LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » We've lost a LymeNet friend...Kathryn Hopper, aka Stinkbug...6-20-09 Memorial Service

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: We've lost a LymeNet friend...Kathryn Hopper, aka Stinkbug...6-20-09 Memorial Service
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please see the Memorial Service information below on the reply from Opal Mirror

It has been a harsh winter for Lyme fatalities.

Many of you may remember StinkBug. Here are a few of her posts...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/12909?#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/3/12636?#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/34681?#000000

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/34668?#000001

Kathryn Hopper, 47, Oregon

http://flickr.com/photos/opalmirror/sets/72157613426166226/

Born 1961 Hay River, Northwest Territories. Died 2009 Colton, Oregon. She grew up and lived in Saanichton and Victoria, and spent 13 years on Gabriola Island, where I met and fell in love with her and coaxed her down to Beaverton and finally Colton, Oregon. She was a flame that burned very brightly and inspired her communities, which included wild animal rescue, middle eastern dance, feline asthma education, Wiccan/pagan advocacy, Lyme Disease advocacy, and the Storm Large ballzboard.

She was an artist, musician, dancer, teacher, writer, and leader. She naturally collaborated with the brightest and the movers and shakers, but made everyone feel heard and included. Her sense of humor constantly surprised and delighted people. She worked so hard to please others often to the detriment of herself. She suffered from Lyme Disease, babesia and erlichiosis, depression, and other conditions and these contributed to her decline and death at age 47.

[ 06-05-2009, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: Melanie Reber ]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CanLyme link with more information:
http://www.canlyme.com/

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Melanie. Very sad news indeed. Does anyone know the cause of death?

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damnit I hate this disease.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am so sorry to hea this. and there are stupid people who say "oh lyme can't kill you." yeah, right....

she was young....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a shame. Another loss that was unnecessary.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sending prayers to her family and loved ones.

So sorry to hear the news.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeMECFSMCS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13573

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeMECFSMCS   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She sounds like such an interesting person and vibrant spirit. Many prayers for her loved ones. So sad.
Posts: 929 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok yall..im newbie at this..just finally dx in sept 08 and this is the third or maybe 4th death I have read about once I got my diagnosis and started hitting the research hard and heavy, I know recently there was another woman who was activist who also died from this......gotta say this is scary...

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Thanks for posting this Melanie.

Great photo of her at that first flickr link. What a smile!

It's too bad she had to be in one of the very worst states for medical care, regarding lyme + co.

The Oregon Medical Board simply does not allow doctors to talk of tick-borne disease, much less to learn about or to properly treat such infections.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not certain at this time what the official cause of death was...but have surmised, perhaps incorrectly, perhaps not...that this may also be a suicide.

If you read the comments from her husband, he says "She just couldn't cope anymore", and "People are spending lots of time talking with me. I think it made sense to state the fact widely."

http://flickr.com/photos/opalmirror/3254372284/

I'll try to find more information soon. Thanks to each of you for your expressions of condolences.

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stinkbug, REST IN PEACE!

i remember you and your posts although i didn't post on the ones where you mentioend meds i was not on, etc.

i'm so sorry! thanks mel for the links you showed above, etc. i read them all, and skimmed the last one at bottom as i was having a hard time following that one.

STINKBUG, YOU ARE GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN, and you no longer have any depression and cured of lyme!

i know you'll be pounding your lyme drum in heaven for all the activism that we are doing here on earth! maybe YOU can drill some sense into our leaders in congress/CDC/IDSA....i won't hold my breath on that one; but it won't hurt either! [Smile] [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so sad to hear this. It makes me so angry that it has to come to this. Stinkbug I hope you've found peace!

God Bless!

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

2 obituaries today; both age 47; both suicides.

i just emailed the other person's family using website found on his obit.

so sad; RIP KATHRYN HOPPER!! Kurt Billing joined you too. [group hug] [kiss]

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad, just so sad. I wish this whole picture would change soon. Real soon, before we loose anymore victims to this madness.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Larkspur
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5131

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larkspur     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry to hear this. My condolences to her family. I hope she is in peace now.

--------------------
"We must be willing to get rid of
the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us" - e.m. forster

Posts: 921 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slymed
Member # 20569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slymed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Missing my friend, StinkBug (Kathryn Hopper), and very sad for her loss in February due to suicide. There's not another like her. She spent innumerable hours during the spring and summer of 2005 walking me through the hell of Lyme and, for all I know, possibly saving my life. Thanks to her, and the knowledge she gained here, I was treated appropriately early and I seem to be okay today.

Thanks all,

C.

Posts: 1 | From Maryland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I receive daily devotionals from David Wilkerson, Pastor of Times Square Church. Today's devotional seems so appropriate here in light of 3 suicides now known to relate to the depression of lyme disease.

I post this in memory of Kathryn Harbor, Kurt Billings and all others suffering from this awful disease.

Be anxious for nothing; but in everything prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God Philippians 4:6

http://davidwilkersontoday.blogspot.com/

May everyone today who seeks it, know the complete love and peace and healing of the Lord our God. His arms are open to ALL who seek him.

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My prayers go out to Kathyrn's family. May God releive her from all the pain, finally.

It makes me sick to my stomach when I see this stuff, but it is the reality of the disease.

I am tired of the IDSA not realizing this. They have thier heads up there(you know what) while people are truly suffering.

What does it have to take? Millions of people?

It is a sad day, God Bless Kathryn.

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God Bless Kathryn

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I pray that your soul has found the rest that your body could not get in your Lyme-cursed life.

In heaven, praise God, there is no Lyme, no babesia, no ehrlichia, no depression, no sadness, no pain, no illness....

Heaven has gained a wonderful spirit, and I know your loved ones wait anxiously for the day they see you again.

God bless you, Kathryn.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so deeply sorry to hear this. My heart sank when I read this.

Mighty prayers go out to Kathryn's family and prayers of gratitude go up to Kathryn for all that she was to the lyme community and others.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nessa143143
Member # 20340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nessa143143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I misunderstand? Was it suicide or a complication from Lyme? I know that depression is a complication of Lyme, but I guess I mean a physical complication from Lyme?
Posts: 63 | From Hell - Or at least it feels like it, Oh, I mean Tampa, FL. OOOps! :D | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do remember her posts and of course her screen name. Now that I've seen her photos on Flickr, it is obvious she was such a vivacious person she was - so full of life with such eclectic interests. It makes this so much sadder.

My heart goes out to her husband and family.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sad. I am so sorry and praying for her family.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way too young to go....

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Nor shall death part us; for in the fullness of time we shall be born again at the same time and in the same place as each other;

and we shall meet, and know, and remember, and love again."

[ 06-06-2009, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: zombie_mummy ]

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

All of your beautiful sentiments bring such bittersweet tears to my eyes. I will try to get this link sent to her husband soon.

M

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
May her family find comfort, peace and strength.

My condolences.

Rest in Peace, Kathryn.

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

i brought up in SUPPORT a post she had made; quite entertaining! [Smile]

tincup's 5 toed strategy for success

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/3/12909

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is so sad and scary. In Lyme Chat we average about one person a week who comes in actively suicidal. So far we haven't lost anyone, but it is the support and active voices of all of us here who happen to be in the room at the time who have undoubtedly spared some desperate souls.

That and our tendency for insomnia, and being on there late at night when one of us is feeling that low. It's a scary thing, but this brings it to the forefront of my mind, how actively we support each other along these lines on a regular basis.

Lymies saving lymies. We need more of that. We had a bright, beautiful very young woman last night who was about to shoot her PICC line full of air and end it all. We told her we would stay up with her all night if we had to.

We need each other. We need to know we can reach out to one another.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Soul at Last

The Lord's terrifying kindness has come to
me.

It was only a small silvery thing--say a piece
of silver cloth, or a thousand spider webs
woven together, or a small handful of aspen
leaves with their silver backs shimmering.
And it came leaping out of the closed coffin;
it flew into the air, it danced snappingly
around the church rafters, it vanished through
the ceiling

I spoke there, briefly, of the loved one gone. I
gazed at the people in the pews, some of them
weeping. I knew I must, someday, write this
down.

Mary Oliver

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpalMirror
Member # 7345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpalMirror   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I am the widower of Kathryn Hopper. I'd like you to know you are invited to attend Kathryn's memorial. Details may be found at the following link:

Invitation to Kathryn Hopper's Memorial Picnic

Please spread the word, and please RSVP if you are coming so I can figure out how many to prepare for.

Kind regards,
James

Posts: 4 | From Colton, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nessa143143
Member # 20340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nessa143143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How sweet to invite everyone to her memorial service. Very nice....

I am sorry for your loss.

Posts: 63 | From Hell - Or at least it feels like it, Oh, I mean Tampa, FL. OOOps! :D | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

james,

if i lived close to oregon; i'd be there with bells on! i'm in iowa ....

i'd like to share with you my online sympathy poems link, and may you find comfort in them.

``SYMPATHY'' POEM COLLECTION by Betty G

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=014207

REST IN PEACE KATHRYN... [group hug] [kiss]

[ 06-13-2009, 02:16 AM: Message edited by: bettyg ]

bettyg
Unregistered

hi melanie,

june 20 memorial picnic for kathryn said her husband; any chance you could edit this to others know of this in oregon & perhaps they might be able to attend representing the lymenet family? thanks for consideration...

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James - very sorry to hear of her loss. If I was in Oregon, I'd come... - Robin
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

thanks melanie! johnny on the spot! [Smile] hope you are feeling better ... hugs
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Thanks Miss BG... I think I am making some improvements.
OpalMirror
Member # 7345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OpalMirror   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for your well wishes. Betty, thank you for the poetry, that is a comfort.

I am doing well and the wrenching awfulness, confusion, and burden of carrying her suffering has mellowed to a tender missing of that crazy girl I loved so much. The copious tears have changed from mudflows to clear mountain streams. I'm not trying to get over it, just get through it, and remember her love, beauty, and grateful years spent as companions.

I am a Lyme survivor, and have had no Lyme symptoms since oral antibiotics and good healthy self-care knocked it down in ~2004. I'm not entirely sure, but maybe we did lick Kathryn's active Lyme infection using the five months of twice-weekly bicillin IM injections. I wouldn't say Lyme was the proximal cause of her death, she had a number of unrelated illnesses that along with the Lyme kept making her world smaller and smaller, and her brain less and less functional.

I did contact OLDN (Theresa) and David Johnson (coordinates Oregon Lyme meetings) and so I hope the word has gotten out amongst the local community.

Health and joy to all,
James

Posts: 4 | From Colton, Oregon, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Out of concern for newcomers who might read this and think that their Lyme is potentially fatal, it might be important to emphasize that Kathryn's death was probably not related to Lyme at all, according to her husband, James.

James, we are very sorry for your loss.

heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
james did not say her death was not related to lyme at all; he simply noted that she had other contributing factors. i think it is important to keep in mind that lyme can exacerbate and even cause suicidal ideation, so that we know to be watchful of such tendencies in order to keep ourselves and our loved ones safe.

rest in peace, kathryn.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is almost a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" when you Lyme, depression, and other things going on.

I'm sure Lyme had a hand in it. Thinking of you, James.....

--------------------

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

opal,

i'm so glad you found comfort in the poems i've collected online & have in the link above! many of these have helped me in coping with the loss of 7 immediate families since 1979; majority from 1989 - 2001.

thanks for posting and feel free to come and visit us anytime when you are really down and wish to talk about kathryn/stinkbug! what a nickname [Smile] lol

do you happen to know who she chose that nickname?

thanks for sharing that you had lyme before but got to remission.

due to the many complications that lyme creates in the other body organs, many lyme deaths do occur earlier.

yes, this board also has had when members commited suicide since they had lost everything and in all that pain with no assistance.

glad kathryn had YOU to comfort her; to love; open-minded since you had been thru lyme & its mysterious symptoms, and just .... the LOVE OF HER LIFE!

may god comfort you now and in the days, months, and years ahead.

when you miss her terribly, put on a video/dvd of her an enjoy her voice/laughter and watching her mannerisms/gestures ... she will always remain in your heart.

watch for the pennies she will leave you too! [Smile]

hugs/kisses to kathryn's husband ....

Kerryblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kerryblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, What does it take whether suicide(what does that tell the ducks) we are sick.
We are kept just enough alive you do not want to be most days. I have worked with many & stayed up all night with. I lost my best friend to this very quickly she went after yrs. suffering.
If you could see all people basically crawling in for help.
It is so sad this being let out to keep soldiers just enough not to fight has backfired big time.

I send my love to here family/lymie friends.
Sometimes harder on us because we get so close & really know truth this dang illness.

How many more the list is growing daily on put under something else, 1 of our side effects normally. That is what families are fighting for to put the truth about death of their loved 1.

Huggggsss, To all in need, Sure some can use!!
Kerry

Posts: 746 | From Clearwater/fl/Pinellas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OpalMirror
Member # 7345

heiwalove, the official cause was suicide, a self-administered overdose of alcohol and oxycodone. The alcohol was a coping mechanism since she was a teenager which did not serve her health and social connections well in the long term. The oxycodone was prescribed and she typically kept it within reasonable use limits, but she'd saved a large amount of unused medication up so it was on-hand. We all know that our body becomes acclimated to opiates at whatever level you're at, and it stops making its own endorphins, making opiates lose a lot of their effectiveness in the long term. Death from opiates happens because it interferes with the brain's measurement of oxygen levels and it calms/slows respiration, to the point the brain fails to realize it needs to tell the lungs to breathe. It's not a painful way to die, but everything emotional and mental leading up to that is, no doubt, very painful. While it doesn't disfigure the corpse, it is still a sad violence to the body to end a life, yet it is her choice and it is her body, and she is free of pain and confusion.

As our bodies break down from illness, age, aggressive treatments, and perhaps abuse, our brain can be one of the damaged organs. These assaults reduce our ability to choose appropriate coping mechanisms, and especially to learn new mechanisms. One really has to strive, rage against the dying of the light, to learn healthier and kinder ways of being -- because if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got. Also, if you cycle on destructive coping skills it can obstruct and impair others around you in their ability to get through life, or it may alienate others. The few who understand suffering and compassion will try to help, although they can only stand so close to the fire without getting burned. I tried every thing I could to suggest, guide, cajole Kathryn to better ways of taking care of herself, and pleaded her not to make things so terribly hard on me, but we could not work it out and to take care of myself I had to step back from her life to a significant extent. It was awful because I know how much she needed me, even if she was hostile toward me, desperate for relief, mad that I could no longer believe in the impossible of a full recovery. Still I think we each parted with love, even if with heavy doses of pain and confusion.

bettyg, StinkBug was one of about 100 nicknames she came up with on a bulletin board service back in the early days of computers and modems. She loved crazy offensive names because they would put the teeny boys from hitting on her simply because she had a female name... who wants to get it on with a stinkbug, or festeringheadwound, or pustulentboil, or myhusbandis****inganotherwomanandalligotwasthislousytshirt? She took great joy in offending her way to stopping guys from hitting on her.

I know this disease and all the others has given me a very needed lesson in compassion, in respect for people challenged by suffering, of the many different kinds of suffering, and man's inhumanity to man in ignoring or idealizing away people's experience. We must find ways to embrace others and support them to whatever degree best improves the health of each and all.

My remnant here is the grief and the memory of the pain, fear, and anger at the cruel suffering people endure, and that floods out onto themselves and the ones they love. Kathryn wasn't perfect, none of us are, and she had a lot of bad days, but she was very good and a wonderful person, and I am so very blessed for all the good times, and the loving times, we had together.

If there are stories I can share or questions I can answer, any other things that may be a help to this community, I'm only too happy to share.

Kind regards to all.
James

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Wow James,

This is just so heartbreaking and I thank you sincerely for making the effort to explain the circumstances surrounding Kathryn's death.

I just can not fully grasp why some people still are unwilling to acknowledge this very real aspect of the diseased state.

I have thought of you both so much since this occurred, and even pulled up some older emails to read through... wondering, of course, what could we have done to prevent this.

In the end, it was her choice.

One that none of us should ever feel we have to make, and yet... it happens. And so sadly, more times than we are even aware of.

Personally, I feel it is vital to keep her memory alive, to share the whole story so others may learn and bless you James, for doing just that.

Melanie

btmb03
Unregistered

James - you truly have an amazing way with words, touching indeed the amount of insight you have.

I am truly sorry for your loss - and ours.

mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry for your loss James...

thank you for sharing your feelings with us....

thank you for loving your wife...

this illness takes so much from us...

I hope you can continue to think of her with out illness...suffering and in pain....

we will never forget the ones we have lost....
[group hug] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Thanks for staying in touch on here. Kathryn's death really rocked this community, as happens whenever we lose a fellow Lymie.

I am amazed not only by your insight and compassion but by the fact that, no matter how much you are going through yourself, you still reach out your hand to comfort someone else who is hurting.

I am so sorry that this happened, but so glad we have come to become friends. You have helped me a great deal on my "down" days, and I almost feel guilty taking that from you.

You know I am always here to listen, and I know you have a lot of friends and great support system too.

xoxooox

--------------------

bettyg
Unregistered

breaking this up for neuro folks like me can read and comprehend [Smile] betty

JAMES, thanks so much for posting and updating us on things; we share your loss [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by OpalMirror:

heiwalove, the official cause was suicide, a self-administered overdose of alcohol and oxycodone.

The alcohol was a coping mechanism since she was a teenager which did not serve her health and social connections well in the long term.

The oxycodone was prescribed and she typically kept it within reasonable use limits, but she'd saved a large amount of unused medication up so it was on-hand.

We all know that our body becomes acclimated to opiates at whatever level you're at, and it stops making its own endorphins, making opiates lose a lot of their effectiveness in the long term.

Death from opiates happens because it interferes with the brain's measurement of oxygen levels and it calms/slows respiration, to the point the brain fails to realize it needs to tell the lungs to breathe.

It's not a painful way to die, but everything emotional and mental leading up to that is, no doubt, very painful.

While it doesn't disfigure the corpse, it is still a sad violence to the body to end a life, yet it is her choice and it is her body, and she is free of pain and confusion.

As our bodies break down from illness, age, aggressive treatments, and perhaps abuse, our brain can be one of the damaged organs.

These assaults reduce our ability to choose appropriate coping mechanisms, and especially to learn new mechanisms.

One really has to strive, rage against the dying of the light, to learn healthier and kinder ways of being -- because if you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Also, if you cycle on destructive coping skills it can obstruct and impair others around you in their ability to get through life, or it may alienate others.

The few who understand suffering and compassion will try to help, although they can only stand so close to the fire without getting burned.

I tried every thing I could to suggest, guide, cajole Kathryn to better ways of taking care of herself, and pleaded her not to make things so terribly hard on me, but we could not work it out and to take care of myself I had to step back from her life to a significant extent.

It was awful because I know how much she needed me, even if she was hostile toward me, desperate for relief, mad that I could no longer believe in the impossible of a full recovery.

Still I think we each parted with love, even if with heavy doses of pain and confusion.

bettyg, StinkBug was one of about 100 nicknames she came up with on a bulletin board service back in the early days of computers and modems.

She loved crazy offensive names because they would put the teeny boys from hitting on her simply because she had a female name... who wants to get it on with a stinkbug, or festeringheadwound, or pustulentboil, or myhusbandis****inganotherwomanandalligotwasthislousytshirt?

She took great joy in offending her way to stopping guys from hitting on her.

I know this disease and all the others has given me a very needed lesson in compassion, in respect for people challenged by suffering, of the many different kinds of suffering, and man's inhumanity to man in ignoring or idealizing away people's experience.

We must find ways to embrace others and support them to whatever degree best improves the health of each and all.

My remnant here is the grief and the memory of the pain, fear, and anger at the cruel suffering people endure, and that floods out onto themselves and the ones they love.

Kathryn wasn't perfect, none of us are, and she had a lot of bad days, but she was very good and a wonderful person, and I am so very blessed for all the good times, and the loving times, we had together.

If there are stories I can share or questions I can answer, any other things that may be a help to this community, I'm only too happy to share.

Kind regards to all.
James

kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James, you were a blessing to her.
Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TO LIFE
Unregistered

THIS IS WHY IT IS VITAL WE AL LEARN TO BE ARE OWN ADVOATE.

NOT EVEN A LLMD HAS THE ANSWERS FOR EVERYTHING.

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Beatifully said, Kelmo. I agree.

--------------------

OpalMirror
Member # 7345

quote:
Originally posted by Kerryblue:
Hi, What does it take whether suicide(what does that tell the ducks) we are sick.

A suicide doesn't say what we want it to say, it says what others interpret it as saying... if a duck wants to deny the reality of Lyme they will continue to do so, and will explain it away as mental unbalance, until it becomes a medical review board issue, that is, they lose their license for failure to diagnose Lyme and treat it adequately. We're not accepted enough by the medical boards to demand doctors acknowledge and treat us for the core illness.

Love,
James

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement