LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Buhner and Cowden Protocol combined -- any input?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Buhner and Cowden Protocol combined -- any input?
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After 21 months of multiple kinds of abx, I think I may be ready for a new stage. The abx have helped me a lot, and, I think caused a lot of other problems.

I have extracted the core of the Buhner and Cowden protocols, which I think (hope) I can manage. Here's the proposed protocol for the next 6-12 months, what does anyone think?

Andrographis paniculata 1600 mg 3-4 x daily
(Resveratrol) 1-4 tablets 3-4 x daily
Uno de Gato (Cat's Claw) 5 drops 1 x daily
Astragalus Not indicated in late stage lyme 0
Cumanda 10 drops 3 x daily
Chlorella A handful 15 min before meal
Milk Thistle

Non herbal:

Diflucan 200 mg 1 x day for 2-3 months

Lots of water, at least 2 litres a day
Organic vegetarian diet
Selenium, 600 mcg day
Vitamin C - a lot
As little sugar as possible

Consider Dr. Zhang's protocol after book comes

Many of Buhner's herbs are crossover with aryuvedic and chinese herbs. I want to read and cross reference Zhang's herbs and Buhner's.

Cowden seems to like the two Peruvian herbs, Uno de Gato and Cumanda.

I started this journey exactly 24 months ago, when diagnosed, with Uno de Gato only, for 3 months. It did nothing I could feel.

Of course I've added daily yoga, bike rides and meditation to my interventions. Don't know if those would qualify as "medical" but they sure are good for mind and body. I'm just amazed I can do them at all!

Oh yeah, I have done bee stings and ozone for four months. Are they responsible for the turn-around? Who knows. But they did correlate with the improvement. Of course, that is after 17 months of abx.

I welcome your comments.

[ 05. April 2007, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: JeffM ]

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An interesting combo. I would probably add in Sarsaparilla myself.

Most importantly, if you have not done these herbs yet -- START SLOW -- especially with the andrographis.

Hubby has not tried the Cumanda. Took regular Cat's Claw instead of the Samento drops. Can't remember if he tried Diflucan -- know he couldn't tolerate Nizoral.

Suggest you get the April issue of the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. It can be ordered by phone for $8.00 (postage included). There is an article on the Cowden protocol which includes some other different herbs.

http://www.townsendletter.com

Another thing missing is something for hypercoagulation -- Wobenzyme, bromelain, Nattokinase, Lumbrokinase, etc.

Good luck and be sure and report back on how you are doing.

As a minimum I would also suggest a good multivitamin/multimineral.

Am also curious as to whether you have been diagnosed or treated for coinfections?

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Bea! Good guidance.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Getting Better   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Bea.

Got the Townsend Newsletter from my doc, which is why I am combining the protocols. I may be doing more of his exact protocol after speaking with doc.

However, I will tell you the truth. Cowden's protocol is complicated. It's too complicated for me. There is a core to it which I am following.

Yes I was treated for the coinfections. The mepron worked, I think, and was a GI killer for me. However, I never had Bart symptoms as far as I can tell.

Right now I am trying to find Klinghardt's cyst buster.

I also quite frankly do not know why people don't do more bee sting therapy. I think it had incredible effects. I think it is a very powerful medicine for lyme.

--------------------
Jeff

Posts: 533 | From CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

OK, here's the link:

http://www.neuraltherapy.com/a_lime_disease.asp

I see why you say wobenzyme. I will have to figure out where to get it.

I don't do the bee venom, but the first, real bee sting. My doc feels it has many more therapeutic agents than just the venom.

--------------------
Jeff

Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jeff,

I'm making a quick visit to the boards... too busy to stay long ... but I admire your willingness to give this a try.

But you might find it useful to hear that I have really been helped with the Vitalzym for dealing with the hypercoagulation issues. Also, since it has the serrapeptase that seems to help with inflammation/pain quite a bit.

I buy it in the 450 capsule bottle from iherb.com and take 5 on an empty stomach twice a day. I tried going off it to see if it really made a difference and I was miserable until I added it back in.

I sure wish I had time to comment more on your plans. I think you are heading in a good direction.

Just listen to those with more experience and go really SLOW adding herbs. Otherwise you won't be able to sort out what is happening enough to plot your course. (My experience.)

Peace to your house.

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbuckley
Member # 11468

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbuckley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not tried any herbal courses yet, but I guess my biggest question would be do they cross the BBB? Most of my sympotms are nero, and I know there are only a handful of drugs that can cross the BBB, has anyone reads anywhere if they do or not?
Posts: 27 | From Las Vegas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Selenium, 600 mg 3 x day"

Are you sure???? You might want to read up on selenium.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JB,

Two thoughts:

1. Some Israeli research shows that high stress (like fighting on the front lines of a war) opens up the BBB so things that normally don't cross it begin to cross it.

2. There are herbs seem to be specific for bringing healing to the brain. Stephania Root is recommended by Buhner for neuro symptoms in lyme.

You might want to head to your local bookstore and browse through some herbal books, or search online.

--------------------

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Your program looks to me like a prescription for a death-dealing herx! Please take it slow and add in one herb at a time. [Eek!]

We are all different though. Cat's Claw in large doses had no effect on me. However, I herxed unbearably on even small doses of Samento for over 3 years, and though I did the Cowden Protocol for over six months and did not find it too complicated, I could never get my Samento dose near to what it required, due to the herxing.

Cumanda also packs a powerful, delayed herx. You think you are handling it OK, so you up the dose, and on the third day, wham, it knocks you flat.

Andrographis stimulated my TH2 immunity too much and dramatically raised my problems with MCS. I hope it does not have that effect on you. If you don't have MCS and are not "allergic to everything", it may not trouble you like it did me.

I did the full Zhang Protocol for six months. All it did was make me stink of garlic. My husband could not stand my smell, and I had to explain to everyone why I smelled so bad. It took another six months before I could stand to cook with garlic again. It was also very expensive.

As for bee sting therapy....I am saving that for the day when all of this misery gets to be too much for me. I can just go out in my garden, where there are lots of bees, and end it all with just one sting. I am very allergic! [Wink]

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From MY experience, I find the following herbs crucial in healing Lyme.

They are listed in order of most important to take FIRST. Then add in the others.

Sarsaparilla, Milk Thistle, Red Root Tincture, Cat's Claw, (whole), Devil's Claw, Resveratrol, Andrographis, Stephania Root, Periwinkle, and Nettle.

And IF you are taking LOTS of vitamin C, be sure to use something like C-Salts from nutri.com.

Others can be added in later, IF you feel you need them.

Start slow. And IF you do them in the order above, you should NOT have any problems with any big herxes.

Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JB,

I really focused on the Blood Brain Barrier
herbs because of all my brain lesions (MRI hyperintensities). Grapefruit Seed Extract, Samento and Garlic ( Dr K protocol for Garlic) works well for me.

It seems that some people do not have to worry as much about the BBB.
some of the Cowden and Buhner abx herbs work well for me

I use the Chlorella Cilantro with meals - helped me immensely with the toxins. I have seen
some of Gigi's post on this - an excellent resource.

I also use Niacin, Sarsasparilla
Using a heat source- spa or sauna with exercise helps- but hard to keep up with
Keep on reading to get the right cocktail

Are you able to treat your co- infections first?

get well

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

4 days on this protocol fully and I feel nothing. No herx. I think my GI tract is healing after the onslaught of abx and mepron.

I do feel a little lightheaded as I make the transition.

Hmmmmm. No herx. Good thing or bad thing? I am taking it as a good thing.

--------------------
Jeff

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff,

I felt no herx on the Buhner herbs either, but yet I"m steadily getting better (virtually symptom-free actually now with no antibiotics).

I eventually experienced three mild herxes when starting 'add-on' herbs- boneset, stephania, and teasel all produced some mild symptoms in me for a couple of days- but the core protocol never has.

I had previously treated with doxycyclene before I first tried the Buhner herbs, though- and, like me, you've already beaten this bug down with a long course of other drugs, including the spirochete-specific ingredients in bee venom, so I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't experience an extreme herx. (I also didn't feel any noticable herx while on antibiotics, but I was on chlorella, bentonite clay, Welchol, and several other binding agents at the same time which may explain why it was a painless process)

Everyone's different.

My protocol looks a bit like yours including lots of chlorella and detoxification stuff. I think that probably helps with the side effects of bacteria die-offs or other herx-like effects.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

I am feeling irritable. It's a physical feeling more than a psychological feeling. I wonder if some or one of these herbs causes irritability?

My family better watch out. Or vice versa. I'm not really fit to be around human beings this afternoon.

--------------------
Jeff

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experience something that I call a 'honeymoon effect' when I first start new strong herbs or drugs that I haven't taken before- where I initially tend to be more energetic and it then levels out after a couple of days. When I re-started the Buhner core protocol and a lot of eleuthero this winter after having been really sick with a Lyme relapse, I was kinda 'high' (like too much caffeine) for a couple of days- that sounds a bit like waht you're describing.

But, this is pure speculation on my part.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Getting Better
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8919

Thank you for all your comments.

In the last week I have been MUCH worse. Mostly tired and achey, with joint pain returning, and sickly in the mornings.

I found this 100-day protocol on the web, made by a company (won't name it) that had the core Buhner / Cowden protocol so I got that. It's been since then that I have felt worse (= herx).

So I'm gonna take your advice and back off, and then add one thing at a time.

Does it make any sense that I think it is the cumanda that is causing most of the herx?

Anyway, I think I'll stop everything for two weeks, except the diflucan and samento, and see what happens.

It's discouraging to lose ground, e.g., functioning and to feel that this means the bugs are still there, and there is quite a long way to go.

My LLMD says I am in the "clean up" phase, but I wonder . . . . I wonder whether the rocephin just caused a lot of cyst form, and now they are coming out. Yuk.

I know I am preaching to the choir, lol, but man, this disease causes a lot of suffering.

--------------------
Jeff

JimBoB
Unregistered

Yes, there IS a lot of suffering with Lyme. I have had if since 1999, and it certainly is not over yet.

I do feel much better though, since I went to herbs only, back in February of 2006.

I have "good" days, and "bad" days and days in between.

Nothing that I could call herxing though.

Jim [Cool]

lunagirl
Member # 10062

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lunagirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this will be helpful at all, but Buhner has just answered the question of someone on the Cowden Protocol on his Healing Lyme column on Planet Thrive. It's not really a general response though and is more specific to the person's particular symptoms...

--------------------
www.PlanetThrive.com

Posts: 27 | From New York | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Jeff,

Sorry you are experiencing an increase in symptoms. I feel like I'm on that same roller coaster right now.

I'm off all the antimicrobials right now until I do some testing later this week and I can really tell. No fun.

When I was on the nutramedix extracts I really liked how the Quina was working for me. And all the detox, adrenal support, calming extracts were fine.

However, the Samento stressed me (hives) too much back when my adrenal function was way down. The Cumanda definitely worked but felt too harsh for where I was at back then. But I believe that once I can strengthen the endocrine system more, I will rotate them back in again.

I have actually used my 'high octane' Stephania Root tincture for the past week (at low dose) and feel really good (not from the alcohol!) about using it. I am not using any of the other 'core' herbals right now, but lots of supportive supplements.

But, just when I was thinking I was doing Ok yesterday, I overdid it (4 hours) in the sun doing very light yard work (mostly on knees pulling weeds, slowly) and it didn't go well for me. Headache, scratchy eyes, pain, etc.) I'm even feeling stressed and depressed today which hasn't been around for a while. Very frustrating.

Anyway, for a thought on your plan. You might want to back off the Samento too. Bring down the dose on the antimicrobials and focus on the detoxing, support supplements until you feel a little stronger.

Peace and Hope to you.

--------------------

RuthRuth

lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you seen Buhner's article on bee venom?

http://www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm#Apis_and_Bi-edta_

It is great.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried the andrographis and felt it was an EFFECTIVE antibacterial , BUT, it caused problems for me . I had nasty insomnia, anxiety , and some depression ( even on zoloft ) . It also caused me to be literally unable to taste anything .

I am the exception, as most people tolerate it well, but it did have a bad effect on brain chemistry in my case .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cumanda can definitely increase anxiety and depression. I've been on it 7 weeks, and I can only take 8 drops twice daily. I've had to go very slow.

I can't tell you if it's working yet because I'm always herxing some time of the day.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Julz
Unregistered

How / where do you get the bee venom?? It looks very interesting. I mainly have neuro problems...does it break the BBB???
JimBoB
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Julz:
How / where do you get the bee venom?? It looks very interesting. I mainly have neuro problems...does it break the BBB???

I find that Devil's Claw, Periwinkle and Stephania Root break the brain barrier.

Jim [Cool]

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget Allimax, Teasel, and a mushroom formula. They are irreplaceable, in my list. I couldn't progress without those three. They seem to be fairly harmless.
Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Calling all TC"s!! Calling all TC's!!! Need your help. Am jumping ship and going to new LLMD Well, really a new pactioner that treated me for 2 years.

Will try o finally have a biopsy of the rash and go from there. I break out everymonth on Tindamsx

Surely there are missing something. I tried to call you're home munber.

Pleae al e at 334-614-0753.

Thanks, aklnwlf

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6145 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement