LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Does Levaquin penetrate the CNS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Does Levaquin penetrate the CNS?
lymeHerx001
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this weird headache now from a little levaquin.

Does it go into the brain?

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For better or for worse.

fqresearch.org

Very important: Make sure to not take any NSAIDS's for the headache (or drink coffee), as the interaction between them and the Levaquin can cause CNS damage, and be on the lookout for the other ADR's.

I personally know someone who developed numbness from it, and I don't think I would ever take a drug in that family.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
adamm I know, I cant help but take NSAIDs.

They lead to GABA antagonism which decreases gaba.

I need to treat.

fqresearch.org
is all nightmare stories like this site at lymenew!

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up
adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any particular reason why you have to stay on the Levaquin, then? Sounds like you're playing Russian Roulette...

Well, hope your headache leaves.

VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to know the answer to this as well.
Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Russian Roulette it is with everything!!!!!!!!!

There are no options to treat my mycoplasma.

Dont know if the cure is worse then the disease.

Maybee i will die of a brain hemorage if im lucky!

I allready feel brain damaged.

then i can collect disability.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

^
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

Icon 1 posted      Profile for VB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...I'm willing to take the risks now if it will help me feel better.

I'm planning on starting levaquin today. Started several months ago for 2 days and got scared from some of the posts on here and stopped.

Now, it's worth the risks to me. I'm tired of struggling with infections.

If anyone can help answer the initial questions... whether levaquin penetrates CNS... that would be much appreciated [Smile]

Posts: 453 | From TX | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

exactlly, im chronically sick.

Thats the worst part.

If I have pain I will stop.

Energy2Heal
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2010

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Energy2Heal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found a book on Quinolones online that has a chart which shows CSF (cerebrospinalfluid) penetration of Quinolones, including Levaquin.

For Levaquin, without inflamed meninges - 16% penetration. With inflamed meninges - 61% penetration.

They point out that good CNS penetration is a double-edged sword because it also increases the chance of adverse effects from the quinolone on the CNS.

All I know from my experience with 6 months of Levaquin is that it helped considerably with my Bart, the symptoms of which were 90% mental/brain related.

Posts: 443 | From The Wild West | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VB
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16824

great info Andrew. Thank you

Just took my first pill!

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

thanx
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

im taking micro amounts.

even then I get the start of a migrane with that.

could be good

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well right after I took this micro dose the veins in my arms next to my wrist started hurting and popping out!

What the hell.

They look all swollen, the veins not the tendons.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

would this be an allergy or blood pressure?

it was very strange

adamm
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of that happening with allergies. you should contact your doc tomorrow.
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

I am going to see him anyway for blood work
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

LLMD sounded unconcerned, why am I not suprised.

He also said his patients dont really have problems with it...?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

^ up up up
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymeherx, Thats probably because its true. Very few people experience toxicity from levaquin. I have read half of the "horror stories" online and I am of the opinion that these people are actually herxing.

Levaquin is a very strong inter cellular antibiotic and I would be dead without it. I did Bactrim and zithro in its place for 3 months and STILL relapsed. A week of levaquin and I am 40% better in a week.

Had I listened to all the horror stories on here I would probably be blind from Uveitis (which is now in remission thanks to 750 mg of levaquin) and insane from infection of the brain from Bart borrelia or whatever we are treating with this ****.

When you kill thee bugs crazy **** happens.What do you expect?? they are swimming around your body and every bit of you. Above all you need to trust your LLMD or get another one. After all the **** I have been through, I would not be surprised if a monkey crawled out my butt during a herx.

Ring your doc. Tell him whats up. Then obey his recommendations.

I feel like myself and Adamm have been tit for tatting everytime there is a post on levaquin. The fact is its a life saver for many.

In my personal experience Advil is not a problem with it either. In fact I had a headache last week when I had a massive herx on levaquin and I took advil for it. Slept like a baby.

Adamm I bet after all this it will turn out to be the drug that cures you. And Shmangosteen will cure me LOL

Oh and levaquin absolutely penetrates the CNS and brain.

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Someone I work with took it for a UTI she is in her 50s at the time, never had a problem.

For me I got my name from Biaxin and the flood to toxins from the bacteria.

Then I developed MCS/vertigo

It wasnt the Biaxin, it was the killing.

I think now that anything would have done it. It was the straw that broke the camels back.

I know that the leviquin is making me herx because my skin feels different afterwards.

NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know. I started with 200 mg of doxy daily 2 years ago. 4 days in I had about 20 symptoms that I had excused away flare like mad. 5 days in I got a ringing in my ears. I knew I had lyme (but not Bart) because that what I was on doxy for.

Had I not known I would be posting all over the internet that "doxy ruined my life", It literally opened the can or worms proper, and they ain't going back in the tin.

In my experience with meds. If I don't herx then I don't get any better.

The only meds I fear taking are: quinalones and flagyl,doxy+rif. why?? because they make me herx like hell. I know there are old timers that would disagree but for me its no pain, no gain.

Lymeherx I hope you make real progress soon.

"I know that the leviquin is making me herx because my skin feels different afterwards"

Thats not a herx thats sounds like a holiday [Smile]

Try curled up in a ball in the dark feeling like a mental case for a day or two. Its a bitter sweet feeling [Wink]

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well what I mean by my skin feeling better is this:

All the time my skin feels tight(painfull) and is in pain.

Right after I herx, my skin feels cool and refreshed and its as if I can "feel" more.

I realize that thats the way normal peoples skin should feel!

I have come so far from that normal nice feeling that yes it feels like a holiday, but it doesnt last long at all.

I dont think theres any other way to go about it.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

well took 1/8 of a pill after work yestuerday.

I woke up at 7:00 pm.

Is that a herx of what, then I felt groggy and in a bad mood, usually happens with a herx.

Today I feel a bit better.

Its strong stuff. Its absolutelly hitting the mycoplasma.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

up for this strong drug
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

ive been having some tendon pain but I dont know if this is normal or not?

Ive only taken 1/8 the dose. I wish there was a blood test to monitor whether or not this is going to affect my tendons.

Does extra mg help?

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

dont know yet if its psychogenic.

I do herx on a small micro dose, as some posters on this board do.

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

levaquin doing me good so far, its taking away my pain and clearing my head.

...have yet to clear 20 mg yet.

I feels simlar to doxy though without all the suicidal thoughts

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement