LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Simplest exercise gives me extreme muscle pain next day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Simplest exercise gives me extreme muscle pain next day
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I've never really dealt with this symptom (or rather the severity of it)... But I can literally spend 5 minutes doing a few squats or push-ups etc and wake up the next day in full body, head to toe, extreme pain.

Sometimes I get it from doing nothing.

The best way to describe it is like constant growing pains (that you had as a kid). [Smile]

Really wish I could figure this one out. Muscle pain can be unbearable at times and makes it hard to sleep or function etc.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surprise
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34987

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surprise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you don't have any type of consistent exercise program?

This may sound simple, but, if you don't keep at it every other day, instead just doing it very spaced out whenever, it will hurt because you aren't slowly getting your muscles conditioned.

Stretching, enough magnesium intake. Also, the supplement BCAA (3 specific amino acids) help with muscle recovery.

Go very slow. No weights. 2 pound weights. Key is consistent, day in between to recover.

--------------------
Lyme positive PCR blood, and
positive Bartonella henselae Igenex, 2011.
low positive Fry biofilm test, 2012.
Update 7/16- After extensive treatments,
doing okay!

Posts: 2518 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya. I've lost so much weight that it's a bit hard to want to exercise.

I'm convinced I'm dealing with something that I'm not treating effectively.

Stretching and magnesium certainly help but this pain is insane. I've read babesia or fry bug. Ugh at the idea of it being something else on top of Bartonella/Lyme.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ditto Surprise, you have to say with it, every other day is good.

Example> If you exercise once a week, you'll always be in pain.

Good advise Surprise...

Steve

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Ya I know where yall are coming from - but I do try to workout 3 times a week and USED to be able to go hit golf balls.

This pain comes even without exercise.
And wow it's rough - maybe some of the worst pain I've ever felt.

steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you didn't get another tick bite?

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canefan-for me it is babesia and/or mycoplasma.

Deep bone pain.

Some have found brucella causes this "growing pain" bone pain.

Brucella tests are as bad as the lyme tests.

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 43732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Samlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an aching muscle pain constantly for years. It felt like I had worked out too hard the day before even though I hadn't done anything.

Prior to this I had been an active person. Gym/regular yoga. When it first started to set in I would think it meant I was out shape and needed to get more exercise.

Eventually I realized that exercising was not what I needed. If I start to feel anything like that now I know that all I can do is rest.

I'd take a Friday off and sleep for three days straight. That helped me more than pushing myself did.

I don't even know if the pain is completely gone or if I'm just used to it. It's definitely much less severe and with rest I think I'm able to manage it.

During the worst of it I doubt any amount of rest would have resolved it but I would say don't needlessly push your self to do exercise while going through that.

I resorted to long walks when I was feeling better. And Yoga. Harder workouts just knock me down these days. I'm still hoping to build back up to being able to do more.

After five years I was only recently diagnosed so adjusting to antibiotics, probiotics and vitamin regimens is my current focus.

There are definitely other ways to practice self care than by working out. If Lyme taught me anything its been some hard lessons in extreme self care.

You could focus heavy on nutrition instead. I did that at my sickest. I went from pizza and sandwich's to all organic homemade meals. It was a time consuming and challenging endeavor in the early stages.

My new LLMD gave me a supplement called Serrapeptase. I thought he had said it was supposed to be a liver detox but after looking it up it seems to be for muscle pain.

I guess I've been a bit less achey while taking it. No dramatic effect which is not surprising given that I've pushed that muscle pain to the back of my mind as much as humanly possible.

Posts: 154 | From Boston | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

I also take Serrapeptase and it certainly has helped me over the year (Serretia).

But this is all new to me.

Greta,
Funny you mention mycoplasma - I have tested highly positive (I think what my Doctor was was that my #'s were really high indicating an active infection).

That coupled with Bart seems to be my issue. I've just never really had the babesia symptoms (other than I guess this sever muscle pain.. which I'm certain can be a lot of things)

Greta - how did you go after Mycoplasma?

An no, I did not get bit by another tick.

Kudzuslipper
Member # 31915

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kudzuslipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi cane, I know exactly what your talking about. I describe it as a "headache in my bones" (although I think it was muscular) I used to live with this constantly before treating. This April It came back. I went on zyth and doxy. For 3 days before I herxed.... It was amazing, all my muscle pain melted. I've since dropped the doxy and although not as bad the muscle pain is back. So whatever it is I believe doxy hits it for me. So i think you are right thinking it is "something."

I don't think it's good to exercise if it is causing that much pain. Walk, swim, keep limber... But don't cause yourself pain. We all know the difference between normal muscle pain and over the top pain.

Posts: 1728 | From USA | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunman
Member # 23739

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you take statin drugs like Vytorin? I have been on Vytorin for almost 10 years and when I exercise I'm sore for 4 days so I don't do much anymore. Well I read where it can cause this and how it was over ratted so I stopped and the pain went away.

"Two of the most troubling potential side effects of Vytorin include extreme muscle pain and muscle disease (a condition called statin-induced myopathy), and serious liver problems."

http://www.healthy-heart-guide.com/vytorin-side-effects.html

Posts: 18 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

As Kudzu said it's a different kind of pain. The kind you wanna go to the hospital for to get an IV of muscle relaxants.

I've put up with some really tough muscular symptoms over the years but this takes the cake.

Growing pains on steroids. And my BP increases as a result of the pain. The alarm system is going off and I try to take anti-inflammatories but they only make me worse. Eeek

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Myalgic Encephalitis (ME) or "Chronic Fatigue" literature, it is called "Post Exertional Malaise", and is the result of mitochondrial dysfunction at the cellular level (mitochondria manufacture energy within the cells).

The cells are unable to use oxygen efficiently to produce energy, resulting in increased lactic acid levels in the blood, acidosis in the muscle cells, and build up of byproducts in the tissues surrounding muscle cells...which causes fatigue, inflammation and pain.

For some people with chronic conditions, this reaction can result from very little exertion, and take an extended time to recover from.

Here's an article that describes the process:

https://www.masscfids.org/resource-library/13-basic-information/302-mitochondrial-dysfunction-post-exertional-malaise-and-cfsme

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

Thanks Phoiph,

So supporting mitochondria might help greatly?

I have ATP Fuel which is supposed to be the premier mirochondrial repair formula. But of course I have to take super tiny doses and still get a lot of joint pain from the dose.

It really is crazy how I can't take anything without getting a strong negative reaction in my body.

Only thing I can tolerate (and it helps me greatly) are adaptogens.

LisaK
Member # 41384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph, this is interesting.

Canefan, I have been in treatment for almost a year, diagnosed last summer.

I have not had as much pain ever as I have right now. It is constant and achy and like a steamroller mowed me over.

This intensity has started last week after I started a new treatment for blastocystis. I have finished lyme, bart, and babs, as well as strep and some parasites.

my llmd told me this one would be rough, but the fact that I feel the worst physical pain with this one is amazing to me.

I am not sure the explanation, but I will read that article above from Phoiph and see if it makes sense for me.

just thinking about exercise makes me tired and sore

--------------------
Be thankful in all things- even difficult times and sickness and trials - because there is something GOOD to be seen

Posts: 3558 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canefan I think I know exactly what you are talking about. I am unable to exercise as well. But I have also been advised by more than one PT as well as chiros not to push it.
If the only exercise I get right now is going to work every day where I do a tremendous amount of walking, pushing people in wheelchairs, bending, lifting etc, doing housework, working out in the yard, taking care of the dog and stuff like that then that's fine.
Any direct exercise, targeting specific muscles is too difficult. My current PT does manual PT which is very different than the traditional method. She has given me some stuff to work on at home. But it is very light and at the first sign of discomfort I am to stop.
Perhaps you could look into manual PT? My issies are with an inflamed SI joint. The tiniest of things can really piss it off [Frown]

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issues, which resolved completely with consistent, daily home mHBOT (with supplemental oxygen). It took time, but I am now back to running again, etc., with normal recovery times.

Here is a great article explaining how mHBOT helps mitochondrial function, with case studies:

http://www.hbot.com/blog/edward-lucarini/hyperbaric-oxygen-treatment-mitrochondrial-cytopathies

Posts: 1885 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ellen101
Member # 35432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ellen101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph you do this at home? Can you tell me more about it?

The article you shared on mitochondrial dysfunction was very interesting. I was surprised to see that guaifenesen had helped so many. I happened to have some on hand so tried it out for myself today. I am happy to say I had a great day, amazing how it works.

Posts: 1748 | From United States | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Yes, I recovered from a severe, 8 year long battle with NeuroLyme and coinfections (5 years housebound) with my home chamber.

You may be interested in reading this thread (7 pages):

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=125201;p=0

(Note that the older pricing quotes are not accurate...there are discounts, etc. and other options available now.)

This brief, animated video provides an informative introduction and broad overview of hyperbaric oxygen and how it works in the body:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcSQQCzi1yg

Another great resource is a book entitled:
"The Oxygen Revolution" by Dr. Paul G. Harch. He also has a website: hbot.com. Be sure to check out the before and after SPECT scans...

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement