LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » 10 Broken Vertebrae! *Update 6/8* (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: 10 Broken Vertebrae! *Update 6/8*
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy, I think we have all felt like you describe. These diseases are very tough to deal with on so many levels.

Lymenet is a great place for support!

You really have been tested, and you are so strong. Hang in there okay?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We hear ya, sammy! Yes, we can relate!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since the pain has not improved my doctor ordered another MRI to check to see if I have any new fractures, to look at the state of the un-repaired fractures, and make sure that there isn't anything else going on in my back that might be causing this excruciating pain.

My MRI is scheduled for wednesday afternoon. Oh I really really hope that there is nothing else going on with my back. I hope that it is just the 3 un-repaired fractures that are still causing me pain. If they are not healing well then my doctor said that he will do the kyphoplasty procedure to fix them.

My LLMD has taken over and prescribed the Forteo to treat my osteoporosis. He managed to get me a sample so I could get started on it right away while they work on getting insurance approval and such.

I'm also going to start seeing a physiatrist (aka PM&R doctor). She will eventually help with rehab. Right now she said we can only be safe and treat the pain while we wait for the MRI to see if I have more fractures that need repaired. She was extremely nice, a God send!

So much has happened this week.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be praying for you Sammy. You enter my thoughts throughout my days and I am keeping petitions for you going to Lord each time.

The Lord is only good.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy, you are a pillar of strength!

Prayers continue for you. I hope your MRI will be clear.

I am so glad your LLMD was able to get you started on Forteo and get you a sample since it is so expensive.

This has been a tough week for many of us, let's hope next week is much better!

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Update 6/8/12*

I had a follow-up to get the results of my MRI today. Was not able to see my regular doctor, had to reschedule and see his partner instead (bad idea...).

He said that my MRI was "normal"! That I will "have to get used to the back pain"!!! "because I'm a complex patient with many medical problems that can be contributing"?!?

I broke down and cried, he looked at me unphased. (Before my appt I was praying that I would remain composed this overwhelming pain sometimes gets the best of me). This unempathetic doc has no idea what all I'm going through right now. The only reason I had to see him was because I'm traveling to see my LLMD next week and had to change my appt with my normal doc.

Before I left I got a copy of my MRI. It was not normal. It said that I now have 10 vertebral fractures, T3- T12 (only 4 of these my doc has fixed). No wonder I still have extreme pain!

It also said that I have degenerative disk disease throughout the thoracic spine.

They also found a small nerve sheath tumor and recommended a follow-up MRI with contrast for further evaluation.

They also found a small lesion on my liver which they noted is probably benign.

So not "normal"!!!

The doctor did recommend that I go to a chronic pain clinic. I told him that the percocet I'm taking now barely helps. I can't live like this, I can barely shower and take care of myself.

He recommended having my doctor try a nerve block. If that works they can do another procedure to kill the small nerves in that same area that are causing me pain. I think it would only help for a small area.

He also said that I might be a candidate for a spinal nerve stimulator. It's an implanted electrical device that helps relieve pain.

I would think that they would go ahead and treat the other fractures. Unless it is now too late. And now I'm stuck with the pain. Forever.

I just can't handle this.

I'm traveling to see my LLMD next week. He's concerned about all these weird medical things happening all at once. While I'm so far from his office.

Please pray for travel mercies. That my family and I will have a safe trip and that I will feel OK. Please pray also for my LLMD. That God will bless him, guide his thoughts and decisions to treat me well.

I know that I am an unusually sick patient. I happen to have a bunch of weird and rare things going on with me that complicate the Lyme picture. I didn't chose these things. If I could, I would chose to be healthy.

Just because I'm complicated and sick doesn't mean that they should give up on me, that means I need more help. I need my LLMD to remember this and please not give up on me.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

sammy, it sounds like the doctor you saw was absolutely horrible to put it nicely. I recommend making an appointment with the original doctor to see what he says.

Thank goodness you got a copy of your MRI. How many people would have listened to this uncaring doctor because they did not know better?

I pray you will have a safe journey to the Lyme doctor and the strength you need for the trip. I know it is thoroughly exhausting especially when you have so many things happening at once.

I believe you are in the best hands possible with your Lyme doctor. If anyone can help sort this out, he can.

Hang in there okay?

momindeep
Member # 7618

Icon 1 posted      Profile for momindeep     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am praying for you Sammy and will continue to do so each and every day. The Lord said He would never leave you or forsake you and His Word is golden.

I am so very sorry this is happening to you. I will ask the Lord to bless you and keep you and help you in extraordinary ways.

I cannot imagine your pain, but the Lord knows. He knows every molecule of your being and I will ask Him to set things right.

I will also ask the Lord to give you some earthly help...someone to lend a hand or ear to give you some rest both emotionally and physically.

Thanks for the update, I was wondering about you and am thankful for details so I can pray accordingly.

Posts: 1512 | From Glenwood City WI | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Praying for you....what a jerk that doctor was!!! I am so sorry you have even more problems with your back. I am so so sorry you are living in such pain. My mother had horrific back pain and she did get a nerve block which helped her immensely, and acupuncture was the only other thing that helped, and the thing that helped her the most.

Will continue to pray every day. I hate to hear of you suffering like this. I can't imagine how you are enduring it.

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sammy, this is beyond the beyond!!! Please make an appointment with your regular dr ASAP. Stress that it is an emergency, and get on a cancellation list, too, for anything sooner. This truly is an emergency. You don't want to wait until it's too late to do more kyphoplasty.

It would be good to make an appointment as soon as possible for pain management to see you through this time.

As a heads up, I always get the test results BEFORE the appointment, so I can discuss it with the dr. But sometimes they are hard-nosed about it, saying that they can't give it to me until the dr signs it. You likely tried.

Is your mom or anyone able to go with you next week to help?? That sounds so difficult for you right now. It would be good for you to see him. I just worry about the physical stress of the traveling. Of course, ask for help at the airport, in terms of either a wheel chair or one of those cart things, if it would help, which I'm sure it would. I'm not sure if the wheel chair has to be ordered in advance or not.

If there is any way to make sure that you have enough pain meds for the trip please do. It would help for sure.

We will order up an angel to sit on your shoulder for this trip! (Well, maybe not sit on your shoulder . . . right above your shoulder!).

Lots of love and prayers to you.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debilyn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debilyn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You got it. Prayers going up for safe travel, successful doc visit, and for relief from your pain.
Posts: 331 | From West Coast | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jdp710
Member # 34017

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jdp710     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy,

Please look into PEMF. I posted back in march on it but I highly recommend this for you. Start calling around to see who has one available in your area that can treat you such as with a PEMF-100 device or similar PEMF device.

That is the best thing I know available that will reduce pain and also heal the bones as well as turning on stem cells for repair for cases such as yours.

Here are some links of interest. The youtube channels from Dr. G from the channel longevity123 on youtube is always good to listen to.

http://gordonresearch.com/PEMF/

http://research.whnlive.com/PEMF/Compiled.php

http://www.braintuner.com/magresearch.htm

http://www.pemf.us/docs/ScienStudies_Magnetic64.pdf

Wishing the best for you sammy.

quote:
Bone Fractures - a group of 83 adults with ununited fractures were examined for the effects of bone grafting and pulsed electromagnetic fields for this study. Results showed a successful healing rate of 87 percent in the original 38 patients treated with bone grafts and PEMF for ununited fractures with wide gaps, malalignment, and synovial pseudarthrosis. Of the 45 patients that were not successfully treated with PEMF and had bone grafting, when re-treated with pulsing electromagnetic fields, achieved a 93 percent success rate. C.A. Bassett, et al.,Treatment of Therapeutically Resistant Non-unions with Bone Grafts and Pulsing Electromagnetic Fields, Journal of Bone Joint Surg, 64(8), October 1982, p. 1214-1220.

Examining the effects of pulsing electromagnetic fields on 125 patients suffering from ununited fractures of the tibial diaphysis, showed a healing success rate of 87%. C.A. Bassett, et al.,Treatment of Ununited Tibial Diaphyseal Fractures with Pulsing Electromagnetic Fields, Journal of Bone Joint Surg, 63(4), April 1981, p. 511-523.

Results of this study showed treatment with pulsed electromagnetic fields resulted in an overall success rate of at least 75 percent in patients suffering from tibial lesions. M.W. Meskens, et al.,Treatment of Delayed Union and Nonunion of the Tibia Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields. A Retrospective Follow-up, Bull Hosp Jt Dis Orthop Inst, 48(2), Fall 1988, p. 170-175.

This review article makes the following observations with respect to the use of pulsed electromagnetic fields in treating ununited fractures, failed arthrodeses, and congenital pseudarthroses. The treatment has been shown to be more than 90 percent effective in adult patients. In cases where union does not occur with PEMFs alone after approximately four months, PEMF treatment coupled with fresh bone grafts ensures a maximum failure rate of only 1 to 1.5 percent. For those with delayed union three to four months following fracture, PEMFs appear to be more successful than in patients treated with other conservative methods. For more serious conditions, including infected nonunions, multiple surgical failures, long-standing atrophic lesions, failed knee arthrodeses after removal of infected prostheses, and congenital pseudarthroses, PEMF treatment has exhibited success in most patients.17 C.A. Bassett, The Development and Application of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMFs) for Ununited Fractures and Arthrodeses, Clin Plast Surg, 12(2), April 1985, p. 259-277.

Results of this study found that 35 of 44 nonunited scaphoid fractures 6 months or older healed in a mean time of 4.3 months during pulsed electromagnetic field treatment using external coils and a thumb spica cast. G.K. Frykman, et al.,
Treatment of Nonunited Scaphoid Fractures Pulsed Electromagnetic Field and Cast, Journal of Hand Surg, 11(3), May 1986, p. 344-349.

This double-blind, placebo-controlled study examined the effects of pulsed electromagnetic fields in femoral neck fracture patients undergoing conventional therapy. PEMF treatment was started within two weeks of fracture, and patients were instructed to make use of the electromagnetic device for 8 hours per day over a 90-day period. Results showed beneficial effects relative to controls after 18 months of follow-up. E. Betti, et al., Effect of Electromagnetic Field Stimulation on Fractures of the Femoral Neck. A Prospective Randomized Double-Blind Study,; Second World Congress for Electricity and Magnetism in Biology and Medicine, 8-13 June 1997, Bologna, Italy.

Results of this double-blind study showed significant healing effects of low-frequency pulsing electromagnetic fields in patients treated with femoral intertrochanteric osteotomy for hip degenerative arthritis. G. Borsalino, et al., Electrical Stimulation of Human Femoral Intertrochanteric Osteotomies. Double-Blind Study, Clin Orthop, (237), December 1988, 256-263.

In this study, 147 patients with fractures of the tibia, femur, and humerus who had failed to benefit from surgery-received treatment with external skeletal fixation in situ and pulsed electromagnetic fields. Results indicated an overall success rate of 73 percent. Femur union was seen in 81 percent and tibia union in 75 percent. M. Marcer, et al., Results of Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields (PEMFs) in Ununited Fractures after External Skeletal Fixation, Clin Orthop, (190), November 1984, . 260-265

This study examined the effects of extremely low frequency electromagnetic fields (1-1000 Hz, 4 gauss) on new bone fractures of female patients.Results led the authors to suggest that EMF treatment accelerates the early stages of fracture healing. O. Wahlstrom, Stimulation of Fracture Healing with Electromagnetic Fields of Extremely Low Frequency (EMF of ELF), Clin Orthop, (186), June 1984, . 293-301.

This study examined the preventive effects of low-frequency pulsing electromagnetic fields against delayed union in rat fibular osteotomies and diaphyseal tibia fractures in humans. Results indicated such treatment modulated and accelerated fracture union in both groups. A.W. Dunn & G.A. Rush, 3d, Electrical Stimulation in Treatment of Delayed Union and Nonunion of Fractures and Osteotomies, Southern Medical Journal, 77(12),December 1984, . 1530-1534.

This article discusses the cases of two children with bone malunion following lengthening of congenitally shortened lower legs. Pulsed sinusoidal magnetic field treatment was beneficial for both patients. F. Rajewski & W. Marciniak, Use of Magnetotherapy for Treatment of Bone Malunion in Limb Lengthening. Preliminary Report, Chir Narzadow Ruchu Ortop Pol, 57(1-3), 1992,. 247-249.

Results of this study showed that 13 of 15 cases of long bone nonunion treated with pulsed electromagnetic fields in combination with Denham external fixator united within several months. R.B. Simonis, et al.,The Treatment of Non-union Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields Combined with a Denham External Fixator, Injury, 15(4), January 1984, . 255-260.

Results of this study found electromagnetic field stimulation to be an effective treatment for nonunion among a group of 37 French L. Sedel, et al.,Acceleration of Repair of Non-unions electromagnetic Fields, Rev Chir Orthop Reparatrice Appar Mot, 67(1), 1981, . 11-23.

Results of this study found treatment induced pulsing to be beneficial in patients suffering from nonunions unresponsive to surgery. J.C. Mulier & F. Spaas,Out-patient Treatment of Surgically Resistant Non-unions Induced Pulsing Current - Clinical Results, Arch Orthop Trauma Surg, 97(4), 1980,.293-297.

In this interview with Dr. C. Andrew L. Bassett, a physician researching the use of pulsed electromagnetic fields for the past 30 years at Columbia University's Orthopedic Research Lab, Dr. Bassett notes that approximately 10,000 of the 12,000-plus orthopedic surgeons in the U.S. have used pulsed electromagnetic fields on at least one patient. Many such surgeons have incorporated the therapy on a more regular basis. He estimates that a total of at least 65,000 patients nationwide have received the treatment, with a probable success rate of between 80 and 90 percent. Use of the treatment has been primarily in patients suffering from nonunited fractures, fusion failures, and pseudoarthrosis.C.A. Bassett, Conversations with C. Andrew L. Bassett, M.D. Pulsed Electromagnetic Fields. A Noninvasive Therapeutic Modality for Fracture Nonunion (Interview), Orthop. Review, 15(12)1986 781-795.

Results of this study showed pulsed electromagnetic fields to have beneficial healing effects in patients suffering from difficult to treat and surgically resistant bone nonunions. This review article notes that the use of pulsed electromagnetic fields began in 1974, and that 250,000 nonunion patients have received the treatment since. The author argues that success rates are comparable to those of bone grafting, and that PEMF treatment is more cost-effective and free of side effects. The FDA approved PEMF use in 1982, although it remains widely unused due to physician misunderstanding and lack of knowledge concerning the treatment. A. Bassett,
Therapeutic Uses of Electric and Magnetic Fields in Orthopedics,& quot; in D.O. Carpenter & S. Ayrapetyan, (eds.), Biological Effects of Electric and Magnetic Fields. Volume II: beneficial and Harmful Effects, San Diego: Academic Press, 1994, . 13-48.

This 7-year study examined data on more than 11,000 cases of nonunions treated with pulsed electromagnetic fields for up to 10 to 12 hours per day. Results indicated an overall success rate of 75 percent. A.A. Goldberg, Computer Analysis of Data on More than 11,000 Cases of Ununited Fracture Submitted for Treatment with Pulsing Electromagnetic Fields, Bioelectrical Repair and Growth Society, Second Annual Meeting, 20-22 September 1982, Oxford, UK, . 61.

This study examined the effects of low-frequency electromagnetic fields (1-1000 Hz) on middle-aged female patients suffering from fresh radius fractures. Results showed significant increases in scintimetric activity surrounding the fracture area after two weeks of EMF treatment relative to controls. O. Wahlstrom, Electromagnetic Fields Used in the Treatment of Fresh Fractures of the Radius, Bioelectrical Repair and Growth Society, Second Annual Meeting, 20-22 September 1982, Oxford, UK, . 26.

This study examined the effects of constant magnetic fields in patients suffering from fractures. Results showed that magnetic exposure reduced pain and the onset of edema shortly after trauma. Where edema was already present, the treatment exhibited marked anti-inflammatory effects. The strongest beneficial effects occurred in patients suffering from fractures of the ankle joints. G.B. Gromak & G.A. Lacis, Evaluations of the Efficacy of Using a Constant Magnetic Field in Treatment of Patients with Traumas, in I. Detlav, (ed.), Electromagnetic Therapy of Injuries and Diseases of the Support-Motor Apparatus. International Collection of Papers, Riga, Latvia: Riga Medical Institute, 1987, . 88-95.

Results of this study found that 10 hours per day of electromagnetic stimulation (1.0-1.5 mV) produced complete union in 23 of 26 patients receiving the treatment for non-joined fractures. A.F. Lynch & P. MacAuley, Treatment of Bone Non-Union Electromagnetic Therapy, Ir Journal of Med Sci, 154(4), 1985, . 153-155.

This review article looks at the history of pulsed electromagnetic fields as a means of bone repair. The author argues that success rates have been either superior or equivalent to those of surgery, with PEMF free of side effects and risk. C.A.L. Bassett, Historical Overview of PEM-Assisted Bone and Tissue Healing,. Bioelectromagnetics Society, 10th Annual Meeting,19-24 June 1988, Stamford, CT,

If you can't find a PEMF device available in your area you can try to look for a Tenant Biomodulator or scenar device but I can't vouche how well it would work other than testimonials online.
Posts: 52 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pug7
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 36995

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pug7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if the PEMF would apply to spinal fractures, which are compression fractures and different from other fractures.

Sammy, dgenerative disc disease is pretty normal. Maybe that is what he was referring to.

If the MRI said 10 fractures, did he explain why he said those were "normal"? The picture doesn't make sense. Especially when he went on to make quite a few helpful suggestions. Why did he say that?

Editing to add: Sammy, Tai Chi helped me a lot. Find a class with people who have medical conditions. In my class, some people sit a lot, some have to be against a wall, and many are off balance, but we all benefit.

Your fractures won't hurt forever. And Forteo will do wonders. (I wish I could take it! I am in the same situation but had a horrible reaction to Forteo.) They are also using Forteo for arthritis. It will help you in many ways.

By the way, everyone gets a month's supply free while insurance is contacted. That little blue box is in refrigerators all over the country.

Posts: 108 | From US | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

sammy, how are you? How did your appointment go?
I hope it went well and that you made the trip okay.

hopeful4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8486

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy,

Praying for you that all goes well for you, and as soon as possible!

I do not really know about this condition you have, but a couple thoughts came to mind to ease pain. I don't know if they apply to your situation but I'll give it a try:

One is a TENS unit.
From wikipedia:

�Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (acronym TENS) is the use of electric current produced by a device to stimulate the nerves for therapeutic purposes.�

�TENS is a non-invasive, low risk nerve stimulation intended to reduce pain, both acute and chronic.�

Second is a lidocaine patch called Lidoderm. The lidocaine is a local anesthetic, and it is in the patch. It works by stopping nerves from sending pain signals.

And third is a topical gel called Voltaran. It is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (NSAID). On-label it�s used topically for joint pain. It can be used successfully for other types of pain including back pain.

Maybe your doctor has some samples of the Lidoderm or the Voltaran for you to try.

So sorry you�re going through this, and wishing you a speedy resolution.

Posts: 873 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement