LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 46)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Phoiph
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broxin~

I agree with the above schedule (actually, I wrote it for Tanya for her own personal use), but it does apply to many people (not all though).

Be sure to go slower if need be. You can also take your time working up to full pressure if necessary (especially if your ears don't clear). Be sure to reduce pressure immediately, and stay at a lower pressure for that dive if you feel any pain in your ears (pressure is OK, pain is not).

I also think that this may not be the time to do strenuous exercise, but gentle, graded movement (like yoga, walking, etc.) is good.

Resist the urge to add a lot of other detox therapies, especially at first. Give mHBOT time to do its job. Focus on mHBOT, diet, and graded exercise.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broxin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all.

So you guys would do the whole treatments at 1.3 ata and not dive at 1.45 ata at all, not even at a later time?

[ 11-18-2019, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: Broxin ]

Posts: 68 | From Germany | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn’t. It’s too much for me.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Broxin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, good to know.

today i have sinus pain in the front of my nose. If i chew it hurts like the nose was broken :/
I had a cough the last week, maybe the sinuses are still filled with some goo...

Anyone experienced that?
Will sinus pain go away if i take a break from dives or could i have done permanent damage?

Posts: 68 | From Germany | Registered: Nov 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broxin,

You shouldn't dive when you have sinus or ear congestion.

Also, re diving 1.3 vs. 1.45 ATA, you may be able to handle the higher pressure at some point later on in your treatment, but I agree with Kaibyrd's advice to be cautious for now.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello All About two weeks ago I fell off a ladder and hit the ground pretty hard on my tailbone back and head

It knocked the air out of me and for a day or two after I had waves of nasea

What puzzles me is while my back is getting better I feel very fatigued with a lot of brain fog very little energy like I have the flue without the fever

This is not exactly a lyme question but could Lyme be involved here and how long will it take me to get back to my normal sick self
Thanks

[ 11-20-2019, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Hominahomina ]

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Hominahomina
Are you using mHBOT to recover?
Good wellbeing to you

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hominahomina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brozin
I am continuing to dive I am not sure I should
But will play it by ear

Posts: 261 | From California | Registered: Sep 2017  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

As ive read mhbot is good for all kinds of traumatic injuries so i think its good you are continuing to doing them.

I think such an heavy injury needs time to heal. All kinds of stuff could have gone bad as you fell. So give it time i would say. Doesnt have to be lyme related.

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorry that you had quite the fall, Hominahomina. Did you get checked out for a concussion? The nausea makes me think of the nausea you can get with a head injury. I have also heard of Lyme resurfacing after accidents.

Meanwhile there a many people on the FB group that are people with TBIs. And they are using mild hyperbaric as treatment with success.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Anyone knows if my mother that had her eye lens replaced for an artificial one because she had cataracs in both eyes, can dive at 1.3 ata?

She is concerned that something might happen

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kaibyrd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broxin, my mom dove several times while visiting me and she’s had cataract with lense replacement surgery. She had no issues with her eyes.

Homina, I’m so sorry this happened. The nausea does sound like a concussion. I hope you get relief soon.

--------------------
KB

Posts: 170 | From Northern VA | Registered: Apr 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Broxin kgg and Kalbyrd

The Hbot does seems to help me feel better in the lower back buttocks area where the most impact occured

Broxin
Member # 52040

Nice to hear that mhbot helps you out.

Can the inner zipper of the chamber be lubricated somehow?

I don't want to use oil as I've heard that any lubricant should be avoided if pure oxygen comes in contact
Phoiph you have any info in this direction?

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Broxin
What chamber are you using?
Thanks

Broxin
Member # 52040

Homina, the "Dive" from "Summit 2 Sea"
Its not that the zipper works bad, its just that i want prevent it to wear out and lubricate it a little.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

I would like to know too
Broxin
Member # 52040

quote:
Originally posted by Hominahomina:
I would like to know too

What chamber do you have?

So I found after some research an uninflamable (that's important) certified for use on devices that work with oxygen, a lubricant named "Klüberalpha YV 93-302"
It's very expensive but very secure to use
(can't cause selfignition if in contact with oxygen)

Here on the German Amazon store for example

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07H73YK41/

Divers use it for their equipment
I don't know if 4g is enough for the whole inner zipper. I'll order it.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Broxin,

I would not use anything on your chamber without contacting the manufacturer.

They sell zipper lubricant and zipper cleaner for $7 per tube.

You can contact them with questions or orders via email on their website:

https://summit-to-sea.com/

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Homina-

In my experience the fatigue is from detox. If I have more to detox, my liver can't keep up and I am more tired. You are detoxing both from the injury to your tailbone as well as possible injury to your brain.

In my experience, reducing my time in the chamber helps my liver keep up or catch up and my energy gets better. Just a thought.

Carbokitty

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an article on the differences in how HBOT, Exercising With Oxygen Therapy (EWOT) and mHBOT work.

Best,

Cass A

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2019/11/24/hyperbaric-oxygen-therapy-benefits.aspx?cid_source=dnl&cid_medium=email&cid_content=art1HL&cid=20191124Z1&et_cid=DM39 8015&et_rid=756488451

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks Cass A
The article says Hbot acts as a natural antibiotic
I think that is true
Isn't is also true that Lyme knows how to hide from antibiotics? I wonder if this is true for Hbot?
Thanks

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks for the article, Cass A. A lot of people think EWOT is the same as hyperbaric, so it was nice to see the differences explained.

Homina~

Most antibiotics can only go as far as your circulatory system can take them.

In many people with Lyme and other chronic conditions, circulation is poor. This gives Lyme the opportunity to go deep into tissues and evade antibiotics.

With mHBOT, oxygen (a natural antibiotic) is pushed deeper into your tissues due to the pressure, and goes beyond the reach of your circulatory system.

More importantly, it improves and supports your own immune and other body systems (unlike antibiotics, which disrupt/destroy gut biome, the seat of your immune system).

That said, of course antibiotics are life saving and necessary for many infections, and can be effective for recent Lyme and co-infections.

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to be of help!

As for Lyme persisting in areas that are not reached by the blood supply, I found out about that making a BIG difference when my LLMD injected ozone into the areas of my mouth where tonsils used to be---and had pus spurt out!! The result of that and adjunct treatments with IV Vitamin C, etc., produced the greatest benefit of any therapy I'd done before that!

I'm still in the research mode, with my most recent therapies having plateaued. This thread is being very important to me.

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Thanks ClassA

What do you mean by injected ozone? Injected the pure ozone gas with a syringe into the tissue?

Also i gave myself iv vitC 7.5g four or five times and allways felt horrible with stinging and twitches after that (maybe die off)

How much vitC did you get per session and how much sessions?
Greetings

Cass A
Member # 11134

Hi, Broxin,

The ozone injected was in some sort of solution and injected straight into the tissue.

I also got ozone solution IVs for a time with the same MD. Then, he switched to what's called MAH--major auto hemo therapy, which is extraction of your blood, mixing it with an ozone solution, and then putting it back in the body---done by IV. Now, he mainly does some IV laser light therapy.

I don't know how much Vit C was in the IVs that I got. I got these in late 2013 to early 2014, and don't recall the number of them off-hand--wasn't that many. From my notes at the time, mainly fatigue after and once feeling the vit C going through my body. I was in a long course of treatment using many modalities at the time, so nothing really specific in terms of the Vit. C.

I was getting ozone injections into the tonsils, "immune booster" IVs, colonics, dental surgeries and tooth re-alignment, parasite cleanses, and more!! Overall, this period did result in the biggest positive changes so far. I got Lyme in 1998, but wasn't diagnosed until 2005.

But, as you can see, I'm still working on it!!!

Best to you!

Cass A

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Phoiph

Thanks for the article on How Hbot can affect the immune system It was rather deep but the gist I think was oxygen can help the immune system I say that because when I dive I get die off

My question on bacteria running from oxygen is if one uses Hbot like an antibiotic hitting it hard rather than systematically ie daily a little at a time
Does the bacteria see it and hide from the threat like it would abx

If what you say is true that oxygen under pressure goes places where the bacteria hide then it would have no place to hide but I am not sure about that

If the slow bit by bit method is used then it seems likely the immune system aided by oxygen with all it's complexity would find a way to kill off the bacteria little by little

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Broxin~

I would be cautious about doing mega-doses of antioxidants with mHBOT.

Oxidation is one of the ways mHBOT disarms pathogens. mHBOT also promotes your body to create more of its own endogenous antioxidants.

In theory, mega-doses of antioxidants could thwart this process.

Also, re your mother's eye surgery, do ask her ophthalmologist to clear her for mHBOT, as there could be other factors in her situation. You can let him know that 1.3 ATA is equivalent to approximately 10-12 feet of underwater pressure.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Phoiph

Thanks for the article on How Hbot can affect the immune system It was rather deep but the gist I think was oxygen can help the immune system I say that because when I dive I get die off

My question on bacteria running from oxygen is if one uses Hbot like an antibiotic hitting it hard rather than systematically ie daily a little at a time
Does the bacteria see it and hide from the threat like it would abx

If what you say is true that oxygen under pressure goes places where the bacteria hide then it would have no place to hide but I am not sure about that

If the slow bit by bit method is used then it seems likely the immune system aided by oxygen with all it's complexity would find a way to kill off the bacteria little by little

Homina~

By "hitting it hard" with HBOT (i.e., using a higher pressure, which equals a higher "dosage"), you may kill off more bacteria initially, which is why many people with Lyme have intolerable "herx" reactions with high pressure HBOT.

The down side is, it isn't considered safe to do frequent, long term high pressure HBOT, as it can be toxic and immune suppressive.

So, you can have too much of a good thing, just as with any therapy, supplement, or drug.

When you consider the deep effects of a chronic illness like Lyme and co-infections, the short-term nature of high pressure HBOT doesn't allow enough time for restoring the immune system and healing the body overall.

Your last statement is right on...

Broxin
Member # 52040

Phoiph,

Thanks. No, I don't do VitC infusions right now. I did them two months ago.

One question: I have daily increase in joint and muscle stinging and pain (maybe since I began diving?)

I'm on my 12th dive now today. Yiipeey

Now I don't know...

Is that like it feels when borrelia disease progresses or could that be herx?

Also I felt very tired over the weekend. (I've read that some mhbot users encounter that tiredness after diving) (I'm on page 16 now)

I was doing 60min with oxygen in the chamber and three days ago I tried 60 mins with canula in my nose.

I'm confused.
You guys that have experienced lyme progressing, how does progressing joint/muscle pain feels like? Does it hit you all of a sudden and all joints hurt all of a sudden?

It started in the upper forearm in the muscle, a heavy sting that pulsated for almost a week. Painful
):

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broxin, I don't know if I wrote this to you already or not. But I think the worsening of symptoms is a sign that you are pushing too fast. I was a wimp when I first started diving. I did not want to feel any worse than I already did so I started at 30 minutes and no oxygen mask. I think I took over 2 months to get up to 60 minutes on the mask. I think I started adding the mask the last 10 minutes of my dive and then the decompression. And increased in 5 or 10 minute increments trying to avoid a herx. Like I said, feeling worse was not an option. I was so over feeling horrible. So I went really slow.

If this was me I would take a day off. Then start back at 60 minutes but only 10 minutes with the mask at the end of your dive. Then see how you feel. fwiw

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Ok i stopped on three days ago and would say the jointpain is much better.
Could it be that my body cant keep up with producing antioxidiants (SOD) and that the cartilage of the bones gets oxidized by the excess of oxygen?
Phoiph, what would you say causes this?

Cass A
Member # 11134

In researching options, I've done 5 sessions of Exercise with Oxygen Therapy (EWOT) with contrasting high levels of oxygen and oxygen deprivation.

Well, the equipment (Live O2 brand) apparently was very volatile-organic-compound toxic, as I got rashes and a swollen face and brain! My MD put me on a 6-day course of steriodal anti-inflammatory, and things calmed down!

One of the posts here led to an extensive "how to" on setting up and using a mild hyperbaric oxygen chamber.

From my experience, it is clear that having a hypo-allergenic set-up, including the mask, hoses, and chamber, is important!

Best,

Cass A

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by Broxin:
Ok i stopped on three days ago and would say the jointpain is much better.
Could it be that my body cant keep up with producing antioxidiants (SOD) and that the cartilage of the bones gets oxidized by the excess of oxygen?
Phoiph, what would you say causes this?

Broxin~

It is likely a typical flare of symptoms (I experienced the same), due to your immune system kicking in.

This is similar to how your muscles and joints ache when you have the flu. Although the pain is due to the reaction of your immune system (not the flu bugs themselves) many pathogens do have an affinity for the joints.

An additional cause may be doing too much mHBOT too fast in the beginning, where you are killing off pathogens faster than your body can remove the toxic byproducts.

I know of a drummer (who doesn't have Lyme and isn't technically "ill", but had minor health issues) that uses mHBOT regularly. In the beginning, she was very concerned she would not be able to play due to the joint pain that occurred in her hands after starting mHBOT. She continued mHBOT anyway, at the advice of her naturopath, and after passing through that "phase", her joint pain disappeared, and her health continued to improve overall.

I also recall going through a flare phase while I was recovering where the small hand and feet joints were so painful, it brought tears to my eyes when someone shook my hand. I also had flares of overall muscle and joint pain.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by Phoiph:
quote:
Phoiph

Homina~

Your last statement is right on...

Possibly
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina~

Look at it another way. For 2400 years, people used willow bark (aspirin) without knowing how it worked, they just knew it worked. Exactly how it worked wasn't really explained until the 1990's.

If aspirin was discovered today, it likely wouldn't be approved until its mechanism of action was understood.

We are very fortunate to have access to the equipment and methods that we know work at our disposal, even if there are still questions as to exactly how.

If mHBOT and oxygen were a money-making drug, you can bet that such supporting studies would have already been done.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Amen to that, Phoiph!

--------------------
KB

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello everyone. I have not been on Lymenet much over the past few years, but am still doing the best I can to get my old life back. I recently tried 2 mHBOT dives and it is hard to describe, but both dives left me feeling more relaxed with fewer of the symptoms I struggle with.

I am going for my 3rd dive today and may decide to bite the bullet and purchase my own chamber through the help of the doc who runs a local mHBOT clinic.

I have been trying to read through the Lymenet posts on mHBOT, but am only about a third of the way through. I am very anxious about learning how to set things up and use properly, especially since I have some hearing and sinus issues and need to take extra care to protect my ears.

Phoiph, are there any files or posts you can direct me to that provide assistance with using a home chamber for the first time? I will likely purchase something through Newtowne. Thank you so much!

Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Broxin
Member # 52040

Dbpei, im at site 26 and done the 25th dive today
I also have problems with the right ear. I have a remote controlled switch for 10$ from amazon where i can cut the power to the compressor in the beginning of a dive if i cant free my ear.
That gives me a BIG secure feeling to have controll if my ear starts to hurt. I stop the compressor and gulp until the pressure is gone then i continue.

There is not much you can do wrong here besides staying to long in the chamber at the first days/weeks.

Start with 20 minutes pure diving time without additional oxygen and incre 20 min per week.

I think you need much more dives than 3 or 4 haha

I think 40 are the minimum.

What does one session cost at your mHBOT doctor?

Greetings from Germany

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Welcome back, dbpei~

I will help you with set up and instructions. You can PM me with your contact info, and we can go over everything.

I can also get you a discount through NewTowne, but we should go over all options before you make a decision.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dbpei     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Phoiph! I will PM you. [Smile]
Posts: 2386 | From New England | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All: I am sorry I have been in the weeds for quite sometime. I experienced almost a years worth of recurrent UTIs and it was likely due to hormones but that with work kept me away. Thankfully, those appear to be behind me. I am still diving everyday and this Jan. 29th I will be doing Phoiph's method for 3 years. I find I don't have to dive everyday now to maintain gains but I can tell that I am better when I am diving. Welcome back Dbpei and Broxin. I spent time in Germany in 2012 doing photons and think of fondly. Unfortunately, it was not the bullet for me. Mhbot has been the best bullet thus far. Phoiph is an expert in all of this so just follow her guidance. I am so grateful to you Phoiph and I am thrilled to hear you are maintaining your wellness! I agree, the three pronged approach cannot be beat. I still have Dr. H on board and I think is really pleased with my progress.

I am running two companies so it can be done! Does anyone know how Peimomma is? Good to be back here!

Also wanted to say that a guy at Oxyhealth my the name of Trevor is amazing if you ever need help there. I got a Solace mattress and he sent me sheets for free! SO nice. My Solace thankfully is still going strong!

I had lots of bumps along the way as I found that it was like pealing back an onion. So don't be scared, sometimes back off a bit but honestly, Phoiph's way WORKS! Hugs all around and I will be happy to answer any questions I can for you. I do not have the expertise that Phoiph has or Digby. I am so grateful to you all.... Happy Holidays!!

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I have had Lyme, Bart, Babs, Mycoplasma and who knows what else since 2008 (worked with Dr. J and then Dr. H and flew to Germany). 2016 is when I found Phoiph and Mhbot. All by the grace of God. I am VERY GRATEFUL to Phoiph, Digby, Peimomma and all those that came before me. The thread is an invaluable learning tool. I was worried too about Babs and honestly, just listen to Phoiph. Your immune system gets modulated and Bam... you can beat this stuff!

Finally, I can say that!! My greatest gratitude! HUGS all around! [group hug]

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

So good to hear from you Willbeatthis! Yay! On continuing to feel well.

Peimomma will probably respond. But since I am on her group on FB, she is well. Able to work a full time job. She is a great help on the group.

Like you, I will be forever grateful to Phioph and this group.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Thanks, everyone, Willbeatthis, that is the greatest Christmas present ever!
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is such great news Willbeat this. There is such a high bar to entry for mHBOT...cost, time invested, discipline and courage/faith as one goes through the process but the people that stick it out really get amazing results. I am so happy that you are one of us!!!

Happy Holidays All!

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Oh Kgg... So good to hear from you again too... How are you doing? I pray really well. That is wonderful to hear about Peimomma. I am THRILLED. She had sent me some pictures probably a year ago now visiting her family out West I believe and I tell you what.... She looked like a MILLION dollars! Healthy as could be.... So wonderful to hear!

Phoiph, well, you have no idea the gratitude I have. Thank you for taking all the time with me and sharing all this expertise with so many. And, it really is EXPERTISE. It really is like throwing a pebble into a lake and watching the ripples. Because of you and this thread I have some semblance of real normalcy. I even refer to Lyme etc in the past. HUGE! My students too are grateful because I would not be able to do for them what I do without you.... How can I help you, Phoiph? I pray your family and you are thriving as always....

Digby.... You are so dear and also such a wealth of knowledge. Thank you too for all the time and care. It is wonderful to be one of you.... Honestly, words will never be able to express my gratitude... I am glad to hear you are doing well too!

Broxin- you are in the right place. I do not have the expertise unfortunately that say Phoiph and Digby have but I will be happy to help you in any way I can. Digby is right, it is all about faith, persistence and dedication. You too will get there. This group is great at answering questions!

Good to see you kaibyrd, dbei, HominaHomina and carbo kitty!

Merry Christmas dear team! Hugs all around! [group hug]

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carbokitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good morning and Happy New Year, divers!
Yesterday was dive 200 for me so I thought I'd give an update.
Some of you remember that it was mold exposure and chronic diarrhea that brought me here. Your journey's and sharing your experience, strength and hope have been invaluable to me.
I actually did my first 20 min dive a year ago yesterday! That was after being re-exposed to mold in my parent's condo. I felt almost immediate relief and after 8 days, I felt amazing. What was unexpected was that within 3 days of diving, my stools went from diarrhea/loose to fully formed. A miracle.

As most/many of you have experienced, it hasn't been a complete upward journey. It's been up and down, forward and back. I also came here with a tremendous amount of food sensitivities. And low levels of healthy flora in my gut. In July, my intestines got irritated my something with spices that I ate while out and that set me back for at least 2 months. My stools were loose, I had intestinal discomfort, my sleep was disrupted and my food sensitivities got worse/regressed.

I finally did a stool test which revealed that I had low secretory IgA (SIgA). It was the only thing "off" on the whole test (no parasites, bacteria, viruses, etc). That can cause diarrhea and food sensitivities. I tried all the recommended natural remedies (colostrum, l-glutamine and one other) but couldn't tolerate any. A catch 22.

Because I'd had some good success in the past, I wanted to try FMTs again (fecal microbiota transplants). I really felt that the combination of FMTs and mHBOT (gotta love acronyms!) would work. It's not easy or cheap to get the FMTs (I've been to Taymount so buy them through them but have to travel outside the US to get them) but I did that at the end of October.

Boom! I was back on track. My stools have been formed since then. I was able to tolerate goat milk colostrum in order to boost my SIgA and I have been able to very very slowly introduce more foods. Believe me, after 9 years of this journey, I've learned through the school of hard knocks that going too fast with new foods can set me way back (like the July episode with a spicy burger) and it's just not worth it.

My safe foods for all these years have been animal proteins, carrots and bananas. I now regularly eat a variety of vegetables. I was recently able to add blueberries and avocado. I soak and the dry/roast at low temperatures walnuts and pumpkin seeds. I am thrilled! I've only experienced 2 foods (almonds and maple syrup) so far that I didn't not tolerate well and that's ok.

So I dive every day, except when I am traveling and I occasionally miss 2-4 days if I'm out of town. On Sunday, we are leaving and driving to CA from WI to spend 2 months. I am taking my chamber with me (but will miss the days we are on the road).

I am so grateful to all of you and especially to Phoiph for all the guidance and support through this journey. If all of you hadn't been so generous in sharing your experience, I wouldn't be where I am with my health today. THANK YOU!

Wishing you all good health and happy diving in 2020.

Carbokitty
Mold exposure 2011
Lyme dx 2012
Antibiotics for 18 months 2012-2013
CIRS dx 2014
SIBO dx 2015
FMTs late 2017
Starting diving Dec 31 2018

Posts: 118 | From WI | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Hi Willbeatthis!
So good to see you here and doing so well!
Same to you Carbokitty!

Unfortunately I’m not doing so well. I got a chest cold in November but it didn’t stop me from diving so I am getting better at that but I took my hbot with me during the holidays and we got home yesterday. I missed the dive yesterday and woke up feeling awful today. I think I caught a head cold. Someone please remind me, if I can get up to pressure without ear pain, is it ok to dive with a head cold? I took antihistamine to clear my nose and it’s not really stuffy, just runny and sneezy.

--------------------
KB

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi KB~
So sorry you got sick again! What I hear on the FB group is don't dive if you've got congestion/can't clear your ears.
I was sick in early December. I dove while I was not congested but after the 2nd day, I was congested AFTER the dive so had to stop. I started again when I thought I was clear but had to skip another day because diving caused me to congest again. I had to be patient with it.
Since I don't take antihistamines, that wasn't an option for me. That might just keep you ok.
Hope you feel better soon!
BTW having a cold was a GOOD sign for me. It's my 2nd one since I've started diving. I hadn't had a cold for at least 5 years and I think my immune system just wasn't strong enough to enter into the battle and pathogens always just went deep (gut, etc). Now that my immune system is improving, I'm able to enter the "fight", which is where all those nasty and uncomfortable symptoms come from. Yay! I'm getting cold again!
Feel better!
Carbokitty

Broxin
Member # 52040

Happy 2020 to every diver out there

Kaibyrd, its not only the ears that can congest. In your skull/nose area there are sinus pathways that can still be congested
and in the most extreme example as i have read on a divers forum, you could break some sinus walls, even the wall to your brain could break from overpressure because its congested. This could even lead to death.

I dont think in our 1.3ata chambers that could happen, but i dove with a cold where my ears would clear but i got a very strong stingy pain on the bridge of my nose, to the cheek side (sinuses) and it did take a week to disappear. Very unconfortable and painful. You could stress the coating of the sinuses anf it takes time to heal. Divers report nosebleeding from damaged sinuses.

I would not risk it.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Carbokitty~

Thanks for sharing your amazing progress...Congratulations!!!

I agree that a cold is a GOOD sign during this process; it happened to me also, and it was a sign of my immune system behaving more normally, and of more healing to come.

I also agree that it is best to skip dives when you have congestion and/or fever.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Thanks everyone! I did dive Wednesday without issue but knew when I woke up Thursday that I was too congested to dive any longer until things clear up. I keep telling myself this is a good thing but I sure wish I could keep the colds at bay until I’ve gotten a lot more dives under my belt. Will missing dives from colds set my progress back a lot?

Maybe now that the holidays are over and there’s nothing planned but hibernating, I’ll be able to go a while without catching another bug. I’m very fearful of the flu bug! No way am I getting the vaccine though.

I’m still pretty congested and now my ears are bubbling when I swallow. I may need to see a doc to make sure it’s not a sinus infection if it’s still bad toward the end of the week. Still feels like a cold right now but I’m ready to turn a corner here. 😝

Y’all be careful out there! I didn’t use my DoTerra On Guard enough while traveling home Tuesday, that’s for sure. *kicking myself*

--------------------
KB

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Kaibyrd,

Don't worry about the colds setting you back from missed mHBOT sessions. Your body is working hard clearing the latent bugs. IMO, this is part of the process, and a good thing.

You may find that when the colds abate, you take a positive step forward.

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

That would be wonderful! Thanks so much Phoiph!

--------------------
KB

Broxin
Member # 52040

Phoiph, do you think including antabuse/Disulfiram would work with mHBOT?

I am researching that one right now. It is a drug for alcoholics and is very well tested as it is allready in use for a very long time.

You know about it?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

I would direct this question to Digby, he has experience with it.

It is contraindicated with HBOT.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Broxin, DSM blocks Superoxide Dismutase which protects against Oxygen toxicity, hence the contraindication.

Here is a study that addresses that: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6244385

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

Thanks willbeathis

Carbokitty

When you travel and bring your chamber
How do you transport such a bulky thing?
Also you say you started a 20 min dive a year ago
What was your dive progression when did you go to 30 min 40 etc where are you now?

Also for everyone
Do any of you use an earthing mat if so what kind?

Thanks

[ 01-09-2020, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Hominahomina ]

Kaibyrd
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45606

Hominahomina,

I’ve tried an earthing mat I got off amazon but for some reason I found it uncomfortable. It seemed to make my legs cold and achy.

I traveled during the holidays with my mHBOT and it’s a big one. We got a travel lift that fits into the trailer hitch to put all our suitcases in. That came with a 60” bag that fit onto it. We got another smaller bag that was 40” and the hbot chamber fit in there very nicely so that made for easier carrying. The rest we put into the back of our SUV.

--------------------
KB

Gabbysson
Member # 52061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabbysson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all. This is my first post though having read through all 46 pages (sheesh!) of the thread I feel like I know many of you.

I was diagnosed with LD just a year ago and with no known tick bite I estimate I've had the disease for perhaps 2-3 years.

My symptoms are not nearly as severe as many of you nor have I suffered through nearly as many failed treatments as most. I am humbled by the courage and endurance I have read about on these pages. The numerous successes give me hope of a brighter tomorrow.

I was able to experience a couple of low pressure hard chamber dives without adverse reaction. After reading The Oxygen Revolution and the thread I am determined to begin mHBOT treatment as soon as possible.

I am currently researching available chambers and believe the Newtowne 34" is likely my best option. If anyone has experience with that unit to report or advice about other available units, I'd be happy to hear about it.

Cheers!

Posts: 5 | From Virginia | Registered: Dec 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Welcome, Gabbysson! And kudos for making it through the whole thread!!

I have a 34" Newtowne and love it. I had initially an OxyHealth Vitaeris that I had bought second hand. When the zipper blew many years later, I opted to buy new than repair. Mainly, because I did not want to lose diving time. And buying a Newtowne was not that much more than what repairs was going to cost. I have no regrets going with Newtowne.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

I also have a Newtowne 34 inch and I find it is so far a sturdy chamber I have done about 200 dives

I strongly dislike three zipper system however,it is also sturdy and seals very well but it is really hard for me to use. I am regularly pulling the wrong zipper when getting ready to dive because it is hard to tell one from another

You have to make sure the middle zipper is fully closed (sometimes one of those little pull loops gets jammed in the closure point and creates a small leak)

When zipping up the outside zipper use a paint stick to push it closed fully because there is not a lot of room to push it closed if you use your fingers

After the dive it is really hard to grab the top zipper (outside zipper) there is not alot of room to get your fingers in to grab the loop as I already mentioned

One thing you can do is remove those pull loops and replace them with color coded or numbered loops so you can tell one from the other. Newtowne may have improved the zipper system since I bought mine

All that being said it is still a sturdy chamber with lots of room to move around in.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina,

You can contact Marie at NewTowne, and she will send you "improved" zipper pulls, which are less likely to drag against the zipper teeth and damage them.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:

When you travel and bring your chamber
How do you transport such a bulky thing?

Thanks

Homina, when you are traveling with your chamber, you don't need to take the frame and mattress, just the bag, compressor, and concentrator.

Some people opt to rent a concentrator at their destination, if available.

Some airlines will fly medical equipment for free, but you must make arrangements with them in advance and follow size restrictions.

carbokitty
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 40537

Hi Homina and others~
I also have the Newtowne 34" and I am happy with it (after the learning curve and early frustration with the 3 zipper system.

I kept the box that the chamber came in. We decided to ship the chamber itself via UPS to our destination. Then the concentrator and the compressor easily fit in our SUV along with our luggage. We did pack the frame in the car and just shipped the "blue tube".

Carbokitty

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Homina,

You can contact Marie at NewTowne, and she will send you "improved" zipper pulls, which are less likely to drag against the zipper teeth and damage them.

Thanks for that Phioph I can call Marie and see.
I am not traveling with my chamber I was just curious

Gabbysson
Member # 52061

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabbysson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marie at Newtowne says they have had functional problems with the Airsep New Life concentrators in the last year so they have switched to the DeVilbiss concentrators.

Unfortunately they are back ordered on the DeVilbiss so they may not be available for at least 3 weeks.

I have read good reports on this thread about the Airseps. Do you think their quality as slipped recently?

Would DeVilbiss be the next best concentrator and is there a recommended source for it or whichever you think is the best unit?

Thanks for the advice.

Posts: 5 | From Virginia | Registered: Dec 2019  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Gabbyson,

I recently asked my very knowledgeable and trusted concentrator resource about this, and he has not had issues over the past year with AirSep, nor have I with the new unit I recently bought. I have also not heard of any problems from anyone who has bought them.

He looked into carrying the DeVilbiss, and a tech at their company advised him not to use them with a chamber. According to the tech, they have a variable PSI, and the backpressure from the chamber could eventually burn out the compressor.

Only time will tell if this will happen, but I am passing this information on to Marie.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Originally posted by carbokitty:
Hi Homina and others~
I also have the Newtowne 34" and I am happy with it (after the learning curve and early frustration with the 3 zipper system.

Carbokitty Please tell me how you manage the zippers

Thanks Appreciated

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

quote:
Gabbyson,

I recently asked my very knowledgeable and trusted concentrator resource about this, and he has not had issues over the past year with AirSep, nor have I with the new unit I recently bought. I have also not heard of any problems from anyone who has bought them.

H

Can you tell us who this is? It would be good to know

Thanks

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Homina,

I don't post contact information here on LymeNet, but you can PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

dbpei
Member # 33574

Hello everybody. I am new to this and am more than half way through reading this amazing thread. I wondered if any of you can offer me some guidance.

I am struggling with the 3 zipper system on my Newtowne chamber. My husband is able to help me by zipping from the outside, but if I try to do it myself from the inside, I have an awful time.

I have the most trouble with the middle zipper. It isn't so much getting it started or finishing it, but zipping it along in the middle, it feels awkward, like the teeth are not properly lined up and when I zip, it often feels forced and does not run smooth. I feel like I am doing something wrong.

Do you know if there are any youtube videos I could watch or online instructions to see how using the 3 zipper system is supposed to be done?

I just ordered some cotton gloves to put on my hands, hoping they will make things a little easier and less painful. I will also try using a shoe string to tie on to the end of the zipper pulls to give me more leverage.

My chamber is 34". Is it better to have the opening on the top for easier manipulation and vision of the zippers? I have the opening on the side but near the top now.

Also, I have a remote control to my compressor. Is it okay if when starting the dive, I zip everything up first and then turn on the compressor? A few days ago, when starting up, I tried turning on the compressor before zipping everything up and the walls of the chamber started to tighten up too quickly before I could close the last zipper and I knew something was not right. When this happened, I opened the valve and turned off the compressor to deflate everything and then started again.

I feel like there are so many things you can do wrong! Thanks so much for any advice you can provide.

Hominahomina
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 50825

dopel For what it's worth
I also use a remote control to start my compressor and my concentrator
I zip up and turn on the compressor and a few minutes later I turn on the concentrator
When the dive is over I turn off the the compressor first and then when the chamber decompresses I turn off the concentrator I do this so as not to waste power and I hope it saves the equipment

Phoiph I think I have that information unless you have a new concentrator man If not I will let you know
Thanks

kgg
Member # 5867

dbpei, I have the 34" Newtowne. Originally I had my chamber with the zipper on the side. But I found it hard to work around all of the valves. So I put it with the zipper on top. I think you will find the zipper will lie better that way so the teeth line up. I found it easier to get in and out while on its side. But having the zipper on top works best for me.

I get in and while sitting up with my head out, I reach for the zippers and pull them half way starting with the top zipper. Then I lie down and again start with the top zipper to pull them close. I use a paint stick stirrer to finish closing them, especially the middle one. Then I turn on the compressor with my remote.

Hope this makes sense.

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  43  44  45  46  47  48  49  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement