LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mangosteen Shmangosteen!! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mangosteen Shmangosteen!!
JillF
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would it not make sense that Mangosteen is good for ppl in general, much less those with a compromised immune system?

There is so much information and research showing how good antioxidants are for you: boosts immune system, fights off infectious diseases, fights off viruses, helps delay the signs of aging, etc. Our cells use antioxidants to work against the effects of harmful environmental factors and free radicals that evade our bodies defenses and can cause internal breakdown and cellular aging. They counter oxidation and neutralize free radicals. There is even a study now that shows that antioxidants can reduce the toxic effects of lead

And I'm sure everyone has heard about the many benefits that come from the antioxidants in red wine: warding off Alzheimer's, proven way to reduce coronary heart disease, improves cardiovascular health, lowers production of low density lipoprotein cholesterol and boosting high density lipoprotein cholesterol, reduces blood clotting and now one study has found that the antioxidant resveratol (found in the skin of red grapes) may inhibit tumor development in some cancers. Another study indicated that resveratrol aided in the formation of nerve cells, which is beneficial in the treatment of neurological diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's.

It would make sense that Mangosteen, at least, has a small health benefit as would any fruit rich in antioxidants.

And a number of laboratory and animal studies suggest that mangosteen has significant anti-inflammatory effects. Just, there are no human studies as of yet to determine if these anti-inflammatory effects will be helpful to ppl with arthritis or other inflammatory conditions

Btw, as noted in the article NMN posted, dried Mangosteen apparently is used in Calcutta and China for medicinal uses. The sliced and dried rind is powdered and used to overcome dysentery. It is made into an ointment for eczema and other skin disorders. The rind decoction is taken to relive diarrhea and cystitis, gonorrhea and is applied externally as an astringent lotion. A portion of the rind is steeped in water overnight and the infusion given as a remedy for chronic diarrhea for adults and children. Filipinos employ a decoction of the leaves and bark as a febrifuge and to treat thrush, diarrhea, dysentery and urinary disorders. In Malaya, and infusion of the leaves, combined with unripe banana and benzoin is applied to the wound of circumcision. A root decoction is taken to regulate menstration. A bark extract is used for treating amoebic dysentery.

I think the fact that it's being used for so many different things (and they can go back to Stone Age times in Italy and Switzerland and even Ancient Egypt and prove that Mangosteen was being use for medicinal purposes) outside of the US, that there might be something to this fruit

So, it could be that they find that Mangosteen is extremely beneficial for multiple reasons

But, as of now, it's obviously great for the antioxidants. And perhaps those taking it now are ahead of the game before research proves how beneficial Mangosteen really is

[ 20. November 2008, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: JillF ]

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JillF
Member # 5553

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JillF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found this. I'll have to research this more when I get time

VERY interesting imo

So what does scientific study say about the mangosteen fruit rind and stem, and who has been doing all this research? Here it is:

* A university in China found that mangosteen hull is loaded with free radical scavengers (meaning that the mangosteen properties seek out and actually counteract the free radicals)

* Universities in Thailand, China, and India have found that the mangosteen is loaded with xanthones, and that these xanthones have strong antioxidant action (antioxidant means against free radicals)

* A Taiwan medical college found mangosteen to be effective against leukemia

* University in Japan found mangosteen to be an effective antibacterial agent, specifically against certain drug resistant strains of bacteria, and also a very strong COX-1 and COX-2 inhibitor, which means it inhibits inflammation

* More than one university in Thailand found mangosteen to be effective against breast cancer cells

* A university in Singapore has found the antioxidant activity of the mangosteen to be extremely strong, possibly stronger than any other fruit. This activity includes anti-inflammatory actions, effectiveness against a multitude of degenerative diseases, including: heart disease, arthritis, immune system malfunctions, and also cataracts and brain dysfunction

* A university in Korea studied the actions of the mangosteen and found it to be effective with circulatory problems, including hardening of the arteries, and also a general anti-inflammatory

* A university in Nebraska, USA found that mangosteen was loaded with carotenoids, which are strong antioxidants and considered Vitamin A precursors

* A university in China that found possible benefits against Alzheimer's disease brain degeneration

* A university in India found new xanthones which have strong action in the fight against diarrhea, dysentery, cystitis, eczema, digestive problems, inflammation, and diabetes

* A university in Japan found the mangosteen to have a strong antihistamine action, therefore making it great for allergy problems, rhinitis, and asthma, to name but a few of the possibilities

* A university in China showed the anti HIV action of the mangosteen

And the list goes on......

Posts: 1485 | From USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post 
It is not bog in a bottle and it has some of the same properties as resveratrol.

I was paying over $190. a month for the amount of resveratrol my LLMD wanted me to take each month. I would rather buy a bottle online of the mangosteen juice with no preservatives included and mix up my antioxidants a bit. I still take resveratrol but less then I was. My CO Q 10 that I buy from Allergy Research has a painful price tag as well.

Should people be selling Xango to others here? NO! They can do that through email and off the board. Should they be sending newbies PM's about Xangos vitamins? NO again. It is against the forum's rules. Should they be approaching anyone here to sell anything NO again.

I think energy medicine including infrared light is going to be the wave of the future. I am ready for more holistic treatment for illnesses.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinJS
Unregistered

Well put Angelica.
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto what Angelica said [Wink]

--------------------
aka: Lyme Warrior

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History!

"Just Demand your Rights"

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
NMN,

You're soo multi-talented! Not only are you a "whistleblower" but a mindreader too! FYI, I couldn't care less about getting the moderators attention - in fact I think this site can be a little strict at times...on that note, maybe you're not such a great mindreader after all... so don't quit your day job!!

You can be skeptical of Mangosteen all you want, but personally targeting another member is wrong. You've also done so in a very confrontational manner and you know it.

For all the ones who have been here for a while your desire to cause an upset and start fights is very transparent - it's also not going to work.

And please don't make a "kissy" face at me again - the only thing of mine you can kiss is my a$$.

[Cool] Lauren

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FuzzySlippers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FuzzySlippers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin123,

Thanks so much about the info on the Ultra Mangosteen. I actually bought a bottle of this stuff months ago after reading your experiences. Around that same time I also had two of my non-LLMD physicians recommended it to me for what they thought were "fibromyalgia" symptoms. In addition, I'd read some interesting research that was coming in from Life Extension Foundation on the use of Mangosteen juice.

I decided to go with the Ultra Mangosteen brand because I refuse to take Xango. I just can't tolerate the sodium benzoate in the Xango. The Ultra Mangosteen brand is, as you say, free of preservatives like that.

I must confess, though, that I have yet to try the juice. I've felt as though I've had my hands full and have not wanted to add something new yet for fear of increased herxing.

My chiropractor swears by mangosteen juice. And I was quite surprised to have one of my conventional, allopathic physicians recommend it as well. Neither of them had preferences to any specific brand name to use -- I did ask.

Oh well, anything that can help alleviate symptoms and make life better is a good thing!

Thanks again.

Fuzzy

Posts: 503 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Angelica:
Should people be selling Xango to others here? NO! They can do that through email and off the board. Should they be sending newbies PM's about Xangos vitamins? NO again. It is against the forum's rules. Should they be approaching anyone here to sell anything NO again.

I agree !

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuzzy - I doubt if I herxed when I started the Ultra mangosteen juice. Within the hour, eye symptoms began clearing up. 24 hours later, no more eye symptoms.

Within the hour, my sinuses began to run and did so for the next 48 hours. They ran a marathon.

24 hours later, my intestines started to empty and did so for the next 72 hours. We're not modest here, are we, sometimes? Ever since, real regular, like a baby.

96 hours later, I noticed no more gum bleeding. I do still brush and floss. Don't want to cheat on that even tho I swear the juice handles this too.

Just go slow and drink a lot of water.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Icon 1 posted      Profile for liesandmorelies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robin that is amazing!

Sorry if someone already mentioned this brand, but does anyone know if the Trace Minerals brand of Ultra Mangosteen that Vitacost sells is any good. It is very affordable right now. On sale for $17.13 per bottle for 32 ounces. They recommend 1-3 oz's per day.

Thanks for any information!
Elizabeth

--------------------

In order to do "real" science, you have to have a "real" conversation with nature.

Posts: 869 | From nor - cal | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angelica
Unregistered

That is the brand Robin posted she often buys.
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Angelica,

Thank you for the information I appreciate it. I am going to order some. I have read all the ingredients and it looks wonderful. It can only be healthy for us based on the ingredients list and who knows what else.

I don't think that $1.80(and that's if you drink the full three ounces)a day is too much to spend on a drink... Look at how many ppl eat out or go to Starbucks for coffee and think nothing of spending $3.00 on high test Java.

Elizabeth

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

Exactly. The fact it helps with sinuses has me very excited. I actually am going to order some for a sick friend to try as well. They don't have Lyme or at least not diagnosed Lyme yet but they have some sort of Mycroplasma that keeps haunting them.

Trace Minerals has been known for years in the industry for making quality products and especially minerals.

Maybe this thread is informative after all. Many of us are learning more about the juice and perhaps anyone who has been sending PMs here announcing they sell MLM juice and vitamins to others well start to understand that we know what they are up to and it is really unacceptable.

Maybe they will stop attempting to sell here.

desertcanyon
Member # 17998

Icon 3 posted      Profile for desertcanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...

The original post:
quote:
Originally posted by NMN:
Good article on the truth about Xango mangosteen juice. 37$ honestly.....You need your head examined if your buying this stuff.

Followed by three entire pages (almost 90 posts so far) of discussion, research, anecdotes and argument -- and therefore interest in -- mangosteen. Now everybody's curious about trying it.

Reverse psychology?

And, any good conspiracy theorist knows that there has to be a secret hidden code somewhere...

Wha??? Each letter in "NMN" is exactly 1 letter in the alphabet shifted from "MLM".

I've got it! NMN is actually selling mangosteen for an MLM under the pseudonym Lymetoo! Very sneaky.

No?

Okay, maybe not. [Smile]

But it would have been a brilliant (and effective) strategy, I must say.

In all seriousness, while NMN can be um, shall we say, less than diplomatic, he or she does make some valid points about reasonable costs, proper research, potential for companies to take advantage of sick people, conflicts of interest, etc.

But on the other hand, it is natural, I think, for a lyme sufferer, having found a product that they really believe in, to sign up to sell it to others. It's a potentially win-win situation.

So many lyme sufferers struggle to work, and need something they can do from home (and only when they are physically up to it.) So I see this as a legitimate way to make money, as long as it's done appropriately and up front.

The MLM companies? I don't know. I've always been leery, but I've never been inside one to say anything definitively one way or the other. I think anyone is susceptible to compromise -- whether through greed or desperation.

But really, the ridiculous costs are the medical ones, especially if you don't have insurance, or insurance won't cover. Office visits, labs, procedures, medicines, etc.

I *finally* was able to get prescriptions for antibiotics again, but can only afford 1 of the 2 antibiotics for now.

We're talking $264.00 for the GENERIC brand of azithromycin at WAL-MART for 30 tablets (WITH the discount). Sheesh. No kidding. Now I do take issue with that.

--------------------
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love

Posts: 61 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by desertcanyon:
[QB] I've got it! NMN is actually selling mangosteen for an MLM under the pseudonym Lymetoo! Very sneaky.

I THINK you were kidding, but I AM offended! I'm also not happy with what Angelica said. Thanks a lot, FRIENDS.

Lyme patients account for about 3% of my sales.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
desertcanyon
Member # 17998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for desertcanyon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lymetoo,

I thought for sure you would see that I was poking fun at NMN, because his/her negative post about mangosteen generated so much *positive* interest in it. It was all meant to be in good fun.

I certainly did not mean to offend you in any way, and I'm very sorry that my post made you feel that way.

--------------------
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood, as to understand; to be loved, as to love

Posts: 61 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lauren....I swear.... you have just made me nearly choke laughing on my organic porridge oats!! LOL

If I had a day job I would not be sitting here shooting the breeze with you fine people now would I?

Lymetoo - 25$ is still BS in my opinion. For that price I would want to hear that they are loosing two or three sherpas in their mission to gather the PRECIOUS MANGOSTEENS! [lol]

I picture a scene from frickin JUMANJI where they are being picked off by one by one by ferocius creatures and giant insects in distance uncharted Jungles. [Wink]

Now THAT might justify the price. DANGER MONEY.

In case you have not been reading, I have not been bashing the product you love, I have been making a very valid argument that they (and you) have not got right to charge the price they do. And what ever you might think of me, that is just a fact.

There is a lot to be said for the placebo effect too you know.

Knock yourselves out is a figure of speech that you may not be familiar with by the sounds of things. It does not literally mean you should knock yourself out by hitting yourself on the head or anything.

It was me throwing my hands up and saying "Whatever....drink Mangosteen until its coming out your ears for all I care"

Look I think I have made my point and to be honest I am getting a little bored now.

Randibear - makes a good point.

Lauren - PM me and we can set up that dinner date you have been hinting at. x theres one for the other cheek [Wink]

Lieandmorelies - Yes I totally agree with you. Pharmaceutical companies in the US are total extortionists and I feel very sorry for you all that you have to put up with that.

I seem to recall a thread not so long ago that i made my feelings well known on what I think of your health care system. So I won't bother going into it any further now.

You say that the proof is in the pudding. Well thats not always true. I remember a product similar to Rife that took off in the UK and they made a killing from patients believing it worked.

There were Hundreds of testimonials written when all along it was a scam and legal precedings went ahead against them.

I have a friend who was personally involved in these clinics so you will just have to trust me on that one.

Like I said, The placebo effect is real too.

Desertcanyon - Nice theory, by the way this thread has turned out it certainly looks like I am helping their sales rather than hindering them. Looks like I misread the American mind a touch. You guys are always mezmorized by the next new thing.

JillF - Why would it not make sense that Mangosteen is good for ppl in general, much less those with a compromised immune system?

Again no one is debating it is good for you.

Chris - Welcome to the Shmangosteen revolution. LOL

I think lyme has robbed some of you of a sense of humour too by the way. [Smile]

Good talk.

PS Lymetoo, Desertcanyon was having a laugh. I got it but it seems you didn't. Take a chill pill, I can sell you one for 50 bucks made from nutritious Irish rock moss from the hills of Donegal [Wink]

--------------------
Pos BB and Bart(Q & H IGG pos)
Began treat 1 year after start of illness. Diagnosed Feb 2007.

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It may be important to see what percentage of mangosteen is really in some of the products. I looked at the Trace Minerals brand of Ultra Mangosteen & it doesn't say. It just says that it has:

Proprietary Antioxidant Blend 5500 Milligrams (per 1 fluid oz., I guess)

Mangosteen Whole Fruit Extract
Mangosteen Extract
Goji Berry Extract
Pomegranate concentrate
Blueberry Concentrate
Grape Seed Extract
Grape Skin Extract
Cranberry Concentrate
Lychee Concentrate
Red Grape Concentrate
Mixed Fruit Concentrate

I found that 1 ounce = 28349.5231 milligrams (on Wiki.answers)

So, it doesn't have alot of actual "juice" in it...

It doesn't say the proportions.... if this is a concern. Might be .005 mg of mangosteen...? It does have other beneficial ingredients so I don't think it's bad. You just may not be getting alot of mangosteen.

Also, the hull is supposed to have alot of the nutritional value. It doesn't taste good but it has some important nutrients. It would be good to find a product that includes the hull. Maybe that's what they mean by - Mangosteen Whole Fruit Extract?

We also don't know if "extract" is better than the whole fruit or if it's pasturerized (which may kill enzymes). So, there are alot of questions about these types of products.

I think there is some good to them - it's just alot to think about.

PS - No one here has ever solicited me to buy mangosteen juice.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I resent being pegged as trying to advertise mangosteen. Screw you. Really.
This disease is horrible and it's socially responsible that when you find something that really helps to inform others of it.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elizaeth - yes, I order from Vitacost - the price of the juice just went up apparently, to $17.13. Still the cheapest way to order, I think. The 32-oz bottle lasts me 10 days.

Sparkle - I've asked in the past about the amount of mangosteen in the juice and they wouldn't say. All I can say is that the juice works for me as a good antioxidant, anti-inflam juice.

Now I am getting curious to hear how the juice is going to affect any of you here who are going to try it...

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Now for something a little more serious. I just made a post in Activism about an email I received tonight about an apparent FDA attack on nutrients and supplements, which will affect the use of our beloved mangosteen products as well as anything else we order.

Please go see!

Thx! - me

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by surg:

This disease is horrible and it's socially responsible that when you find something that really helps to inform others of it. [/QB]

Absolutely.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Hi NMN,

One thing to consider is that Mangosteens are not as available as lets say apples and oranges are in the states. In fact in this area it's a much more exotic fruit.

I am currently paying $4 for a half a gallon of orange juice(oranges are very plentiful here). So I really don't think that $17 for 32 ounces is that out of whack when you consider where they are shipping it in from.

And, with the orange juice, I would need to drink lets say 8 to 12 ounces a day and it does not even come close to having near the nutritional value that Mangosteen has at 1 to 3 ounces.

Can you offer any figures that would show what you would deem to be a resonable price for Ultra Mangosteen Juice when you take into consideration the rarity of the fruit in the states and the manufacturing costs of the juice and the other ingredients that are going into it???

Of course I realize they are making a profit, as nothing in life is free. But, is it really out of whack?

I mean pomegranite juice is very, very expensive where I live. I have seen it in mainstream Grocery's for about $7-10 a bottle and I even have Pomegranite's growing over my backyard fence.

What I meant by "the proof is in the pudding", is that if ppl are having a reduction in their symptoms and are feeling better, than so be it.

You know a lot of our health is "how we feel". If something makes you feel good, than for me that is a large part of what my health is about.

I am a firm believer that when your body is hurting it is telling you that something is very wrong. So, if these ppl say they are herxing on this juice or feeling better while taking it after the herx has gone away, than personally that means more to me than the reports that the FDA and Big Pharm may spit out at us.

You of all ppl I would think would understand that logic since you agree with me regarding the abuse that Big Pharm has inflicted onto us.

I am not saying this about you, but I have encountered many ppl who are very afraid of looking outside of Western Medicine and have claimed that everything that is not in the realm of Western Med is just a placebo effect if one notices beneficial changes.

You know some of the healthiest ppl on the earth are the ppl who live in very remote places in the East. Many ppl believe it's becuase of the low stress and vitamins and minerals they get from their food sources.

I am not at all saying that scams do not exist, as I do believe they do. I just don't want to become so cynical to spite myself if you know what I mean.

PS Please don't read too much into this, but I was insulted that you would write the following:

quote from NMN

"You guys are always mezmorized by the next new thing."

How would you know what the heck we Americans are mezmorized by???? Talk about an insulting, rude and huge blanket statement. [tsk]

Why would you make a blanket statement about all of us???? Maybe you need to take that inflamatory statement and go to your hill in Donegal and reflect, or are you too "mezmorized" by yourself to do that?

I also find it very telling when ppl accuse ppl of losing their sense of humor right after they bash someone. Very obvious. [Wink]

--------------------

randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
couldn't agree more.

i went to a place called "central market" today.

they had bananas for about 1.50 per POUND. walmart has bananas for around 50 cents a pound or less.

point is, you can shop around and get deals. i was very very fortunate to have a dear friend send me two bottles....

thank the heavens for her.....she sells it too and has never ever pushed it on me.

if people are interested they will buy, try, and make their own opinion, if not, they won't....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by NMN:
Looks like I misread the American mind a touch. You guys are always mezmorized by the next new thing.

It may be time for the moderators to pull the plug on this one. I'm willing to tolerate Anti-Americanism in the rare instance but there's no restraint here and it does not serve the board well.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I think mangosteen fruit is available in a FEW places in the US for around $10 per piece of fruit. I don't think it was $10 a lb.... per piece.

and uh .. sherpas DON'T harvest it

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah, sherpa....educate me....

isn't that the guys who walk around with uh, those big beasts in the mountains of the himalyians (sorry for spelling)...

my brain just fried......LOL

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

OH Randibear!!!!

Now you got me laughing!!!! [spinning smile]

I just can't stop picturing big hairy, fury Sherpas lugging Mangosteens in their saddle bags through the likes of South East Asia.

It's all about the humor!!!! Thanks for making me laugh, I needed that.

Elizabeth

--------------------

MartinJS
Unregistered

There's/ nothing funny about bashing other races. Sherpas are an ethnic group from the most mountainous regions of Nepal and are highly regarded as elite mountaineers and experts in their local terrain.

I find the tone of the last two posts extremely offensive. How would you like to be called "Big Hairy Furry American?"

Fist of all Sherpas are neither big nor are they hairy and I do think it time that a moderator put a stop to insulting other races. Enough is enough.

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin,

I think Elizabeth is confusing the Sherpa people with an animal used for carrying goods. I don't believe she meant to insult anyone.

BTW, my dad was a "big hairy American" and I am just praying my daughter doesn't take after him. (Laser hair removal is expensive!)

We Americans do need to learn not to take ourselves so seriously.

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Martin,

Perhaps you did not read the whole thread, but these comments stemmed from other comments.

I would never make a racist comment.

I apologize if you are taking it that way.

I was simply picturing Yaks carrying mangosteens in their saddle bags while being hearded by Sherpa's. (It was a silly visual that came to mind) of course the Yak's were the ones that were hairy not the Sherpa's

[bonk] Perhaps I am dumb as a doorpost, but I seriously must have had an ignorant moment and really thought Sherpa's were hearders of Yaks.

So when Randibear made that stmt. that was the visual that came to mind.

I am very sorry if it was offensive. Please try to understand where I was coming from. [bow]

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Notsosublyme,

Thank you, that's is exactly what I was thinking. That's exactly what I thought they were.

I feel horrible and stupid at the same time. You must have posted your post when I was writing mine.

I am just happy that someone else understood where I was coming and realized what I meant by that visual.

thanks,
Elizabeth

--------------------

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Martin,

I am a very sensitive person and just wanted you to know that it would kill me if I hurt you or anyone else. I was taught that Sherpa's were ppl who carried heavy loads and hearded. See the following definition. I hope this helps to explain.... Thank you for educating me.

Elizabeth

copied from www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/everest/history/sherpasworld.html

"For a foreigner, a Sherpa means someone who carries loads at high altitudes. But Sherpas are actually all Tibetans. They are called 'People from the East. ...

--------------------

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or we have to start taking ourselves more seriously. This was not a preemptive American post, Martin. Save the animosity.

[ 21. November 2008, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Lymeorsomething ]

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry but this thread has turned absolutely hilarious to me!! I mean I'm sitting at the computer LMAO!

I'm engaged to a "big hairy furry American"...call me weird but I find him to be quite sexy [lol]

So I wouldn't be offended at all by that sort of comment! But that's just me...

Lauren

--------------------

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

If getting crapped on is funny, then I suppose you're right [Smile]

--------------------

MartinJS
Unregistered

Elizabeth, thank you for your posts, PM sent.

Unfortunately "Lymeorsomething" needs an attitude-adjustment badly. In Elizabeth's earlier post she said: " I just can't stop picturing big, hairy fury Sherpas lugging Mangosteens in their saddle bags through the likes of Southeast Asia."

Sherpas are no where near Southeast Asia--the Himalayas are north of the Indian subcontinent. Perhaps Lymeorsomething needs a geography lesson along with their AA.

Lymeorsomething, there's nothing funny about flippant remarks about other races/cultures (even inadvertently) over the internet where everyone can see. At least those were the forum rules the last time I looked.

randibear
Member # 11290

hey it was most definitely not intended to be offensive.

the term "guys" is an american slang....and i honestly can't remember the name of the animals i've seen in the travel shows.

wow, i am soooo very sorry.

if you think i was rude and offensive, geezzz,,,,

ya'll lighten up...honestly...

ok, i'm done, kaput, over, ....

wow....

of all the people on this board, i'm sure you would realize that to call me down for being offensive is beyond me, simply, beyond me....

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by MartinJS:
There's/ nothing funny about bashing other races. Sherpas are an ethnic group from the most mountainous regions of Nepal and are highly regarded as elite mountaineers and experts in their local terrain.

I wasn't bashing them at all! I think they're great!

NMN said something about sherpas harvesting the fruit. Kinda hard when the fruit is grown in Thailand, etc.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Martin you have selective reading skills. I was referring to the Anti-Americanism of MNM's post. I did not say ONE word about Sherpas.

None of this was started by an American poster.

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

i didn't bring my dog to this fight..

er, i better quit, before lou bans me......

besides, hubbie says when i get angry my accent gets so bad NOBODY can understand me...ya'll.....

--------------------

lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Haha Randi! You ought to hear my Southern accent!! I'd probably give you some competition!

[Big Grin] Lauren

--------------------

lymeloco
Unregistered

You can buy a Mango and get the same results. I myself can't afford the juice, so eat the fruit and get the same result. If you eat what your suppose too, then there is no need for all the supplements you take.
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NMN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The moderators should shut down this post as its getting a bit ridiculous all be it hilarious. LOL

Lymetoo I am well aware of were the fruit is grown I have spent 3 years travelling (mostly in asia and the pacific) and have actually met some sherpas.

I used them in my little imaginary story as they are well known to be the best trekkers in the world.

In hindsight I am not sure they would fancy the heat now that I think about it. LOL

As one person mentioned you really should not take yourselves so seriously. Anti-americanism...pleeeasssee!! Your clutching at straws now. Something tells me you have lived very sheltered life.

I have several family members who are American citizens and I don't think they would see anything that I said as being insulting.

In fact I think they would find it pretty hilarious how up tight you are getting over an over priced juice.

You can look through my posting history and see I commented several times congratulating the US on their appointment of Obama. Don't try deferring away from the topic by trying to paint me as a bigot.

liesandmorelies - Said "One thing to consider is that Mangosteens are not as available as lets say apples and oranges are in the states. In fact in this area it's a much more exotic fruit.

I am currently paying $4 for a half a gallon of orange juice(oranges are very plentiful here). So I really don't think that $17 for 32 ounces is that out of whack when you consider where they are shipping it in from".

I live in Dublin Ireland, I pay about 2 $ for a pineapple that is flown all the way from queensland Australia, Our Kiwis and some apples come from New Zealand etc.

There is no logic in what your saying in this modern era, logisitics has nothing to do with it.

On Xango's website today they are charging 37.50$ per bottle, that is BS admit it.

You are lucky to be able to grow pomegranates in your back garden. Makes it sound even more silly that you would buy mangosteen instead.

Donegal is 5 hours away from Dublin, Geography is probably not your strong point I would guess. Beautiful county, highly recommend a a visit.

I think some of you should take your little linch mob and put it to better use. Like putting pressure on your state politicians about lyme so people can get proper Abx tx, instead of marketing an overpriced bottle of juice.

Like I said. You are boring me now. I would delete this thread but I think there is some great points in it (mostly from me*lol*) and I would like it to be available to others in the search engine.

[Smile]

[ 22. November 2008, 01:26 AM: Message edited by: NMN ]

--------------------

Posts: 648 | From Ireland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

NMN, I see you rolled out of bed again. Your points are valid. However, there's no reason to make asinine generalizations about an entire country.

I'm basically a dual Irish citizen so don't make me come back to the old sod and smack you around Dalymount Park [Wink]

--------------------

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm married to an irishman and he thinks NMN has been playing too long in the four leaf clovers. [Razz]

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

NMN,

Thank you for insulting me by telling me that I am not logical and that I am silly...

The question isn't what the price of pineapple is in Ireland, it's what the price of a Pineapple would be in Ireland if it were grown in Ireland?????

I made a comparison between oranges which are grown locally and speculated as to the addtional cost of a fruit grown half way around the world, and that would be assuming that demand for each were the same. We both know that the demand for oranges and pineapple for that matter is far greater than Mangosteens, now don't we??????
So, you left out a very important part of the equation, the part about "DEMAND".

Also, in regards to "SUPPLY". Mangosteens are much rarer and can only be grown in very particular situations. There is only a few degrees lattitude from the equator that they can grow and only in particular regions.

PS: I do drink the lovely pomegranite juice too!!!! So who feels silly and illogical now? [Wink]

PSS: FYI Mangosteen and Mango are a different fruit. I love Mango and it is somewhat available here in California(still somewhat expensive though)

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

My DEMAND for fresh mangosteens is huge. If only I had some. They are my all time favorite fruit and I have not had a fresh one as I mentioned before since 2005.

I wonder how well they ship?

I think NMN has a mangosteen juice factory in Asia and this is his strange way of advertising the benefits.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

Angelica,

LOL [spinning smile] [spinning smile] [spinning smile] LOL

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

Then again he may not even be in Asia. He could still be hanging around the bogs of Ireland using his neighbors Wi-Fi connection to harass innocent Lymies. You never know.

Maybe he is the Wizard of Peat Bog and we need Toto to expose him either that or we might have to call Interpol pretty soon if my DEMAND for fresh mangosteens gets any worse.

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SoSublyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we need to go back to the discussion of hairy, furry Americans. My father was so hirsute that when we were on Fire Island as kids, my friend said my dad looked like he was wearing a mohair sweater with his bathing suit!

Ahhh, sweet memories...

Posts: 345 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

I'm thinking maybe 1/2 pint Mangosteen and a 1/2 pint Guinness...nothing quite like frothy, iron-fortified Guinnosteen. Hell, even NMN would spend $36 for that...

--------------------

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

You can never go wrong with Guiness!!!
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

I'm a "Heiny" lover myself. Heineken that is. Wanted to clarify myself, lest my words get misconstrued [lol]

I'd like to get back to the hairy, furry American thing too [Big Grin]

Lauren

--------------------

randibear
Member # 11290

you'll are going to get into trouble.

now behave yourselves....

personally, i'm a beck person...

--------------------

jamescase20
Unregistered

I will test mangosteen on blood, and if I get a favorable response I will take it internally and get back you alls.
NMN
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11007

Good morning my little Shmangosteen addicts [Smile]

Angelica your comments gave me a chuckle. It reminded me of someone who has watched "Darby O'Gill and the little people" one too many times and now thinks it is real. Heres a link to bring you back to reality.

http://www.discoverireland.ie/

As for "harassing innocent Lymies". This is a debate about mangosteen juice (Xango to be precise), so let me remind you that I am suffering as much as the next person with this disease so don't go forgetting that. It does not mean I have to agree with all of you about everything.

And a word of advice. I never refer to myself as a Lymie, In my opinion it empowers the disease and will only have a negative effect on your recovery. I am not a disease and neither are you. [tsk]

lymeorsomething - I would never mess with the black stuff. Its just fine as it is. [lol]

Now I think we can all at least agree on one thing. That Xango charging 37.50 for a bottle of juice that has very little science behind it, is blatant profiteering plain an simple. I want to hear you say it. Just so I know there is at least a shred of sanity left in this forum. [shake]

That question was directed at the ones who do not work for Xango of course.

[dizzy]

--------------------

Angelica
Unregistered

My keets are starting to form a swarm due to your overuse of message icons.

Are we all suppose to think the way you do in order to make your world happy because that would be like trying to herd cats and it is not going to happen anytime soon on this forum.

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey NMN looks like your not gonna be buying the Mangosteen or the Bionic 880 Course then!!!!!!

Mind you like you I probably agree that sticking my head up a Donkies A** would have a better effect than the above mentioned [dizzy]

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1: Fitoterapia. 2008 Nov 5. [Epub ahead of print]

Antibacterial Activity of Thai Medicinal Plants against Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.Chomnawang MT, Surassmo S, Wongsariya K, Bunyapraphatsara N.

Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.

Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) is a major nosocomial pathogen which causes severe morbidity and mortality worldwide.

Seventeen Thai medicinal plants were investigated for their activity against MRSA. Garcinia mangostana was identified as the most potent plant, and its activity was traced to the prenylated xanthone, alpha-mangostin (MIC and MBC values of 1.95 and 3.91 microg/ml, respectively).

PMID: 19022354 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, I don't have access to full articles.

: Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 Oct;46(10):3227-39. Epub 2008 Aug 6. Links

Medicinal properties of mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana).Pedraza-Chaverri J, C�rdenas-Rodr�guez N, Orozco-Ibarra M, P�rez-Rojas JM.

Facultad de Qu�mica, Departamento de Biolog�a, Universidad Nacional Aut�noma de M�xico, Ciudad Universitaria, 04510 Mexico, DF, Mexico. [email protected]

Many tropical plants have interesting biological activities with potential therapeutic applications.

Garcinia mangostana Linn. (GML) belongs to the family of Guttiferae and is named "the queen of fruits".

It is cultivated in the tropical rainforest of some Southeast Asian nations like Indonesia, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Philippines, and Thailand.

People in these countries have used the pericarp (peel, rind, hull or ripe) of GML as a traditional medicine for the treatment of abdominal pain, diarrhea, dysentery, infected wound, suppuration, and chronic ulcer.

Experimental studies have demonstrated that extracts of GML have antioxidant, antitumoral, antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiviral activities. The pericarp of GML is a source of xanthones and other bioactive substances.

Prenylated xanthones isolated from GML have been extensively studied; some members of these compounds possess antioxidant, antitumoral, antiallergic, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.

Xanthones have been isolated from pericarp, whole fruit, heartwood, and leaves. The most studied xanthones are alpha-, beta-, and gamma-mangostins, garcinone E, 8-deoxygartanin, and gartanin.

The aim of this review is to summarize findings of beneficial properties of GML's extracts and xanthones isolated from this plant so far.

PMID: 18725264 [PubMed - in process]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

1: J Nat Prod. 2008 Jul;71(7):1161-6. Epub 2008 Jun 18.

Xanthones from the botanical dietary supplement mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) with aromatase inhibitory activity.Balunas MJ, Su B,

Brueggemeier RW, Kinghorn AD.
Department of Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacognosy, Program for Collaborative Research in the Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA.

Twelve xanthone constituents of the botanical dietary supplement mangosteen (the pericarp of Garcinia mangostana) were screened using a noncellular, enzyme-based microsomal aromatase inhibition assay.

Of these compounds, garcinone D (3), garcinone E (5), alpha-mangostin (8), and gamma-mangostin (9) exhibited dose-dependent inhibitory activity.

In a follow-up cell-based assay using SK-BR-3 breast cancer cells that express high levels of aromatase, the most potent of these four xanthones was gamma-mangostin (9).

Because xanthones may be consumed in substantial amounts from commercially available mangosteen products, the consequences of frequent intake of mangosteen botanical dietary supplements require further investigation to determine their possible role in breast cancer chemoprevention.

PMID: 18558747 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

1: J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2008 May-Jun;10(5-6):475-9.

Garcinia mangostana: a source of potential anti-cancer lead compounds against CEM-SS cell line.Ee GC, Daud S, Izzaddin SA, Rahmani M.

Chemistry Department, Universiti Putra Malaysia, Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia. [email protected]

Our current interest in searching for natural anti-cancer lead compounds from plants has led us to the discovery that the stem and roots of Garcinia mangostana can be a source of such compounds.

The stem furnished 2,8-dihydroxy-6-methoxy-5-(3-methylbut-2-enyl)-xanthone (1), which is a new xanthone.

Meanwhile, the root bark of the plant furnished six xanthones, namely alpha-mangostin (2), beta-mangostin (3), gamma-mangostin (4), garcinone D (5), mangostanol (6), and gartanin (7).

The hexane and chloroform extracts of the root bark of G. mangostana as well as the hexane extract of the stem bark were found to be active against the CEM-SS cell line. gamma-Mangostin (4) showed good activity with a very low IC(50) value of 4.7 microg/ml, while alpha-mangostin (2), mangostanol (6), and garcinone D (5) showed significant activities with IC(50) values of 5.5, 9.6, and 3.2 microg/ml, respectively.

This is the first report on the cytotoxicity of the extracts of the stem and root bark of G. mangostana and of alpha-mangostin, mangostanol, and garcinone D against the CEM-SS cell line.

PMID: 18464091 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

Wish I had a copy of the full article on this one. I'd like to know if they can really trace this to the use of mangosteen.

I've seen other articles written about supplements where they claim something caused a problem but when looking at the full history of the patient, it sometimes looks like it could be a number of things that caused the problem.

Not certain as to the accuracy of this but wanted to post it just so those using the juice would be aware.

Am J Kidney Dis. 2008 May;51(5):829-33. Epub 2008 Mar 25.

Severe lactic acidosis associated with juice of the mangosteen fruit Garcinia mangostana.Wong LP, Klemmer PJ.

Minor and James Medical, Seattle, WA; Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA 98104, USA. [email protected]

The tropical mangosteen fruit has long been prized in Southeast Asia for its traditional healing properties. Mangosteen fruit juice is now available in the United States and marketed for its purported health benefits.

We describe a case of severe lactic acidosis associated with the use of mangosteen juice as a dietary supplement.

PMID: 18436094 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

1: J Toxicol Sci. 2007 Dec;32(5):571-4. Links
Inhibitory effects of xanthone on paraquat- and NaNO(2)-induced genotoxicity in cultured cells.Tanaka R.

The inhibitory effects of xanthone on genotoxicity induced by paraquat and NaNO(2) in cultured Chinese hamster lung (CHL) cells were examined.

Xanthone forms the central core of xanthones. Xanthones are present in mangosteen, which is widely used as health food because of its many pharmacological properties.

Paraquat (PQ, a superoxide anion generator) and NaNO(2) induce genotoxic effects, including sister chromatid exchange (SCE) and decreased cell cycle rate, in CHL cells.

Xanthone inhibited the genotoxic effects of PQ and NaNO(2) at concentrations of more than 5 microM. The present results suggested the potent antigenotoxic effects of xanthones in mangosteens.

PMID: 18198487 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

Inflammation is a huge problem for me and for most lyme patients.

1: Food Chem Toxicol. 2008 Feb;46(2):688-93. Epub 2007 Sep 26. Links

Anti-inflammatory activity of mangostins from Garcinia mangostana.Chen LG, Yang LL, Wang CC.

Graduate Institute of Biomedical and Biopharmaceutical Sciences, College of Life Sciences, National Chiayi University, 300 University Road, Chiayi 600, Taiwan, ROC.

The fruit hull of Garcinia mangostana Linn (Guttiferae) is used as an anti-inflammatory drug in Southeast Asia.

Two xanthones, alpha- and gamma-mangostins, were isolated from the fruit hull of G. mangostana, and both significantly inhibited nitric oxide (NO) and PGE(2) production from lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-stimulated RAW 264.7 cells.

The IC(50) values for the inhibition of NO production by alpha- and gamma-mangostins were 12.4 and 10.1 microM, respectively. After iNOS enzyme activity was stimulated by LPS for 12 h, treatment with either alpha- or gamma-mangostin at 5 microg/ml (12.2 and 12.6 microM, respectively) for 24 h did not significantly inhibit NO production.

The data show that the inhibitory activities of alpha- and gamma-mangostins are not due to direct inhibition of iNOS enzyme activity. On the other hand, expression of iNOS was inhibited by alpha- and gamma-mangostins in LPS-stimulated RAW 264.7 cells, but not by COX-2.

However, the level of PGE(2) production was reduced by the two xanthones. In an in vivo study, alpha-mangostin significantly inhibited mice carrageenan-induced paw edema.

In conclusion, alpha- and gamma-mangostins from G. mangostana are bioactive substances with anti-inflammatory effects.

PMID: 18029076 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

In my opinion, pro-inflammatory cytokines appear to be a significant issue in lyme patients.

1: Fitoterapia. 2007 Sep;78(6):401-8. Epub 2007 Jun 2.

Effect of Garcinia mangostana on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnes.

Chomnawang MT, Surassmo S, Nukoolkarn VS, Gritsanapan W.

Department of Microbiology, Faculty of Pharmacy, Mahidol University, Rachathevi, Bangkok, Thailand. [email protected]

The present study was aimed to investigate the activity of Thai medicinal plants on inflammation caused by Propionibacterium acnes in terms of free radical scavenging and cytokine reducing properties.

P. acnes have been recognized as pus-forming bacteria triggering an inflammation in acne.

Antioxidant activity was determined by DPPH scavenging and NBT reduction assay. The result showed that Garcinia mangostana possessed the most significant antioxidant activity and reduced reactive oxygen species production.

Houttuynia cordata, Eupatorium odoratum, and Senna alata had a moderate antioxidant effect. In addition,

Garcinia mangostana extracts could reduce the TNF-alpha production as determined by ELISA. Garcinia mangostana was highly effective in scavenging free radicals and was able to suppress the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines.

This study has identified the promising source of anti-inflammatory agent which could be useful in treatment of acne vulgaris.

PMID: 17644272 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

This may mean that mangosteen is helpful for babesia!

: Planta Med. 2006 Aug;72(10):912-6. Epub 2006 Aug 10.Links

Prenylated xanthones as potential antiplasmodial substances.

Mahabusarakam W, Kuaha K, Wilairat P, Taylor WC.
Department of Chemistry, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand. [email protected]

Mangostin, the major xanthone of Garcinia mangostana, and a series of synthetic derivatives were investigated for their in vitro antiplasmodial activity against Plasmodium falciparum.

Mangostin itself showed moderate activity, but prenylated xanthones containing alkylamino functional groups exhibited quite potent antiplasmodial activity.

Some structure-activity relationships are proposed.

PMID: 16902859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

TerryK
Member # 8552

I'm not sure but I think xango has the whole fruit. Also don't know how much of certain plant parts one needs to have this type of beneficial effect.

1: Chem Pharm Bull (Tokyo). 2003 Jul;51(7):857-9.

Antimycobacterial activity of prenylated xanthones from the fruits of Garcinia mangostana.Suksamrarn S, Suwannapoch N, Phakhodee W, Thanuhiranlert J, Ratananukul P, Chimnoi N, Suksamrarn A.

Department of Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Srinakharinwirot University, Bangkok, Thailand. [email protected]

Prenylated xanthones, isolated from the fruit hulls and the edible arils and seeds of Garcinia mangostana, were tested for their antituberculosis potential.

Alpha- and beta-mangostins and garcinone B exhibited strong inhibitory effect against Mycobacterium tuberculosis with the minimum inhibitory concentration (MIC) value of 6.25 microg/ml. Tri- and tetra-oxygenated xanthones with di-C5 units or with a C5 and a modified C5 groups are essential for high activities.

Substitution in the A and C rings has been shown to modify the bioactivity of the compounds.

PMID: 12843596 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

jamescase20
Unregistered

This is getting sick.

I am checking the scope with mangosteen powder right now...and NO, placing anything on blood DOES NOT KILL IT. Thats like saying placing anything in your morning cup of coffee (and I hope its one cup only-or water instead!) Perhaps cyanide, or maybe rat poison (waferen-not really poison BTW) or honey...and that it dont matter...ANYTHING will sweeten your coffee.

Running of the mouth again I see.

Smear quick check Result: Its only a quick check, so it may not hold much water, but it may debunk the notion that mangosteen is useless.

Smear quick check result: mangosteen placed on known infected blood which had lyme hatchlings in it in anther blood drop 15 mins ago, NO moving invaders, and there appeared to be possible die off due to increased amounts of blood trash in the viewer. I then added a small amount of max oxcide (my trick to pull out hiders still alive from red cells) NO moving invaders found.

Bunk that.

liesandmorelies
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15323

NMN,

qoute by NMN:

"I want to hear you say it. Just so I know there is at least a shred of sanity left in this forum."

WEll, NMN I am sorry for your sake that you believe the only sanity in humanity lies in the hands of those that agree with you. Again talk about "Mesmorized".

It's so cute in a toddler sort of way that you need us so badly to say that the Mangosteen is overpriced.

I just wish I could pinch your little cheek and tell you that it will be okay. [kiss]

Please, no hard feelings as I think this thread has been beneficial on many levels and heck there has even been some of the best humor thrown in to boot.

Elizabeth

--------------------

SoSublyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15185

Okay, I will say it...but I cannot vouch for my sanity! Thirty-seven dollars is a bit overpriced...they have Mangosteen juice in my local store probably for a lot less. (I'll have to check the exact price and report back.)

I, too, hate to see people taken advantage of by folks out to make money off of the ill. But I really don't know anything about Xango except that someone I know did get caught up in the MLM aspect and lost money she could not afford to.

But, if people can afford it, and believe it works for them...it's none of my business. It's small potatoes compared to some of these other expensive, unproven treatments.

I've been trying to make my own fruit smoothies with blueberries, etc., lately because I am not a big fruit eater. I might just add some mangosteen for a fun experiment. (Not Xango, though.)

BTW, I was in Dublin a few years ago and did the marathon there with 18 girlfriends. (I can't even walk around the block now, though). We rented a bus for ourselves and went all around the country...absolutely beautiful. We still all say it was simply the best time we ever had.

TerryK
Member # 8552

I'm not absolutely positive but I think that most mangosteen products do not have the full fruit like xango does.

Based on the studies that I posted, seems like the full fruit may have benefits that the juice alone does not.

There are many more studies in pubmed than what I posted so I'm not sure why the original poster stated that there is little evidence to support mangosteen.

I'm not saying it is going to solve all your problems but it does have definite benefit for lyme patients as evidenced in some of the research I posted. I do know that my brother got some remarkable benefit from it.

I have never sold one bottle of mangosteen but I have purchased it at $25 per bottle + the cost of membership.

To each his own but when evaluating a product, I like to keep the info factual which includes looking at the research that IS out there.

Terry

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
This may mean that mangosteen is helpful for babesia!

: Planta Med. 2006 Aug;72(10):912-6. Epub 2006 Aug 10.Links

Prenylated xanthones as potential antiplasmodial substances.

Mahabusarakam W, Kuaha K, Wilairat P, Taylor WC.
Department of Chemistry, Prince of Songkla University, Hat Yai, Songkhla, Thailand. [email protected]

Mangostin, the major xanthone of Garcinia mangostana, and a series of synthetic derivatives were investigated for their in vitro antiplasmodial activity against Plasmodium falciparum.

Mangostin itself showed moderate activity, but prenylated xanthones containing alkylamino functional groups exhibited quite potent antiplasmodial activity.

Some structure-activity relationships are proposed.

PMID: 16902859 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Thanks Terry. You are a great researcher and I always read these abstracts with interest.

Sounds like the mangosteen had "moderate" activity, but their synthetic derivatives were even more "potent" against protozoans. I agree, it could be worth looking into for babesia treatment!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy moly people this is nuts!! It's JUICE!! I doubt it cures anything, but it's juice, so it can't be any worse then all the other supplements we take. It doesn't cost anymore then some of the supplements I buy.

So if it helps take it, if not, then move on!!

Kathy

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement