LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 11)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  57  58  59   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good posts!
Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Monti,

It's a funny thing, trying to rate how I feel now compared to where I started. I guess if I had to rate it, I think I started out around 40% and now I'm at 70%, but it's definitely hard to put a number on this!

The changes and improvements are so gradual, almost imperceptible on a day-to-day basis that I often don't realize how far I've come, and I get frustrated that I'm not making quick enough progress, especially as new and different issues pop up constantly (peeling those onion layers!)bMy general trajectory is up, though.

When I started with mHBOT I had already been down the road of antibiotics for 2.5yrs, and had just finished 80+dives regular HBOT (which gave me the most rapid improvements in pain!) so mHBOT has been an extension/continuation of my treatment path. It is the only thing I do now (no more killing drugs anymore, I honestly don't feel like I need them).

I have been infected for 24 years (I'm 28 now) so I don't expect to heal overnight. And this is actually where it becomes hard to rate my % of health because honestly I don't know what it feels to be functioning at 100%.

Peimomma I actually have the same feelings as you do about being in limbo, getting better but not exactly healthy like a normal person. Strange place to be..

Jumping into my chamber daily is as automatic as brushing my teeth to me now. I am 100% dedicated to continuing with this all my life.

Monti you asked about me being back to school. Yes, mHBOT made and continues to make that possible. I had horrible brain fog and inability to concentrate on anything. I could not make sense of or retain any information. Honestly putting together my mHBOT chamber was so complicated to me that I almost cried while setting it up! The instructions made zero sense to my scrambled brain.

Two years ago I couldn't fathom returning to school, but here I am, learning new things again (haha!) and I just turned in my final project a couple hours ago [Smile]

As you can see by my elegant and coherent writing style (*SARCASM HERE!!) I have a long way to go before I consider my brain healed.

Phoiph, how do you feel about this venture into a salicylate-free lifestyle I am about to try out? I know that conventional wisdom warns against animal-only diets, but then again Lyme isn't a particularly conventional illness. Something is just not right with my diet at the moment and I feel like I need to get to the bottom of it.

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spinning122

Thank you for your reply. 40% to 70% makes a lot of sense to me. I like using percentages when describing how I feel.

Wow I can't imagine not knowing how it feels to be Lyme free. To be sick since 4 years of age is crazy.

I know exactly what you mean about feeling like you wanted to cry when trying to set up the mhbot. Many times I can't formulate a thought. I am looking forward to that getting better.

The fact that you now can go to school is a big indicator of improvement! Glad this is working for you and that you no longer take bad meds. Sorry for all your years of illness.

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Monti- i've been using the chamber for about 10 months now; at times I feel that I have improved , other times I feel I should be much further along. I am still taking some Cowden products, which may be contributing to my fatigue and weakness. I plan to stop those soon and then I can better assess my level of improvement. I do notice some cognitive improvements which for me is the most important. God take my body just don't take my mind.

I can relate to the conversation about not feeling normal when I'm with healthy people. Sometimes I think I'm getting better , then I sit in a meeting and I realize how much slower I am than everyone else I try not to get down about it .

Phoiph - I bought the GAPS diet, I hope to try this out. I really don't have the energy to cook , but will try to make a big batch at a time. I am even going to eat liver, which in the past has made me hurl. I'm committed to getting well, so I will even eat liver 💪

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Hi Haley,

I am currently doing Zhang protocol as I begin the mhbot process. I did cowden for a solid year but all it did for me is hold my health in place. I think Zhang is doing about the same. Hoping mhbot is the ticket.

So you have improved some but it's minor?

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Haley,

10 months at full 1 hour dives?

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Monti - 1 hour a day (the Phoiph protocol [Smile] ). Yes I would say minor results, but there are days that I feel the results are more significant than I realize... For example - I had live blood analysis on Friday. I decided to tape the conversation with the practitioner because he talked a lot. I listened to the 45 minute recording and realized that I AM better. I usually would have a very difficult time conversing, comprehending, but the conversation flowed and I did not feel completely drugged or floating as I usually did in the past. Also, I'm reading some difficult books which I seem to take in, I may not remember everything, but it seems the synapses are firing to some degree!

Do you have a good concentrator for supplemental oxygen? It may be my imagination, but I feel that I get more results when I take in lots of supplemental oxygen. I close up all the holes in my mask and I breathe in deeply for one hour while I'm in the chamber . I believe this gets the the oxygen deep into my brain.

[ 06-20-2015, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Haley ]

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haley...

Please don't close the holes in your mask...they allow the C02 you're exhaling to get out so you don't rebreathe it!

Posts: 1883 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Haley,

Ok well it sounds like slow but steady improvements so that really is a good thing. It would be nice if your gains were more noticeable being a year into this but it is working so keep it up [Smile]

Thanks

mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys! Some great updates. Congrats to users that are making great strides quickly and for those of you on the long and slow journey like me, keep going and dont give up!

I am up to about 450 hrs of hbot. I am definitely improving via a very long, slow, up/down process up the trajectory is up! In Sept it will be 2 years for me.

I have had improvements in migraines, head burning, joint and muscle pain, tremors, fatigue and more. I can still experience my major symptoms although they are less painful and dont last as long.

When I started HBOT I said I wanted to improve to the point where I could "live a little old lady life." I wanted to be able to work a little, be able to run one errand a day, see some friends fora quiet get together, etc. I am happy to say I have surpassed that goal! I am working full-time (probably shouldn't be but thats my own stuff and I mostly work from home), can run multiple errands on the weekends and I am riding my horse consistently.

I know exactly how you all feel about feeling better but not 100% even though you look normal. Its a strange place to be and one I've been in for 6 years- I have been one of those lyme patients that never looked that bad despite the catastrophe going on inside my body.

I also know how it feels to be scared and doubt this treatment because my improvements have been so slow, but I figure my body has a lot of healing to do and its doing its best. I am sure I have also slowed my progress by continuing to work with some mandatory travel about once per month.

I have a lot to say about the GAPs diet (been very helpful for me and husband who also has lyme) and will post that later. I was on abx for 4 years- my gut was a mess. GAPS and hbot are helping to fix that.

Keep going divers....low and slow....

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 12 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mbdq,

Have you been doing any other types of treatments during this 2 year hbot period? And are you doing hbot or mhbot?

As long as this moved me in a forward direction no matter how slow I will do this. 2 years a long time but to be able to work and travel and live better then a little old lady sounds amazing!

Does your husband use it? Any gains for him? Has he achieved "little old man" health level yet? [sleepy]

mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mbdq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on abx with hbot for the first few months. Also went back on abx for one month last summer. No abx at this time. Some low level supportive herbs via LLMD on and off- garlic, turmeric, artemisia, etc.

I do mHBOT (phoiph method ☺). I used to do 1 hr per day but in the past two months, I have slowly worked up to 80 minutes per day. I did this because of the time I miss in the chamber from work travel. My goal is to get to, but not beyond 30, hours each month.

My husband is markedly better. He was struggling with his Lyme treatment and LLMD said next step was IV. He did mHBOT and GAPS diet with me and he is much better! He doesn't even use the chamber anymore, works out daily, lost 30 lbs, works 70+ hrs/week in his own business and is maintaining with acupressure massage and acupuncture. He flares from the acupuncture and mhbot will still flare him a little too but he doesn't feel that he needs the chamber now.

Posts: 233 | From Hudson Valley | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

I like hearing this stuff!!
Thank you

mbdq
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 26277

Some more thoughts-

In our household, I have seen mHBOT help very quickly (my husband did about 30 hrs) and then also take much more time (my case).

However, my husband had pretty cut/dry case. Bullseye rash, on doxy and other abx immediately, prolonged therapy for ~4 months and felt better. Then he relapsed a year or so later after very stressful stretch at work. He went back on abx but they were not helping much after a few months- the IV did not feel comfortable for him, so we did the hbot and diet. He is doing very well.

I, on the other hand, was misdiagnosed for at least 11 years. I went to the best LLMDs and took huge amounts of antibiotics including 8 months of IV. After 2.5 years of antibiotics I tested positive via the culture test. As of last summer, I had antibodies to 3 strains of Lyme and was + for anaplasma. So I have been a complicated case, with a lot of drugs along with alternative treatments as well (Cowden, Byron White, sauna, etc) but slowly gaining on this beast via mHBOT and GAPs diet.

So I think the disease load, toxic load, health of gut, length of misdiagnoses, other outside stressors, etc all contribute to how quickly hbot helps. Some of us have a lot more healing to do and it will take longer. This has been our experience.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph, how do you feel about this venture into a salicylate-free lifestyle I am about to try out? I know that conventional wisdom warns against animal-only diets, but then again Lyme isn't a particularly conventional illness. Something is just not right with my diet at the moment and I feel like I need to get to the bottom of it.

Hi Spinning...

My thoughts are that I have confidence that you are a good detective...and you have been doing mHBOT long enough now to carefully and selectively tweak certain things that are still a nuisance (as you did with your thyroid).

I don't have experience with the salicylate-free diet, but I think the most important thing is to do things gradually and methodically (so you can see what's really helping) and not to go to extremes, as to not shock your body in any way.

Keep us posted...we are all learning so much here from each other's experiences...

Posts: 1883 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Phoiph, I appreciate your input, as always [Smile] I will definitely go about this cautiously and methodically and let you guys know how I am doing in about six weeks.

One more question for you. Do you feel the need to supplement anything (like magnesium, vit d, vit c, probiotics) with your current diet or do you feel like the foods you eat pretty much cover all the bases? I do take the supps mentioned above and I don't know whether or not they are helping/hurting/just plan draining my wallet.

Mbdq, wonderful update about you and your husband. I hope you continue to make steady gains!

Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Thanks mbdq for your posts. And as always thank me to everyone else too!!
Pam08
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19203

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pam08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also like to thank people for their updates. It is so helpful to see how people are doing with this. Some of us are still following along in hopes that we may be able to try it ourselves at some point.

Glad to see people are improving...even if it is very slow progress.

--------------------
Sick since 10/2001. Tested CDC positive for Lyme 10/2008 through Quest and Igenex. Started treatment 1/2009 with LLMD. Lyme, Erichilosis, Chlamydophila Pneumoniae, Q Fever, Strep Syndrome and probably a few others I am forgetting.

Posts: 451 | From Virginia | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Spinning...

In response to your question:

Do you feel the need to supplement anything (like magnesium, vit d, vit c, probiotics) with your current diet or do you feel like the foods you eat pretty much cover all the bases? I do take the supps mentioned above and I don't know whether or not they are helping/hurting/just plan draining my wallet.

I am selective when it comes to most supplements, since nutrients work synergistically and are best balanced, absorbed, and utilized when they come from food. Studies are showing now that taking certain supplements in isolation can actually be harmful.

It is also concerning that some people think that they can forgo a good diet because they can make up for it in supplements...unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.

In my opinion, probiotics are crucial. They are best from fermented foods, but we rarely get enough of those, so I believe in supplementing. I also include Saccharomyces boulardii.

Select other supplements are OK for a time if you're low (e.g., if your red blood cell magnesium or vitamin D levels are test low), although I would still try to bring those up via food sources simultaneously.

Some supportive herbs & spices are good, like Turmeric, for example, but I'm not a big fan of detoxing supplements and antioxidants. I also filter and add minerals to my water, and use plenty of Himalayan sea salt.

Here is a good article about what happens when certain supplements, like antioxidants, are taken in isolation:

http://www.greenpasture.org/fermented-cod-liver-oil-butter-oil-vitamin-d-vitamin-a/antioxidant-supplements---not-so-good/

Congratulations on going back to school...you've come a long way since we first connected! You have been an absolute trooper...

spinning122
Member # 42223

Thank you Phoiph! It is still daunting to me to take on this whole school thing since I'm still trying to fix nagging health issues and I have to be very careful not to overdo it, but mHBOT definitely helps keep me going.

Wonderfully thorough answer about the supplements. As always, thank you for your valuable input [Smile]

Haley
Member # 22008

Sorry if this is off topic... I am trying the GAPS diet... It's really difficult... mainly because there is a lot of cooking... what are the easiest things to start with... do you have links to easy recipes? Raw sauerkraut is easy, I've been eating a lot of that
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bone broth shouldnt be too difficult. If you can make a large batch, you only need to reheat it later. I usually make a batch that lasts me the entire week.

Sauerkraut is easy yes, though making the batch can be a bit of a struggle.

Fermenting fish is not that hard, and i personally like the taste. I use mackerel or herring, cut it in pieces, add some whey from my kefir batch, and add some herbs (like black peppers, dill and cilantro). Let it sit for 4 days on room temperature and its done. You can make a batch that lasts for about a week in the fridge. You can find the recipe in the book btw.

I think its good to focus on the fermenting foods of the gaps diet. The introduction diet also guides you through this process.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks S13, I'm going to try to ferment some things. I buy the sauerkraut , but it's top of the line stuff. I've never heard of fermenting fish. I must have skipped over that part. I mostly read the theory behind it. Ive always known casein was a problem for me, but very interesting to read about her research.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Also, you can freeze the bone broths/soups in sized containers, which when thawed will last a few days at a time...
S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for S13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to add an observation of myself concerning the GAPS diet and mhbot:

Once you stop feeding the bad bugs in your gut with carbs, and toxins no longer continue to poor into your system, then and only then(!) your body will finally start to detox!

Mhbot can aid in boosting this process, but stopping the inflow of bad toxins is the first step everyone should do!

Once the detox really kicks in when on GAPS and mhbot, you will probably notice detox reactions. The mobilisation can be horrendous, and you have to be carefull all those toxins dont cause additional bad growth in the gut. Maybe use binders, or gentle herbs like ginger, olive leaf, nigella, to keep bad flora from exploding during the detox phase.
Ginger can be of particular help if you have nausea (like me).

I also find that magnesium is my rate limiting factor for the detoxification process now. So if i want to feel like crap i just use more magnesium. And remember, its not a fast process!

Ive been in this detox phase for 6 weeks now, and have made considerable progress. I look healthier (less yellow/brownish skin), have more energy, better cognitive functions and way more stable psychological symptoms like depression and panic attacks. But all in all i think ive made an overall 30% recovery in that time. So it takes time! Keep that in mind.

I hope this helps other people as well.

Posts: 381 | From The Netherlands | Registered: Nov 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks Phoiph and S13.

S13 - what do you mean that magnesium is your limiting factor? Does that mean that you don't think you should take it?

Also - do you get constipated on GAPS? had to ask

S13
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 42830

Magnesium is not very well represented on the first stages of the GAPS introduction diet if you also skip out on most veggies. Only the fermented fish i make has some magnesium in it.
And my magnesium stores were low to begin with, given that i also did intermittent water fasting.

Later on when adding more veggies and nuts like almonds, you get more magnesium from the diet.
So now i supplement. But it doesnt take a lot to start noticing the detoxification reactions. I can tell a difference when i take just one Mag Tab SR (thats only 84mg of elemental magnesium). When i up it to 4 tabs (336mg) i get serious reactions, including heart palps, breathing difficulties, more nausea, feeling cold, anxiety attacks.
So its slow and steady for me.

There is a bit of constipation, yes. But tbh i dont think it has a lot to do with the diet itself. The oils and sauerkraut should be enough to get normal transition time.
Its probably due to the detox reaction (the constant dumping of toxins in to the small intestine).
And its just a longer than normal transition time. I do have movements about once a day. But usually after a meal, so the new food pushes the old food out. So on occasion i do an enema to speed up the process and get rid of the toxins faster.

Haley
Member # 22008

Has anyone had viruses come out after using oxygen? I remember one person had shingles.

I'm not saying the oxygen feeds them, but maybe it kills off bigger bugs which release viruses.

Just wondering if other people see this. I have some scary symptoms, I believe it may be a virus but there is no rash yet. I'm hoping it's not shingles.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Haley...

What are your "scary" symptoms?

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
200 dives in the books!!!

Wow, what a busy month I've had since completing my 5k. We had family visit from out of state during three different weeks, attended BBQ's, shopping at malls, motorcycling, lunch with friends and touring local areas.

I've been running 1.5 miles 6 days a week, and increasing my weight training. Two weeks ago I started training with my husband and I have to say it's good to see my muscles coming back to life. I really enjoy the sweat I get from the run and feel refreshed and flushed to start the day.

I sleep at least 8 hours a night and I'm taking a protein shake once a day for my muscle recovery.

It has been so nice this last month catching up with friends and actually laughing again. I can hardly wait to read these comments next summer after I have had another 500 or so dives in the books.

If I knew I was going to feel this good and have this kind of quality of life 6 months ago, I would have paid 50k for a chamber. I would guess I'm running at about 70% and still building the endurance and strength back in my body. Retraining my body to function at a normal level is the part that takes patience.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I saw a comment wondering what my 100% will look like...lol

A day in the life of Peimomma at 100%
0500 wake up
0530 run/weights
0800 start work....YAY a job!!!
1730 arrive home from work
1800 cook/eat dinner
1900 project around the house, shopping, walk
2000 read a book, watch TV, internet surfing
2100 prepare for bed
2200 sleeping

It will be at least 9-12 months until I will feel confident in doing the above without being worn down and possible relapse. I do take days off of everything except diving so I don't burn out. after a day or two off I'm excited to get started again with my workout, seeing people, appointments and more.

My schedule these days looks like this
0600-0700 wake
0730- mHBOT
0930- coffee detox or not
1000- morning errands outside the house
1200- lunch
1230- rest for an hour outside or just light reading
1330-1400 house work, laundry, meet friend
1600- run/weight workout with husband
1730- cook/eat dinner
1830- rest, hangout, read, phone calls
2030- prepare for bed
2130- sleeping

I no longer nap during the day but still need rest time for my body.

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

And what was your schedule prior to mhbot? [Smile]
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

good question Monti....

0600-0630 wake to see hubby out the door
0700- back to bed
0900- coffee detox, massage
1000- out of bed to do a chore like one load of laundry or vacuum downstairs
1100-1200 lunch
1200- clean up kitchen from the morning
1300- lay down for a nap
1500- greet husband
1630- watch TV with no particular interest, just wasting time
1730- eat dinner, I rarely prepared meals because of fatigue and or pain
1800- back to couch usually wrapped in a blanket to keep warm
1900- prepare for bed
2000- sleeping for maybe 5 hours before waking for 2-3 hours.

Rarely spent time out of the house unless husband drove because it caused to much confusion and fatigue for days. I met with a friend a few times a month to sit and talk or some walking but usually ended up with sore hips and back for the next three days....ugh, I don't miss those days.
Most of my time was spent putting around the house or resting. To even lift a light 2 pound weight would give me a 3 day migraine.

Today I was doing shoulder press with 30 pounds, rows with 55 pounds, 100 kettlebell swings, 30 second plank twice and 45 pound goblet squat and this was after my 1.5 mile run. No headaches or body pain. I usually get my 10k steps not trying now along with the weight workout.

This week has been slow because I've been without a car but I've made good use cleaning walls, and other chores that never get noticed.

I think the thing I've noticed with the working out is that my body was very very out of shape. It has taken 3 months to build to my current state of function. I started in May walking the 10k steps M-F and then added beginners yoga halfway through the month to start building strength. Every two weeks I upped my schedule and added in something to challenge my body.

I have a long way to go to get to where I was functioning before illness, I was a very active person outdoors in addition to working out. I've made great progress and am so grateful for the gains I have seen. I have been strutting around in shorts this summer, first time in 5 years...lol

How are you progressing Monti? Are you journaling your days? I can not stress this enough so you know where you have come from. It's a pain in the butt I know because I do it every day, but I can hardly look back at the first days in my journal without an ache in my heart for all I was going through.

abp
Member # 37656

Icon 1 posted      Profile for abp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, this entire thread is so fascinating. I did 3 weeks of regular HBOT last year at 2.4 ATA and cleared mold out of my body, but felt no great changes otherwise. I have Lyme and am at the point where Peimomma was before mHBOT, in needing a nap in the afternoon or if I don't, being wiped out the next day. Can anyone suggest a source or listing of used mHBOT machines? Thanks!
Posts: 4 | From Dallas, TX | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

abp...

I know we haven't had time to connect yet outside of an initial PM, but I have good resources for used chambers, both with private buyers, and through the manufacturer (plus, I pass on discounts...and FYI, I don't take compensation for these referrals, or anything to do with mHBOT).

There are caveats when buying used chambers that I want to discuss with you before you purchase something...just for your protection...

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

peimomma...

On May 13 I began full 1 hour dives. So about 2 months worth at this point. It took about a month to build up to that level.

Last week we went away on a 1 week vacation so I wasn't able to do any dives. Other then that I have been very faithful.

So far I don't really see any noticeable changes. I do suspect some mild improvements in different areas. For example I do seem to sleep better more often. Beyond that I don't dare to report anything since every time I have in the past it turned out to not last.

I was journaling daily but with such a lack of change I stopped. However I do not plan to stop mhbot even with zero improvements for at a least a year. I have a very strong feeling that won't happen though. I am confident I will receive some level of benefit.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Monti...

It is still very early in the game...don't be concerned about not noticing overt changes yet. Remember that I almost sent my chamber back at that point...what a mistake that would have been!

Sleeping better is a positive sign.

I admire your commitment of consistent treatments...and please do keep up your journal...you'll be glad you did (and so will we...:)

sheminesque
Member # 45770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sheminesque     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph, is your mailbox full?
Posts: 4 | From Georgia | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Yes, sorry...I just deleted some...
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Hi Phoiph,

I appreciate your thoughts. I will start journaling my progress but I don't see the point in a daily journal. Maybe once a week type of thing would make more sense.

And I'm not discouraged. I know this is a process and not everyone makes gains quickly. You helped me to appreciate that [Smile] . That's really the key to success with this I think.

I have noticed that the week off has seemed to set me back a bit as far as how the chamber effects me. I once again feel tired when I come out of it. That is something that had gone away recently.

Also I have the feeling or sensation in my eyes. I guess I would describe it as a light sensitivity type of feeling. That also was something that had cleared up.

I am not surprised these things have returned since I had stopped for a week so early in my treatment. It couldn't be helped. But now I am home for a long long time so look out [Smile]

SacredHeart
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 44733

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SacredHeart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't check this thread much. Is anyone else getting better using this method?

I am starting to think it is the only way to kill these things.

--------------------
Lyme flare June, July, August of 2013. Diagnosed September 2014 Lyme, Bartonella, Mycoplasma, Mono

Posts: 595 | From Texas Crossroads | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

SacredHeart...

I hope you take the time to read the thread.

Many people here are reporting benefit, and there are many more that I am in contact with outside of LymeNet.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

6 months of treating and 230 dives thus far😍. I'm still making gains and of course a few rogue symptoms appear every so often.

3 days last week my hands and arms were going numb at night while sleeping, a symptom I haven't had in months. Knee pain is another symptom that pops in periodically to let me know I'm not well yet.

This week we leave for a 1000 mile round trip drive to Montana for a wedding. This should give me a challenge and see how strong I am at this juncture of my journey. We will split the drive over into 2 days, attend the wedding on Saturday and drive home Sunday. We hope for no family drama at the wedding but who knows what will happen. I feel good and prepared for the trip.

We had a neighborhood BBQ last week and when I talked to people about Lyme disease that had heard of it and/or knew someone with the illness. Wow, what a change from a few years ago when people had never heard of it in WA.

I hope you all are doing well👍

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Since really starting to exercise in June I started to notice after a few days some fatigue, sore arm pits and a little brain fog. I found this article recently on a board about exercise and the effects it can have on the Lyme which could produce herxing if to much die off happens at one time.

I believe this is what I've experienced from raising my core temp for an extended period of time. Diving every day and then the exercise is like diving 2 times a day in terms of killing and making toxins.

http://www.tiredoflyme.com/exercise.html#.Vcy-xIpHaJL

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Wonderful timing on this. Thank you very much for sharing!

I've been diving for a number of months now and feel it's time to start slowly adding some excersize. Not so much because I am feeling better but more because I want to feel bette and I feel my body has had some quality mhbot sessions.

I also purchased a high quality juicer last week and have been drinking 3 8oz freshly juiced glasses a day of locally grown organic produce. Mainly vegetables (not much fruit)

This is in addition to my normal meals and not a replacement.

I am so ready to start making some noticeable gains.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

"...Diving every day and then the exercise is like diving 2 times a day in terms of killing and making toxins..."

mHBOT is actually similar to exercise for your body in several ways. Both raise your cellular metabolism, promoting detoxification at the cellular level, and more efficient transport of nutrients into the cells. They both also produce free radicals, which are necessary for disarming pathogens and raising production of white blood cells, improving immune function. mHBOT also stimulates the production of natural antioxidants.

This is why it is important to go slowly and gradually at first, and not overdo the exercise, because your body is doing a lot of healing work already, and that is where you want your energy to go...not to repairing exercise related micro-injuries.

I know when I first started exercising again, I had exaggerated stiffness and soreness after every activity...but this effect has normalized over time as my body has recovered.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Monti that is good news!! I think I started adding some exercise in to my day in month 4 which was May. I started with trying to walk 10k steps M-F and then in mid-May added in light yoga. Def go easy and slow😊

Thanks Phoiph for the explanation, my recent up and downs make more sense now and I need to reevaluate what I'm doing for working out so I don't set myself back in the process.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

If you were a very active person with an exercise routine established before Lyme it is very difficult to try to not immediately jump right back into the pre-Lyme groove!

But...the exaggerated soreness told me that my body needed more time...and once I accepted that, with moderation everything came back naturally in its own time.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Phoiph...

Do you think I am rushing into the exercise thing? Like I said before, I don't really feel any better yet. But I have been doing 1 hour dives for about 3 months now. (I did miss one week due to a vacation).

I guess I just want to be sure I am not holding up progress by not exercising. Not that I really feel like doing any.

I understand what's being said about starting slow.

Thanks

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Monti...

I don't think you're rushing into exercise at all...it is a crucial part of recovery.

Just start slowly, with something gentle like walking and yoga, as Peimomma mentioned. Those two exercises are great because they move lymph and increase circulation/oxygenation, and are easy on the joints.

I would definitely give yourself rest days in between to see how you are doing with it and to give time for recovery.

I also remember that it was very easy to injure myself at first (i.e., pulled muscles, etc.) which is understandable when someone had been homebound for years walking on the same level surfaces, doing the same things, etc.

If you're not trying to push, your body will tell you when it is time to increase...

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Thank you
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Interesting website with an archive of hyperbaric articles (by condition):

http://hyperbaricstudies.com

Includes an article entitled, "Portable Home Chambers treat Chronic Lyme":

http://hyperbaricstudies.com/research-studies/portable-home-hyperbaric-chambers-treat-chronic-lyme/

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Great articles Phoiph, thanks for posting.

Well, I survived the drive to MT but really paid for it over the last week😏. No pain, fatigue, GI issues or other issues while on the trip but I crashed when we arrived home a week ago.

No pain but my fatigue and brain fog have been really bad. It must have been the fight or flight that carried me through the wedding and long drive. I'm slowly recovering but boy what a set back in my therapy. I've not done any physical activity since returning a week ago and might wait another week to introduce walking again.

This is not an event I could have missed as it was my husbands son that married but if the future I will definitely evaluate trips because of the decline it can cause when I am so early in my treatment.

On a positive note, I did get to share my Lyme story with a gentleman that knew a woman that has Lyme and it seemed as though I helped him realize this illness is real. I shared this site, Phoiphs website, my videos and other beneficial MHBOT info to help her out. I guess if nothing else it was worth my setback if I can help another Lyme patient find healing😊

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Hi Peimomma,

Wow I'm sorry you got such a set back. Didn't u do a trip elsewhere without such a setback or am I confusing things?

My update...

I''ve been up to 1 hour dives since June 13th. I missed one week due to a prescheduled vacation. At this point I really haven't noticed any changes yet other then perhaps some improved cognitive function at times.

But it's only been about 2 months which is nothing when it comes to this treatment. Still very early. I remain very excited!

I started walking last week for some mild excersize. I can only go 1/5th of a mile before I start to feel dizzy. That distance seems pretty consistent which surprised me but I am glad for. Now I have a means of measuring my progress.

I bought a high end juicer a few weeks ago and I am now drinking 3 to 4 8oz glasses of vegetable juice every day in addition to my meals. Things high in nutrients like leafy greens etc.

And I continue on the Zhang Protocol. I can't help but think in a few more months I should start experiencing some noticeable improvements. Even if they are mild.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Yes, I did travel to Alaska in June and thrived on and after that trip. I think the differences were.....I flew to Alaska, I slept well, ate well and little to no stress. Unlike this last trip, driving drains me especially driving hours. We slept like poop, maybe 12 hours over three days and it was interrupted too. Because we were in hotels we had no home cooked meals so we ate out and in the area we traveled it was hard to find good meals.

At least once a day we did have a good meal because we brought our protein shake with greens and added a banana. I know I also wasn't drinking as much water because of the travel and schedule we had. I really had no exercise this trip either where in Alaska we were hiking and biking so I was sweating to detox.

Lastly there was family drama that added stress to the situation this trip so I was drained emotionally and physically. Never underestimate how much a stressful situation can set us back.

That is great news that you are doing some walking. Something is better than nothing, even just walking the stairs once a day. You are so right, you are still early in your 1 hour treatment schedule that more progress will come as you get more dives.

I'm a bit disappointed in my set back but I'm also someone that pushes the limits to see how much I can do to get a set back....and so the rest of you know it's not all roses in my world either....lol😁

I know I will get back to where I was before MT, it will just take a few more days to recover. I now also see that it will be 18 months for real until I can see some sort of normal life. This was a reality check for me, I'm still very sick and this trip just gave me that reminder.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Peimomma...

I call this a "speed bump"...:)

Thank you for sharing this important experience...I can't reiterate the message enough not to overdo in the early months of treatment even though you may be feeling better.

Travel is one of the most stressful things because everything is different, and your body has to make so many adjustments/adaptations.

I promise there will be plenty of chances to overdo it later on...believe me...lol...

Haley
Member # 22008

Nice job Monti.

Peimomma - sorry to hear about the set back. You are still my hero, as well as Phoiph [Wink]

September 3rd will be one year of mHBOT. I have not made the strides as others have. My situation is more similar to the woman that wrote about having the goal of a "little old lady" life. Have not been even close to being able to exercise until just recently, but I have added a couple of things to my protocol.

I started IV ozone (MAH) where they drain the blood out and put it back in. I only purchased 10 sessions, have 2 more to go. I then plan on doing a session once a month.

When I started this treatment my main concern was severe weakness and fatigue, unrelenting, unable to do much of anything. I also still have severe cognitive issues, but at times they do seem improved.

I have to say that my weakness and fatigue have improved significantly. It's quite amazing as I have been dealing with this for years. The crazy thing is - I don't think it is the ozone, but a supplement she suggested - Mitochondrial Energy Optimizer with BioPQQ by lifeextension. WOW... she told me to take 4 a day, but I have cut way back, it's too much (it seems to give me headaches). I am not only able to exercise, but I long to exercise. It's short intervals, but so grateful for that. I hope it lasts. http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/item01768/Mitochondrial-Energy-Optimizer-with-BioPQQ?q=energy

I still need to get my brain back. I don't think my brain is permanently damaged because I have moments of clarity, they are brief and short lived.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Haley have you gotten any benefit from the mhbot? If so, about how much?

Thanks

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

And have you been somewhat consistent in 1 hour dives along with O2? Thanks Haley
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Yes Phoiph that is exactly what it feels like.... A speed bump that caught me by surprise and shook me up. It was like I hit the bump and my engine quit😎

I'm back to my schedule and the fatigue is slowly resolving. We also had company for the last week since returning home which added to my issues because I was tired but felt like I needed to be "on" if you will. House is empty now, hubby returns to work tomorrow and I get my therapy schedule back on track. YAY!!!!!

Haley
Member # 22008

HI Monti. I do believe that there has been benefits, but the progress is so slow and subtle sometimes it's hard to see. I am doing one hour a day.

Frankly, one of my problems is my brain. I have a lot of confusion and memory loss, so sometimes I forget the good days lol, but also forget the bad days. So your question seems simple, but I have a difficult time gauging my progress.

I have been writing everything on a calendar and it seems that I am having better days, that's all I can say.

My biggest concern was getting some cognitive improvement and I do notice at times that I am doing things that I could not do before. For example, having a conversation with a super intense person at work was like running 3 triathlons for me, now it seems that I can follow this person and converse with her, it is not such an arduous task now.

Even something as simple as writing this post, in the past would be super confusing, now it comes to me a bit easier.

I'm sure that doesn't help at all, but that's the best I can do for now.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Haley I think you have made more progress then you realize, but glad you are writing it somewhere to keep track. I know some days it seems useless but when you look back in a month you will see the changes.

You are doing great at a year, working and seeing gains in brain function😃. I feel the same way about how my brain functions now, I can hold conversations with people and writing on these boards don't wear me out to just think about what to type. I would imagine since you have the stress of working your progress will be slower and it will take longer to get to 100% then someone like myself.

I don't work so no stress there or in commuting, I can sleep as many hours as I need to and exercise to strengthen my body. You should be proud of where you are, I wish I could work but I know it will take me down right now just as quick as this past weekend did.

One thing my brain struggles with is remembering that I'm still sick and I need to take the time for rest and repair.....I can't do what the healthy people are doing YET😁.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Oh, I have one more thing to add that I know added to my setback this week.....only for the ladies

My monthly cycle. I've noticed the last two months especially that I have fatigue just before I start😏. This week was no different and will definitely be tracking it more closely in my journal.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Thanks Haley.

You progress sounds like mine at this point. It's really hard to see any real progress but I think cognitively I have improved some.

Of course that depends on the day. Many days I'm a mess. But other days or times during the days I am more aware of my surroundings and more with it.

Again for me though it's only been a couple months. I don't really expect/hope to notice anything for 6 months or worse case a full year.

Are you working full time?

Haley
Member # 22008

Thanks for the the encouraging words Peimomma.

I say that I "work", but I really just somehow drive myself to my workplace 3 days a week and then do close to nothing, the other 2 days I work from home. I can lie in bed with a laptop if I need to. My employers can see that I am not capable of working the way I did in the past, for some reason they are keeping me. I sometimes feel that I am hanging on by my fingernails to keep my job. If I lose it, I lose my health insurance, my home, pretty much everything. I do not have anyone to help.

I have to keep going. This illness is so bizarre, one day I feel like exercising and the next I feel like I'm dying. I have so much compassion for anyone that has this illness.

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Hang in there Haley!! Eat healthy and stick to your treatments.
Haley
Member # 22008

Thank you Monti. I'm so glad this group is here.

We are pioneers in a sense. I don't think there are many people that have stuck to a specific protocol with mHBOT for a long period of time.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

I'm back up and running....lol. Feeling back to pre MT trip finally. Ran today, washed 2 dogs, vacuumed, cleaned the kitchen and 3 loads of laundry.

Don't read this next sentence Phoiph😉

I started twice a day again and boy did that make a difference in my energy and brain fog. I'm definitely outside the box when it comes to treating so let me just say "don't try this at home". Lol

The reason I went to 2 treatments is because I was feeling good for part of the day and then the fatigue would set in so I decided to try a second dive and it worked. I'm also back up to 2 CE's a day to detox as well. I won't keep this pace up for to long as I will start to herx.

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

It's been 3 weeks since my return from my Montana trip and I went through a week of fatigue, then pain and last week I had a headache for 4 days. I finally feel like I'm the pre-trip person again and went back to adding in weightlifting 2 days ago with the 1.5 mile run.

Finally got around to recording another video after 3 months and I hope to put another one up soon with me doing some of my activities.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbxHfnIfPo

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Great documentation, Peimomma! Much appreciation for doing this...it is so valuable to have a video record.

I have posted all your videos on my website...

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Nice video Peimomma! You look and sound so much healthier then the first couple.
joahsark
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20598

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joahsark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone, just doing the final research into choosing a chamber for our home. I have reached out to Phoiph and am waiting for her to respond.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any positive or negatives about the Newtown Hyperbaric chambers compared with the Oxyhealth which I know are the top. I have found only one or two reviews on them which are pretty good but want more feedback before deciding to purchase/rent/lease.

We are planning to treat myself and my 14 year old daughter.

EXTREME brain involvement, constant (20 years) pressure and pain as well as all the joint stuff. But really praying for the brain healing. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Posts: 219 | From pacific nw | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Thanks Phoiph and Monti,

I recently watched those first videos and you're correct, what a difference. Looking back in my journal is one thing but to see me back then is so encouraging now. I've come quite a distance and encouraged for the rest of the journey.

We hope to see you up on the big screen one day Monti👍😊

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by joahsark:
Hi Everyone, just doing the final research into choosing a chamber for our home. I have reached out to Phoiph and am waiting for her to respond.

Wanted to ask if anyone has any positive or negatives about the Newtown Hyperbaric chambers compared with the Oxyhealth which I know are the top. I have found only one or two reviews on them which are pretty good but want more feedback before deciding to purchase/rent/lease.

We are planning to treat myself and my 14 year old daughter.

EXTREME brain involvement, constant (20 years) pressure and pain as well as all the joint stuff. But really praying for the brain healing. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks so much!!

Hi joahsark...

Welcome back! I just answered you via email...

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

I was deleting old email this morning and came across a few I thought I'd share. This is an email I sent a friend Feb 2009, a year before my Lyme diagnosis.

I wrote:
Ok so health wise, I saw the rheumatoid doctor last week and I'm positive for the HLA-B27 marker which my sister has as well and has had a year long bought with reactive arthritis from it. I wonder if that's what's causing my pain.

I started seeing the trigger point injection doctor last week and laughed historically through the first appointment as it was so painful. I would have cried otherwise. They hurt really bad but are supposed to get better with time????? I go for one today and then again Thursday.

I'm feeling really hopeless with all the pain and no life. This is the last thing I know to try. I'm scared I won't have a life ever again. This weekend I didn't do much as I was very tired. I cried a lot, it seems as my life is work and sleep to get ready for work and sleep and work and …….

I used to do even common things around the house, cleaning and doing errands, now I just don't have the strength or energy to do them. It's like the inside of my body is wasting away and they can't seem to identify the problem. I can't imagine what it will be like in a year or two or five for that matter. Will I be able to work, drive, it scares the crap out of me if something doesn't work soon. I feel the worst for Joe as this impacts his life tremendously, we don't go out much because I'm so tired and sore. He's a trooper and loves me even in spite of my "temporary" issues, I hope.

Then I found a few logs I typed up of my daily routine...yikes!!
Keep in mind I was taking all this because someone along the way on the Lyme boards or doctor recommended them to help, kill or heal something. This was written 13 Oct 2012

Lyme disease
Medication
- Bicillin shot 2 times a week

Morning
Before eating
- Coffee enema liver detox and pain control
- serrapeptase for biofilm buster
- candida cleanse tab

Breakfast protein shake with almond milk
- Niacin 300mg for depression
- Colodial silver
- probiotic stomach support
- milk thistle liver support
- Vit D3
- Adrenal support tabs
- garlic tabs blood cleaner
- Samento

Lunch
- Omega oil
- Trace minerals
- Grapefruit seed extract cyst buster
- milk thistle
- B Vitamin
- Magnesium
- Multi- Vitamin
- candida cleanse tab
- L-Glutamine for muscle and tissue protection and immune

Dinner
- candida cleanse
- omega oil
- Samento

Before Bed
- EDTA for heavy metal detox

One to two times per week
- sauna with lemon water 45 min at 127-135 degrees
- rifing for any diagnosis I've been diagnosed with on a rotating schedule

Exercise
- Walking 2 to 3 miles a day

Food
- whole food, no sugar, starch or dairy
- minimum of 24 oz of green juice a day
- drink a lot of water

What a crazy bunch of supplements and I guess it's why I quit everything finally in 2014. It seemed like every time I turned around there was some new supplement to take to help. I found one from April 2013 that was similar but no Bicillin shots or other medication.

Thought I'd share how crazy my life was just a few years ago.

[ 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM: Message edited by: Peimomma ]

This topic comprises 59 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  57  58  59   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement