LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is this rash???? Pics

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is this rash???? Pics
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all!

I am posting this for a friend who was recently bit by what she thinks was a tick. She isn't sure.

I have photos of the rash as it's progressed and it is very weird looking. Drs don't know if it was a tick OR a spider.

What do you think?

I should note that my friend had RMSF 30 years ago. She now lives in NC.

Thanks.

Bite pics

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BackinStOlaf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 23725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BackinStOlaf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but holy crap!!!

--------------------
First Symptom 9/09
Multiple docs, negative Labcorp test
LLMD: 1/10
Positive Igenex/CDC test
Treatment 2/10
2/10-8/10 Amox, ceftin, zith, flagyl
Currently: Bicillin, Minocycline, still dealing with severe breathing issues

-

Posts: 1121 | From New York, New York | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2young2dieMom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2young2dieMom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get her to an ER quick!

--------------------
Dxd ALS 3/2010
Dxd cllinical Lyme 4/2010
Positive for Protomyxzoa but absolutely nothing else in Igenex

Posts: 417 | From central ct | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
onbam
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd got to the ER ASAP--that's an unholy looking rash. That said...

If it was a tick and she now has that, it means that without a doubt she has Lyme, and everything depends on her getting proper treatment (doxy at 400 mg/day for 3 months past all symptoms resolve, possibly with an intracellular and a cyst buster).

These might be worth checking into as well, especially if your friend can't get antibiotics.
http://www.townsendletter.com/July2010/sapi0710.html

While the jury's still out on Samento (a Swiss researcher named Martin Sievers said it made Lyme worse--I've posted on this), Sapi's one of the best we've got.

Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She has had the rash for a few weeks now and was on 2 different antibiotics, she just couldn't tell me which ones. She took one for 9 days and the other for 10 days.

She has seen 3 different drs and they all had the same reaction "OMG! What the heck is that?"

She isn't really having any acute symptoms but does have joint pain but had that before the bite.

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No biopsy??? What is wrong with these doctors these days? Looks like ringworm, but tularemia also comes to mind.

She needs a real doctor...If she has Lyme also it can alter the usual rashes to look somewhat different than normal.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

No! No biopsy that I know of.

I didn't know that ringworm could look like that!

She knows that something definitely bit her because she felt it and in her words "swatted it off" her arm. Now, if it was a tick, it would have been attached right?

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

No! No biopsy that I know of.

I didn't know that ringworm could look like that!

She knows that something definitely bit her because she felt it and in her words "swatted it off" her arm. Now, if it was a tick, it would have been attached right?

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is really nasty. Has she tried antifungal creams or hydrocortisone/benadryl type cream?

She needs to see a dermatologist.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have they considered brown recluse or other spider bite? Holy crap....
Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

No creams that I know of but she saw the dermatologist and she had NO CLUE!

Seems no one does [Smile]

TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TnFlowerChild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fella had the classic bullseye rash and went to the dermatologist with it and she didn't have a clue either... she said "ringworm"???

They did a biopsy and the rash went systemic - all over his body! Please advise care in a biopsy...

Isn't there a show on "Venom" on Discovery or Animal Planet about a doctor in Arizona(??) that specializes in bites...

I'm going to go find a link.... maybe you can email them pictures...

Posts: 238 | From Jackson, TN | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Just sent you a PM...
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tn I'd like to see that too...Thanks.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bn -

i saw an episode of "monsters inside me" and this looks like Leishmaniasis which is from a sand fly bite. here's a short clip from the show. there is an advertisement that plays first but when the clip starts, that first pic looks a lot like the pics you posted.

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/monsters-inside-me-the-leishmaniasis-parasite.html

did she do any traveling? even if she didn't, it doesn't mean that it's not spreading like ticks and lyme. i read an article that says that it's becoming more common in US because of our troops coming back to US from areas that have sand flies.

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That does NOT look anything like ringworm. It makes me think more of a parasite or sandfly type of thing!
Reprehensible that no biopsy has been done after seeing three different doctors!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
icky, that's why i posted the link. the full episode was from a sandfly bite in TX!

if we're right, maybe something good came out of my lyme diagnosis - all that TV! [Wink]

Posts: 95 | From IL | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey catdog, that looks just like her rash...Good job!

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

bncrump... were you able to contact anyone?

Pinelady... I sent bn the name of the doc at Loma Linda Univ med center that was the doc on VenomER which was on Animal Planet. They had an email address...

That "monsters" sandfly video almost looks like her pictures...

catdog- yea for us sickies that watch a lot of tv!!!!

My fella's rash was the classic Lyme bullseye and the dermatologist thought it was ringworm...hahahahah... sooo sad for all of us out here!

catdog
Member # 26365

i never thought i would actually remember and share the info i learned from watching TV. guess i have to stop getting on the kids cases for watching too much! LOL

bn, i'm not sure what type of doctor your friend would need to see. she hasn't had luck with a dermatologist in the past but maybe a different one?

whatever dr. she sees, she should definitely do some research and bring it with to her appointment. more than likely she will be told that it's not in the US or that it's very rare in the US. sound familiar? these little buggers go wherever they can and wanna go!

i hope that you and your friend finally get some answers. good luck to both of you and let us know what it ends up being! [group hug]

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I shared this link with her so she can check out all the info. I have a feeling that she will be heading to another dr very soon. What type, I don't know.

I think the link for the Dr from VenonER would be her best right now. Maybe he can point her in the right direction!

Thanks again. We will keep you posted!

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Update: I talked to my friend and she DID have a biopsy done. I just didn't know it.

They said that whatever it was, wasn't viral. Whatever that means!

Thanks again!

nenet
Member # 13174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nenet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, I am 99% sure (I am not a doctor) that that IS Leishmaniasis - like someone else posted already.

If that's what she has, it is very serious - she needs diagnosis and treatment ASAP - this is a protozoan parasite, and if not treated can be disfiguring, or progress and become fatal.

Do a google images search - many of the photos look exactly like hers, in my opinion:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1012&bih=598&q=leishmaniasis&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leishmaniasis

"There are four main forms of leishmaniasis:

* Visceral leishmaniasis - the most serious form and potentially fatal if untreated.

* Cutaneous leishmaniasis - the most common form which causes a sore at the bite site, which heal in a few months to a year, leaving an unpleasant looking scar. This form can progress to any of the other three forms.

* Diffuse cutaneous leishmaniasis - this form produces widespread skin lesions which resemble leprosy and is particularly difficult to treat.

* Mucocutaneous leishmaniasis - commences with skin ulcers which spread causing tissue damage to (particularly) nose and mouth."

"The symptoms of leishmaniasis are skin sores which erupt weeks to months after the person affected is bitten by sand flies.

Other consequences, which can manifest anywhere from a few months to years after infection, include fever, damage to the spleen and liver, and anaemia.

In clinical medicine, leishmaniasis is considered one of the classic causes of a markedly enlarged (and therefore palpable) spleen; the organ, which is not normally felt during examination of the abdomen, may become larger even than the liver in severe cases."

--------------------
Dr. C's Western Blot Explanation

Lymenet Success Stories

ILADS Treatment Guidelines

Medical & Scientific Literature on Lyme

"Long-Term Antibiotic Therapy Improves Persistent Symptoms Associated with Lyme Disease"

Posts: 1176 | From KY | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe what we're looking at here is a brown recluse spider bite. It's rotting her skin from the inside out. That's what recluse venom does. Gross. She needs to see a dermatologist!

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

if it is in fact leishmaniasis, nenet's right, it needs to be dealt with ASAP!

i read the links that nenet posted and it did not mention anything about a biopsy. leishmaniasis is diagnosed differently, so the biopsy she had wouldn't be helpful in diagnosing this.

make sure she insists on being tested for it though. we all know how passive and dismissive doctors can be so she should bring some ammunition with her.

i would suggest that she print this wikipedia page (it also has a pic on it which would be helpful) and bring it to the dr's appt/ER or wherever she decides to go.

i'm not a doctor either, i just watch a lot of TV! [dizzy]

catdog
Member # 26365

arkiehinny, brown recluse bite crossed my mind too. when i looked up pictures though, i didn't see the similarity.

**warning everyone!! these pics are really graphic!!!**

http://www.ascendedhealth.com/brown-recluse/bite-picture.htm

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

UPDATE: I spoke to my friend this evening and she is going to go to the ER tomorrow at Duke.

Thank you so much for the information. She really appreciates it!

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Not spider I have seen lots of them...Leishman. might be right. If it is suspect she needs treatment whether confirmed or not....

--------------------
IgM neg pos

kimmie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimmie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it was a brown recluse spider bite? Needs ABX
Posts: 747 | From Utah | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nenet, catdog,

Congratulations. That does lood like leishmaniasis and is a very good find.

bncrump

It's Sunday. Did she go to the ER and what happened?

All

We have found that bug borne illness spreads quickly and this looks very bad. The American public and the doctors don't even know this disease is in America.

Who's afraid of sand flies??? Absolutely no one. Protect yourselves, please.

[ 07-31-2010, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: grandmother ]

Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for EM rash with fungal superinfection
and would request treatment for fungus eg lotrimin as noted by BRB above and also,
doxy as noted above and also testing for Lyme and all co's since the person may have already been immunosuppressed when they got the tick bite, that is they may have had Lyme/Bb before
this bite occurred. I am fairly certain that has happened to many of us posting on this site.

--------------------
Ideas not advice.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Misfit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Misfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have nothing to offer but second the "holy crap!" sentiments. That is frightening! I sure hope your friend finds the right dx and tx. Add sand flies to the list of buggy-boos that im now scared of!
Posts: 624 | From Oklahoma | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Leishmaniasis - I'd bet on it, as a couple others mentioned. I bet that Catdog and Nenet win the detective prize for this one. And IckyTicky may have hit the nail on the head with the sand fly as the suspect.

I appreciated all the links and excerpts. Learned a lot.

Hydrocortisone cream (a steroid) will make any infection worse. Be sure your friend avoids that. Systemic steroids can also make matters much worse - unless life threatening and all the bases are covered regarding antimicrobial treatment.

Please keep us posted. I am just absolutely horrified that your friend has received totally inadequate medical care with this. It's criminal that some doctor did not put her in a comfortable room for monitoring while they called all over the world if they had to in order to figure this out.

If our hospitals would use IV garlic, that would cover a lot of bases - they would still be able to test tissue taken before tx from the rash (but this is far beyond being a rash, really).

And, with the web, they should be able to put the photos into a program and it come back with possibilities.

A National Geographic photographer who had contracted Leishmaniasis in S. America was featured in one of their programs. He was very, very ill - IV treatment saved his life but it took a while.
-

[ 07-31-2010, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
He was infected from a SAND FLY bite (although there may well be other vectors):
------------------

http://www.joelsartore.com/adventure/faq.php

JOEL SARTORE, photography - Frequently Asked Questions

Excerpt:

What's the sickest you've been?

Most times, wolves and anacondas aren't the biggest sources of concern while on assignment. In many parts of the world, photographers face malaria, yellow fever, typhoid and myriad other diseases.

While on assignment in Madidi*, I was bitten on the leg by a female phlebotomous sand fly who was carrying leishmaniasis, a microscopic flesh-eating parasite.

A month or so later when I was back at home, I noticed a hole on my leg that wasn't healing. After consulting with several doctors, we found out that it was leishmaniasis.

The only way to treat it at the time was chemotherapy -- an IV of an antimony solution. Like all chemo, it wears you down and can make you pretty sick. It also throws several of your internal organs out of whack. It was six months before I felt normal again, and I was lucky the doctors figured it out when they did.

. . . .

* [Madidi is a national park in the upper Amazon river basin in Bolivia.]

-- He links to:

http://www.who.int/leishmaniasis/en/

World Heatlh Organization - Leishmaniasis.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank god for this website. This is the kind of information we can find on here when we don't know where else to look.

Bncrump - Please give us an update.

Wow - I'm already afraid to walk across lawns now I can add walking along the beach to my list of cautions.

I didn't see on any of the sites if there is a geographical area that is more prone to have this type of disease.

Does anyone know?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
WHO says it's in "88 countries around the world"

Here's WHO's map: http://www.who.int/leishmaniasis/leishmaniasis_maps/en/index.html

You can see a a mark for just south of Texas, across the border in Mexico. Well, my guess is that the sandflies don't see borders.

I think doctors rely too much on maps and expectations.

But I think that it can be anywhere, really, that is hot and humid for a certain period of time. They don't just like sand, but trees, too. Tracking maps are no longer all that accurate, thanks to global warming, travel, shipping, etc.

Still, don't be afraid, though. We have far too much fear in the world as it is. Nature is still to be enjoyed. Just be informed or know where to find information when you need it.

It might be good to know who the best TROPICAL DISEASES doctors are in your area, just in case. Some of those doctors are brilliant. That's who I would see if I had a rash that looked like this.
-

catdog
Member # 26365

Keebler, i can't take all the credit, have to give some to Animal Planet for putting on some good education shows!

Haley, http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/leishmaniasis.html
says:

Leishmaniasis is found in some parts of the following areas:

� Mexico, Central America, and South America--from northern Argentina to southern Texas (not in Uruguay, Chile, or Canada)

� Southern Europe (Leishmaniasis is not common in travelers to southern Europe)

� Asia (not Southeast Asia)

� Middle East

� Africa (particularly East and North Africa, with some cases elsewhere)

BUT, i don't put too much stock into geographical areas because of what we've already experienced with ticks.

that doesn't mean we should be afraid to go outdoors, we just need to make bug repellent a routine! like some people don't leave the house without make-up [Big Grin]

grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grandmother     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 921 | From CT | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Leishmaniasis episode was on yesterday afternoon. I have to say that it does look a lot like the rash above.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow -- Holly S**** -

Any of that would Harsh My Buzz --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Sorry all...just wanted to say NO UPDATE yet. I will let you know as soon as I hear something!

Thanks for all the info!!!!

catdog
Member # 26365

did she see a dr or is she waiting for results? thanks for keeping us updated!
grandmother
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19908

What's happening?

This could be an extremely serious situation and needs to be reported to CDC, regardless of what one thinks of the CDC.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No Update? Did she not go to the E.R. at Duke days ago? I hope she's not just waiting around on this. I'm with grandmother, this could be very serious, indeed.
-

catdog
Member # 26365

I agree! I'm very interested to see if it is indeed making more than an occasional appearance in the US.

and more importantly that your friend is ok!

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bump*
Wondering if there is any new info.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TnFlowerChild
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 24717

Any new info yet? [confused]
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two things...

1. I'm going to the beach soon (All about me, right? I know I'm a sad case.) and I'm not too excited now with all this SANDFLY info.

2. A lady my husband works with, got a giant ugly spider bite 4+ weeks ago and has been seriously ill ever since. She felt the bite, actually felt it bite her 3 times. Last week she was tested for lyme and came back CDC extremely positive.

Is there a file somewhere where we keep records of various bites, and the details about them, that have given lyme? Such a file could be helpful.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
17hens
Member # 23747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 17hens     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another example of how I think such a file would help...

My neighbor was just diagnosed with lyme&co last month. He's been sick for 5ish years but able to deal with it (like my family). But he got a bite this summer that sent him to his knees.

This bite was "not ordinary." He swears it was not a tick. He thinks most likely a mosquito. The "bite" was a small bump that blew up over night into a bump the size of a baseball on his upper arm and was centered in a large black ring (3-4 inches wide) that went around his upper arm.

I just think all these stories would help the "next guy" figure out what might be wrong with him when his duck is telling him he couldn't possibly have lyme because he was not bitten by a tick the size of a typed period.

I don't mean to take up this thread. Sorry. Maybe I should start a new thread and see what kind of stories we get.

--------------------
"My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever." Psalms 73:26

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

Posts: 3043 | From PA | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
No new thread needed. You'll find past threads at the "SEARCH" link above. The Archives will usually find what you want. Most would just have the word "rash" or "photo" in the heading.

The LDA has an extensive file of bite photos for ticke-borne infections of all kinds.

A cross search at Google will also bring up other rash photos.

From the Lyme Disease Association's file:
------------------------

http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=category&id=10&Itemid=387

Medical Photos - rashes, ticks, or under the scope

=======================

Also see listings in:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/29917

Treepatrol's Links for Newbies
-

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

I wish I had an update...but as of right now, I don't.

She was supposed to head to the ER today but I don't know that she did.

I will be sure to update just as soon as I know something...promise!

17hens...I wish I could make you feel better about your trip to the beach. I would go and have a good time. You only live once AND you are far more educated than most people when it comes to what to look for in regards to bites, illnesses and chronic conditions. It will be okay. [Smile]

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Thanks. I wondered. Too bad she has not found an expert yet. Also, too bad the other doctors she saw were so incompetent.

Is there a doctor around her who specializes in Tropical Medicine? She really needs someone who is specifically educated in the area of Leishmaniasis, etc.

I seriously doubt the E.R. will even want to assess a bite that is unusual for that geographic area.
-

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

She has sent her bite photos to the VenonER dr, Dr Oz, the Doctors show and a few other people. Not that they are experts by any means (lol) but she hasn't heard from any of them.

I will update soon. Hopefully with good news.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I'd be at the front door of the dean to the closest medical college. I'd invite myself in to their living room and say I'd not leave until I got an answer.

I'd inquire of some wise lab person how to preserve some of the rash for a petri dish, get some samples set aside - and then start on a good quality of Colloidal Silver, topically and internally.
-

catdog
Member # 26365

she could be waiting around forever for a TV show to get back to her. i agree with keebler here, i'd be knocking down doors!!

17hens, now that sounds like a brown recluse spider bite. i posted this above when this discussion started, it sounds a lot like what you're describing.

**warning everyone!! these pics are really graphic!!!**

http://www.ascendedhealth.com/brown-recluse/bite-picture.htm

17hens
Member # 23747

Keebler, thank you for those very interesting links. The sites talk "tick" but not other insects (mosquito) and they show pics but don't describe the feeling, etc.

The one doctor I saw who believed that I had lyme asked me some questions like did I feel anything at bite site and did the site itch?

When I answered no and no, he said, "correct answer" as you don't feel tick bites and they won't itch. In other words he believed that I probably had lyme because I fit the pattern.

Well, lucky for me those were my answers or he wouldn't have believed me like the other 8 ducks I saw.

I'm saying if we could collect information, like
pictures of rash, what insect did we pull off or see (dog tick, spider, mosquito), did we feel the bite, did it itch or hurt or was numb, that sort of thing, then the next guy who gives his duck the "wrong answer" can look at our info and say, "well that person had a bite the looked or felt like mine and they have lyme so I shouldn't give up.

This has probably been done somewhere already, even on the sites you sent me, Keeb, and I missed it because I'm too tired (past bed time).

Please excuse these rantings of a person who needs a vacation (at the beach and I'm NOT gonna worry! thanks bncrump!)

--------------------

bit 4/09, diagnosed 1/10

'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She's gonna need to be on IV or IM "chemo" therapy for a few weeks:

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1108860-treatment

Let's hope she gets her 1st shot no later than Monday, but preferably last week!

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Consuelachacha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26538

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consuelachacha   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It simply astounds me that our DOCTORS cannot find out what this horrible rash ring is.

We with Lyme have to deal with Ducks everyday and usually do not have a VISIBLE rash like this.

Your friend has something to VISIBLY show them and they still cannot figure it out. Unbelievable!!!

Many, many, good posts for her above. Good luck to her.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired!!

Posts: 153 | From St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jesus, did this rash subside? This looks like a nasty spider bite, possibly recluse or some other venemous B#$trd....hope everything's ok....
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

still thinking about your friend...did she ever get any answers?
psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What did Duke say?
Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catdog
Member # 26365

it's been almost a month since the last post here and i'm still wondering about your friend. did she finally get some answers? please let us know!
Tricky Tickey
Member # 26546

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tricky Tickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd too like to know what came of this. It's dangerous looking. Maybe if we keep bumping the post we can find out. EEk.

--------------------
Early Disseminated LD- 2010.
Currently doing acupuncture and yoga.
Negative Igenex (IND & Pos Bands)
ISSUES AFTER: Tendonitis, letter reversal, Low immune system.
PREVENTION:SaltC,Iodine,Humaworm,
Chiropractic.

Posts: 1013 | From In a van down by the river. | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blackstone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9453

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blackstone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah! I missed this post first time around and hope your friend got her answer... if she still hasn't, she needs to find a new doctor, stat! Preferably a dermatologist who has an interest in tropical diseases if you can find one, a tropical parasitologist who by some miracle works as a clinician, or even an tropical ID type.

Leishmaniasis is a good hypothesis - and if she has been out of the country or in contact with those who have (especially American soldiers coming back from the Middle East), it becomes an even better one. In the US, reports show it to be migrating up through Texas as well, likely come up from Mexico - similar desert climate probably allowing the sand flies to propagate.

It could be other things, but you really need someone in the know for "unusual" tropical diseases to appraise this. Leishmaniasis can be diagnosed by biopsy if someone is smart enough to do so. There are a variety of treatments, some of which are apparently inexpensive "orphan drugs", but technically experimental. In any case, start looking for physicians that handle tropical diseases and/or venoms immediately!

Posts: 690 | From East coast, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

HI!

I have not heard anything from my friend but as far as I know, she did NOT go to Duke and did NOT get an answer.

Thanks for reminding me of this...I will go call her now to see what I can find out.

Will update later.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement