LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 10 Broken Vertebrae! *Update 6/8* (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 10 Broken Vertebrae! *Update 6/8*
docluddite
Member # 36032

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docluddite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also need to have the 1,25 dihydroxy vitamin D level tested... Some lyme patients have abnormalities with this metabolite, and too much or too little can result in calcium wasting.
Posts: 60 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, pray that this was a misunderstanding, and that he is intending to do TWO vertabrae. I pray that all goes well tomorrow, and that you heal well and get relief from pain.

Then, we all come over and step in with your insurance company and doctors to do the other vertebrae!!

As you go in tomorrow, think of Jesus being there with you, and us, too! Quite a team.

xoxoxo

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it was a typo or misunderstanding. I am getting 2 vertebrae (T11 and T12) repaired today. Thank God!

Now that I can relax I realize I'm super tired. I don't think I slept well at all last night.

Hopefully anesthesia will be easy for me. Usually they look at me and try to dose me like a kid (I'm not...) but I metabolize meds quickly and need far larger doses equivalent to what they would give to say a 500lb man. At least this is what my last anesthesiologist told me in January.

Thank you again for your prayers. Knowing you all care and are here for me makes me feel better [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, God!!!

Surely the anesthesiologist will talk to you before surgery, so you can relay to him your past experiences with anesthesia.

Will be praying for you alot today and in the coming days, sammy.

Our God is in control!!

Jesus, I Trust In You!!! [bow]

--------------------
The fibromyalgia I've had for 32 years was an undiagnosed Lyme symptom.

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PRAYING!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy, I am so glad it was a misunderstanding.

Best wishes today, check back in when you can.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thinking and praying for you today. God is good. Will be waiting to hear from you as soon as you can...will continue the prayers.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy somehow I missed these updates.
You are always in my prayers. Will be moreso today. All will go well - I just know it will.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure hope someone in her family can update us soon.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am with you tutu...waiting to hear something.
Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi friends,

I'm home [Smile] Feeling tired and very sore.

The procedure went well. My nurses, doctor, and anesthesiologist were great.

They gave me a large amount of versed, fentanyl, and propofol. I still woke up during the procedure! Yikes right!!!

The anesthesiologist was holding my hands and she was like "oh my gosh, are you really awake?" I laughed, said "yes" and started talking to her.

At least I didn't feel any pain so she just kept telling me not to move and held my hands. It was weird that I was awake for so long.

She said she gave me a ton of medicine so she was shocked when I woke up before the procedure was over, before recovery!

At least by the time I woke up the doctor had already started introducing the cement into the second vertebrae so the horribly painful part was over. Glad I didn't wake up a little earlier!

I'm scheduled to have the next 2 vertebrae (T9 and T10) repaired on May 24th. That is the earliest insurance rules will allow so they went ahead and put me on the doctor's schedule so I won't have to wait until after they get it authorized. Sadly it is a month away. Stupid insurance rules.

Thanks again for your prayers. God was clearly watching out for me today [Smile]

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy, I can't believe you woke up during the procedure! How scary. I am also glad you did not wake up during the more painful part.

What did they say your recovery would be like?

It is good that you will have two more done next month. This will give you time to heal and recuperate. If you feel you need to have it done sooner, I suggest contacting the CEO of your insurance company.

Thank you for letting us know how everything went. Get plenty of rest okay?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Good news and so thankful that you will be able to get two more fixed soon.

Now you are cemented together!

pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pug7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have some of the same fractures as you, and have never considered this procedure. Studies have shown little long term benefit (as someone else posted) and there is a risk of the cement leaking and causing some serious problems.

It is a quick fix, but there are other ways to go. Calcitonin can address pain from the fracture as well as help with bone loss. Forteo will address your low parathyroid hormone level, which is probably your real problem. Diet and supplements. Exercise (Tai Chi is wonderful for this).

I still have kids who depend on me and did not want the risks of this procedure. So I continue to work on the pain and the bone issues.

Many women (and men) are in this position. A really good endocrinologist who specializes in bone density can be really helpful.

Posts: 108 | From US | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

OH MY WORD!!! I can't believe you woke up!!!

Hope you are OK!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dekrator48     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy,

It is so good to hear from you already.

I am thanking God that you are ok and you did not feel pain when you woke up during the procedure.

Praying for your full recovery from this surgery and that the next one will also be successful.

Keep us updated as much as you can dear friend.

Hugs!!!!

--------------------

"For I know the plans I have for you", declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". -Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 6076 | From Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh <<<<< sammy >>>>>,

Glad the surgery went well,that is amazing and a bit scary that you woke up during the surgery procedure.

Prayers continuing, and hopes for a quick full recovery!

from Silverwolfi and TxCoord too!

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bless your heart - you have been through the wringer - AWAKE!

praying - keep us posted....

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Pug, I hear you. I'm glad you haven't had to consider the kyphoplasty procedure. There are risks but for me, there were even greater risks associated with doing nothing.

Maybe I should try to explain my situation a little better.

My rheumatologist is (in my opinion, slowly) working me up to see why I have the osteoporosis. He is not willing to start the Forteo or any other treatment until I have a diagnosis.

I wish that someone would go ahead and prescribe the Forteo for me. My PCP, LLMD, and this doctor today all keep telling me that I need to start treatment ASAP, yesterday!!! They warn and I know that I am at high risk for more fractures. Problem is, I can't prescribe for myself.

You said that the kyphoplasty looks like a "quick fix", maybe so. Basically it is going to keep some of my vertebrae from crumbling while my doctors figure out what's going on.

It will take months before the forteo and other necessary treatments start to help strengthen my bones. I already take D3 +K2, Calcium, Magnesium. I'm going to start taking strontium.

Over the course of just a couple weeks, between the initial x-ray images, MRI, and bone scan you can see an obvious progression of compression. The bones are getting crushed more. I even had another fracture on the bone scan 2wks ago.

The bone degeneration is progressing. I went from being about 5ft 5in (measured in January) to about 5ft 3in (measured in march). The horrible pain and fractures started in february.

So really, would you just sit there and let 7 bones in your back continue to get crushed when you could do something to stop it? Let me answer that, no you can't sit. It hurts too much!!!

You put a cast on your leg when it is broken to stabilize the bones. It provides pain relief and makes sure that the leg heals properly. It gives you something to stand on. Would you like standing on a broken leg without a cast?

Well, the kyphoplasty is like an internal cast for my fractured vertebrae. They've only fixed 2 of the 7. So 5 are still crushed and fractured and unstable.

It hurts for me to breathe, it hurts to laugh, it hurts to cough, any movement causes excruciating pain. I can't even stand long enough to brush my teeth. I can't sit up for more than a few minutes.

Pug, I'm sorry I know you are only trying to help me. I'm just so frustrated by the whole situation. And in so much pain. I will probably delete this tomorrow when I'm thinking more clearly.

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sammy, thank God that you got 2 vertebrae fixed today, and that it went ok---in spite of waking up during it. Yikes!

When you're able to, I would suggest fighting the insurance ruling that you wait a month to do the next 2, and then more of the same. Make a complaint to your state Attorney General's office Health Bureau. As I said, do it on an emergency basis, as it is an emergency! But that will have to wait until you can even do such a thing.

About that fairy godmother . . !!! We'll all keep praying for your continued recovery.

xoxox (gentle hugs, however!)

BTW, did you get enough pain meds, I hope? By now you certainly should be able to get them.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<< sammy >>>>>,

Thinking of you, and continuing in prayer.

Hope the recovery is continuing well,and the pain is lessening more and more.

Jus' Silverwolfi here

--------------------
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

sammy,

I wish I could take away all of your pain.

You have been through so much. Only you know what is best for you and what you need to do.

I am continuing to pray for you dear friend.

Hugs!!

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

sammy... there is no need to remove what you posted. I pray you are coping today.

[group hug] [group hug] [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Yes, we're all thinking of you and praying that you are healing well. Keep resting. I'm sure you need lots of sleep after all the stress and pain that you have been through.

xoxo

sparkle7
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We all have to do the best we can with what is available. I hope the operation helps. You are in a rough position either way. Maybe having some time in between procedures will let you see if it actually will help...? Just a thought. I'm not sure what else you could do. I don't know enough about why this is happening to you.

I'm sorry you had to suffer through this. Prayers for the strength to get you though it all.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

*Update 4/23*

I have good news friends! My back is starting to feel a little better [Smile]

After the kyphoplasty procedure I had much more pain. It was hard to tell what was from all the fractures and what was from the surgical procedure. It was all just a jumbled mess of pain.

So now that the surgical pain is letting up I can feel more what is going on. Some exciting things, my back feels a little more stable! I can already tell that it has helped a great deal with this. It is easier for me to move, easier for me to stand up (though I still can't stand longer than a minute or two). The pain at that lower spine level is better too.

My most happy surprise outcome from this procedure is that I can eat again (weird, I know)! Since I've had the fractures I've struggled with being able to eat and keep my food down. It literally felt like my stomach was folded over on itself. I had to eat to take my medicines but I often would get sick 4-6hrs later... So I needed to eat but I couldn't, horrible situation. It is better now, Thank God!!!

I knew that severe kyphosis could cause GI symptoms but I did not know if they would be reversible with kyphoplasty. I assumed that more fractures would have to be fixed before I might experience any relief.

I hope I'm not speaking too soon and this is just a wonderful break in symptoms. I haven't had a break (symptom relief) like this though since the pain started.

My doctor's office called today to move my appt for the Kyphoplasty procedure for T9 and T10 up to May 14th. My doctor was upset when he saw that I was scheduled to wait until May 24th. So now my wait will be 10 days less [Smile]

Thank you friends for praying for me. I'm so excited to be seeing some improvements. It's nice to have hope that I really am going to get better.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

PRAISE THE LORD!! [Smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Spindleshanks
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 32556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spindleshanks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah!
Posts: 253 | From CA | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dogsandcats
Member # 28544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dogsandcats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am so happy for you, God is good!

--------------------
God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there.

Billy Graham

Posts: 1967 | From California | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Halleluliah!! (sp?).

I'll send you an email with more.

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

That is wonderful news, sammy!

Still praying for you. God is faithful and He does hear our prayers!

--------------------

Sammi
Member # 110

sammy, I am so glad things are improving for you on multiple levels!

I hope you continue to improve.

TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praising God for you and every improvement!!
Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pug7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy, I HAVE had to consider the Kyphoplasty. I was too afraid of the cement leaking, honestly. I have multiple fractures as well, and know how bad the pain is right after (the pain gets better but never goes away entirely, and can be revived with the wrong movements, so I have to be very careful.)

I have experienced problems with eating and breathing, and even changes in heart rate, when I sit wrong for a long time, or reach, or lift something heavy. These effects last for days, or even weeks. I do Tai Chi and other things to try to align and stretch the area I have left on my spine, so there is enough room for organs like GI system and lungs to function better. But that's all I can do. I also acquired scoliosis from the fractures.

I have written to caution that kyphoplasty isn't the answer for everyone, but with things happening so fast, I can see that you had to do some. I also wrote to tell you that my doctor told me to beware of using a brace too much, and to keep my muscles from atrophying by trying hold myself up, painful as it might be.

I have had months when I could not stand up, sit or lie down. There are no other choices, right? I could not hold a small glass of ginger ale (I remember this, at a party).

So the thing is, and this is what I meant about "short term fix," the new cement structuring your spine can help what has already happened (and again, calcitonin is good for the pain, I cannot take it due to allergy to salmon and wish I could- it is a nasal spray- especially good right after a fracture).

But it looks to me like your main problem is low parathyroid hormone, which is what Forteo is. Even though it may take awhile for it to build bones, I would speculate that it will IMMEDIATElY stop bone loss and reverse the low levels of hormone that you have.

Isn't anyone worried about more fractures, not only of your spine but wrist, foot, neck, femur, etc?

I have a great book by someone who was in your position. It is "The Whole Body Approach to Osteoporosis." Author R. Keith McCormick. He did do biphosphonates for 6 months to stabilize things. But they do make Forteo less effective, so taking Forteo first and then Reclast would work better.

Here is the reason for delay in treatment: Forteo is expensive!! They need a diagnosis to get insurance to pay for it. Your parathyroid is low. Did they say it is not low enough to get Forteo? You have several "low impact" fractures which means severe osteoporosis, with a score of -3 on your scan. I would push them to do Forteo if you can, as soon as possible, because although the kyphoplasty may have restored some vertebral height, it only addressed an effect, not a cause, as you well know.

By the way, I have lupus and cannot go in the sun (no natural D), am allergic to salmon (no calcitonin), am allergic to dairy products and oj (no calcium that way), allergic to soy and bioidentical hormones, they don't want to do Evista because of the lupus, biphosphonates by mouth cause esophagitis, and the MD's agree I am too sensitive to risk Reclast and have a drug in my system long term that I might react to. Prolia is new but suppresses immune function (though that can help lupus). I tried Forteo but had a bad reaction, so they are doing desensitization with me starting next week. (I was treated for Lyme for 6 years and improved but not that much.)

So I am one person here who has been where you are and can tell you it is possible to live okay with what you have in terms of fractures, but I do fear that delay in getting you on Forteo might mean more troubles. And there are many bumps in the road of treatment for people like us (immune problems, Lyme etc.) But it can be okay.

Finally, how are things in terms of space around your spinal cord? Any narrowing?

p.s. orthopedist wanted to do kyphoplasty on me, not neurosurgeon...

Posts: 108 | From US | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

pps Just thought of something. Many doctors don't know this. The first month of Forteo is FREE. They give you an injection device that is full of enough meds for one month. My PCP could not prescribe because insurance needed to be worked out. But the specialist started me anyway, and then her staff worked out the insurance afterward. So that is one thing to mention to an MD to avoid delay regarding insurance. Hope that helps.
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy this made my day, I am so very thankful that God has answered our prayers for you. Will continue to pray for your continued improvement !! [group hug]

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you for understanding Pug. I really am sorry to hear that you are suffering with this too.

I would not have chosen to do the Kyphoplasty unless absolutely necessary. As you have pointed out, there are risks, like cement leaking, worse infection could set in... These things scare the daylights out of me.

I've only been wearing my back brace for short periods of time like you said because I don't want my muscles to become weak. None of my doctors warned me about this. I am supposed to see a physiatrist (PM&R doc) soon so maybe they would have told me?

My LLMD's NP seems to be the only one truly concerned about my current condition. My rheumatologist and PCP have not stepped up to prescribe the Forteo yet. I really don't understand why not. My z score is -3.8, that is osteoporosis. I hope that my LLMD will just go ahead and prescribe the Forteo for me soon. I really don't want any more fractures!

I have not seen my MRI reports yet to know if I have any spinal stenosis (I will get a copy soon). No one has mentioned it to me yet. But I know that doctors usually only tell us what they want. So it doesn't mean that that our results are normal. That's about clear as mud, right? [Smile]

For example, I had a IV port placed in January. The x-ray to confirm the placement revealed that I had pneumonia! I had surgery in the hospital and no on bothered to tell me that I had pneumonia show up on my chest x-ray!!! During that time I had been having daily fevers, fluey feeling, increased fatigue, difficulty breathing...

No wonder I kept getting sicker until my LLMD started me on a strong IV antibiotic.

Pug, thank you for taking the time to help me and share your story with me. I greatly appreciate your advice. I do hope that you will be able to start to tolerate Forteo and start to feel better soon.

Thank you EVERYONE for continuing to be so good to me, for all your kind thoughts and prayers [Smile]

pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

I hope an answer is found soon. And yes,I guess I have learned to get all records!

I was in the osteoporosis clinic in Boston last week. A man in his 40's or 50's maybe, was walking around with a Forteo kit just like mine (it comes in a blue case with a handle) and we got talking.

He and I agreed that noone understands the pain of this, and neither of us had really talked to anyone about it, nor had we gotten any support from anyone like family or friend. He seemed bitter about it, but I am used to that kind of thing. There are a lot of things that people don't understand.

People on here are supportive at least.

The pain will ultimately be bearable for you and you will be okay, if not pain free. I just hope an MD addresses the root cause.

My only parting words concern antibiotics. Just make sure that whatever antibiotics you are on, do not contribute to bone loss.

Take care and good luck! Thanks for your kind words.

nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WOW! You poor, strong ,sweetie..........
So very much to go through.....
Am praying for you..

It's amazing what others said on post.

I had know idea about most of this and have had back issues for years...
I guess doctor's can only focus on one thing at a time.

That was so wonderful that your new doc saw the schedule and moved thing's up.

Is he one that could order this Forteo med for you??

By brain still hasn't grasp what it does.

What kind of do was he ?? The radiologist guy?

You had an appt . at the start of this post with an Immunologist?? Was that right?? How did that go???

It's makes me so upset that these doctors pass us around ,when we're so sick in the first place and have to guess and push .

i THINK THEY ARE TRYING, IT'S JUST SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD BE EASIER TO PUT 2&2 TOGETHER.

Anyway, God love you, keep you, hold you and send his mighty warrior angles to cover you.......

So much for so young, I pray the Lord restores what the locust's have taken and you have many ,happy years of health ahead of you..
[kiss] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

*Update 5/12* (actually it's 5/13 because it is past midnight so call it whatever day you want!)

Hi friends, it's been awhile since I've give you all an update.

I'm having surgery on Monday (5/14) @ 7:30am. They are going to repair 2 more vertebrae (T9 and T10).

I have mixed emotions going into this. I really don't want to endure the pain of recovery again. Yet I so desperately need this surgery to fix and stabilize my fractured vertebrae.

The pain (of the fractures) has been unbearable, excruciating. It's starting to wear on me emotionally. I almost feel like I'm a prisoner in my own body. I can barely tolerate sitting for a few minutes now and the pain is keeping me awake at night.

So, I really need this surgery to help. Afterwards 4 out of the 7 fractured vertebrae will be fixed.

Please pray for my doctor that God will guide him in his thoughts and use his hands to treat me well. Please pray for the anesthesiologist that she will medicate me properly so that I will not feel pain and that God will bless my nurses and the rest of the medical staff to take good care of me.

And please pray for me that God will use this surgery to help my body to heal. That He will prevent any complications. That he will help me to trust in him and not be afraid.

Thank you friends [Smile] You have been more than good to me.

TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Please pray for my doctor that God will guide him in his thoughts and use his hands to treat me well. Please pray for the anesthesiologist that she will medicate me properly so that I will not feel pain and that God will bless my nurses and the rest of the medical staff to take good care of me.

And please pray for me that God will use this surgery to help my body to heal. That He will prevent any complications. That he will help me to trust in him and not be afraid."

Amen and Amen! Silver and I stand with you (or lay on the table which ever you prefer! [Smile] ) during this time.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nonna05
Member # 33557

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nonna05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lord be with you Monday, watch over and protect you.
May He shine His face upon you and keep you in the shadow of His mighty Love and Grace.....

Lord let her not wake up until they are done and that the work is your perfection through their hands.

Sammy , know that so many are praying for you and love you...I know it's through computer ,,but we do. [group hug] Nonna

Posts: 2563 | From Denver,CO | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy,
I said a prayer for you too.

There is something that can help speed recovery from surgery, and that is LED light therapy.
It reduces swelling and pain, and helps bones heal.

I hope everything goes well for you.

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

sammy, I totally understand when you say that this is wearing on you emotionally and that you feel like a prisoner in your body. I have felt like this so many times even if it is for a different reason.

I am praying for a safe, successful surgery on Monday and for strength during your recovery. Envision all of your fellow Lymenet warriors surrounding you with their support.

Please let us know how you are doing when you are able.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Praying for ALL of the above! May God heal you perfectly and remove your pain.

[group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

lightfoot
Member # 2536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightfoot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear sammy,

My heart goes out to you. I hope you are able to get this sorted out and get the much needed relief.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.....

--------------------
Healing Smiles.....lightfoot [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Posts: 7228 | From CO | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, sammy, I am praying this exact thing for you.

And, that God will bless you mightily through this ordeal.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prayers going up for the best possible result for sammy. God bless you, girl, and take away your fears.
Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Will be praying much for you Sammy. So very sorry that you have to endure such stress and pain...I really am.
Alexandru Matei
Member # 37348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alexandru Matei   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, my!

Hang in there, it will get better. It has to!

Alex

--------------------
Lyme Disease
Boala Lyme
Borrelioza

~ I was possibly infected when I was 5, un-diagnosed until adulthood, developed severe symtoms at 19 ....

~ Currently on natural protocol.

Posts: 32 | From Romania | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fflutterby
Member # 28081

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fflutterby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keeping you and all of your Dr's and nurses in prayer sammy. Big (( Hugs )) for you. God is good and loves you so much.

--------------------
Psalm 46 1 God is our refuge and strength

Posts: 1367 | From North Jersey | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you so much for praying for me.

I went this morning at 7:30am, they got me all ready for the surgery, was just basically waiting to go...

Until the doctor discovered that they didn't have the special bone cement that he had ordered for me. What a bummer.

So he sent me home because they couldn't get it before 1pm. Now I will have to return for surgery at 1:30 pm today.

I'm super tired but just pray that everything goes well later today as God has planned.

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Aww, sammy, so sorry to hear that your surgery was delayed until later today.

I am praying for you and the medical team.

God is in control.

--------------------

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

We are all praying that the surgery went well, and that you heal quickly and well. Lots of love an prayers coming your way from so many of us----I'm sure way more people than have responded here.

When you are up to it, which probably won't be for a while, let us know how you are doing.

I know you can't possibly think beyond this now, but I do hope that the surgeon can fix more vertebrae, too. (Along with God fixing them, of course!).

Silverwolf
Member # 9196

<<<<< sammy >>>>>,

Are you doing okay? Did they do the second surgery?

Anyone heard anything??? We are continuing to pray for a speedy recovery!!!

Jus' Silverwolfi and Txcoord too...a wondering how it's going!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

I spoke to her. She had the surgery. She can't sit up much though, so it may take some time for her to come back on and report more. I'm sure that continued prayers would be appreciated. I am sure that that is already happening!
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

<<<<< Rumigirl >>>>>,

Thanks for the info',we'll continue in prayer,glad she's come thru, and prayers going up for a good safe and quick recovery !!!

<<<<< sammy >>>>>, gentle hugs,and lots of prayers, rest as much as you can !!!

Jus' that Silverwolfi and TxCoord here, and all the Lyme family too [Smile] !!!

--------------------
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Thanks, rumi!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Rumigirl
Member # 15091

I spoke to her again. She wants to come on Lymenet, but can't sit up really. It was good to talk to her both times. I swear that she is a saint by now---probably many times over!

The love and prayers of everyone are a good support, as she truly needs it. I just wish that there could be someone there to physically support her in all ways. Yes, she's with her family, but so much more is needed. Many here are also in need of help that isn't available.

momindeep
Member # 7618

Come back to us Sammy when you can. Continuing prayers for you.
Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Praying for sammy!!

[group hug] [group hug] [group hug]

--------------------

sammy
Member # 13952

*Update 5/20/12*

I'm back!!!

Sorry it's taken me so long to come back and give you all an update. I don't have a laptop computer so I literally have to come and sit in my old Ikea chair to use my desktop computer.

I've tried a couple times but haven't been able to tolerate the pain. So I probably won't be on here long but I really missed you all and I wanted to thank you...

Thank you so so so... much for praying for me! I did eventually have the surgery on monday and it went well.

This time I woke up during the surgery many times. I remember telling them that I had pain and it hurt. Thankfully, each time I said anything the anesthesiologist was quick to give me the medicine to put me back to sleep and out of pain.

Afterwards she told me that she had never experienced anything like what had happened during my surgeries. She couldn't believe how much medicine she kept having to give me and I still kept waking up and having pain. I could tell that she was disturbed by it. It scares me too, I don't like waking up.

The rest of the week was emotionally and physically difficult because I was not able to rest as much as I should have. My rheumatologist told me that he would not treat my severe osteoporosis if I chose to continue the antibiotics. This was unexpected. Stopping the antibiotics would literally be a death sentence for me right now because of my immune deficiency.

My PCP also decided to stop prescribing my pain meds and only refilled 3 days worth after my surgery. This is after he told me that he would continue prescribing them for at least 2 more weeks until my next follow-up when we would discuss a referral to pain management specialist (at my request).

My insurance also does not want to pay for the medicine that I need to stop my bones from breaking. This is after my doctor got a prior authorization.

So I've been majorly stressed and frustrated and in pain.

I greatly need and appreciate your prayers.

I feel so selfish asking for continued prayer knowing that others are struggling too. I also feel so disappointed, I didn't want to post until I had more positive to say than negative.

As of right now I am only scheduled to follow-up with my doctor in a couple weeks after my back has "healed". There are no more surgeries planned right now.

My back feels more stable but overall the pain is not much better yet. This is extremely disappointing. By now the post-op pain should be gone so what I'm feeling is probably still from the 3 known fractures that have not been repaired and who knows, maybe I have a new fracture in there too.

I'm going to call and try to move my appt up so that maybe I can get things moving faster. Maybe I need more imaging studies. Maybe I have something else going on that is causing pain also. I don't know. All I know is that the pain is still unbearable.

I also can't help but wonder if i process anesthesia meds so quickly, is this why my the pain med that I have at home hardly helps at all? I think it's a good possibility.

Thank you friends, thank you so much for caring for me and praying for me and sticking by my side even though I've not been here much lately.

You are truly a blessing to me and I pray that you will be blessed too [Smile]

Dekrator48
Member # 18239

Wow, sammy, thank you for the update.

I think you are an incredibly strong young lady.

Please don't ever feel selfish asking for prayer.

You have, and still are, going through so much.

Is it possible to find another Rheumatologist who may not be closed minded about the antibiotics?

I am praying fervently for you, dear friend.

I am praying that all those things work out for you and you will be pain free and healed.

Wish I could be there to help you.

Big hugs!!

--------------------

momindeep
Member # 7618

Okay...although this report from you isn't what we had all hoped for...I will pray that you won't become discouraged.

The Lord knows all things effortlessly...each minute detail. I will ask Him to smooth your path Sammy, for He knows what to do.

I will also ask the Lord to make sure that you know He is with you and is lovingly in charge of all things that make up your life.

I will ask Him to give you comfort in knowing that He will do all things for you because He loves you so and that this Truth will pierce your heart and mind so you can rest assuredly that all will be well.

Trust in the Lord for He cares for you.

Thanks for the update.

TxCoord
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9204

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxCoord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Father we pray that You would give Sammy peace in her heart and mind. That peace that takes away all our feelings of inadequacy.

Your peace, Father, that surpasses our understanding and will displace all of the attempts by the enemy to gain any foothold.

Let Your Holy Spirit surround Sammy and fill whatever room she is in so that others feel that Presence. Let the sweet aroma of the prayers of the faithful ascend to Your throne and be pleasing to You and grant us our request -

that Sammy be healed in the name of Jesus. That name above all names. That name which, at its very mention, the world trembles, believers willingly fall to their knees for and that any physical, medical issue must surrender to.

That name of Jesus, King of Kings, Lord of Lords, the Almighty, the Door, the Savior, the Healer!

Rest well friend Sammy, safe in the arms of faith, buoyed up by the support from all of us. Sleep the sleep of healing in your body. Sleep the sleep that brings rest to the body and to the mind.

And all said Amen.

--------------------
I have a good time wherever I go!

Posts: 665 | From Lost Wages, NV | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Member # 14183

I understand that the pain does not go away right after the surgery. It can take a few weeks.

Praying that you are going to experience pain relief.

nonna05
Member # 33557

Praying for you...
Can't believe they would hold back pain meds at this critical time....

If they had 5 minutes in your body, what would they want??

I'm sorry you have to go through this.

I'm another one that has woken up in the middle of several procedures . Especially if Fentynal sp? was part of it...Are you by chance on Rifampin???

That can lower effectiveness of so many medicines..

Either way I pray you get healing and pain relief and peace......Head to toe..

[kiss] Nonna

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
processing pain meds is a gene thing, CYP450 some are just fast processors.

There are even gene tests for that. http://www.aafp.org/afp/2007/0801/p391.html

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your PCP or LLMD should be able to prescribe the osteoporosis meds -- does not need to be a rheumatologist.

Hubby's PCP prescribed his reclast (done as out patient in the hospital) and has discussed possibility of forteo depending on next bone density scan results.

If I remember correctly the reclast injection bill came to about 3500 but of course insurance cut that back -- both times hubby had already maxed out his out of pocket for the year so did not owe anything.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme in Putnam
Member # 11561

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme in Putnam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy, sorry for what you've geen going through. God bless.

--------------------
He took u to it, He'll you through

Posts: 2837 | From NE. | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Why isn't the surgeon compassionate enough to prescribe pain meds? I have pain meds and haven't even had surgery.

[confused]

praying for you, sammy [group hug]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spontaneous compression fractures...my mom (much older) had those happen.

Osteoporosis.

Kyphoplasty. Literally "cement" the break. Ouch gone immediately.

However, the danger is that the vertebrae above or below may then break.

Video here:

http://www.spine-health.com/video/kyphoplasty-osteoporosis-fracture-treatment-video

Find a good orthopedic doctor willing...

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy,

The mystery of suffering is beyond comprehension. I just ask the Father of compassion declare that

enough is enough. May His tender mercies sound from the heaven and set you free.

I think you are very brave and courageous. Do not let the enemy whisper lies to you. You are not selfish.

Blessings.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know...docs in Minnesota would not cement.

She couldn't move...lost a lot of weight very quickly. Wouldn't eat or drink because she did not want to have to use the bathroom in "rehab"...couldn't rehab! Idiots! Pain way too severe.

$16,000 private plane to return to Sarasota to have mom's vertebrae cemented. I'm not kidding.

Instant relief.

You have my sympathy and my prayers!

They will USUALLY heal on their own, but it takes many weeks.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you so much for your continued prayers and support. I can't tell you how much it really helps. I just feel so loved and so blessed.

There have been times when the pain has so overwhelming and I've wondered why am I here God? And I've thought it might be better if I didn't wake up in the morning.

I know that sounds awful but when you are really suffering with no end in sight and little help your mind starts to run away with thoughts that you don't like.

Knowing that you all are here for me and clearly love me, I could feel it and it has helped me so much. I'm not kidding, I'm not exaggerating.

I really do thank you for being here for me.

I don't have to leave my house to find my friends because you all are right here [Smile]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement