LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anyone familiar with J's Specialty Clinic in DC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone familiar with J's Specialty Clinic in DC?
17hens
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Am looking for your opinion...

would you recommend it?

have you heard good things about it?

or not.

And yes, I did do a search this time. It sounds like people respect this LLMD, but I'd just like to make sure. Thanks.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard great things about that doc. For lots of years.

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymeXtu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymeXtu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just know the wait is LONG I have been on his list for a couple of months and we are still 3-4 months out.

His office told me he only sees one NEW patient a day and follows up with other patients the rest of the day.

Also spends time in home state ( I think it is South Carolina ) so something like 10 days in D.C. then 4 days in South Carolina.

I believe his family is still in South Carolina.

Posts: 448 | From minnesota | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sleepusalottus
Member # 26340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sleepusalottus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard great things about him as well, but yes, long waiting list. I've been told he's very personable, takes time to truly listen to you, and has a great staff.
Posts: 5 | From Illinois | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mmcmann
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21872

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mmcmann     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend just went to him a few weeks ago and loved him. She had been waiting awhile though.
Posts: 104 | From No. VA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A+!

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an old post that explains his treatment protocol:

(link removed)

He has developed his own pulsing meds protocol and this post also explains his rationale.

A Dr. Puhli is doing the explaining.

(edited by sunnydays to remove more specific info which is unique to this doctor. Also deleted link because the link gives a LOT of info about treatment specifics that we try not to post on Lymenet. If you would like this info, just do a search on Lymenet with doctor's initials and state. I didn't edit the content of the link, but I'm removing the link from this thread.)

[ 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seeing that thread reminded me of Coltman. [Smile] I'm guessing he was really a doctor or medical professional.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, he does not put everyone on IV. But yes, he is a big proponent of it.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He is excellent. I was impressed and glad I saw him.

No IV BTW...he put me on cycled orals of M, W, F for three weeks and one week off.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is awesome! Thanks so very much, everybody!

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be aware, he has a "CMA", Consulting Maintenance Agreement"

A friend of mine went to see him and paid the big bucks for the first visit.

She got home and had an email waiting which outlined this agreement. She wasn't told about this prior to her first visit or even at her first visit.

She had to stop seeing him b/c of thess fees.

She emailed it to me and when I saw it, my jaw dropped. I believe her first visit was close to $1000 which had nothing to do with the membership type agreement.

Here is an Excerpt from the "CMA".

[copy of CMA removed by sunnydays]

So it's clear, I'm not bashing this Dr. at all, as I hear he is great. I just can't afford this kind of money and I do understand why he charges what he does with what he has lost and been through. My only problem is that most of us are weeded out if we wanted to see him due to these huge fees.

I'm only posting this for information purposes only for those thinking of seeing this Dr.

Gary

[ 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:
Seeing that thread reminded me of Coltman. [Smile] I'm guessing he was really a doctor or medical professional.

Hey, I talked to Coltman on PM a couple of months ago and he was doing pretty well.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by seekhelp:

Hey, I talked to Coltman on PM a 2-3 months ago and he was doing pretty well.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In other words, only the rich can see this doctor.

You are looking at ------- a year out of pocket just for the CMA. Plus office visits that probably are not fully covered by insurance. Plus IVs per month that could be as much as $3000 to $5000 a month. Thats an approximate cost of ---- per year. Am I understanding that right?

There must be a lot of rich ppl with LD!

(edited to remove exact amounts by sunnydays)

[ 06-09-2010, 06:23 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, I just saw this Dr's PA and she spent 4 hours with me and at the end he came in for about 10 minutes which I wasn't expecting. The visit was ---- and I will have a phone consult in a couple weeks for ----.

I don't think we signed anything like the above mentioned. I loved his PA and Dr J was very nice.

Sapphire

[ 06-10-2010, 03:53 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was Mandy rich in UOS? [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seek, I don't know, but maybe she came from a rich family!

Sapphire, are you doing IV's? Sounds like just the IV ppl are having to sign.

Who knows this may be a nasty rumor. It does sound a little over the top!

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Sapphire, Just saw how much your phone consult is........geeesh!
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, this is very discouraging! The complaints are piling in about the pulse therapy too and patients are leaving by the busload.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on the West Coast. Have been to Seattle LLMDs and was going to try Dr. S in San Fran but he was way more epensive and you have to pay 100% up front just to book it.

Not to mention the Seattle LLMD and LLND I saw and phoned are every 8 weeks. The LLND being "in person only" every 8 weeks and she gets mad if you don't buy all her herbs and natural products.

Dr. J was cheaper and I can phone appt for only ---- after 3 months.

Not sure if the treatment is working yet...too soon to tell. I was impressed with his clinic and himself though.

[ 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sapphire101
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sapphire101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sutherngrl,that is the plan since I've already been on them. The problem is my liver enzymes were sky high but are coming down some. I'm having seizures just like Mandy in UOS. I had 6 yesterday and heading in that direction today.

They won't give me rocephin till my liver calms way down. They have me on seizure meds but so far they are not working. We've been in contact with Kim (PA) for the last couple of days. We don't know what to do. I can't stand this much longer.

My body is freezing up still just like Mandy. I need abx. That stopped it when I was in the hospital. At least, Dr. j's office will get back to you the same day.

A 30 min phone consult is ---- with the PA, I do know that much.

I was impressed with the whole visit.

Sapphire

[ 06-10-2010, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: sunnydays ]

Posts: 495 | From KY USA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

This was actually my second choice on a LLMD.

My step daughter lives in DC, so it would be doable to have a place to stay. But I don't think I could afford his fees. $350 for a phone consult!!!! I don't even pay half that much for a regular office visit. Thats just insane!

Glad I'm not in a situation to have to use him. I love my LLMD and he is making me better with low doses; and he also works at keeping cost down in every way that he can.

lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do believe that CMA fee is for those doing IV's as mentioned. The girl I know that went there was on IV's so this may be true.

I did cut and paste that excerpt from his contract. I have a copy of it and it is authentic.

Gary

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

I deleted the CMA and some other details because it is considered too much detail. The mods try not to allow excessive details about how a Lyme-treating physician operates to be posted publicly.

Things that specific would be more appropriately shared via private message.

Thanks for understanding!

-sunnydays, Lymenet mod

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

49 posts and a moderator? You have friends in high places? [Smile]
gatorade girl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gatorade girl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pm me if you have any questions.

--------------------
gatorade girl

"I still have Mt.Everest to climb, but I have traveled across the world and arrived at the mountain".

Posts: 633 | From baltimore | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunnydays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edited again to take out remaining costs listed. Getting complaints about so much detail being listed.

If you would like the costs for this doctor, call his office or PM some of the people above.

Thanks,

sunnydays

Posts: 89 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunnydays
Member # 25310

Moving to Seeking a Doctor, upon request of other members.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement