LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » DOXY...yakkkkk

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DOXY...yakkkkk
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i havn't been to a llmd dr, yet, but my regular dr have me on doxy, 100mg twice a day,

is anyonee taking this drug, how does it effect you....this drug has me feeling like crap of doo doo...

i want to be off this drug, but i have 13 more long days to go, im nauses, weak,

and im bing to shake like a leaf, my head feel full, i dont like how this doxy has me feeling.

--------------------
IgM: Neg Neg 34IND 39IND
41+ 83-93IND

IgG: Neg Neg 41+

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

GOD GIVE IT, AND GOD CAN TAKE IT AWAY

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So far so good. I think I'm liking it actually. taking on empty stomach too, no issues.

Hope you feel better

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymemila
Member # 23433

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymemila     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am taking the extended release version ....its very expensive $1000.00 for a 30 day supply without insurance...but so far very effective on me...
Posts: 27 | From delaware | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane S
Member # 22586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxi was very hard for me, I took for 4 weeks and never felt good. Felt exactly like you weak, tired, dull feeling like I wasn't myself.

Each abx after than was a little better, I'm on 4th abx now Flagyl and doind pretty good on it. Not feeling at all like in the beginning 6 months ago...

Good Luck with LLMD appt

Posts: 44 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be that you are herxing. Be sure to take it with food or you will have no stomach left at the end of treatment. ( or before )

no dairy with it

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking Doxy right now too.

As long as I take it with enough food, I'm fine, but if I don't take it with food, I get horrific stomach pain and nausea.

I have never herxed on Doxy, although I have had similar symptoms as you on Amoxyl.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a possible herx. I have to take it with food and doc told me to always take with food.

I seem to feel much worse on it every 3 to 4 weeks. I guess its a herx!

Its been the only antibiotic for me out of about 4 or 5 that has shown some hope.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking doxy too and think its doing something. Felt like "total" poo a couple days ago but the last couple days I feel like "partial" poo.

I was off abx for 3 weeks before hitting it with doxy so maybe I'm keeping the bugs guessing as doxy is a new abx for my bugs.

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure you eat it with food, and dont lie down for 3 hours after or it causes nausea and heartburn. Also, you probably need to be on 300-600 mg of Doxy, not 200 mg.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for street129     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i still feel like crap!!!!!!! i hate doxyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i have 4 long days to go on this crap, i also read that when you see a llmd for the first time,

you shouldnt be on antibiotics, I have to confirm this on monday, i'll place a call.

--------------------
41+ 83-93IND

cfs, hhv6, mycobacterium, hsv1, cmv, pirovirus, and Epstein Barr virus.... digestive system

Posts: 655 | From new york | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Street,

While no treatment is easy and, in fact, treatment generally is VERY rough but much easier to go through it and out the other side. Untreated lyme would be a dead-end. But it seems you are not even sure if you have lyme so it's very confusing to me.

It seems that you do not yet have a LLMD guiding your treatment.

Still - somehow you seem to be on a modified treatment but not sure and with no LLMD -- so, treatment can be easier with the right self-care, supplements, etc. A gluten-free diet is also very helpful.

Liver support is essential.

To help with all that, see the SIngleton book and Burrascano's self-care and supplement list over here:

I've just posted many links answering some of your questions over at another thread of yours. Be sure to see these:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/88994

Topic: quick question
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

You have to take these drugs to get well. Your dose is low. Doxy is usually 400-600 mg er day, usually the minimum is 300 mg per day.

You are going to have to learn that these meds are what will get you well, and not bite the hand that feeds you.

street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

Wildcondor, i guess you dont know i havent seen a llmd as yet, well i havenot.

My regular PCP dr. saw the one reactive band of lyme, 41kd and decided to pacified my sad look on my face and gave me 1 month of doxy, 2 time a day 100mg, she dont know what she was doing, cause if she did, like you said, i would have been on a higher dose,

i dont understand YOUR Points. arrrrrrr

--------------------
41+ 83-93IND

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your doctor prescribed Doxy 100 mg, twice per day.
That's 200 mg daily, in divided doses.

Lyme Literate MD's prescribe 200 mg, twice per day.
That's 400 mg daily, in divided doses.

The doctors who are not Lyme literate usually prescribe a level of antibiotics that is too low, as compared to what the ILADS doctors prescribe.

ILADS = International Lyme and Associated Diseases Society

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When i first got treated i was on 4500.mg of doxy a day needless to say i kept my head in the porceline thrown every day.More so when i failed to eat before taking it. Make sure you eat enough before taking them to.
Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

whenever i wake up, i take it WITHOUT eating, its on the bed next to me.

is that the reason im still feeling awful daily?

i have never take the first one with food, i thought all this time you were suppose to take it on an empty stomach.

why do you have to take it with food. is it eating away my lineing, or something. any thoughts.

i usually take the second one with food.

--------------------
41+ 83-93IND

WildCondor
Unregistered

Yes I understand that you have not seen a LLMD yet, that is why we are trying to help explain to you that when you DO see a LLMD your doxy dose (if you stay on Doxy) will likely be doubled so you should be prepared and not have an attitude of complaining about medicine and antibiotics because that is why you pay $$ to go see a LLMD. So be prepared. Read the Lyme Disease Treatment Guidelines thoroughly..and then ask questions if you don't understand something.

You have to take Doxy with food to protect your stomach. Eat a full meal, take your doxy, then eat more and drink water and do not lie down for 3 hours afterward or you will get nausea and reflux. Do not drink dairy....and stay totally out of the sun.

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This board has LOTS of questions lately. [Smile]
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
What is your liver support right now? Milk Thistle?

and . . . Yes, indeed, it is important to take Doxycycline WITH FOOD, but not milk or other dairy as WC explained. Dairy products will negate the effective of doxy.

A thick lentil soup with carrots and steamed kale is a good choice. A little brown rice or wild rice can go along with that. This is actually a good breakfast choice, or for any meal.

And, yes, as unfortunate as it is, lyme treatment is a long and grueling experience. "Feeling better" comes only after much time. And that is why liver support is so essential, too. But, if lyme is present, treatment can be a life-saver. That is what you need to keep your focus on: a strong and healthy future.

You need an expert doctor to guide you. As it is, we have to read so much and learn so much - lyme is so complex and it would take us years to get up to speed. And, even then, we are never our own best doctors.

An excellent LLMD who has treated hundreds or thousands of patients will know where to start. You are lucky to live in a state where there are many. Many states have not even one LLMD.

Good luck.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
street129
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23472

keebler thanks, i take Milk Thistle.

i have a couple more doxy left, i will definatly start taking them with food.

not that i take anything with dairy, but keebler, can i take dairy at no time while on doxy.

--------------------
41+ 83-93IND

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
You can search the pharmaceutical's website or call your pharmacist for the answer. I don't know how long the calcium in a glass of milk or piece of cheese would interfere with absorption of the medicine from your stomach.

But, generally, dairy products produce more phlegm in our throats, sinuses and ears - and stomach. Germs love phlegm. Cutting out anything that contributes to phlegm can help us heal better.

The author of the book "Don't Drink Your Milk" says that diary products "gum up" the immune system. If interested, you can find that book at Amazon.
-

aiden424
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7633

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aiden424     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first started treatment for lyme I started with 200mg Doxy a day too. It knocked me on my butt!! After two weeks of hell I switched to something else.

A year later I tried Doxy again, and that time it wasn't as bad. I must of got the bacterial load down some.

I wouldn't increase your dosage if your still really sick. I found that going slow and working up to a higher dose worked better for me.

We're all different, and you'll have to figure out what works for you.

Make sure you eat something with it!!

--------------------
You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.

Posts: 807 | From South Dakota | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement