LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » veterianary billicin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: veterianary billicin
farmdog
Member # 7692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farmdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First I will state that I don't expect anyone to condone this as it is outside medical care.

But. I couldn't find my bicillin RX through my pharmacy but I have raised horses and order veterinary suppies. Peniclllin and bicillin are available through the vet supply houses so I ordered it (very very very cheap vs. RX - maybe because it doesn't come in the TUBEX vials). It is in a larege vial and you have to get the needles and syringes seperately.

I got it took the insert and compared to the insert for the TUBEX and there are small differences and I googled the differing ingredients and don't see anything harmful.

Anyone else every used this? Enough for 50 injections is about $50 w/needles/syringes vs. $100 per shot TUBEX.

Posts: 19 | From texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't know for sure.
if it is the same company, which it is,\
since it is not generic yet???
the formulations would be different and the preservatives may also be different.
but theoretically bicillin is bicillin
i would ask your md prior to use before anything this extreme.

i have over the years many people drugs on my dogs, altering the dose per weight.
yah know you may be safer with vet meds than generics.
a brand name horse or human drug must meet the
same standards.
you wouldn't want to give crap bicillin to a $250,000 horse would you????

anybody you ask will probably say no,
but don't hurt to ask, even the vet.
ask him if he would use it on himself if needed.
that should get you an honest
response.

there is not a lot of control on generics and
they are self regulated(haha) to control their
product to standards.

luckily most generics come from 2-3 big sources
and can't afford to screw up.

don't buy foreign generics or meds from 3rd world countries.
there is no control over manufacturing in other countries beware

docdave [confused]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farmdog
Member # 7692

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farmdog     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pharmacists couldn't even get the bicillin so after I order the cattle version (it is in all the beef we eat so it must be somewhat okay for people!) and I was picking up another RX - I asked about it - they said ask my VET??? So much for our medical system [confused]
Posts: 19 | From texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on it a year, bought it at the local feed store.100ml,,,11.95,and 10 cents for the swring,and 10 for the needles.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your pharmacist should be able to get it:

Tell him to tell his wholesaler that it is for an emergency. (The manufacturer told me that Lyme is considered an emergency.) The wholesaler then just needs to call the mfr. (King Pharmaceuticals) and tell them this. They will ship.

I was on Bicillin L-A 1.2mu for a year and a half, and never had a problem getting it. Just be sure to request refills as soon as your insurance will allow to make sure you have it before running out. It can take up to a week to arrive once the wholesaler speaks with King.

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spookydew
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8432

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spookydew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy terramycin eye ointment at pet store. I get fevers and chills when I use it. My floaters decrease. If stop using it floaters increase.
Posts: 290 | From ohio | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was at a kids birthday party in the Santa CRuz mountains once and Lyme came up- and one of the Moms said, "Oh, my daughter had Lyme when she was 5-she had to be on abx for a whole year."
I asked who treated her and she changed the subject oddly. Later she came up to me and said, "I treated her myself with animal meds- I'm a Vet and I couldn't get a doctor who would even examine the issue." SO that has always made me feel better about animal abx- that a Mom would use them on her own kid knowing their quality very well!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Farmdog,

Would you mind sharing which one is the same??

I also looked for it just in case my insurance didn't want to continue paying for it last year. But they were all different. Most we not "long Acting"

Thanks,

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Veterinary Bicillin for a Farmdog!

Dont the doctors warn you before writing a script for Bicillin that it might be impossible to fill because there is a National shortage?

Ticked, you are fortunate - I have read alot where people have been unsuccessful obtaining bicillin after being on it a while. That cant be good.

I guess while you figure out the safety issues it would be important to confirm that this is the
same as the long acting bicillin LA and not the shorter acting CR.

Sounds like 8Man might be able to give you that
information

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farmdog
Member # 7692

What I found is the bicillin C-R (not the L-A)but is says 48 hours acting so it should be better than the penicillin G procaine. I note that there is a 30 withdrawal period on it before the cattle are slaughtered so it would still be in the system. Plus they instruct to inject under the skin vs IM since IM will require a longer withdrawal. So if I IM that should be better.

I have it in the fridge and am going to try it today. Will let you all know how it goes.

I got 500 ml - enough for 125 4 ml injections - about $50. 125 Tubex injections would be about $12,500 according to my pharmacist. I hate the drug companies right now.

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the Penicillin LA that is indicated for Lyme. Penicillin G Benzathine.

The CR contains Penicillin G and Penicillin G
Procaine.

Are you sure of the "other ingredients"
that are in there? Did it come with Labeling
or a brand name. Cant be too cautious.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

75% of ABX made and consumed in the US
are used on Live stock--

Cattle get Treated better than us --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 8 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't this thread a sad commentary on the state of our medical system!

Even sick horses and cows can have all the Bicillin, or at least Pen BP, that they need without having to send their firstborn to market to pay for the stuff.

Sick Lymies having to go to the barn and stand in line with the cows to get any medical attention is pretty sad.

Those needing Doxycycline or Tetracycline on the other hand will have to do a species jump and become chickens. While in the henhouse, please be wary of the rooster.

To get Minocycline though requires a species jump few may be willing to make. The only way I know of to get it now is to become a teenager with acne.

If you can get past that, the rest is easy. Just eat lots of chocolate and go to a dermatologist. With a properly presented case of 'pizza face', you will be fixed up with a lifetime Minocycline prescription.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it is this manufacture,not sure if it was this exact penn.It also comes in a brown bottle

http://www.agri-med.com/site/255063/product/LP%20Pen-100

Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
regarding livestock:

It's a horrible travesty that we waste MOST of this country's antibiotics on livestock- in subclinical doses. The 'food' industry gives abx to beef and dairy cattle in prophylactic doses (meaning whether they're sick or not) because it speeds up rate of growth, and because our other farming practices affect cattle's immune systems.

The problem with subclinical doses of ANYTHING antibiotic is that it leads to antibiotic resistance. Some of these bugs jump the species barrier and infect humans.

And yet the IDSA folks claim that giving longterm antibiotics to humans with Lyme is a terrible idea because it causes antibiotic resistance.

Disgusting.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another disgusting thing about this topic is that it reminds me of several historical incidents I've read about whereby people who went to gay bars in the 1950's couldnt' get medical treatment when after being attacked by gay-bashers (ie either hospitals refusing to treat or police throwing the victim in jail on sodomy charges and refusing to treat the injuries, which resulted in death a number of times)- and sometimes the only treatment available (for bleeding, broken bones etc) was to haul the victim to a veterinarian- the vets were sometimes less likely to have this institutional bias that police/paramedics seemed to have at the time.

What with doctors being prosecuted for writing prescriptions, it looks like we're back to that degree of access to medical care, all over a frickin bug disease. disgusting.

[ 18. January 2007, 12:02 AM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
James H., the last four paragraphs of your post are funny enough to be reposted in the Lymenuts CD hits site(our Lyme hahas site). You could give them a cute title...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cat=1451

This was all I could find as far as a partial list of ``veterinary antibiotic equivalents'':

o Amikacin (Amiglyde-V, Amikacin C Injection, Amiject D)
o Aminopenicillins (Ampicillin, Amoxicillin)
o Amoxicillin/Clavulanate (Clavamox�, Augmentin�)
o Azithromycin (Zithromax�)
o Cephalosporins (Cefadroxil, Cephalexin, Cefazolin)
o Clindamycin (Antirobe�, Cleocin�)
o Doxycycline (Vibramycin�)
o Enrofloxacin (Baytril�)
o Erythromycin
o Extended-spectrum Penicillins (Carbenicillin: Geocillin, Pyopen, Geopen)
o Gentamicin (Gentocin)
o Kanamycin (Kantrim)
o Lincomycin (Lincocin�)
o Marbofloxacin (Zeniquin�)
o Metronidazole (Flagyl�)
o Novobiocin (Albaplex, Delta Albaplex)
o Nystatin, Neomycin, Thiostrepton, Triamcinolone (Animax�, Panolog�)
o Orbifloxacin (Orbax�)
o Penicillin G (Procaine, Benzathine, or Aqueous Penicillin G)
o Penicillinase-resistant penicillins (Cloxapen, Dycill, Bactocill)
o Sulfadimethoxine (Albon�)
o Sulfadimethoxine/Ormetoprim (Primor�)
o Tetracycline (Panmycin)
o Thiabendazole/Neomycin/Dexamethasone (Tresaderm�)
o Trimethoprim/Sulfadiazine and Trimethoprim/Sulfamethoxazole (Tribrissen)
o Trimethoprim/Sulfa (Bactrim�, Septra, Tribrissen�)
o Tylosin (Tylan�)

If you go to the link, there are articles associated with each abx listed, which tells what that particular abx is used for, etc. I'm sure how many of these might be available OTC.

Gee, I don't even see bicillin on here. Probably because these are common abx for pets, not necessarily for livestock.

Heck, maybe we should be getting our drugs at the feed store. And be nice to your vet. You may need him.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old vet used to give "Calf Scours Tablets with Teramycin" to his kids when they got sick.

I always have a couple bottles of these tablets stored in my basement in case of an emergency. I remember taking some many years ago - don't remember for what.

(BTW, the tablets are HUGE, but you can cut them up.)

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASIDE TO MariaA:

The first CPS organization was started in Great Britain because a repeatedly beaten and
abused little girl fled to the RSPCA for help-
(just like our SPCA but Royal!!). There was
no org for humans then!!!!!!! Yup, Lymies get treated in barbaric ways by the medical profession- in the bad old days alkies got thrown into asylums- but now the med profession knows the physiological components of addiction much better-and hopefully one day all doctors will know the stuff our LLMDs know*)!*)! I hope so()_!(_!(_!(

--------------------
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farmdog
Member # 7692

Well, I took my first injection of the vet penicillin about 2 hours ago. I am still alive to post this!

Actually, it wasn't too bad. I've been less worried about penicillin than about giving it to myself, but I have had experience injecting horses over the years with vaccines so I just decided if I could do it to them, I could do it to me. Wasn't that bad.

I'll be glad to post updates if anyone is interested.

Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, farmdog -- am interested in your reporting back. This vet med thread is interesting. Am wondering how far it can go, this crossing of vet med for humans. Do let us know if you start to neigh or bark...
Posts: 13117 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

STILL alive*)*!)!*????????????????????

Hope so*)*!)!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Perhaps Farmdog is out chewing his cud somewhere...

I just can't believe the price difference between the human drugs and the animals drugs. It seems unbelievable. Can we be getting screwed even worse than we thought on cost?

Calling Farmdog - here, boy - c'mon, boy - time to check in!

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we really take a beating in this country ! Big pharma socks it to the USA. It's not that the Vet drugs are any less quality...It's that they get away with jacking up the prices so much.

Just look at the difference in the Bicillin that you can buy in Mexico for about $3 a bottle. It's just as good as the ready made stuff from King Pharma. You don't even have to worry about keeping it cold. But even Big Pharma has been successfull in trying to shut down this avenue. There were so many people that were going down there on a regular basis that the Gov tightened up things tremendously. I understand that you have to have a passport to get back accross the border now. They are also checking the bags a lot more closely and requiring Rx's where they didn't give a hoot before.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Yeah, and look what the government did with the Medicare prescription drug program. All that did was make Canadian drugs about the same price as U.S. drugs to force Medicare patients to buy drugs HERE.

I hate this manipulation.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Hey Farmdog,

Its been 3 days inquiring minds want to know,
Are you OK? Hows it going?

caat
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I treated myself with animal doxy for three years. I tolerated it much better than the generic doxy and I think it was a little stronger than the generic. If it wasn't for that I'd have had severe brain damage by now...

The dose of ivermectin to treat roundworms is somewhere around $300 if I remember right. I bought enough to put a human in a coma maybe three times over for $12. Of course, I had to mix it well and be very very careful about calculating & measuring out the right dose.

Here's to all the brave souls who can't afford decent care!

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliLymer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliLymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Farmdoggy,

Which brand did you use?? The vet injectables are actually not to bad. Especially the ones that are LONG ACTING.

The main limitation is the lack of perscription of the good ones. Anyone know where to get vet meds that require a script w/o a perscription??????

CaliLymer

Posts: 215 | From CA, USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Has anyone heard from this guy since he started
this treatment? Just wondering how it was going and if he is OK.

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This says a lot about big pharma and health care in the US .

I do not blame you one bit for taking this approach ! Twelve thousand dollars for a drug that is given to horses for almost nothing !!!!

No wonder our health insurance is unaffordable. I can not tell you how DISGUSTING this is becoming .

And who really cares ? Our legislators vote themselves raises in the dark of night ,
refuse to exert border control, try to
prohibit a raise in the minimum wage, and do not CARE that health care is BANKRUPTING SO MANY FAMILIES .

I am paying a fortune for insurance that COVERS
NOTHING and am about to join the ranks of the uninsured or the underinsured.

Where is this all going to end ? It is genuinely inhumane .

I applaud you for trying to find a plausible solution to your problem , just like the vet who gave the meds to her daughter.

As I have said before, this is a save yourself disease , that calls for a save yourself protocol .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Marsy, I've been wondering the same thing - what happened to Farmdog?

Jennifer, I agree with everything you said (well, except the minimum wage thing - there will be a big backlash from that and the cost of everything will go up, small businesses will suffer because the "across the board" raise is way to much in some states.)

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Rianna
Member # 11038

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rianna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I buy Benzathine Penicillin from fresenius via South Africa and I only pay $140.00 for 100 vials of 1.2MU - If you want the details let me know. I am told by my LLMD it is an excellent Bicilllin Generic available.

Rianna

Posts: 1172 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bump

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

BUMP!*)*!)!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
-John Ruskin

James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 1 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by caat:
I treated myself with animal doxy for three years.

Meds like Doxy that are intended for the animal market are often the actual product you would get from a pharmacy.

All US pharmaceuticals have identifying codes imprinted on the individual tablets or capsules. If you type that into google you will find out who made it and who (or what) it was intended for.

Posts: 714 | From San Antonio TX | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump For Inquirers

--------------------
ANNXYZ

david1097
Member # 3662

Icon 1 posted      Profile for david1097     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THEY ARE THE SAME. Made in the same plant usng the same equipment.

There is no liability issues for animal meds, nor is ther a big sales and support overhead. For the vet drugs (at least the large animal ones) it is no more than bulk chemical sales.

It is like Methylcabolomine. In bulk form is costs about $100 for a 45 gallon barrel of powder (from china). For human use it is, when compounded something like $30/cc.

Posts: 1184 | From north america | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bump

Hoping Farmdog replies.

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nebula2005
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nebula2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just be sure to check expiration dates if you buy meds from feed stores.

Hoping Farmdog answers.

Posts: 353 | From Florida boonies | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump for More Inquiries

--------------------
ANNXYZ

James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 9 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The fact that we even need to have this discussion is a very SAD commentary on the state of our medical system.
farmdog
Member # 7692

To all, I sincerely apologize for taking so long to report back. I am still alive and kicking!

Herx'd pretty bad after the 2nd shot in a few days - RX was for 2 shots a week. Eventually I just had to take a break. Know what? When I took a few weeks off to let my body rest, I started feeling a heck of a lot better than I have in a long time.

Started shots again, still herxing - but I am still not able to tolerate the RX amount - need to take breaks but am seeing a clear difference when I am off the shots (and thus not herxing).

This stuff works as far as I know by now.

Greatcod
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you need a script from a vet to get the ABX?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farmdog
Member # 7692

No, it can be ordered from veterinary supply catalogs.

I took the insert to my last appt with Dr - she read it, said she didn't see anything much different from "people" bicillin. Of course then she said she couldn't encourage that, but maybe I could call the FDA and ask about whether there are different standards (the vet stuff is FDA approved). Then she wrote me another RX for the people stuff I can't get .. and I'm still taking the vet stuff.

travis
Member # 8405

Icon 1 posted      Profile for travis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard Capt Joyce Riley talk one night several years ago about the first Desert Storm Veterans.

She said that some of them were getting there Doxy from the feed stores.

I would consider doing the same thing. If I researched it and knew what it additional ingredients were in it. You said that you have.
I would like for you to keep us posted.

travis

Posts: 29 | From south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What an interesting thread. I don't know much about this, but had an strange thing happen awhile back.

My dog caught kennel cough when playing with the neighbor's dog. Neighbor felt bad about it, and brought me two pills to give my dog. She had gotten them from another neighbor who worked at a vet's office.

I was hesitant, but they convinced me they would cure my dog of the nasty kennel cough. They assured me the pills were safe, and the same thing the vet would give.

Anyway, I gave my dog the pills, and she was cured in a day and a half. I couldn't believe it.

Would have cost me $100 easily at the vet's office. The pills were bacterial pills for fish tanks!!

Does make you wonder, huh?

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boomerang,

What are bacterial pills for fish tanks?

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Farmdog ,

Which vet supply catalog did you order from?

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Another pharmacy that sells ABX without script ( Australia) is 4 Corners pharmacy . I know folks who have had good luck with their meds
and they are reasonable and prompt .

They sell minocycline and doxycycline and several ABX .

They can be found on the net .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

farmdog
Member # 7692

I got several private emails with questions so I think I will just post info here. Remember folks, I am not a doctor - just trying to get myself over this miserable disease.

Nearly any catalog/online veterinary supply will carry penicillin. You can google to find some of them. Usually 2 kinds - the straight Procaine G and bicillin (bi means two - makes it easier to remember what you need) which is the Procaine G PLUS Pen G Benzathine. I've seen several brands. It comes in a bottle with multiple doses (several sizes). You will also need to get needles and syringes - also available in the catalogs.

I was at Tractor Supply the other day and checked - they have a small fridge near their horse supplies where they keep vaccines, etc. and they had both kinds in there.

I cannot vouch for safety here - using myself as a guniea pig I guess. So far, so good.

Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayda, the fish tank pills are called Fish Flex...it says it is packed by Thomas Labs.

Cephalexin monohydrate...250 mg

The bottle says for control of bacterial infections in fish.

I don't know any more than that.... But it did get rid of kennel cough.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump

--------------------
ANNXYZ

MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a vet who has lyme disease. Now disabled and unable to work, on disability and on medicaid. Medicaid won't cover zithromax (thinks a z-pak is equivalent!) Told the llmd that it would cost $300 a month for zithromax, llmd asked if it was available through ved med supply. Unfortunately it is not available for animals at this time.

What I was surprised at was apparently the patient and doctor have had this discussion about substituting vet meds for human ones before!

Don't know the details if they have done it before, but sounds like they both thought it was OK!

Good luck!
MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear this is the honest truth,,,!! Back in the 80's and early 90's we had a vet that point blank was a no nonsense type guy.

He swore he and his wife hadnt been to a doc for so long they couldnt remember when. They took animal abx off their shelf when the 'need' arose!!!

Back when I raised a certain type of animal you gave them iron shots when first born. They took the iron OFF the market cause it had to be labeled for human use and their package was defective

,,,a plastic vial,,,that leaked on somebodies hand. Couldnt buy it for well over a year till they corrected the package,,,nothing wrong with the iron inside,,,

the package didnt meet specs,,,all because some iron leaked on somebodies hand(((REALLY harmless stuff on your skin))))

I knew a guy who took the pen procaine as shots in his derriere for a long time and improved his lyme condition. AND I respect this guy very much and his decission to do so. ALL based on cost!!!

Have wondered,,,I do have a 'strange' stomach and 'always' needed 3 times abx for like dental infection,,,years before lyme!!

Can a too acidic of stomach or wrong PH of same or a malfunctioning gall bladder,pancreas, etc, cause abx to be ineffective???

All oral abx I took for years and years seemed of ZERO benefit and results. I may as well of gave them to my pet rock for the good they did me!!

LLMD remarked one time,,,how can you tolerate all that flagyl you are able to work up too??? NO one else can take that much,,,and not at least herx!!!

So the shots would bypass the stomach part. Would this be poosible to take IM Biacillin and try that?? Orally I may as well save my breath!!

I am taking massive doses of Amoxi right now trying to clear up a dental area infection,,,took a million,,,NO result!!!

Are SOME people unable to take a pill and make it work as intended?? Is that something metabolism related???

I am following this thread like a hawk,,,I MUST need to see a vet at ONCE!!!being--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Don, did your Dr check for co-infections?
Yeast overgrowth also?

Treating those first can make a world of difference...I was amazed after treating Babs how meds worked differently on me. Or should I say worked?

...and Don, can you remember when there were MORE abx on the shelves of farm supply stores? They've cut back considerably. Scares the bejeebers out of me--all this big brother stuff.

OK, the skinny on the border. I was there just a month ago. They are not requiring passports until January of 2008. Passports
You do need ID, but rarely do they check it.

If you are going there, go in the morning to avoid the masses and the one guy at the desk who's considerably overworked!

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just don
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With them going after our docs and new guidelines I am afeared this will have to be the norm for treatment. Docs arent gonna touch us in a few years and a few more cases.remaining--just don--

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Have you asked your LLMD if there is any difference?
I couldn't possibly afford Bicillin and am now buying them across the border. Not online! But actually going to the foregin pharmacies. Much cheaper and made by a well known pharmaceutical company that makes many medications. I was amazed to see the phamaceutical brand, as I have other meds by them. I asked my doctor, he approved and with a letter from him, explaining and illness and reason you can legally bring them home. I Just got them, haven't had time to start as I need to get syringes etc.. as well.
There is nothing I can find different either in my reasearch online, nothing but good actually. Many US pharmacies are multi national and supply many other countries. Of course anyone considering this, check with you LLMd for approval. We found the only difference was the Bicillin might be slightly weaker, which is fine for me to start on.
Good luck with your vet meds - we do what we have to do to get well. But like I did, I'd have my LLMD take a look at it and see what he notices any differences.
Meg are you taking Bicillin from there as well? How is working out for you?
Take care.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any update info on this?

Thanks

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DakotasMom01
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DakotasMom01     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Up Again.

Has this worked ?? Can you provide any info on how this is done? Please Pm me if any one here knows.
Thank You.

--------------------
Take Care,
DakotasMom01

Posts: 371 | From NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a vet tech I can tell you I have taken Animal meds and have given my meds to my dogs. We buy generic meds (or brand), the same as any pharmacy.

I would not hesitate giving myself Veterinary meds..

I have given plenty of Bicilin to animals too.

I would just say use caution and research things carefully.

Just FYI

Dogs and cats can not take all human meds such as Tylenol, advil, Ibuprofen. These meds can cause death!

Melissa

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went against all "normal" protocol for Bicillin useage (not vet, but another type) and in 7 shots my CD57 shot up more than 80 some points to 140. My LLMD commented with a jump like that I killed more than just Lyme...hmmm. You have to ask yourself, is what we all are "trained" to believe to know as truth, wrong? I found it was in my case, I am glad I did. LLMD's are just Md's who are willing to listen and try, without any real answers in the end, or we'd all be well.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

bump

--------------------
ANNXYZ

daise
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great topic. Up.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James H
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6380

Icon 3 posted      Profile for James H     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since some of you people are daring to venture outside the box, you should consider getting rid of whatever worms and similar parasites you are carrying around.

Does it not strike you as odd that our horses, livestock, and pets are routinely wormed preventatively, but people are never treated or even checked anymore? True, we do not graze in a field, but we get plenty of exposure.

Strongyloides are a particular troublesome one since they reproduce in the host and migrate through our tissues like termites in an old house, carrying intestinal bacteria with them. They are endemic in many warm climate areas.

http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic2189.htm

http://tmcr.usuhs.mil/tmcr/chapter13/intro.htm

(Ivermectin works pretty well.)

How many of your LLMD's have bothered to address this co-infection? It is WAY more common than they or you think. Alot of symptoms will go away when they do, in my experience.

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump for inquirers

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump once more for cash strapped and desperate

I believe the Vet bicillin can be purchased VERY (!) cheaply at feed stores and even Tractor Supply in my area .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I go seeking out acquaintances of mine that are vets, I have a question. Is bicillin used for lyme or con-infections?

My LLND gave me a shot of it the other day and I felt pretty darned good afterward.

I assumed he gave it to me because I was freaked out about a new bite but I didn't even ask since I trust him so much.

Please tell me more about what bicillin is used for before I head to a feed store.

Also, those of you that are getting it in Mexico - I have a good friend that goes there very, very often.

If I ask him to bring it back, what should he be looking for in terms of pharma company etc.

You can pm me if you prefer.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to another topic on veterinary antibiotics:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=064126#000000

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

nanadubo,
check out Pen G Max and ask your pharmacist to compare it with the regular bicillin. Should be close and it is cheap !!! The prescription is
EXTREMELY EXPEN$IVE .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

David95928
Member # 3521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David95928     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For Intramuscular Use Only
Each mL of Pen-G Max� contains 300,000 units of procaine penicillin G and approximately: 0.8% sodium citrate; 0.15% sodium carboxymethylcellulose; 25% sorbitol solution U.S.P.; 0.06% povidone; 0.6% lecithin; 0.1% methylparaben; 0.01% propylparaben; 0.25% phenol

Note that, according to this description, Pen G Max contains NO Penicillin G Benzathine which is the ONLY active ingredient in Bicillin LA. It is NOT the same thing and probably less effective. You certainly can't compare dosages, at least not easily.

[ 21. June 2008, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: David95928 ]

--------------------
Dave

Posts: 2034 | From CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Bump Again

Some desperate here have made progress with vet bicillin

--------------------
ANNXYZ

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pen G Max:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/amtech-pen-g-max.html

Bicillin:

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/bicillinla.htm

Note that you can't get Benzathine Penicillin (as in Bicillin) without formaldahyde. I wouldn't take formaldahyde as it can make you go blind at inconclusive doses.

Pen G Max is a non-Bensathine non-formaldahyde product. Benzathine is what makes penicillin stay in the system for up to a week. The reason it is used for lyme is because it was used successfully for Syphilis, because people could walk into a clinic for one injection, and go home without repeat visits.

It is the Penicillin, not the Benzathine that kills lyme bacteria.

Pen G Max has procaine penicillin, which would need to be injected every two days, instead of up to every seven.

If you choose to self-treat, read the labels on both, and do the math carefully. If you can't figure it out, obviously, then don't play.

Remember that elevated liver enzymes can kill you, so even if self-treating, make sure to find a doctor who will run blood tests.

Just a reminder that using vet meds on people without a prescription is illegal, and nobody here including me is recommending, advising, or suggesting that anybody should do it.

But we all live our own lives, and make our own hopefully well-educated choices.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement