LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » L-form/intercellular questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: L-form/intercellular questions
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am wondering if the L-form of Lyme bacteria is a result of antibiotics...as the cyst form is or if it is just another life form of Lyme that will live inside a cell and keep you ill forever more.

From my understanding, Lyme bacteria prefers to live in spirochete form and in this form can be killed by penicillins or cephalosporins.

Cysts are formed when the spirochetes sense the antibiotics and encapsulate themselves until they sense your blood is clean again or they get killed by Flagyl or Tinidazole.

I know the L-form is targeted by Doxy, Macrolides, or Ketek but is it a survival form? When you are clean of antibiotics, will it revert into a spirochete, just like a cyst.

Reason being, the cycling of high dose Ceftin or the like makes perfect sense, if the L-form will also be drawn out when you take time off antibiotics. I'm planning my future.

Thanks to anyone who can enlighten me.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Miller
Member # 21583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for David Miller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's a lack of agreement on whether the L-form and cyst forms are really different. I'm not sure that most abx will kill the L-form - they bind to some particular protein and keep it from reproducing. Bacteriacidal abx like penicillin may have better luck with it than the bacteriostatics.

The cyst form in particular is formed as a survival mechanism as you say, but it'll do so under nutrient deprivation as well as abx attack.

Posts: 98 | From Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In her book, Stealth Pathogens, Lida Mattman seems to use L form & cyst form interchangably as the form assume by BB in a hostile environment.

The ability to change form is seen as an evolutionary adaptation to enhance survival in a hostile environment.

The hostile enviroment can be created by abx such as penecillin or cephalosporins (such as ceftin) which target the cell form by interfereing with celluar formation.

W/o expressly mentioning LD, Mattman seems to suggest treating these microrganisms that can change form with a cell wall abx (penecillin or ceftin) and an abx that can target the L form, such as doxy.

Posts: 213 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My understanding was that L-form occurs before cystic form, but I have also heard that doctor's now aren't sure if they are really different.

A few years back at a conference Biaxin was mentioned for L-form. Some doctor's believe that Biaxin may also prevent cystic form.

But nothing is written in stone obviously since so much more needs to be known about the disease.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmm. Thanks for the replies. I also had this discussion with an LLMD who believes it is a survival form...similar to a cyst.

It sounds like it would be logical that an L-form left untreated with antibiotics would indeed take the form of a spirochete.

I am starting to understand more why the Pamela Weintraub and Burrascanno cure worked. I have contacted a couple people that have tried it but have only used 2000mg Ceftin daily. I would guess the success stories were using 3000mg or more.

Posts: 410 | From Victoria BC, Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an interesting link:

http://bacteriality.com/2007/08/15/l-forms/

Scroll down to the heading Infection With L-form Bacteria

It's about the L-form invading macrophage white blood cells and taking over their nucleus to turn on genes that cause release of inflammatory cytokines, proteins that generate pain and/or fatigue. The cytokines include interferon gamma and TNF-alpha.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

Good article. Kind of a mindbender, being a layman, but informative.
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
migs,

I'm like you... I've changed up my entire protocol with the idea of enticing them to come out and then killing for month or so.

Then take a break let some come out... then kill for month or 2.

Dr. B did this and recommends it as a cleanup-maintenance type protocol.

I think Ceftin is the drug of choice.

I might combine it with Doxy. Not sure yet.

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
migs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16496

canefan17 - I also spoke with an LLMD in Seattle who is currently trying this with some of his patients.

It's new territory for him but he is planning on 6 weeks cycles of high dose abx targeting all 3 forms...followed by waiting to become fully symptomatic and doing it again...and repeat process.

I'd like to hear how it works for you and what your doses are. I imagine they need to be high for this kind of wave attack.

I see this LLMD in March, so if I remember, I'll get back as to how it's going for his patients.

canefan17
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have, in my arsenal

Doxy
Plaquenil
Ceftin
Flagyl
Malarone
Zith

My main protocol will be
Ceftin 1000mg, Doxy 400mg, Flagyl 500mg-1000mg

Treat for 4-6 weeks. Take 1-2 weeks off
Repeat a couple times

Switch Abx's

[ 02-04-2010, 12:01 AM: Message edited by: canefan17 ]

Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am pulsing in metronidazole low dose (500 mg/day) alternating with higher dose of same to avoid cyst forms and encourage spiral forms and then wacking those with Zithro (500-750mg/day) 5 on and 3-4 days off. So far seems promising.
Only finishing first course though. Is more
interesting than the 4.5 months on doxycycline
which though helpful made for bad tummy aches.

Beachinit.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

beachnit,

Why the 3-4 days off with Zith? Just curious?

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cane fan. I'm also taking Doxy with Falgyl (pulsing). I thought that Dr. B says that Doxy will inhibit the action of the Flagyl. Any thoughts.

I'm doing it anyway as people have said it is effective. I have RMSF and Ehrlichia so that is why I'm on the IV Doxy. I need to add Flagyl some day as I want to hit the cysts.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Member # 22149

I just take them apart from each other (doxy and flagyl)

*shrugs shoulders*

What does Dr. S say?

Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think you are supposed to pulse Mepron or malarone, it supposidly leads to drug resistance in Babesea.

I tried pulsing, and it didn't work for me, I declined. My LLMD doesn't think it is a good idea to pulse drugs for co-infections and/or if your con-infections aren;t under control.

But maybe it will work for you!

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JOLA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23498

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JOLA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Migs
I too see LLMD in Seattle. Dr R. Just finishing

off 6month of mepron and switched to flagyl/mino

but couldn't take the flagyl. Will see him in

March as well and will discuss this protocol with

him. Have tried many combos and think biaxin/

ceftin worked best for me so far.

Posts: 146 | From Vancouver, BC | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beachinit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canefan,
Want to give microbes a false sense of security
and also have zithro hanging around in the tissue much longer. Tissue level is much,much
much greater than serum level with zithro
so it hangs around for a long time. I can avoid
wasting medicine and lull the borrelia into false sense of security at the same time . . .
then wham, hit it again, hopefully each time
gaining more help from those T-cells gradually
waking them up to those everchanging Treponemal
antigens. Staying on metro at all times - to
avoid cyst hideout niche and just lower dose
when off Zithro due to worse nerve tingling
sx at 1 gm/day dose if I take it every day.

Power to the patient,

Beachinit.

Posts: 448 | From Downeast Maine | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Jola,

I started on metronidazole (flagyl) by breaking
the 250 mg tabs in half. I took 1/2 tab X 1 on day 1, X2 on day 2, x3 on day three etc. It is
a nasty med but it does Rock. See The Brorsons
research in Norway in vitro. Anyway it took me 4-5 days to finally get up to 1 gm/day and then
I started the Zithro. Approach would most likely
work with tetracyclines like mino. Both mino and
zithro are working to stop protein synthesis
at different ribosomal subunits though.

Better living thru science,

Beachinit.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find this fascinating. How do you suppose we could get the results? CD57? I light of the fact

most of us try to work with what works for us- could we come up with a test to determine kill?

Say urine or bowel excretion of toxins from kill? I think they like to withhold medicine from us

because of this- If we had proof it was producing a kill they could not stop it-by saying 4 weeks is enough. Idealistically.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Some are taking cell wall inhibitor like ceftin or Amoxicillin plus protein systhesis inhibitor like tetra/doxy/mino plus cyst preventer like
metronidazole. Some are taking all three at the same time. So I am wondering if anyone can comment on alterating 2 types of antibiotics in close succession versus taking all 3 together at same time. Which has worked better?

Searching for knowledge,

Beachinit.

canefan17
Member # 22149

beachnit,

I have taken

doxy
plaquenil
flagyl
ceftin

All at same time. Worked great for me.

I feel like a put a dent in Lyme.
Now it's on to babesia.

Beachinit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21040

Thank you canefan17
for the info.
Did you feel the plaquenil
added a good share to your
response?

Beachinit.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement