LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bartonella/Babesia Symptom Questionnaires

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bartonella/Babesia Symptom Questionnaires
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got these from an LLMD. Thought they might be helpful to some.

Bartonellosis

Common symptoms of bartonellosis include:

___Fatigue (often with agitation, unlike Lyme disease, which is more exhaustion)

___Low grade fevers, especially morning and/or late afternoon, often associated with feelings of "coming down with the flu or a virus"

___Sweats, often morning or late afternoon (sometimes at night) - often described as "thick" or "sticky" in nature

___Headaches, especially frontal (often confused with sinus) or on top of head

___Eye symptoms including episodes of blurred vision, red eyes, dry eyes

___Ringing in the ears (tinnitus) and sometimes hearing problems (decreased or even increased sensitivity - so-called hyperacusis)

___Sore throats (recurring)

___Swollen glands, especially neck and under arms

___Anxiety and worry attacks; others perceive as "very anxious"

___Episodes of confusion and disorientation that are usually transient (and very scary); often can be seizure-like in nature

___Poor sleep (especially difficulty falling asleep); poor sleep quality

___Joint pain and stiffness (often both Left and Right sides as opposed to Lyme which is often on one side only with pain and stiffness that changes locations)

___Muscle pains especially the calves; may be twitching and cramping also

___Foot pain, more in the morning involving the heels or soles of the feet (sometimes misdiagnosed as plantar fasciitis)

___Nerve irritation symptoms which can be described as burning, vibrating, numb, shooting, etc.

___Tremors and/or muscle twitching

___Heart palpitations and strange chest pains

___Episodes of breathlessness

___Strange rashes recurring on the body often, red stretch marks, and peculiar tender lumps and nodules along the sides of the legs or arms, spider veins

___Gastrointestinal symptoms, abdominal pain and acid reflux

___Shin bone pain and tenderness

Bartonella is a bacterium that causes illness, the most commonly known of which is a disease called "Cat Scratch Fever." Thousands of known cases of Bartonella occur in the U.S. each Year, with the vast majority of known cases due to bites from fleas that infest cats or infected dogs (may also occur directly from bites and scratches from infected dogs or cats). Bartonella can also be transmitted by ticks that transmit Lyme Disease. In fact, in a study published recently, deer ticks from New Jersey had a higher prevalence of Bartonella organisms than of Lyme organisms.

It is unclear whether the organism that we see transmitted along with Lyme disease is actually a Bartonella species (such as B. henselae or B. quintana) or is "Bartonella-Like Organism" (BLO) that is yet to be fully identified. While BLO has features similar to organisms in the Bartonella family, it also has features slimiar to the Mycoplasma and the Francisella (causes tularemia) families.

Babesiosis

As with other co-infections, there is a lot of overlap of symptoms between Lyme disease and Babesiosis. An accumulation of the following signs and symptoms probably warrant testing and/or treatment of Babesiosis:

___Chills

___Fatigue and often excessive sleepiness

___High fever at onset of illness

___Night sweats that are often drenching and profuse

___Severe muscle pains, especially the large muscles of the legs (quads, buttocks, etc.)

___Neurological symptoms often described as "dizzy, tipsy, and spaciness," similar to a sensation of "floating" or "walking off the top of a mountain onto a cloud"

___Depression

___Episodes of breathlessness, "air hunger", and/or cough

___Decreased appetite and/or nausea

___Spleen and/or liver enlargement

___Abnormal labs (low white blood count, low platelet counts, mild elevation of liver enzymes, and elevated sed rate)

___Headaches (migraine-like, persistent, and especially involving the back of the head and upper neck areas)

___Joint pain (more common with Lyme and Bartonella)

___anxiety/panic (more common with Bartonella)

___Lymph gland swelling (more common with Bartonella and Lyme)

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good post, Fuzzy.

Maybe worth "stickying?"

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nori
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8983

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nori     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent post

I can vouch for the Bart list!!

--------------------
Nori

Posts: 109 | From Virginia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm... I must have babs and bart
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for posting this, Fuzzy! [Smile]

I can print this off now and take it to our LLMD. He's going to wonder how I got ahold of his lists without him giving it to me though! hahaha.

That's strange: for Babs it said, "Abnormal labs (low white blood count, etc.)"

I definitely have that problem. Thought only Ehrlichia could do that, but have been taking Doxy for so long, if it was Ehrlichia you'd think it would have cleared up or at least helped my WBC rise some, but it hasn't budged.

I am definitely going to talk this over with my LLMD. I have lots of symptoms of Babs and we already know I have Bart.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ByronSBell 2007
Unregistered

I have slightly low white count too. [Roll Eyes]
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ByronSBell 2007:
I have slightly low white count too. [Roll Eyes]

Sadly, mine isn't slightly low, mine's pretty bad. [Frown] Like 2.4 when it should be 4.0 - 10. It's so annoying and scary all at the same time. It's been this way for me since high school though, which is around the time I think I was bit.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chia Pet
Member # 12399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chia Pet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for this.

Confirms what I always believed to be Bart for me even though I tested POS many years ago for babs, I do not think I have Babs any longer or at least it's not the main source of my angst.

Posts: 85 | From here | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuzzy,

thanks so much for this; i'll add it to my newbie package,
[group hug] [kiss]

and will send LOU BACHMAN A PM asking him to make this list a STICKY FEATURE...that stays at top for newbies/oldies to use as needed!

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuzzy, did you notice; lou put you RIGHT ON TOP! do you feel high and mighty now? lol [Big Grin]
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lol, betty, no I didn't notice at first that lou had put a sticky on this thread. Anyway, I hope it's helpful to some folks.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many "yes" answers indicate you have that particular co-infection?

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI all you West Coasters - According to one of the good Lyme docs out here in California, Babesia here is a little different than back east.

Patients tend not to have the anemia, air hunger and tiredness as much. I also understand that Babesia infections out here tend to show up less on blood tests (although there are plenty of people back east that told me they had negative tests too)

Also, I didn't see mention of neck and upper back pain and stiffness with Babesia, and this is a common symptom.

My white blood cell counts have been hoovering around 2.5. Started Babesia meds (mepron/zithromyacin plus artemesia). Will see if WBC go back up.

Amanda

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
map1131
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fuzzy, I can't say thank you enough for this post. I've been thinking about my sx lately and more importantly my soon to be 7 oldest grandson.

We both are looking more and more likely to be bartonella victims. Makes sense, both of us were together much of the summer, since I was his day care provider. We both had embeddedd ticks on us early June 07.

We had been to a state park together and also to his t-ball field in a surrounded by woods and wildlife area together just two-three days before.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rose
Member # 13993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Rose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been having so many serious health issues as of late with a new problem now of acute Rhabdomyolysis has anyone had this from their treatment for Lyme?
Posts: 3 | From Louisiana | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI AGAIN EVERYONE!! This is my 2nd try!! How many Yes answers to these lists indicate you have that co-infection?

The Rose - you should probably post that question under a New Topic in main forum area so it can be seen.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

hi lymebytes,

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question. The doc used these questionnaires to aid in making a clinical diagnosis. It's not the only diagnostic criteria that was used either. I happened to have all of the symptoms except for one on the bart questionnaire. I also tested positive for bart via Fry labs. Tested negative for babs but I do have all but about 3-4 of the symptoms on the questionnaire for babs. So babs has not been ruled out yet in my case.

I don't believe these questionnaires are meant to be all-inclusive. That is, they don't list all the symptoms associated with Babs or Bart. And, as is stated in the Babs questionnaire, there can be a LOT of overlap of symptoms between Lyme and the co-infections.

I think it's helpful to consider that we, as patients, do not have to present with every symptom on a diagnostic questionnaire. Nor do we have to have every symptom listed in a textbook or in a guideline in order to have a particular disease. People can present with only a few symptoms or they can present with all symptoms.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Fuzzy

Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Light sensitivity was a symptom of Babesia for myself as well as EMF sensitivity.

I also had to treat lyme again once I treated babesia, and then back to babesia treatment, then back to lyme treatment.

Some hints that may help others.

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
capebite
Member # 9789

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capebite   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have so many of these symptoms of bartonella but so tremendously exhausted all the time with tremendous head fog...terrible shin pain in my right leg, one sided sweats, shaking, twitching. pain so bad at times that if I had an ax I would have cut it off. Fry test antibodies negative but bart showed in pictures according to lab. I already knew that I had it but noone would treat it so I switched Doctors at the beginning of the week. She is just starting me on Zith oral 250 mgs. BID. Will this help?? She is doing echo as she thinks it is also in my heart. I am so very very sick. Lisa
Posts: 67 | From cape cod | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HamDune
Member # 14139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HamDune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
capebite,

Bartonella can beget fatigue and decreased cognition as well. According to my research and my LLMD's affirmation, Bartonella causes vasculitis through its action on the red blood cells.

This can greatly reduce blood flow to the head, legs, etc. Which could explain a lot of the poor circulatory function for many as well as the reduction in clear thought.

If you haven't already, look into a Fry blood smear test for Lyme co-infections.

Hope this helps! Hang in there. Better days are on the way.

Posts: 85 | From Texas | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IMHisda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IMHisda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you fuzzy for this. I had two strains of Bart (I'm pretty sure it was from my cat since I had the red puffiness from his scratches (which he hardly ever did) Was treated a long time (2 strains) but still have the shin pain and some of the other symptoms. Wondering sometimes if my cat gave it to my hubbie and he's giving it back to me. I hated this disease more than the Lyme. It made me sooo sick!

--------------------
RV

Posts: 249 | From Healing in USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minimonkey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minimonkey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how true this is, but I've heard that red puffiness from cat scratches also happens when someone is even slightly allergic to cats. I know I certainly had it from cats I've had over the years and assumed it was from an allergy, but then again, I'm symptomatic for bart, so I'm a bad example...

--------------------
"Looks like freedom but it feels like death..
It's something in between, I guess"

Leonard Cohen, from the song "Closing Time"

Posts: 822 | From California | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hot socks
Member # 14557

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Hot socks   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! everyone,and thank you fuzzy slippers for posting this. I am new to this disease and need lots of help. so any info you can send my way would help. I am still learning just how to use the computor! I tried to post a subject but not sure it posted.

--------------------
Except the ones you love,be sure that you are also being excepted!!!!

Posts: 16 | From Elkton,MD. | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
inwitari
Member # 14559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for inwitari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am new on this site as well, and would like to thank you for posting this list. It's much more clear than trying to read through a bunch of medical articles on it, while suffering with Lyme fog...

--------------------
"Sweet Summer Spring that breatheth life and growing,
In weeds as into healing herbs and flow'rs...
Rain on your herbs and flow'rs that truly serve,
And let your weeds lack due and duly starve."

Posts: 6 | From Albrightsville, PA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunshinyday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14337

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunshinyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great post Fuzzyslippers.

Thanks again for posting it.

--------------------
Gail

Posts: 234 | From Sterling, Ma | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leogrl54
Member # 10770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leogrl54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
haven't been on in a long time. nothing to earth shattering, just sometimes you get tired of talking about Lyme.
BBBUUUTTT- the bartonella/babesia symptom questionaire is right on. Again this sight never makes me feel alone.
it describes me to a tee-especially the sweats/cognitive dysfunction/gi symptoms-well basically everything fits.
thanks, i have a new primary care. can you believe this(lol), just met him the other day. he wasn't aware there was Lyme in Montana!!!
it never ends

Posts: 76 | From Kalispell, Montana | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BJK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13251

Icon 5 posted      Profile for BJK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All,

Below is a link to a page that has a table comparing the various LD infections and symptom overlap.

http://www.geocities.com/whiteakita22/symtomstable

If you veteran lymies could take a look. I will welcome any PM's to add anything I have missed, this is very easy to edit (it only took about 12 hours to figure that out).

I've been playing with this for a while and filling it in as I learn more, this post was great!

My intent was to isolate symptoms that stood out for specific infections to help in figuring out where focus is needed.

Thanks

BJK

--------------------
BJK

Nothing I write here is medical advice...I'm just another lymie sharing how this disease has affected me personally

Posts: 175 | From Central Maine | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aw3sk3r
Member # 14791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aw3sk3r     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never known that there were such things as coinfections untill a friend of mine with LD informed me.
Posts: 6 | From Boston Ma | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CraigC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CraigC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does Bart/Babs treatment usually require the same timeframe as that of Lyme treatment? Or by some miracle, is it less? I ask this, because obviously I don't want to be on high dosages of abx, for any longer than is necessary.

And please, don't come back with the patented answer..."as long as it takes". [Smile]

--------------------
Craig

Posts: 207 | From Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
1tickedlady
Member # 14907

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1tickedlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the list. I am new to bart and just starting treatment. [Frown]
Posts: 10 | From New England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestig list -- several of the Bart symptoms you list I had always associated with Babesia and not Bartonella.

Craig,

Theoretically Babs and/or Bart should only require 4 - 6 months continuous treatment -- red blood cells have a life span of approximately 120 days. In reality, don't think I know of anyone who got rid of either infection that quickly. Many people end up treating with every known med it seems like and still have a lingering infection even years down the road.

One of the problems is that each infection requires a different set of meds and since the symptoms overlap you are never 100% sure you are even treating the right infection.

Big debate over whether to treat infections one at a time or all at the same time.

Bea Seibert

[ 12. April 2008, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: seibertneurolyme ]

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babesiamom
Unregistered

thought you might find the following helpful. There are some major pieces of data that are missing and are available in major journal articles, publications and in books... some out and two new ones ready to be released on Bartonella and another on why treatment fails...

NEW BABESIA, BARTONELLA and LYME TREATMENT OPTIONS
Reasons Why Past Treatment FAILED

I recently was sent this collection of serious new research by a doctor, who is in the middle of about 5 books related to tick-borne infections. In this link:
http://www.personalconsult.com/bartonella/

he offers some stunning material which I have pasted below:

1) Why routine Babesia treatment like Mepron and Artemisinin/Artemisia fail due to such low dosing.

2) He explains why routine lab testing at even the elite tick infection labs fail to find co-infections such as Babesia and Bartonella fail.

3) This research clinician explains why Bartonella treatment is required for Lyme to also be cured.

4) New research that ALL routine Bartonella infection treatments usually fail.

Sample New Articles
* Ignore Bartonella and Die
* Bartonella is Becoming the Most Important Issue in Treatment of Lyme
* Do Bartonella Infections Cause Agitation, Panic Disorder, and Treatment-Resistant Depression?
* The Bartonella Plague Ignored: A Common Reason Lyme Treatment Fails
FREE indoor mold book chapters.
* Indoor mold is present in 30% of structures and makes Lyme cure hard.
* An article listing three mold toxins and their effects with references Download Article (
* Here are some chapters from the clearest, simplest and probably the most-useful mold book on the market.
PDF of the first 4 chapters of another easy to read indoor mold book. Download Chapters

FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Babesiamom,

Thank you for the information. As I have previously mentioned on this thread, the above questionnaire on Babesia and Bartonella is not intended to include all signs and symptoms of the two illnesses.

This questionnaire is used as a diagnostic tool.

In addition to being circulated by LLMD's and Lyme patients, this list has also been published in Dr. K. S.'s recent book, "The Lyme Disease Solution Book."

I think your post was misleading in indicating that the above Babesia/Bartonella Symptom Questionnaire was missing "major pieces of data."

If you have a particular issue with the above lists and any information they might be lacking, or if you have suggestions on the inclusion of further symptoms, perhaps you can approach the Lyme Literate doctors who have comprised and are sharing this information.

I reiterate, the above list is not intended to include all signs and symptoms of the diseases (and it was never presented as such). It is to be used as a diagnostic aid.

Fuzzy

[ 05-29-2010, 06:56 PM: Message edited by: FuzzySlippers ]

irislove23
Member # 15416

Icon 5 posted      Profile for irislove23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how do you get tested for Bart/Babs?

I am sorry for my ignorance, but I am newly diagnosed and trying to get as much information together as possible before I go see an LLMD

--------------------
You only get one GO AROUND - Live it up!

Posts: 11 | From New Jersey | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems to have been removed from the 'Old Hot' fixed information at the top of Medical questions?????

Its is So useful and important-How does one have it as a fixed item again??

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Hi iris,

Hope I'm not too late in responding to your question. There are a variety of tests that your LLMD can do for co-infections. Co-Infection testing still, though, has it difficulties because even the best tests out there are not testing for all of the strains of bartonella and babesia that are infecting people.

My docs did the FISH test through Igenex for Babesia and the Fry test through Fry Labs for Bartonella.

Hope this helps.

Fuzzy

Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up..
Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babs and Bart - what a nice couple (not!)
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

up for Brainspud and other new members who are interested.
Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you herx with babesia

I started malarone 3 weeks ago and felt the best I have in ages - exactly 3 weeks on treatment and wallop symptoms have come back very bad - I assume its a herx

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tosho
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10191

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tosho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 844 | From home | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dharmacleaning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hallucinations with Babs....6 years later, still having, though not as bad. Just weird:)
Posts: 731 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey sweetie,
Maybe you can post these on www.lymefriends.com in the Bart and Babs group. Also in a general discussion.

That would probably help a lot of people.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

just bumping this for new members.
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

It was actually that symptom q'aire, along with a post at the same site about "babesia rashes" (back of neck) that got me to finally go back to my LLD, after months of no tx, to get retested.

I found them at a different site. I just assumed Lymenet already had them cuz you guys seem to know so much.

I actually made copies of the lists a year ago and checked off all the sx I had on both, for my PCP and LLD. Don't know if either read them.

I had *more* bartonella sx than babs sx, but after retesting off abx many months, I got a poz FISH for babs and 2 poz test for Lyme, but neg for bart. (All Igenix.)

I still wonder if I might have bart. We are tx now for both Lyme and babs.

2 questions:

1. Can anyone help me try to figure out which sx belong to which disease? There is so much overlap.

2. Someone said "underdosing" for babs. I'm 225 lbs, taking 1 tsp Mepron 2xday, 600 mg zith/day, 200mg art 3xday. What do u think?

Thanks for any help.

-Sharon
P.S. I'm going to look at that sx comparison chart link and hope that helps, too.

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Icon 1 posted      Profile for swachsler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BJK,

I've tried your link a couple times, and keep getting a message from Yahoo that the page was not found.

Help?

-Sharon

Posts: 223 | From Western Mass. | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Hi Sharon,

um, I think that might have been a post I made on another forum that you read awhile ago about the back-of-the-neck rash seen in babesia.

When I was given this questionnaire by an LLMD, I posted it here and on other Lyme bulletin boards a year ago. You'll note the date this thread was originated is 1/2008.

Don't know if that answers your query about who posted the questionnaire, when, etc.

I had never heard many people mention the back of the neck rash much. I didn't even know I had it. My doc made note of it on his own during my physical exam. My LLMD's said they see it all the time in Babs. It turned out to be diagnostic for me, as well as many of the other Babs symptoms. I tested negative on two Babs tests but have responded in such way to Babs treatment that there is no doubt that I have it.

I guess I must have one of the many strains of Babs that the labs aren't able to test for.

I'm so glad that I mentioned the rash on that other post on that other forum and that it might have helped you. Golly, and I thought I was rambling on that thread and was even a little embarrassed at how verbose I thought I'd been. lol

Note: People wondering about the rash -- it can usually be seen at the back of the neck, just above the hairline. Sometimes one has to look underneath the hair to see it.

Here is a Co-infection thread that Melanie Reber has kept. It might help you in reading further on co-infection symptoms. It sure has helped me.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/21366

Also, see the Bartonella Information Thread linked below. I included the above questionnaire in that thread. But also within that thread, among the medical abstracts, is a good article by Doc B on Bartonella, links to other good articles, as well as further symptoms lists.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/65655?#000000

As to your second question on underdosing. I'm afraid I'm not sure how to answer that. I do know that many people have found that they have needed to increase the Mepron dose to 1 tsp. 3 times a day. For what it's worth, in his book on Babesia, Doc S. said that he typically doubled the Mepron dose to 2 tsp. twice a day.

BJK's post on this thread was from a year ago. I don't know whether he/she has continued to maintain that link or not.

Hope this helps and I do hope you start to feel improvement with your treatment. Stay strong!

Fuzzy

swachsler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18155

Oh my goodness, Fuzzy, thank you so much for posting this and PM me! I have been searching for you (not knowing it was you), for so long!

You are the only other person I've found who has mentioned the babs rash, and none of my other docs, including 2 LLMDs, had heard of it. And it's exactly where you described!

I have spoken to my LLMD since I posted the above and listed my bart sx, which I gleaned from Lymenet, Burrascano 08, and an online search of bart/psych sx. I have almost all the bart sx.

I think she does now also think I have bart, but we are trying to treat other issues first. I will look at those links, and I want to PM you about the babs rash.

Yes, your posts were truly useful to me. I saw them in the summer or early fall of 08, I believe. I know it was before Oct., because that's when I got my Igenix tests redone.

-Sharon

FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

bump for newbies.
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

bump for new members.
littlebit27
Member # 24477

Icon 1 posted      Profile for littlebit27   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a great list. I might print it out so I can take it with me to my next appt with my LLMD since I seem to forget all my symptoms when asked what they are, lol.

--------------------
*Brittany Lyme Aware on FB*
http://littlebithaslyme.wordpress.com/

Posts: 2310 | From Southeast | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for bumping this up.

Helpful for oldies too.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc indicated I tested borderline for both. I suspect I have both and Bart being my most serious problem aside from Lyme. I have sweats, calf pain / twitching, GI issues / gastritis, anxiety.

It is all much better now. Was terrible in March / April.

I think I have a little babesiosis problem too, but not as bad as bart.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Bumping this to the top since we seem to have alot of new members at this time.

To new members:

Babesia and Bartonella are two infections that are commonly seen in people with Lyme Disease. These infections are often referred to as "co-infections."

There are many other infections(i.e, "co-infections") that are seen with Lyme Disease as well.

To see more detailed lists of symptoms for Lyme Disease as well as co-infections, there is a thread on Lymenet that is kept permanently at the top of the Medical Forum, under a post called "Quick Links To Popular Topics":

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/88555

Hope this helps.

bcb1200
Member # 25745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bcb1200     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like these lists. It makes it seem like Bart is my main co-infection rather than BAbs. I have a lot on the Bart list.

Question...why isn't this list published elsewhere? It seems as if most docs want my feet to be sore or for me to have a bart rash before they agree it is bart.

--------------------
Bite date ?
2/10 symptoms began
5/10 dx'd, after 3 months numerous test and doctors

IgM Igenex +/CDC +
+ 23/25, 30, 31, 34, 41, 83/93

Currently on:

Currently at around 95% +/- most days.

Posts: 3134 | From Massachusetts | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

bcb1200,

Actually, this specific list has been published by at least one Lyme Literate Medical Doctor. I don't have the book in front of me at the moment to give you page number references, but it is published in "The Lyme Disease Solution," book by Dr. S.

Dr. B also has included many of these symptoms on his co-infection symptoms lists in his Lyme Disease Treatment Guidelines.

Also, these symptoms are included in many other detailed symptom lists. See the Lymenet thread I posted above for examples.

And many medical articles on Bartonella contain many of the symptoms on the questionnaire.

I guess it's important for us to remember that we don't have to have all of the symptoms mentioned on a particular symptom check list. That is, we can still have Lyme Disease and/or Bartonella and/or Babesia and not experience all of the symptoms associated with those diseases.

As you inferred, the medical doctors need to keep this in mind as well!

There is a Bartonella Information Thread here on Lymenet that I'll bump to the top of the forum for you, in case it might help. It contains more details, including symptoms lists, links, articles, etc.

Fuzzy

FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Just bumping this to the top for any new people that might be interested.
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^^
Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FuzzySlippers:
Hi Sharon,

um, I think that might have been a post I made on another forum that you read awhile ago about the back-of-the-neck rash seen in babesia.

When I was given this questionnaire by an LLMD, I posted it here and on other Lyme bulletin boards a year ago. You'll note the date this thread was originated is 1/2008.

Don't know if that answers your query about who posted the questionnaire, when, etc.

I had never heard many people mention the back of the neck rash much. I didn't even know I had it. My doc made note of it on his own during my physical exam. My LLMD's said they see it all the time in Babs. It turned out to be diagnostic for me, as well as many of the other Babs symptoms. I tested negative on two Babs tests but have responded in such way to Babs treatment that there is no doubt that I have it.

I guess I must have one of the many strains of Babs that the labs aren't able to test for.

I'm so glad that I mentioned the rash on that other post on that other forum and that it might have helped you. Golly, and I thought I was rambling on that thread and was even a little embarrassed at how verbose I thought I'd been. lol

Note: People wondering about the rash -- it can usually be seen at the back of the neck, just above the hairline. Sometimes one has to look underneath the hair to see it.

Fuzzy

Can anyone tell me more about the Babesia rash Fuzzy is talking about? Is it raised or flat? Might it look like a strawberry rash? (Hope not. If it does, don't tell me! No, go ahead.)

Thanks, Carol, for bumping this - fabulous info!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement