LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Question: IgeneX and insurance

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question: IgeneX and insurance
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to get bloodwork done through IgeneX.

I know you have to prepay that and all, that they don't do insurance.

But do they send you something to send to your insurance company for reimbursement?

And do you have to request this, or do they just send it to you?

Thanks!

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They will automatically send you receipts to submit to insurance. No need to do anything extra! My Blue Cross at the time gave me about $20 reimbursement, the pathetic pills!!
Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it is worth, the full cost of the test was credited to my BC/BS deductible, when I submitted my receipt.

Back when I had Tricare (as a dependent) they gave me full reimbursement.

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
asummers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18068

Icon 1 posted      Profile for asummers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have BCBS and I was advised to apply for a 'waiver.' I forget the official name for it due to brain fog. If you are interested you can PM me and I will look it up in my medical binder at home.

Basically, I applied for this waiver prior to getting the Igenex test. Someone from the insurance company called me and asked me 'why I had to use Igenex vs Quest.' These types of questions are standard.

They want to know why you can't use a lab/doctor covered under insurance. You basically have to prove to them why you need to use a speciality lab/doctor.

I was told by BCBS that when they called back to be 'very convincing' and prove why you need to go out of the network. Well, I don't think the person on the other end of the phone knew what hit them.

I started explaining the difference between WB & ELISA and the different bands, ect. I went on & on about the difference. Needless to say my research paid off.

Well, I got the lab work covered as if it was an in-network lab. I think I only had to pay 50.00 out of pocket.

I paid Igenex and then BCBS reimbursed me.

I also went this route for my LLMD appointments as well. They reimburse me 175.00 after I pay the doctor.

I had to apply for another waiver to cover the doctor appointments, explain why I was going to a LLMD vs a PCP.

The key is getting the waiver before you get the treatment. It doesn't get back dated.

Posts: 379 | From Sydney, Australia | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
summers,

thx for telling us about WAIVERS; i hadn't heard of this before.

if you are on MEDICARE; IGENEX FILES for that; NO PREPAY THEN!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Medical Mutual last year and Aetna this year.

Both of them I just printed a claim form on their website, filled it out, and mailed it with a copy of the receip that Igenex sent me.

I received my full 80% back! It was a shock! LOL

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have United HealthCare, so I'm not very confident of getting much of anything back from them.

I have trouble sometimes getting doctors who accept this insurane--apparently they don;t have a good track record.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amy C
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was suprised that Aetna gave us all that back too. We have had a lot of troubles with them.

But I figured it was worth a try. We have 3 in our house with Lyme so it was expensive to test.

I just sent a few more to them from our Fry Lab co-infection tests. So we will see.

Good luck!

--------------------
My lyme disease blog:
http://lymetimes3.blogspot.com/
One BIG Lyme family!
I tested CDC + 10/08
My mom Igenex + 11/08 & My brother Igenex + 4/09, My 2 boys some + & IND bands, clinical diagnosis 3/09 (youngest has Aspergers too)

Posts: 470 | From Painesville, Ohio | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amy just brought up something,

geneal was saying since 2-4 of her family tested at ONCE, they were given a family discount; so ask about that if there is MORE THAN 1 TESTING...

i was reimbursed $43 or $34 out of $190 the 1st time.

on medicare 2nd time; paid in full.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
duke77
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5051

Icon 1 posted      Profile for duke77     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
We have United HealthCare
United paid for all of my tests a few years back. I have had no problems with United. Before that I had aetna and cigna, I have nothing good to say about those two companies. If you have seen the movie Sicko, United was one of the only large insurance companies not to have a segment dedicated to them. Michael Moore did mention that their CEO was making like 7 million a year though.
Posts: 649 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

duke77--Well, that's encouraging anyway.

Maybe for once something will work in my favor??? [Smile]

Tiramisu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15082

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tiramisu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Health America reimbursed my WB after about 10 phone calls and 6 months.

They requested more documentation from my PCP. Whatever notes they were given must have worked, but that's funny because I only saw this PCP for the first time and he really had very little insight on my condition.

If you have Health America, you need to keep calling them at every step to be sure they are moving on it.

Posts: 175 | From SW PA | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement