LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Cholestyramine--- take or not to take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cholestyramine--- take or not to take?
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha,

Been reading up on Cholestyramine...

Does it really help us Lymies out that much?

Anything besides constipation that I should know....

Anyone had a bad experience with it?

Only great ones?

Just hesitant to take another pharmaceutical, if I don't really have to....

Does it make you feel weird?

Can you just stop or do you taper off it?

lots of questions...I always want to know it all before I take something new...

Been googlin' and the search on here, and read lots about it....

from what I understand it's used for high cholesterol and is not supposed to be absorbed into out bodies....it binds to bile acids and is excreted in our feces...right?

so bile acids = toxins and waste?

so people with high cholesterol have lots of toxins (from their poor diet?)

sorry if this is really elementary....just trying to understand why a cholesterol medication is used for us to bind toxins....think i get it...but maybe not...???

many mahalos~

hugs and smiles~
Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0624sm
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0624sm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KG, My husband takes a double dose of Questran every night, and it's been a life safer. He was prone to constipation already, but the Questran hasn't made it any worse than it already was. There has been quite alot of discussion of cholestyramine on cpnhelp.org, if you care to check there too.

--------------------
Dallas caregiver for husband Steve who has Bb, Cpn, Mpn, EBV, CMV, other Herpes family viruses

Posts: 51 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you take it if you have chronic diahhrea??

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It pushed my unbearable nerve pain past unbearable. I have read different explanations for this.

Everyone is different. For most people, the worst side effect is constipation. However, since constipation is a bad thing if you're trying to get rid of toxins, this would seem to be counter-productive.

I was taking it four times a day. Perhaps it's a dosing issue, I don't know. I've been too scared to try it again.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know if there are major differences between chlorestramine & just using other mopping up products like clay, charcoal, psylium seeds, chlorella, zeolites, etc.?

I was taking Welchol for a while but it did make me constipated. My doctor said it was OK to take around other drugs but I now have some doubts...

Do these drugs absorb the effects of other drugs, herb, supplements you may be taking?

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
Do these drugs absorb the effects of other drugs, herb, supplements you may be taking?

Yes, they do. You have to take them at least 2 hrs away from other meds.

Scheduling is a nightmare with this stuff.

I took CSM and it cleared my brain fog for about 10 days. Then it began making my stomach hurt terribly. I think it may have affected my gallbladder.

I finally had to give it up after several months. I also struggled with constipation the whole time.

Randi.. It would probably help your diarrhea!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are any of these NOT constipating?

My digestive system barely moves (no peristaltic action) so I don't want to add anything that is going to make that worse.

BUT...my body isn't detoxing what we're killing off. So I'm pretty toxic. So I DO need something...

I'll be waiting and reading the responses here too [Smile]

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cholestyramine must be taken away from meds and foods or it will absorb them.

It can deplete vitamin K.

Many lyme patients have a reaction to cholestyramine. Actos is given to down regulate pro-inflammatory cytokines making it much easier to tolerate cholestyramine.

http://www.personalconsult.com/articles/cholestyramineformold.html
"Here is a sample of research showing that while other agents can remove some select biotoxins, that cholestyramine, in our experience, seems to be the best global biotoxin binder."

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi fawne,

Are you taking cholestryamine for mold-related neurotoxins, lyme-related, or both? if you've tested for mold, I don't think any bile binders will mean squat of a difference if you don't remove yourself from the mold.

I've spoken with a few LLMDs about possibly taking the CSM, and they all advised me to move out ASAP, and then start plugging away with natural binders (chlorella, IV glutathione, activated charcoal, pectasol, modifilan/LIMU-brown seaweed extract) I think CSM works for some but doesn't work so well with others...but I am considering using it ONCE i move out only if constipation isn't an issue for me.

-joey

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cascara sagrada is very good to relieve constipation. The green part of the aloe is good, too.
Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sparkle7:
Cascara sagrada is very good to relieve constipation.

I found out the hard way that it will stain the colon like laxatives will. My GI dr accused me of laxative abuse, when it was the cascara sagrada I had taken years prior!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops i think i screwed up. i bought the charcoal in capsules and it said to take with meals, so i take the probiotics at 6 a.m., then about 10 take the antibiotics, then about 12 or so, take all the vitamins with lymph node capsules, the charcoal and milk thistle.

am i supposed to take the charcoal separate?

this is so confusing!! i agree, i'm scheduing pills all day long!!!

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Activated charcoal does bind toxins but not mold or lyme biotoxins according to a naturopathic doctor that I talked to. I don't know about the other items that are listed. I know they remove some toxins but I would check with your doctor or Dr. S (mold warriors author) via his website to see if he knows if they are successful for the type of toxins that you re trying to get rid of.

randibear, yes, you must take charcoal away from other substances.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...after a quick search I found some positive things about IV glutathione. Does that have the same benefit? I've had it before and it didn't seem to help me, maybe I even had some icky detox symptoms after...but I know that could also very well mean that it was in fact helping. You're right, this IS kind of confusing.

I just mentioned IV glutathione because I think it's the only thing that doesn't cause constipation...

[ 07. August 2008, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: LittleLymie19 ]

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I removed myself from the moldy environment of my house in connecticut to Colorado and I didnt notice any difference.

If I eat sugar the symptoms come back anyway. That goes for dairy too.

I mean that it didnt make a tremendous difference.

At least Im not getting nightmares where Im being stabbed in a prison yard and my eyes arent burning (this happens from mold and antifungals).

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After taking it and then being cold all the time from it messing with my bile my vote is a giant NO!

I would do apple pectin or something more natural. Lymebytes has a good article she wrote on her website on the subject. If you cannot find her article send her a pm.

If you do end up taking it get it without the fructose in it. The fructose in the brand my LLMD wrote the Rx for pushed my yeast over the edge and I have yet to get back to normal.

I personally wish I had never taken it.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0624sm
Member # 15591

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0624sm   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's true that not everyone can tolerate cholestyramine.

But for those who can tolerate it, it is very beneficial at binding endotoxins and porphyrins.

Anyway, it's a prescription drug that is fairly well known to the medical mainstream, so it's something your prescribing doc can provide some helpful information on (unlike LD).

--------------------
Dallas caregiver for husband Steve who has Bb, Cpn, Mpn, EBV, CMV, other Herpes family viruses

Posts: 51 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KauaiGoddess
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11782

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KauaiGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aloha Everyone~

Thank you for all your replies!!!
smiles...

I have decided that I am going to hold off on this for now......really just not sure I want to add another pharmaceutical...rather stick to the natural toxin binders for now.....

thank you all!

0624-

I'll check out that site cpnhelp.org- thanks...

raindeer-

I read in my natural medicine book that cholesterol medication is sometimes prescribed to Crohns patients....hence the diarrhea....

sparkle-

one difference is chol. is a pharmaceutical and the others are natural ways...as far as their toxin binding...I was wondering too...

littlelymie19-

have you tried colonics? my LLMD recommend I try them...honestly amazing...really showed me how dehydrating these anti's are to the poor colon...my stools moved fine for 3 months after 3 sessions... [Smile] now I am going back today...

also, I do glutathione cream which is a prescritpion through a compounding pharmacy- Lee Silsby (sp?) ...it seems to be helping...

Terry-

thanks for the link... [Smile]

mOjoey-

I was going to take it to help bind more toxins...more Lyme related...just wanted to be all I could to help my body out, but now I put the brakes on cause I do not want to take another pharmaceutical...

havn't had mold test done yet...

MANY MAHALOS~

hugs and smiles!

Fawne

--------------------
Energy flows where attention goes~

Posts: 302 | From Kauai | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took this for almost 3 weeks but could never get to full dose due to me taking so much other stuff. Scheduling this really is a nightmare.

HOWEVER, one other thing is that I had to stop this due to chronic diarrhea I got with it. It was really BAD and ran through me.

WHY? I have no clue at all but I am dealing with high levels of both lyme and mold biotoxins according to my labs done through LabCorp.

I sent Dr Shoemaker an email but never heard back from him. I am very curious why I got chronic diarrhea on it.

Anyone else?

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
orrn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for orrn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have asked 2 LLMDs about this drug and both didn't even want to consider it. Would hardly even discuss it. Weird!

orrn

Posts: 239 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been on CSM for almost a year. I have both the mold and biotoxin gene. I had some constipation but nothing a simple stool softener didn't help.

My LLMD would like me to try Nanochitsan but I'm one of those scared people who think, "if ain't broke, don't try and fix"

CSM has helped my Mother's mold issues tremendously. I think we're both official "fans" of the product.

We prefer the sugar-free capsules that you can have your doc order at Lionville Pharmacy in PA. 600 mg capsules (6 capsules = 1 powder pkg)

Phone Number for those who are interested:
610-363-7474

Best,

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh gosh - I know this protocol has helped so many, but with my particular physiological makeup it messed me up big time!

Increased my imflammation at least twofold - I'm still experiencing some of the changes 3 years later!

So, this was my personal experience.

But for some I realize it's a lifesaver.

Tough call.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Clarissa
Member # 4715

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clarissa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm SO sorry, Larkspur. That's horrible. [shake]

It just never ceases to amaze me how one drug can be someone's magic bullet and, at the same time, be someone's total nightmare.

Diabolical!!

--------------------
Clarissa

Because I knew you:
I have been changed for good.

-

Posts: 1625 | From Florida | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Larkspur:
Oh gosh - I know this protocol has helped so many, but with my particular physiological makeup it messed me up big time!

Increased my imflammation at least twofold - I'm still experiencing some of the changes 3 years later!

So, this was my personal experience.

But for some I realize it's a lifesaver.

Tough call.

I wonder if this is what happened to me? As soon as I went off it (due to chronic diarrhea) I went into a very bad herx and still in that herx 3 weeks later.

I am hurting really bad.

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement