LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Garlic....OWWW!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Garlic....OWWW!!!
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK...I thought I'd throw in a clove of garlic a day. I used to do this for yeast/fungus and felt it doing something.

But it burns going down. Today it hurt really bad.

I washed it down with water and a big bite of my dinner, then more water. It took my breath away it burned so bad.

How do y'all eat it?

--------------------
Never doubt in darkness what the daylight proves to you.

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate garlic, so don't think I could do it!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a few tips.

Always eat it with food.

Smash it up first and let it sit for 30 minutes before eating it. (lets the top level enzymes react) and it burns a little less.

Mix it in with something or spread it on spread.

Chase it with water or something

Pray your $^# off it doesn't burn... haha really i don't know what else to do so let me know if you figure out anymore tricks.

Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yum! Mix some garlic cloves in a food processor with lemon juice and olive oil. Yummy on pita bread...gluten free if necessary.

I also put a couple of cloves in my juice, if you have a juicer this is an easy way.

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hoot
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19281

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it depends on your diet but...
I crush it on a single serving "natural" pizza, pour on some extra virgin olive oil and eat up!
YUM!!!

Hoot

Posts: 236 | From Illinois | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jasmin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... I just learned about letting it sit for a while. I thought that was why it burned so bad tonight. I let it sit for longer than usual. I'll go for 30 minutes next time.

I'm cutting out grains for a while...I'll have to think of something I would like to spread it on.

I think I'll try mixing it with some olive oil next time. I know you use oil to relieve the burning that essential oils can cause.

--------------------

Posts: 418 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jasmin, Dr. Weil says cut up the clove and then take it like a couple of pills. No burning.

I thought it was only a few minutes otherwise you lose the allicin?

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nutmeg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nutmeg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you cut it up and put it in an empty capsule?

Or does that defeat the purpose somehow?

Posts: 386 | From WA state | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quick and easy to chop it up and mix with olive oil or similar and eat on rye cracker, oat biscuit or toast [if you eat bread]. Ilove it like that!

Great as a herb pesto [in blender with olive oil, a herb like basil, parsley or rocket, lemon if you wish] used as a topping on cracker, fish, pasta etc.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jasmin - I normally can't tolerate garlic either, but do really well with the freeze dried garlic. Don't even bother with others that aren't freeze dried. (It should have 20K ppm allin (sp) in it.) It doesn't upset me at all; I was very surprised.

You can purchase from Dr. K (Biopure) but real expensive, or go to Amazon and get freeze dried for 1/2 the price or less.

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Marsy, That's the way I started, but you really need to crush it. I now swallow it and try not to let it touch my tongue, but it still burns.

Nutmeg...it's a sticky mess. [Frown] I don't even want to mess with capsules! And it would take a few. [Smile]

Ping, If the oil mixed with it doesn't help, I'm going to look into freeze dried garlic.

Thanks for the replies!

--------------------

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
J,

I couldn't handle it either. Swallowing those whole chunks was rather strange. I switched to the organic freeze dried garlic long ago.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take the Zhang's Allicin, but boy it's a lot more expensive! My LLD insists on it to keep my liver functions down and it works.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never had a problem with it, I LOVE garlic....I can munch on the stuff like I do onions. [Smile]

Something I do sometimes is mince a few cloves, mix with lemon juice and mix with chopped avocado. Goes down easier!

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jasmin,

I know what you mean! I've been doing 2 cloves per day for awhile now, but consistanly for a month.

Here's what I do with mine. It still burns some, but usually not too bad. I take about 2 T of extra virgin olive oil (cold pressed and it has that yummy fruity flavor) into a little dipping bowl. Put a pinch of sea salt and I grind pepper into it too. Then crush the cloves into it.

I toast 2-3 pieces of Ezekial bread (I think the sesame kind). Then dip into the mixture. It's really really good and provides good fats too.

I got a big chuck yesterday and my face hot really hot and my tongue was burning. I just sat there waiting to see if my face was going to melt!

It didn't.

I was hoping it was crossing the BBB, so I didn't try to stop it. I have gotten bites that were SO hot my face sweated and I had to get a piece of ice and rub it furiously on my tongue!

I have made progress the past few weeks. I'm doing a mostly raw diet and making sure I get the garlic every single day (2-4 cloves, usually just 2 though).

take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slicing the garlic clove into very small pieces and then mixing it with 2 or 3 tablespoons of natural (no sugar added) cinnamin applesauce helps too. There is no burning.
Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Thanks....

Yummm...avacado! That sounds wonderful. [Smile]

I tried it with oil last night and it helped a ton. I had a warm feeling in my stomach after a while, but not pain.

2-4 cloves. I can barely do one! I hope one is enough for some kind of benefit.

--------------------

Lover11
Member # 19686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lover11   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As soon as you cut a clove of garlic you lose much benefit.

The more you take the quicker youll get used to it.

Start with .5 clove then simply move up slowly.

But always try to take it whole if you want the full benefits....

It took me about a week of 1 clove daily to experience no burning.

Posts: 48 | From San Francisco, CA | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Hmmm... I heard that you have to crush it to cause the chemical reaction that makes alicin...?

I am trying 2 a day. I mixed it with coconut oil this morning. [puke] It didn't burn though.

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

With food helps, too. I think you need the buffer of food that will stick with you.

Jasmin, you said you plan to cut out all grains. Why? Grains are very good for us, providing some essential nutrients and helping to keep our blood glucose stable, if in the proper amount.
Grains that are gluten-free are best.

Sadly, Ezekial bread does have gluten from the barley malt added. However, some people seem to do okay with it but it is important to know that it is not gluten-free.

1/2 cup of Quinoa with lentil soup or on a salad or with a stir fry is one of the best ways to go. QUINOA - you can google that and find lots of recipes. It has the highest amino acid content of all grains.

Garlic can cause some serious burns so do be careful. Allicin capsules will not burn like raw garlic and you can get much higher amounts in a capsule.

Hepapro allicin is by far the best and the way it is processed, it is much more available.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Keebler, I love Quinoa...it is so expensive now though. I also adore red lentils. Mmmm....

I'm cutting out grains and other foods for a while to starve yeast/fungus. I'm on diflucan and I want to make the most of it. [Smile]

Definitely just a temporary 1 or 2 week stunt. [Smile]

--------------------

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ugh, i can't tolerate garlic at all. i ate it with food and still burped it up for days afterwards.

i stay away from it, the bulb kind. but i do take a garlic supplement.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peel it very gingerly and insert in the vagina. It will work through your whole system and you don't have it eat it!
Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

peacemama,

I actually read about that years ago on a homebirth site. The report said the mouth and vagina are somehow connected, and you DO taste it. I never forgot about that. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Jasmin,

If you are taking in very little food to try to starve fungus, it can be dangerous to eat raw garlic. You need food in your stomach. And your body needs food. We cannot starve infections. Avoiding sugar is one thing but avoiding the real food we need is counterproductive and can leave our cells very depleted of essential nutrients.

You can buy quinoa in bulk at most natural foods stores. Just 1/4 cup dry makes about 4 servings. It's high amino acid content means that it is very good for your brain and your heart.

It is the highest protein grain around.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jasmin
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19959

Oh no, Keebler! I'm not starving myself. Just reducing carbs to starve the fungus. I eat plenty of nourishing food. [Smile]

It's my version of the Kaufmann Phase 1 diet for fungal infections.

Have you heard of Doug Kaufmann, or his book The Fungus Link? I think that's what it's called...

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement