up.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

I highly suspect that garlic juice is doing the trick.

I ate cloves of raw garlic before and didn't notice any obvious improvement.

Now I remember GiGi said before that the way how do you take garlic is very critical and I followed the way she described.

I also highly suspect that garlic juice could be the most effective format of garlic to take.

You cannot get enough acillin from eating cloves of raw garlic, or crushed garlic, or garlic powder(?)

The above is just my preliminary observation and thinking.

I need more time and more experiments to prove it.

Dave

Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kyolic makes an organic liquid garlic. That's what the Lyme naturopath I used to see had me on. I felt it was very effective.

I switched to capsules lately, but given that yeast may be an issue for me now, I'll go back to the liquid. But that stuff is really strong - I have brain herxes on it (don't know if it's candida or Lyme but the liquid definitely affects me and I have to ramp back up slowly).

Great news about your progress.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Jill,thanks for sharing.

Sorry, I have to disappoint you a little: I have been off Art one day and seems the Babesia symptoms are roaring back, early morning wakeup, palps, hot feeling and headache, indicating that I do have Babs, though the test is negative.

Seems the garlic juice has controlled something that causes stomach problem but not Babs.

Anyway, I am still happy that the garlic juice is working and found out that I probably have Babs.

Good luck,

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
but given that yeast may be an issue for me now, I'll go back to the liquid.
From reading, garlic is effective on yeast.
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it effective against bartonellosis?

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is garlic juice a cure for coinfections...NO

But it Kills the heck out of CO HABITATIONS!

LOL

Just ask my wife!

zman [lol]

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymie tony z:
Is garlic juice a cure for coinfections...NO

But it Kills the heck out of CO HABITATIONS!

LOL

Just ask my wife!

zman [lol]

[lol]

I was thinking the same thing - on the dating thread I was posting about how hard it is to date with Lyme. Well, being aromatic with garlic probably isn't helping!

No, unfortunately, garlic does not help with Bartonella. I have horrendous Bart problems, can't take the meds right now, and garlic doesn't do a thing.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jill -- Thanks for the info... Sorry about your Bart symptoms.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Seems I have been improving on garlic juice since I started this thread one month ago.

The symptoms have been lessened greatly or become tolerable.

Now I live as a normal person: working on a full time job, driving long time on highway and spending whole day in a theme park without any problem.

I am very happy that the most debilitating and most stubborn symptom---the nauseous stomach has been gone.

To my experience,how to take garlic might be very critical.

I had been eating cloves of garlic most time in the past year but never had a good feeling.

Garlic juice is totally different, I felt its good effects almost immediately.

This could be applied to other herbs: tinctures, teas or capsules might have big difference could be totally different.

From now on, I would think twice or more times before concluding that a herb is not working.

Take care.

Dave

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm so glad you said it's not effective for Bart. I've been reading the thread thinking that it would be good for daughter who is bart loaded.

She will be happy to know she doesn't have to stink to get well.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

Without a change in "therapeutic regimen" I too seem to be maintianing/improving after addition of quality garlic.

As far as the mino being too small...the only abx. I've ever herxed with is at 1/20 of the usual(non-lymie)dosage. Just my own experiences.

Everyone have a Merry Christmas,Hanukkah etc. [Smile]

Travlr1

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of juicer did you use to make the juice?
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Travlr1,

I am also on other herbs, mainly Buhrner's core herbs.

However, I have stopped Mino and Tini for about 3 weeks.

So Mino is not responsible for the improvement.

oxygenbabe,

I am using regular garlic bought from local supermarkets like Walmart and Sam's Club.

Dave

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oxygenbabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Dave, what kind of juicer did you use? I have a good one, an Omega. Just curious if you used a special juicer (not juice) [Smile]
Posts: 2276 | From united states | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Oxygen,

I am using Juiceman juicemaker. I posted its picture here:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049909

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In another herbal book (not Healing Lyme, but a book on herbal antibiotic alternatives for drug-resistant bacteria) Stephen Buhner says that one of garlic's active constituents is formed when garlic is crushed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the method of taking it is affected by this.

Garlic is supposed to help control candida also (I have a problem with candida even when I'm not on antibiotics, and my LLMD suggested trying garlic next).

In case you don't know, candida can get really out of control when you're on antibiotics. Men can have gut candida and have no symptoms, unlike women who tend to also get vaginal symptoms that tip us off that the gut candida is also out of control.

Before I knew that my 'mystery illness' was long-term Lyme, I found that doing large doses of probiotics (which kill candida) such as PB-8 acidophilus or rejuvelac drink (fermented wheat sprouts) would occasonally work to give me a lot of energy short-term, and would make some of the Lyme symptoms go away temporarily.

It sounds a bit like the experience you're describing.

Garlic also has effects on your immune system - it's not just a bacteria killer in the sense that antibiotics are- so it's possible (I guess, but I"m not a medical professional) that it's helping you fight one of your bugs even if it's not able to kill them directly.

[ 21. December 2006, 03:10 AM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Thanks, Maria, for the information.

My stomach problem developed shortly after I got sick with Lyme and before I took long term abx, so I doubt it's yeast problem.

However, I'll definitely look into this possibility.

Dave

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to change the subject, but here is to the Juicers - if you throw away the fiber - please be aware that fiber is not just dead food! Fiber is no food to us, but it is food to microorganisms - usually the good ones. They make butyric acid and other very valuable things out of it that we need for our healthy functioning. I used to juice years ago; it was the first thing I stopped when getting ill. My juicer is collecting dust in the cupboard that I can only reach with a ladder!

And also note: Juicing, when you are not absolutely certain that you have totally organically grown fruits and vegetables , might not be the best idea. Because you are also getting any of the toxins, all toxins, in very concentrated form. We usually do not juice one garlic clove or one carrot.

If you want to get the full benefit: Vegetable juice in the morning using only organic that you trust, take the fiber and put it in a jar and eat it throughout the day (add a little juice for flavor) It is incredible what that does to the microflora. The measurements on the butyric acid content in the stool goes up a thousand percent within a few days and the amount of beneficial bacteria, how quickly it nurtures the good bacteria and the balance between good and bad is shifted very quickly. All researched.

We have to regain strength in a way which makes the healthy organisms outgrow and gain strength over the pathogenic bugs in the gut and get that balance again.

Yes, we own or give residence to many parasites that are beneficial.
Worms modulate the host's immune system.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dave6002:

My stomach problem developed shortly after I got sick with Lyme and before I took long term abx, so I doubt it's yeast problem.

Dave [/QB]

Now that I'm feeling better from the Lyme treatment, Im starting to attack my own stomach ulcer and candida issues.

I have tested positive for H. Pylorii (ulcer-causing bacterium) in the past but I"m having a VERY hard time getting rid of it with standard ulcer treatments (more testing to come shortly).

For what it's worth, in talking with my LLMD about it, he did say that stomach or GI problems are sometimes a Lyme symptom and that this may explain why my standard ulcer stuff isn't helping- and in fact, my symptoms got bad when I first got really ill, which may be a coincidence or may be the Lyme itself.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

In the early time when seeking the answer for the mysterious disease, I was tested positive for H. Pylorii by antibody test, and was given three weeks of standard abx for treating H. Pylorii. After the course of abx, biopsy culture from Gastroscopy didn't find any H. Pylorii, but I stilll had stomach problem.

The Gastroscopy did find very mild gastritis, which the doc said it's not a problem at all, Pepside should solve the problem.

So in my case I am sure it's Lyme related and I am happy this problem seems resolving.

geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about taking something like garlique or something my health food store has in a capsule?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic...wonderful.

Here's a "tad" from 4 files:

What Garlic Contains

An average garlic clove contains seven calories, Vitamins B1, 2, and 3, as
well as Vitamin C. Garlic is an excellent source of potassium and
phosphorous, but it contains other minerals as well -- calcium, iron,
selenium, sulphur, manganese, zinc, germanium, and copper.

Garlic contains
all 8 essential amino acids and also the highest sulphur content in any
vegetable.

Sulphur is a mineral that has the ability to carry oxygen to the
body. Sulphur carries the oxygen in the body directly to the infected areas.

Garlic is also a rich source of selenium. It contains the highest level of
selenium of any plant.

Selenium is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants --
probably 10 times stronger than Vitamin E. In fact, garlic has long been
known as necessary for optimum health in livestock, but only recentlly was
selenium singled out as an important factor.

In the late 70's, it was
discovered that selenium can help protect against human heart attack, stroke,
hypertension, and cancer...

And it lowers cholesterol!

Here's recent research:

Benefits of Garlic Better by the Dozen

June 8, 2006 - A single clove may be too little, 20 too much, but a new study suggests about a dozen cloves of garlic per day may be just right for lowering cholesterol.

esearchers say several studies have shown that garlic is good for the heart, but the optimal dose for reaping the most health benefits of the pungent produce is unclear.

In their study, researchers fed laboratory rats various doses of raw garlic, ranging from 500 milligrams to 1,000 milligrams per day per kilogram of the rat's body weight, along with a cholesterol-raising diet.

The research team included Shela Gorinstein, PhD, from the department of medicinal chemistry and natural products at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem.

After four weeks, the results showed that only the rats that got the 500-milligram daily dose of garlic were resistant to the cholesterol-raising effects of their diet.

The 500-milligram dose of garlic was also associated with an increase in the time it would take for blood to clot.

Heart attacks and strokes are primarily due to blood clots that block blood flow supply to the heart and brain.

Although the results aren't directly transferable to humans, the researchers' optimal dose for reaping the heart-healthy benefits of garlic in this study was equivalent to about 1.25 ounces of raw garlic (or about 12 cloves) per day for a 150-pound person.

The results appear in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
what about taking something like garlique or something my health food store has in a capsule?
Don't know, but since the effective compounds released from garlic can be inactivated easily during processing, storage and transportation, it's better to use fresh garlic or frozen ones.

Second, the effective compounds may mainly present in the juice, suggesting that the juice may have higher concentration of the effective compounds than the whole garlic.

Third, in garlic juice, the effective compounds have been released from the cells, thus, it's bioavailability (absorption by our body)is higher than garlic powder or cloves.

Fourth, in my case, garlic juice doesn't give unpleasant odor. My speculation is that the odor-giving substance is not present in the juice but in the insoluble parts the granules.

Garlic juice is very easy to make and very inexpensive.

In summary, I would say that garlic juice is purer and more effective than other forms of garlic and may not produce the unpleasant odor.

Dave

MariaA
Member # 9128

Folks on this forum have pointed out that not all the garlic capsule suppliments are equally effective. I asked my LLMD about the 'non-odor' ones and he said they're not very effective, but was OK with the idea of the regular freeze-dried ones (like someone suggested above, get a certified organic garlic if possible).

I had prettty good success with reducing odor by putting my crushed garlic (3 cloves worth at a time) into large empty capsules. I needed to use a small funnel and prod it with a chopstick to get this to work.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
by putting my crushed garlic (3 cloves worth at a time) into large empty capsules.
I am afraid that the bioavailability of the crushed garlic is much lower than the garlic juice, since there are still a lots of unbroken garlic cells in the crushed garlic and our digestive system may not be able to break all these cells to get the active compounds out.
GiGi
Member # 259

I posted this talk by Dr. K. (at the end of a three-day seminar) here a few years ago. Since you are still talking garlic, here it is again. Let me say - I lived garlic for a couple of years, which I am certain played a big role in my success with Lyme.

"A little bit about garlic......

The issue came up - many of you have heard me speak on garlic. First of all, here is the study on garlic --- on h. pilori - it is extremely effective to give freeze-dried garlic, or in this case garlic oil for h. pylori, which is one of the major infections that we are dealing with these days.

Here is a German study - a comparison between Bear Garlic and garlic. Bear garlic is wild garlic, which is the plant that grows in Central Europe and is absolutely great. That's what the old Germanic tribes used to do - they attacked Rome and brought the Roman Empire down in April, of whatever year that was, because in March is when the bear garlic comes out and they cut and are eating the leaves of the bear garlic and they are getting so much energy from it, they don't know what to do with it. Their hormone levels go up, all their infections go away, and ....
(laughingly) the Germanic Tribes they were doing this thing every March, beginning of April they would eat bear garlic and cleared out all the parasites, all the infections, and then went and conquered Rome and did all these other things..... All of it is long forgotten, but it has an effect on you and one of the reasons I always go in April to Germany is - my friend overthere he grows hugh plantation of bear garlic among the trees in the woods and makes me this bear garlic pesto. I do four weeks of bear garlic pesto and can tell you that it is for me incredible.....

A little bit about Allicin. Garlic is associated with this compound allicin, which has been shown to be the most potent natural antibiotic. (showing an exhibit of MIT)
It is extremely effective for Staph aureus, and some of the physicians among you know that there is no antibiotic left that's effective. Well, there is plenty of research that shows that freeze-dried garlic is absolutely 100% effective for it, and it puzzles me that science ignores that. This is from peer-reviewed journals, not small stuff. Candida - may be important for you - that freeze-dried garlic is an absolute for treating candida.

Let me talk about Allicin. Garlic contains alliin. Which is the chemical precursor to allicin, and they get converted to allicin through an enzyme called alliinase that happens when you chew garlic. When you break up the cell membrane of the plant cells, the enzyme that is in the cell wall gets released and combines with alliin and then allicin is created in 20 seconds.

Allicin has a half life of 10 days. Any of the garlic products that you buy - garlic oil, kyotic garlic, etc. - there is no allicin left in it. So any prior experience you have had with any garlic products, other than fresh garlic, forget that. Erase that out of your mind ``tried garlic once and it didn't work'' - put that on the side.
The only garlic products that have their full allicin- releasing potential left is fresh garlic and freeze-dried garlic.

When you swallow garlic, when you chew it for a few seconds and wait for 20 seconds before the conversion after you chew it, and it hits the stomach acid, the enzymes are immediately neutralized and the conversion doesn't happen. So if you take raw garlic and eat it, it doesn't happen either. If you eat it on a full stomach (on a full stomach the Ph comes up from 1.5 to 4.5); you can eat it at the end of a meal and the conversion happens. You chew the garlic, the enzymes activate it, you swallow it, it doesn't get killed by the stomach acid, and you get the full allicin release from it.

Chewing garlic has the disadvantage has the disadvantage that you smell like...........

When you eat garlic, you smell. When you take freeze-dried garlic in capsules, there is no body odor. There is a mild body odor that you can detect if you go close to the skin of the person who is taking it.

Garlic is also very effective for treatment of amoebas and giardia, most species of worms; in Lyme Disease - Dr. Zhang in New York published papers on the effectiveness that allicin also penetrates the blood-brain barrier and goes to the CSF and can clean up things there. (does not use Zhang's garlic - tried it - is not as effective ---gg)

It is really a fantastic agent for our time. The way to take it is 2-3 capsules at the end of each meal - needs to be taken at least three times a day, better four times a day, just like penicillin. Remember, penicillin you have to take every six hours, you have to take it four times a day to make it work, and the same with freeze-dried garlic.
It is great for general health.
Question: Do you chew up these capsules?

Answer: Freeze-dried garlic - you swallow it at the end of a meal when the Ph has come up; then the juices in the gut mix with the garlic, put it in solution, activate the conversion and you get the whole shebang (sp?) of the allicin release.

I want you to try to remember that any time that any prior experience, when people talk about garlic ``yeh, tried it and worked a little bit'' or so, they didn't do it right, I promise you. If you follow these rules, it becomes the most powerful medicine that we have.

It is also for ......... clostridium, there is a study there - some of the modern infections that we have no solutions for in medicine, try garlic.

Question: either the fresh or the freeze-dried - you want to take following the meal?

Answer: Yes, there is no point - if you cook garlic, you destroy the enzyme. Also if you put it on your salad - most people eat their salad before the meal, forget it - it doesn't work.

Question: You want it to be activated after it hits your stomach?

Answer: yes. If you can't take the capsule, put it in water, stir it, wait 20 seconds until the conversion happens, then drink it. Then it won't be destroyed by the stomach acid.

The best solution for topical problems - use garlic tincture on the skin, by far the best garlic tincture is from ----- . Even though the garlic is broken up in small particles where there are still some cells intact, the moment you put it on the skin, from the drying-effect the cells rupture, the allicin is released and it is a great antimicrobial. So for fungal infections (feet and everywhere) use garlic tincture - major for staph infections on the skin (freeze dried garlic inside - tincture outside).

Tincture is also great to use orally. Great for gum disease. Do it at night - slush it around in your mouth, go to bed, don't swallow it - just sort of leave it there, and it kills all the microorganisms. If you have a partner, if you both do it (there is this habituation to the garlic taste and smell), if your partner also does it, in the morning either one of you can smell each other and will not be offended by it.

It is a powerful tool of the past and of the future."

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Thanks, GiGi.

Excellent post, I have read it many times.

Dave

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

This may help too, from immunesupport. I did the interview. I've been using their stabilized garlic, although after a few months in the fridge I'm pretty sure its mostly allitridium and other sulfur products. I need to order some more. I try to freeze it in batches when I get it. I guess if you're giong to juice your own garlic you should drink it immediately.

12-13-2006

Many folks with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia suffer from chronic infections. Garlic is a remarkable food source with an incredible spectrum of activity against bacteria, fungal infections, and viruses. Now, with new and stable formulations available, garlic supplements can be used to combat infections naturally, according to chemist Peter Josling, Director of the Garlic Center in Sussex, England and author of the book, "Allicin: The Heart of Garlic.

JN: How did you get interested in garlic in the first place?

PJ: I'm a chemist by training and I was working for a medical publisher who commissioned an article on garlic and heart disease. There is evidence that certain types of garlic extract can help reduce cholesterol. I went off to the British Library, and to my amazement there were well over 1,500 articles and clinical papers on garlic's role in cancer, heart disease, and infectious disease. I couldn't quite believe it, and after that I was hooked.

Chemical analyses of garlic cloves have revealed an unusual concentration of sulfur-containing compounds - in fact, if you search the National Library of Medicine (www.nlm.nih.gov), you find more articles on garlic than ginseng or ginkgo or tea tree. It was in 1944 that researchers first isolated the molecule responsible for the remarkable antibacterial activity of crushed garlic cloves. It turned out to be allicin, which is an oxygenated sulfur molecule.

JN: Garlic actually has several very potent sulfur products, which give the herb its distinctive smell. Can you describe each one of them?

PJ: The chemistry of garlic is quite complicated, but very well described in the medical literature. Garlic cloves are odor free until crushed or processed.

Allicin is the first compound produced from fresh garlic when you crush it. Allicin is what garlic uses to protect itself when it is ``attacked.'' Allicin is created when a chemical called alliin reacts with an enzyme in garlic called allinase. However, this enzyme is quasi-suicidal. That means that as soon as it reacts with the alliin it dies away - unlike most enzymes, which will carry on ad infinitum as long as they have a molecule to act on.

JN: Allicin is very potent but unstable.

PJ: Right. Chemists have needed to capture it and freeze it at minus 70 degrees centigrade to preserve it. It is incredibly unstable. That's why many garlic products in the supplement industry are made of alliin and allinase in a single capsule, which will react to produce allicin when they came into contact with water and are joined together.

JN: So you could take a capsule with those two ingredients, and allicin would be produced in your stomach.

PJ: Yes. Even so, the amount of allicin released in your stomach is variable. It depends on the product.

JN: As soon as you crush a fresh clove of garlic, and the allicin begins to degrade, it changes into other sulfur compounds such as allitridium and ajoene. Those are supposed to be very beneficial for our health, too. I've read that allitridium has antifungal and antibacterial activity, though not as potent as allicin. And that ajoene is good at lowering cholesterol.

PJ: That's true, though allicin is the most potent antibacterial and antifungal substance in garlic. Bacteria, from Escherichia coli (E. coli) to Staphylococcus aureus, Proteus mirabilis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and many others, are sensitive to garlic. So is Helicobactor pylori (H. pylori), the bacterium that causes stomach ulcers.

Even more interesting, garlic can prevent the formation of toxins from staphylococcus bacteria, and there is evidence that the toxins themselves cause illness. Basically, allicin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic. We've tested it on 30 clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus [and it is highly active] against these resistant strains of staphylococcus. We also published another study on nearly 150 volunteers showing that allicin helps prevent the common cold. There is some evidence that ajoene, however, may be slightly better as an antiviral.

JN: What other healing properties does garlic have?

PJ: It enhances immune function, according to studies in animals. It seems to enhance the activity of natural killer cells, and to inhibit the growth of certain cancer cells. It has been used for treating high blood pressure and arteriosclerosis since the early part of the last century. Regular garlic intake lowers hypertension, and as early as 1928, definite blood pressure decreases were achieved with garlic therapy.

It is also well established that garlic extracts, in particular garlic powders, have a significant anti-cholesterol effect. One 12-week study compared garlic powder tablets with a commonly prescribed lipid-lowering drug that was used before the statins (drugs that inhibit the enzyme determining the speed of cholesterol synthesis) became popular. This was a multi-center, double-blind study with 94 patients. After just a month of treatment, the decreases in triglycerides and ``bad'' LDL cholesterol were also statistically significant - and just the same as the drug. ``Good'' cholesterol (HDL) also increased significantly.

JN: Tell me more about allicin and cancer? I know there is some work in Israel where they have attached allicin to antibodies and helped kill cancer cells.

PJ: Epidemiological studies show that cancer occurs the least in those countries where garlic and onions are eaten regularly in high doses - France, Italy, Egypt, India, and China, for instance. Since garlic is mainly eaten cooked in most of these countries, an anti-cancer effect may be due to other compounds in garlic besides allicin.

However, the antibiotic effects of garlic may help inactivate microbes in the stomach, and help protect against stomach cancer. In addition, a very important study published recently in America - the Iowa Women's Health Study, involving 41,387 women ages 55 to 69 - determined their intake of 127 foods, including 44 vegetables and fruits, and then monitored colon cancer incidence for five years.

This study found that garlic was the one food which showed a statistically significant association with decreased colon cancer risk. Just one or more servings of garlic per week lowered risk of colon cancer by 35 percent.

JN: Can garlic harm you in any way?

PJ: Taking too much garlic can hinder blood clotting, and it would be sensible for people already on blood-thinning drugs, or about to undergo surgery, to advise their medical team before starting therapy with any garlic supplement. Even so, in most cases adding garlic supplements or garlic to your diet should be safe.

JN: Can you summarize garlic's benefits?

PJ: I can't think of any other plant that has such an established and magnificent track record for performing good deeds.

For more information, visit the Garlic Information Centre - ``An international information service on the medicinal benefits of garlic'' - at http://www.garlic.mistral.co.uk/

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Thanks, Oxygen, for the excellent interview, which is very inspiring and knowledgeable. I'll archive it for future reference.

quote:
I guess if you're giong to juice your own garlic you should drink it immediately.
For convenience, I didn't make garlic juice each time, instead I made a lot and froze down in a freezer, which should keep the garlic juice active at least one month or longer.

Freshly made might be better. However, I didn't compare fresh made with frozen ones.

Bring us more such marvelous interview.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Huh, I was wondering what's it:

Green pigment in crushed garlic (Allium sativum L.) cloves: Purification and partial characterization

Lee EJ (Lee, Eun-Jin), Cho JE (Cho, Jung-Eun), Kim JH (Kim, Jeong-Han), Lee SK (Lee, Seung-Koo)
Source: FOOD CHEMISTRY 101 (4): 1677-1686 2007

Abstract: Unknown green pigment, responsible for greening in crushed garlic cloves, was purified and characterized by using a series of column chromatography, liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization (LC-ESI), fast atom bombardment (FAB), matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF) mass spectrometry (MS), and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy. The purified green pigment was highly polar and slightly viscous, with a garlic flavor, and easily turned to a yellow or brown color with exposure to room temperature. The absorption spectrum in methanol showed a crude methanolic green pigment-like profile with two absorbance maxima at 440 and 590 nm.

A compound based on MS spectra showing the ion peak at m/z 412 is responsible for greening. Although complete isolation of the molecular weight (MW) 411 compound for proper structure elucidation was not achieved in our experiments, the MS and NMR spectra of the MW 411 green pigment suggested the ambiguous structural assignment of one sulfur atom and odd numbers of nitrogen atoms, with 25-30 carbons including aromatic ring. Therefore, we suggest the possibility that the green pigment MW 411 observed in crushed garlic cloves is a new sulfur-containing nitrogenous water-soluble compound differing significantly from all previously reported green pigments in plants. (c) 2006 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Author Keywords: Allium; garlic; greening; discoloration; green pigment; spectrometry; spectroscopy
KeyWords Plus: SEPHADEX LH-20 CHROMATOGRAPHY; ONION PUREES; MASS-SPECTROMETRY; ALLICIN; PINKING; IDENTIFICATION; SUBSTANCES; SAMPLES; OIL
Addresses: Lee SK (reprint author), Seoul Natl Univ, Coll Agr & Life Sci, Dept Plant Sci, San 56-1, Seoul 151921, South Korea
Seoul Natl Univ, Coll Agr & Life Sci, Dept Plant Sci, Seoul 151921, South Korea
Rural Dev Adm, Natl Hort Res Inst, Suwon 440706, South Korea
Seoul Natl Univ, Coll Agr & Life Sci, Sch Agr Biotechnol, Seoul 151921, South Korea

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

Dave, do you know what temperature a typical freezer is? If it is minus 70 centigrade, per my interview with Peter, you could crush your garlic, or squeeze it into a juice, freeze it asap, and maybe preserve the allicin.

I do believe his product is stabilized. However over time in the fridge it does degrade.

GiGi
Member # 259

Preserving the alliin content is what counts.

Pesticide and metal-free garlic with a high alliin and selenium content should be the base.
Freeze drying restores and maintains the alliin content. Many commercial garlic products do not have any allicin releasing potential left.

http://www.bioimmersion.com/garlic.htm

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Oxygen, the temperature for a regular freezer is usually minus 20 to 30 C degree. Such freezers are widely used in biomedical research labs to keep temperature-sensitive materials such as enzymes, DNA, RNA and other proteins.

Minus 80 freezers are also used for longer storage of these materials.

Liquid nitrogen (below about minus 160 C) tanks are used for long term preserving of materials mentioned above and cells including embryo stem cells and embryos.

MariaA
Member # 9128

I'm having a weird effect when I take my garlic (which I'm taking for candida and h. pylorii (ulcer bacteria) by the way).

About 15-20 minutes after swallowing 3 cloves' worth of crushed garlic (in capsules) I get some dizziness that lasts about an hour (right about when I can smell it on my breath a bit). This is somethign like the third day this has happened.

Anyone experience this?

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

GiGi
Member # 259

MariaA, I would call this "neurotoxins on the move" or "mobilized neurotoxins" from the die-off -- be sure you take a lot of fiber, mop-up stuff, etc. to help them out of the body. So, don't worry, just help them along. For me, that used to be lymphatic drainage, colonics, jumping on the trampoline, etc. etc.

It's a good thing.

Take care.

[ 24. December 2006, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: GiGi ]

MariaA
Member # 9128

Well, I went another month of alternating various brands of freeze-dried garlic, and my own crushed frozen garlic-in-capsules. I'm pretty sure that I see fewer candida/stomachache/tiredness symptoms when I use the frozen stuff regularly, compared to when I use the freeze-dried commercial stuff.

Yesterday I made some more of my own capsules for the freezer based on info in this thread.

I juiced a bag of organic peeled garlic (some health food stores carry it in jars in the produce section- not the crushed-in-oil canned garlic, but just peeled fresh cloves in a bag or jar like what restaurants use). I then used a small funnel to pour the juice into 00 size capsules. Yes, it's a hassle, but I feel like I don't have a commercial alternative. I spread the capsules out in a Tupperware container so they didn't melt onto each other, and froze them immediately. I was able to do two weeks' worth pretty quickly. My capsule filler device (cap-m-quick) doesn't work for any of this by the way.

I'm amazed at the lack of garlic breath when doing this method. I take the garlic with food (or at the end of a meal) and though I got a tinge of nausea when it dissolved, it was relatively simple compared to everything else I've done. And, NO garlic breath to speak of .

[ 30. January 2007, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

MariaA
Member # 9128

I just wish I knew what dose I'm getting in this process.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave, I hate to have to ask, but how do you freeze your garlic juice? I'm guessing ice cube trays, but could you spell it out for me? Thanks!

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Maria, congratulations on your success!
MariaA
Member # 9128

I spoke a little too soon, just had a nasty vomiting episode on this stuff (which is not abnormal for garlic- I think stephen Buhner says something like 'you won't die, but you'll wish you could' in one of his books when discussing garlic's emetic properties).

Gonna take ginger first, let the ginger have some time to dissolve, AND eat a bigger meal before taking it next time, or just stick with one capsule per dose.

Maria

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a new product called Allimed, which is 100% Allicin. You can check it out at
www.allimed.us

I just got my bottle of it, and it does give me an upset stomach.
Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, RuthRuth,

I put garlic juice in plastic a sandwich bag and put the bag on a flat surface in a freezer (minus twenty degree C)so after frozen, garlic juice will form a solid icy garlic plate.

You can control the thickness of garlic plate by controlling the amount of garlic juice putting in the bag.

Depends on how much you take each time, a certain size of solid garlic can be cut off easily from the garlic plate.

I usually melt the garlic ice in big volume of soup or water of and take it at the end of a meal.

A lot of soup or water is necessary to dilute the bitter garlic taste and increase the absorption of the active components of garlic in the stomach.

I have made a lot of "garlic plates" and put in a freezer, which would be enough for ~3 months.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
just had a nasty vomiting episode on this stuff
Fresh garlic juice is very potent , probably much more potent than any other form of garlic, and should be very careful as how and how much when take it.

I didn't have such episode, probably, I take it with a lot of soups or water so the garlic been greatly diluted, unlike the capsule which is very concentrated.

However, the toxicity of garlic also should be taken into account.

There is a thread here talking about the toxicity of garlic.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050561#000000

Dave

Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a question for you garlic consumers. I like garlic in my foods and have found that I often have a craving for it.

Yesterday evening I tried a new food that had a lot of garlic. Much stronger then I would normally eat. Anyhow, I felt like crap for the rest of the evening. A little slow today as well. Before I found this post I was wondering if the garlic had anything to do with it. It was quite over powering. Whats your opinion?

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

A Herx reaction indicating garlic was killing some pathogens?

At the beginning when I fell ill, I tried garlic several times and my symptoms were worsen each time.

Now I feel better when taking garlic juice probably my pathogen load is much less than before.

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Now I make fresh garlic juice every day with a juicer or blender and some water.

I feel that freshly made garlic juice is much stronger and more effective than frozen one that has been stored less than one month in a freezer.

So garlic juice might lose it's effectiveness against Lyme very rapidly even stored in a freezer at minus 20 degree.

If its true, then even frozen-dried garlic may be much less effective than freshly made garlic juice.

Dave

oxygenbabe
Member # 5831

You're right. At Weizzman Institute they freeze the garlic oil at minus 70.
I'm going to try some juice, you've inspired me.

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Recently I tried a blender to prepare the garlic juice: 30 minutes before a meal, I put 3 to 4 cloves of garlic into the blender, then add a cup of water or soup and blend for a couple of minutes.

After the meal, take the garlic juice with much more soup.

Blender might be more convenient than a juicer, we'll see.

Dave

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Tabers,

I use Juiceman juicemaker. I posted its picture here:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=049909

The blender is a Hamilton Beach 52250:

-

Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Dr.K includes freeze dried garlic in his protocol?
Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

If we are talking about Dr. K in Washington? Yes... from reading his article "A Look Beyond Antibiotics" it seems to be one of several remedies he might use at different times.

Claire

Dave6002
Member # 9064

Amazing, for several years, I tried many things and no big help found, and I come back to this garlic+vegetables+ginger juice and it's helping. I brought this post up.
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a great thread, Dave [Smile]
Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Thanks. I just saw your post: you are taking a lot of things, which is still amazing me, although I did similarly before. However, the only Salt/C, garlic juice and some herb vegetables are helping. I am suspecting if the BBs are still in our body and contribute to the symptoms.
Carmen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42391

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carmen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allemed, a garlic capsuled product, is documented to contain active allicin. Its often used for the treatment of MRSA and I personally know of several people who cured severe MRSA infections with it. Treatment took 3 to 4 months. Its a little spendy, but easier to take than garlic and whole heck of a lot safer than antibiotics. videos on youtube about it here:
http://www.healthsalon.org/375/mrsa-alternative-treatment-with-allicin-testimonial/

www.allimed.us/pdf/article/April2005%5B9%5D.pdf

I just purchased some freeze dried garlic. Was glad to learn to take it right after a meal for the best effect.

My friend just blends her garlic in water and she believes it to be very effective for just about everything... but they dont have lyme.

Most people have to understand that generally a couple of weeks of this herb or that will not cure. Most often The treatments take a long time. If its bab. or bart that you are after you have to treat for at least 6 months, due to the life cycle of the red blood cell that they like to live in. Id say longer to be safe and for weeks, perhaps a month or two past the ending of your last symptom.

Posts: 803 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6646

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to try a garlic protocol. This thread is so confusing to me.

Could someone give me a simple version.

How much, what is the best kind, how to process it and how much and when to use it.

Thanks

[ 01-22-2014, 07:07 AM: Message edited by: cleo ]

Posts: 433 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement