LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Wanna lower your cholesterol bigtime???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wanna lower your cholesterol bigtime???
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Naturally???

Hubby just got a report back from the doctor after 3 months on Omega 3's [be sure to get 1000mg of the EPA and DHA] and Red Yeast Rice [600mg].

<<<< You must make sure the total of the EPA and DHA is 1000mg .. there are products out there with lesser quantities even though it may say "1000mg" of Omega 3's. >>>>

His cholesterol went from 287 to 182!!! I kid you NOT!

His HDL went way up too, but I don't have the original blood test and don't remember what his HDL was before the second test.

Amazing what can happen when you have a smart doctor!

PS... just to be clear,

He's taking 600mg of RYR twice a day.
2000mg of Omega 3's twice a day.

I wasn't clear on that at all!!

[ 17. January 2009, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Lymetoo ]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
good for your hubby! thanks for sharing what dr. told him. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viva
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tutu,

Did he make other changes too, like diet and exercise?

I'm very interested, since we just found out my daughter has high cholesterol, and of course the conventional doctors aren't going to know about these supplements.

How wonderful for your husband!

Viva

Posts: 532 | From southeast US | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, thank you, Tutu, for sharing this advice.

I am going to try it. Currently, I'm on 2 Niaspan each AM, and that is only working a little, even with changes in diet.

I did not want to start yet another pill...statin.

So, I'm thrilled to hear your hubby's success.

Hugs,

lifeline

[ 18. January 2009, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: lifeline ]

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is great to hear. My doc put me on RYR as well for very high cholesterol, like 250 high (and I'm only 25!!!!!!!! [Roll Eyes] )

Anyway, I'm really hoping the red yeast rice helps!!! Nothing else has helped. And I don't even consume animal products so I don't even take in any cholesterol with what I eat.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FancyRatFan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FancyRatFan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's Great Lymetoo!!

I'd like to know to, did he make changes on the diet and exercise?

Fancy

Posts: 258 | From San Diego, CA USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked up Red Yeast Rice, since I'm not too familiar with it, and on About.com., it stated that RYR used to be combined with a statin and that it why it lowered cholesterol.

It also stated that the FDA made companies take the statin out and that very much lowered the cholesterol lowering abilities of RYR.

Here is the article.

http://heartdisease.about.com/cs/cholesterol/a/Nrxcol_rry.htm

Tutu, do you know anything about this, and will RYR still work?? and do you now have to get it with a prescription? I don't know.

Thanks.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Policosanol ( 20 mg ) purchased at Walmart brought mine down too .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lifeline - RYR is obviously still working for people. I've heard of others doing well on it and it lowering their cholesterol.

I am hoping it lowered mine as I've been taking it now for a while. I will know in a couple of weeks.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Red Yeast Rice caused the same horrible muscle pain and fatigue that I had with statins, so I had to stop it. I understand it is biologically identical to Mevacor, which is why the FDA was trying to have it removed from the market.

I had wondered why I always got so sick and had so much pain after I ate my favorite pork and snow peas at a Chinese restaurant, and now I know why. The red color around the edges of the pork is RYR. This is one reason why the average Chinese has a total cholesterol level of 128.

Neither Policosanol nor oxycosanol did anything for my numbers. I am glad they worked for someone.

Just 100 mgs. of regular Niacin made my skin burn so badly that I ran outside with no coat in the winter, screaming in pain for twenty minutes and swore I'd never take it again. The effective dose is 3,000 mgs. No way!

I use Neptune Krill Oil, which is safer than fish oil (no mercury issues), and far better absorbed. It also does not cause gastric reflux or belching. For more info, mercola.com has a lot on krill oil.

One third of people who take fish oil have a paradoxical response, where their bad numbers go up instead of down, and I was one of them. That does not happen with krill oil.

I take 4 gelcaps of Source Naturals neptune krill oil daily, which is double the dose on the bottle, on the advice of my cardiologist.

It lowered my total cholesterol from 279 to 192. It lowered my triglycerides from 489 to 125. It lowered my LDL from 261 to 131.

Unfortunately, it did not raise my low HDL nearly enough, which went from 32 to 37. The only thing I've ever found that raised my HDL was to eat a lot of walnuts or almonds, at least 20 per day, and that piles the weight on. Yes, I do exercise six days per week...it hasn't helped.

Krill oil may be worth trying for those of you who can't tolerate statins. Not to mention that statins deplete the body of COQ10, eventually causing congestive heart failure.

klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom's cholesterol dropped dramatically on even small amounts of red yeast rice. She can't tolerate the statins due to crippling muscle pain.

Unfortunately, she then developed the muscle pain from the red yeast rice and had to abandon it.

Like Klutzo posted, I've been taking krill oil recently (in addition to fish oil) and it doesn't have the "fish burps" or aftertaste of so many fish oils.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viva:

Did he make other changes too, like diet and exercise?

VERY little. He was actually walking less the last 2 months of the 3 mo .. and still was eating pretty much what he wanted. He did cut back on the pizza!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Lifeline...Red Yeast Rice is OTC.

Of course they want to outlaw RYR, it cuts into their profits with the statins. Big Pharma rules.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cholesterol rises and falls for certain reasons. There are several threads here that you can read.
Dr. K. always warns - going below 180 - dangerous.
But read here. If you do a search, there are several more threads besides this one that discuss this subject.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039669

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fifi25
Member # 16675

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fifi25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my husband use RYR and guggl and works very good for him . it did lower his cholesterol.

his doctor gave him Niaspan and makes him feels like an old man , can't move. all his joint hurts.

if you want to take niacin , buy niacinamide doesn't cause hot flashes.

Posts: 36 | From los angeles , ca | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

I just got my results back the other day. And I've been taking RYR and my results are:

Cholesterol, Total: 264 (before: 325)
LDL Cholesterol: 167 (before: 218)

So there is a big difference, but they are still in the high range - probably because my cholesterol was SUPER high before - 325 and I'm only 25 years old and vegan even!!! My doc wants me to taking 3 caps of RYR now instead of just the two to see if that helps lower it even more.

I never had a problem with my triglycerides or HDL. They are always in good ranges.

--------------------
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement