LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Progurt (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Progurt
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone [Smile] I do feel a bit funny about sharing my bowel issues on the WWW but it seems so many others are having similar problems.

I'm pleased to report today that I'm batting 3 for 3... I can't remember the last time this happened. [woohoo]

My belly is doing the happy dance! [Big Grin]

I'm beginning to think that Progurt really is worth the expense.

Mister Zombie was rather annoyed with me when I told him how much it cost but he is coming around now that he is seeing a positive change in me.

I guess when you have a wife who is always grumpy about never pooping, 10-20 bucks a day doesn't seem so bad...

Thank you Scott for bringing this to our attention.

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sparkle7
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10397

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sparkle7     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear people are doing well with this. I don't have an issue with Bell's Palsey of the gut or most intestinal problems so it seemed alot to spend on a probiotic.

If you're ill - any amount to spend on getting well is worthwhile if you can manage it.

Posts: 7772 | From Northeast, again... | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well Zombie if you keep that batting average cost won't matter. You'll be signed to a contract with a professional baseball team. [lol]

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Truthfinder:
(What kind of place doesn't have whole milk anyway?)

I'm in Canada. I can get fresh whole milk no problem but not full-fat UHT milk (that sterilized stuff that comes in a tetra-pak), only 2% UHT.

The Progurt manufacturer instructions specifically call for UHT milk.

Don't know why, it does not seem to be a popular product here.

Mister Zombie went to every health food and grocery store around here and there was none to be found.

[ 04-06-2009, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: zombie_mummy ]

--------------------

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sparkle, this isn't your everyday, average probiotic. Everything I hear and read about it indicates that this product utilizes gut flora that are old, old, old friends of ours that have been ignored in favor of the easy-to-culture products we're familiar with.

Zombie, you are too funny..... I sort of knew you were from Canada because of the `Canuckistan' location, LOL. That got a good laugh from me right from the start....

Wow, 3 in a row. Maybe some folks wouldn't understand the significance of that, but I certainly do. I feel like passing out cigars or something. [Big Grin]

This is amazing. I'd come to the conclusion that my elimination issue - the gut palsy thing - was an autonomic problem. Well, maybe that still makes sense if you consider that most neurotransmitters are generated in the gut, not the brain.....

Okay, seriously now, am I to understand that `UHT' milk is something different than regular 4% (full fat) pasteurized milk available in every grocery store here in the USA? Because if it is, then I've got a problem getting it, too.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is UHT milk?

LP

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

UHT milk is the pre-sterilized stuff that does not need refrigeration while unopened.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high_temperature_processing

In my grocery store, it is found on the same shelf with the soy and rice milks in tetra-paks.

PS I'm pleased to say that the regularity continues [Smile]

--------------------

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Does it make a difference if you use the UHT milk or regular 1%, 2% or whole milk?
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, they say it should be WHOLE milk.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

quote:
Originally posted by tosho:
Hi, could anyone tell me what is the price for progurt? Does it need to be transported in low temperature (shipping). Thanks.

It's $180.00-680.00 US, depending what package you order.

http://www.progurt.com/downloads/Progurt_Order_Form.pdf

The sachets arrived in little insulated envelopes.

--------------------

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, do you use unrefrigerated stuff on the shelf, or the refrigerated 'regular' milk?

I'm still not clear on this.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use refrigerated milk and then refrigerate the end product after the Progurt final product is made.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott,

You have been using progurt the longest.....how has it helped you? With what symptoms and are you taking any abx along with this prod?

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I am not taking any antibiotics. I probably would not find this worth doing if I were still on antibiotics. The benefit might be less pronounced as the antibiotics kill probiotics.

I've noticed more energy, reduction of fungal issues, some visual improvement, more exercise tolerance. It's harder for me to point at specific items since I have been at about 90% for a bit now.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scott, I've asked this several times but didn't get a response. If you're at 90% (which is great), how on earth do you know which things are worth investing an enormous amount of $$$ into when you treat things? A 10% differential isn't that big I'd imagine at that level. Is it cost effective?

I'm trying to understand your rationale behind all these treatment protocols. Or maybe you decline in health if you don't do them all? If we're talking $500+ for probotics, I'd have to think it must be a MAJOR improvement to continue. This helps people get an idea how to get the best bang for their buck.

When we're talking about relatively high ticket treatment options, just trying things randomly sure can break one fast (most people). [Smile]

I actually just spent some time reviewing your treatment protocol(s) on your website. All I can say is WOW. There are literally three pages full of supplements along with endless other things. I've never seen anything so comprehensive. With all that IMO, it's like dropping a needle on a cubic yard of dirt and seeing if a difference can be noticed.

It's your body and i'm sure you can tell. Good luck with everything. It seems to be something most, if not all here, could realistically do.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steve1906
Member # 16206

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steve1906   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just have two questions:

1- Can anyone tell me if this product (Progurt) has any side effects?

2- And can it be dangerous in anyway?

Thank you!!!

[ 04-07-2009, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: steve1906 ]

--------------------
Everything I say is just my opinion!

Posts: 3529 | From Massachusetts Boston Area | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Thanks, Scott. (Thank goodness!)

So, Miss Canuckistan, maybe you could use regular, pasteurized, full-fat milk instead of the UHT stuff. I'm sure both the UHT and 'whole milk' instructions are important, but if memory serves, it is the fat in milk that contains a lot of enzymes that help us digest it. For instance, I can digest butter but I don't do well with any kind of plain milk.

--------------------
Tracy

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dh is now being treated for cdiff.. I would think the progurt would be very good for him AFTER he completes abx (if ever?)?

He is to take 3 therelac a day. I am thinking he should take a variety of probiotics... ?

The 700 is only for one month, right, then you taper down?

I'll call these people.

Anyone get cdiff and be able to go back on abx that dont directly address cdiff.. like most of them?

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

quote:
So, Miss Canuckistan, maybe you could use regular, pasteurized, full-fat milk instead of the UHT stuff.

If you don't use UHT, you will need to sterilise the milk yourself. It is a very important step. I make yogurt all the time this way.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/knowledge_base/kb/yoghurt_scd.htm
1.) Put one or two liters (quarts) of milk into a clean pot and heat
slowly on a medium heat until the temperature reaches 180 degrees F.* Stir
the milk from time to time to keep the bottom from scorching, and again
before you take a final temp reading to make sure that the entire contents
have reached 180 degrees. The purpose in heating the milk to this
temperature is to kill any bacteria that might be present and interfere
with the yoghurt making culture.
*Both cow milk and goat milk must be heated to just past 180 degrees F, in
order to sterilize them. However, cow milk can tolerate temperatures up to
about 212 degrees F, while goat milk is more delicate and should not be
heated above 185 degrees F.

2.) Turn the heat off and allow to cool to between 108 and 112 degrees F.
Stir well before determining the final temperature. You may cover the pot
with a clean tea towel while it cools.

--------------------

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

quote:
Originally posted by steve1906:
I just have two questions:

1- Can anyone tell me if this product (Progurt) has any side effects?

2- And can it be dangerous in anyway?

The have been no noticeable side effects for me so far, other than improved bowel function.

The FAQs on the website state that it is safe for all, including children and pregnant women.

I gave a little amount mixed with honey to my 2 yr old yesterday to help her with a bit of constipation trouble. She loved it and it worked like a charm.

--------------------

sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read up alot on this product and it seems to help alot of people with MS....i mean BIG improvement.

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Oh, Robin - very sorry to hear that about your dh! I hope you do contact the Progurt people and see what they might suggest. I'd like to know, too.

If your hubby was not taking Saccharomyces boulardii or Florastor or one of the products out there with S. boulardii in it, then that might be a suggestion. Do a search here - there have been a number of discussions about it.

Thanks, Zombie. Here in the U.S., UHT requires `aseptic' (sterile processing conditions and packaging) with no set temperature or time for heating (that I could come up with). Strange.

In the U.S., we may have to settle for `ultra-pasteurized' whole milk, which has to be subjected to 280�F for at least 2 seconds. I don't know. I'll have to see what's available here.

I wish the industry could figure out a new way to `sterilize' milk products. Heating processes sure destroy any real `food' value in milk, and some say it's a cause of `leaky gut' since the body can no longer recognize the protein molecules. [Frown]

Sonee, is there a specific website where you found a lot of info on Progurt and MS? I've seen some general references to MS and even diabetes, but just bits and pieces.

--------------------
Tracy

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
R62--

the cost is case by case. Some people may be able to taper down within a few months similar to Scott, but I imagine I'll be on the full dose for longer. But if it becomes unaffordable, I still think taking the same dollar amount of progurt vs. the same dollar amount of any other probiotic I've tried would be a good choice based on my response thus far.

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou, Tracy. It's not confirmed per testing, but suspected with the fever and violence of it. We put him on the Florastor in addition to Therelac. He's on flagyl now.

Good point, Joey.. thank you. I didnt think to think of that.. very good point..

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

And if you consider that after 9-13 months, you don't need much if any to keep this going, it is longer-term not as bad as it looks. Once you colonize the gut, the bugs will replicate themselves enough that maybe a glass a week or so is enough.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Do the Nutramedix herbs also kill beneficial flora? Is there any protocol beside immune enhancers or homeopathy, rife or photons one can use while on progurt without wasting the money... ?? Looks like AI is ok to do with progurt.. Thanks..
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Not Progurt. The only things known to kill these strains are hard core RX drugs / antibiotics. They are not impacted by garlic, silver, etc.

I am doing my normal protocol with natural antimicrobials, etc. with Progurt.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

I've been using Progurt for just over a week and am pleased to report that it seems to to be helping me greatly.

Over the past 8 days, I have managed to move my bowels 7X.

Prior to using this product, I was only managing a BM once every 3-7 days or so due to gut palsy.

I'm also seeing some small improvements with my neuro syx (muscle weakness, slurred speech).

I seem to be having less trouble getting up out of a chair and my gait has improved.

I'm currently using 1L/day.

--------------------

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still wondering Scott. [Smile] It's a legitimate question to you or really anyone taking many supplements at once and adding more. I too am in this boat wondering why to take what and value from it. I won't ask again if I get no direct response this time. Thanks.

Original Post

Scott, I've asked this several times but didn't get a response. If you're at 90% (which is great), how on earth do you know which things are worth investing an enormous amount of $$$ into when you treat things? A 10% differential isn't that big I'd imagine at that level. Is it cost effective?

I'm trying to understand your rationale behind all these treatment protocols. Or maybe you decline in health if you don't do them all? If we're talking $500+ for probotics, I'd have to think it must be a MAJOR improvement to continue. This helps people get an idea how to get the best bang for their buck.

When we're talking about relatively high ticket treatment options, just trying things randomly sure can break one fast (most people).

I actually just spent some time reviewing your treatment protocol(s) on your website. All I can say is WOW. There are literally three pages full of supplements along with endless other things. I've never seen anything so comprehensive. With all that IMO, it's like dropping a needle on a cubic yard of dirt and seeing if a difference can be noticed.

It's your body and i'm sure you can tell. Good luck with everything. It seems to be something most, if not all here, could realistically do.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I use energetic testing to guide my plan. If it tests as beneficial, I incorporate it into my plan working with my doctors.

It goes up and down in terms of the number of things that I am taking at any given time. The focus now is on detox and regeneration and much less on microbes except for energetic therapies such as the photons and a couple of the natural supplements that are on my list.

The number one investment we can make is in our health.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Thank you, Scott. Thanks for the updates everyone.
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Robin, hopefully the Flagyl will knock it. C. diff. is such a nasty, nasty bug. There are lots of really good tips on BorreliaBrain's thread, which I'm sure you've already read, but in case you haven't:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/79661

Wow, that's terrific Zombie!

Are you taking other things to help with GI issues (like fiber, prunes, magnesium, aloe vera, whatever) or is Progurt pretty much it at this point?

I keep revisiting the Progurt website..... either there is more information there than before, or I sure missed a lot in the beginning.

Okay, another question: Anyone notice either improvement or worsening of foul-smelling `flatulence' after starting the Progurt?

I've been taking a measly 30 billion CFU daily probiotic (Primadophilus - standard acidophilus and bifidus) + an inulin prebioitic on a regular basis for over a month now. It does seem to help my bowel- inactivity issues somewhat, but it also seems to cause a lot of offensive gas. Not always, but more often than not.

I can't imagine what 500 billion CFU a day would do.....! I would hate to asphyxiate my dog. [Smile]

FYI, I've also experimented with taking just the Primadophilus without the inulin (or sometimes I use FOS), and there is no comparison. Without a prebiotic, there is very little change or benefit. I was very surprised that it would make SO much difference.

--------------------
Tracy

seekhelp
Member # 15067

Thanks Scott.
shimmy
Member # 15883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the feedback on the Progurt Zombie Mummy thats great news! I've been pondering on whether to try it for a while but as its quite expensive I decided to wait until I had heard more reports.

I'm really glad to hear that its helping you...even small improvements in the neuro issues must be very encouraging!

I might well invest in it soon.

Really hope it continues to help you!

Posts: 85 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Thanks Shimmy, Truthfinder.
quote:
Wow, that's terrific Zombie!

Are you taking other things to help with GI issues (like fiber, prunes, magnesium, aloe vera, whatever) or is Progurt pretty much it at this point?
Okay, another question: Anyone notice either improvement or worsening of foul-smelling `flatulence' after starting the Progurt?

I have not changed my diet since starting Progurt. I was already doing the Specific Carbohydrate/GAPS diet for the past 10 months. I've kept on it since adding Progurt.

SCDiet calls for homemade yogurt anyways, so I just substituted Progurt for my usual SCD yogurt.

I eat dried apricots/prunes but I had always done so with little improvement in gut palsy.

I do take Natural Calm magnesium powder but that's it. It never seemed to help my bowel issues much -I took it more for muscle twitches, cramping, etc.

I have not noticed an increase in gas with Progurt. If anything, I'm less bloated and gassy than before.

--------------------

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The gas & its quality have fluctuated for me. It may get worse at first because of all the fermentation going on in the gut. However, bowel movements have definitely been on the up and up for me... sometimes 3, 4x a day
Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Thanks much, Zombie and Joey. I'm sure it will be a bit different for each person, depending on what their issue is.

--------------------
Tracy

hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can progurt make you spend less time on the toilet. I have the opposite problem from zombie and some of the others. I need to slow down my bowels.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 8880 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:
Can progurt make you spend less time on the toilet. I have the opposite problem from zombie and some of the others. I need to slow down my bowels.

Hiker53

I ordered progurt on Friday and have the same problem as you, Hiker, so I'll let you know.

My problems are probably from the antibiotics. I will be taking the progurt even though antibiotic treatment continues, even though the abx will kill some of the probiotics -- but since probiotic tablets are having little effect on my pooping problems, I thought I'd give the big guns a try.

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

I just started the progurt yesterday during my two week break from AI drops.

My progurt came out soupy in consistancy...no fully yogurt like.....is this normal?

Could the strains be damaged in shipment?

And are the sachets to be refrigerated prior to use?

LP

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Mine is general soupy as well and I prefer to drink it anyway. I have heard that if you get organic whole milk, boil it, simmer and then use it will be thicker. You can also go up to 24 hours in the incubator.

Nothing is wrong with the product most likely. I put them in the fridge, but not sure if that is required.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Thanks Scott.

LP

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Zombie, or other progert makers.....

I followed your instructions and I used organic whole milk, boiled it to 180 degrees and then let it cool to 108 degrees. When it seemed just warm, I added the sachet and started the progurt machine, running it to the directed time.

Should I have waited until it was room temp. to add the sachet? Just want to make sure I do not harm to organisms before the progert is made.

LP

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

I have done the progurt both ways (UHT milk at room temp, boiled and cooled organic milk) and both ways turned out fine.

Mine usually starts out runny but thickens up after refrigeration.

I do ferment mine for 24h as I want to be extra sure the lactose is gone.

--------------------

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

quote:
Originally posted by hiker53:

According to the Progurt website, it claims to help with the following bowel issues:

"Diarrhoea
Constipation
Indigestion
Abdominal pain
Chronic fatigue
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Flatulence
Ulcerative Colitis
Crohn's Disease"

http://www.progurt.com/for_illness_bowel_conditions.htm

--------------------

NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can order organic, UHT, whole milk on Amazon if you can't find it locally.
Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

zombie, I am going to start the SCD. My gut is a wreck. I was on it before all but making yogurt. When you make the progurt for 24 hours, what temp do you use? Does the unit allow you to make the 24 hour yogurt.. does it stay on? Thanks..
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

There is no temp setting with the machine..it is preset
SForsgren
Member # 7686

You don't use a temp. You use their machine. It has on and it has off.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't bought Progurt, but I'm wondering what kind of results those of you using it are getting from it.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimmy
Member # 15883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd let you know that I also decided to try the Progurt as I've just ran out of my regular probiotics.

I spoke to the guy at Progurt and he said I could just try the sachets in water first of all without fermenting it as Im a bit concerned that I might react to the Progurt as I'm dairy sensitive ... Ive had gut problems for yrs and cant even tolerate kefir with goats or cows milk so I hope I can tolerate the Progurt..heres hoping! Anyway he reckons just taking the sachets first might help to prepare my gut for the full onslaught of the Progurt :-)

We'll see anyway & I'll keep you all posted on how I get on with it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Posts: 85 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

It doesn't work as well in water. Most people here that have tried it had some dairy issues and it doesn't seem to be too problematic.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

You may be better off trying to use coconut milk or hemp milk to ferment if you're truly averse to the milk. One of my family members is using hemp milk, and so is my doctor.
shimmy
Member # 15883

Thnx Scott & Joey! I think he was just suggesting that I try the sachets first of all just to prepare my gut then move on to making the liquid with cows milk when I order the next batch. It would be great if the dairy version does suit me, otherwise hemp or coconut milk might be good alternatives!

Joey are your doctor and family member getting benefits from using the Progurt with hemp milk?

Cheers

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

I will find out from my doctor tomorrow, but my family member is
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is almond milk too thin to use to make the progurt?
Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

The progurt owner told me there isn't enough fat to set, and I've read in other sites it generally doesn't set. Among the nut, grain-based milks, hemp has the most fat. Although sometimes the hemp doesn't set either!!! No sure why the inconsistency.. either the milk or the incubator haha, not many suspects
LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got it. Makes sense. I just wish there wasn't so many darn additives in hemp milk. I know that in the case of the hemp milk that my local health food store sells, all of the additives are "natural". Natural or not though, it's just more to react to. Being a "universal reactor", I can't seem to figure out how I'd consume the progurt without causing more harm than good!

I WILL figure it out though because there is no doubt in my mind that the product itself would help me and my ever-so-dysfunctional gut.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/cartshop/productview.asp?key=41

My fam isn't using this one because the Living Harvest one sets better, but from what I hear, as long as it sours, fermentation has occurred.

There is nothing in the Manitoba hemp besides organic hemp, sea salt, water, and xanthan gum

Also, despite what Living Harvest label says, their hemp is also organic. It's just that they add synthetic vitamins to their milk.

LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

m0joey, I'm pretty sure you just made my day.
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

mission accomplished.
shimmy
Member # 15883

Thanks Joey, thats good to know the hemp Progurt is helping someone in your family!

Cheers :-)

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

This is exciting. [Smile]

Good luck, Shimmy.

Robin, what's SCD? (I've just about maxed out my lifetime acronym threshold.)

Zombie, are you still having daily results (or nearly so)?

I still have trouble understanding how little digestive bugs can normalize muscular rhythms in the gut..... this just amazes me.

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

SCD = Specific Carboyhdrate Diet

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

For those interested, here is the SCD website:

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/

Here is a brief synopsis of what the SCDiet entails:

"Some general guidelines are, no grains (i.e. rice, wheat, corn, oats, etc.), no processed foods, no starchy vegetables (i.e. potatoes, yams, etc.), no canned vegetables of any kind, no flour, no sugar, no sweeteners other than honey and saccharin, and no milk products except for homemade yogurt fermented for 24 hours, prepared according to the instructions in the book."

--------------------

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

And yes, I am still having good daily results with the Progurt + SCD.

[Smile]

--------------------

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Ok so I may just have suffered the brain fart of the Progurt era. Because of yeast, I opted to go with unsweetened hemp milk for family member, and in an earlier post I said it's never fully set. My doc reminded me today that whole milk has 12g of sugar!!! The probiotics feed on sugar during glycolysis and it should convert
to lactic acid.

For those of you that plan on using hemp milk or other nut-based milk, high fat content may not be enough. The Manitoba aka Hemp Bliss original has 7g of fat and 6g of sugar per serving. The vanilla has the same fat but 13g of sugar, rivaling whole milk. That seems to be the best match. I will experiment with the sweetened hemp and see if it sets better tonight.

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Ah, yes - Specific Carbo. Diet - thanks Scott and Zombie for info on that. (Great news, Zombie.) [Smile]

Speaking of lactic acid........ if anyone was following James Case and his last `discovery' before he left the board, some of the hints he gave suggested lactic acid might be the mystery Bb `killer' he discovered. Just one of the hints he gave out before he left was to `eat a lot of yogurt'.

Also, in my Lyme notes, I found this:

``Borrelia-b: Glucose provides its major energy source and lactic acid is the predominant metabolic end product.'' ( From Franz V's ``Monera'' book)

Does anyone know if this is correct? (It's impossible to try to Google this and come up with anything to verify it.)

Back in my days researching Fibromyalgia, it seems like the presence of lactic acid in muscles was thought to be the cause of chronic pain for many Fibro patients.....

I'm just sort of thinking out loud here, wondering what role lactic acid may have in this whole Lyme process.....

For instance, is it possible that the reason Lyme (and Fibro) tends to attack one area of the body, then move to another area is that it cannot thrive in a certain concentration of it's own `excreta', i.e. lactic acid? (Sorry, this probably isn't the right thread in which to speculate, but I suspect that there's some connection here.)

--------------------
Tracy

Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Latic Acid and Sanum. The only thing I use to regulate pH is Sanuvis, a mix of Latic acid potencies. It can be rubbed or ingested.

--
There's a good article about functions of acid latic in the body. The summary is below:

On the basis of the above
symptoms, SANUVIS 2X is an
ideal remedy for the regulation of
disordered metabolic processes
resulting from stress, dietary errors,
imbalance in the acid-alkaline
economy and lack of movement,
and for the activation of cell
respiration.

http://www.sanum.com/literature/SP74_Sanuvis_Kracke.pdf

It is certainly involved in energy of the cells together with the citric acid cycle.

an interesting part of the article says that:
In a hyperacidic body the
tissue is acid because of
accumulation of acids and metabolic
waste, whilst the pH value of the
blood becomes more strongly
alkaline.

Another interesting part:

A prescription of dextro
rotatory lactic acid is
indispensable, since this activates
cell respiration, favourably
influences the acid-alkaline
balance, stimulates the activity of
the organs responsible for
detoxification and that of the
adrenals, and strengthens the
immune system by giving
improved support to the functions
of fermentation.

In years of
experiments both Dr. Dr. Seeger
and Dr. Reckeweg found that
good therapeutic results are only
obtainable when pure
attenuations of dextro rotatory
lactic acid are prescribed.

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Also speaking of lactic acid.. I am still curious as to what about the weston price diet that has seemingly put Dr. Ron Schmid into remission or control or whatever of his lyme. From what I understand, he eats a lot of fermented vegetables, raw milk, close to raw meats.. yes.. and I think other ferments. Isnt that a lactic acid heavy diet or do I have that wrong?
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Very Interesting about the lactic acid. I've always wondered if there was a connection with keeping lyme at bay.

My daughter (who has lyme and co.) has very high lactic acid build up due to her intense competitive swim practices. The coach tests the team regularly by taking blood pricks from their ear lobes during the work outs and measuring it for lactic acid build up. A MD comes to help him and they chart it on the computer during a two hour swim workout of varying intensities.

Hers is always very high very quickly, compared to the other swimmers. And it takes her longer in warm downs to release it, if she even does. It is interesting to see the difference in her graphs and the other swimmers. Her chart is a line that moves very high on a steep grade and stays high, where the others gradually show an incline and then a gradual decline. She cannot do the distance sets that the other swimmers can do, usually to lactic acid build up in her arms. She says they feel like lead.

The LLMD believes she is doing better physically than average with her symptoms because of the swimming. Even though she wonders how in the world she can exercise at that level of activity, knowing how sick she is. When she stops practicing for a while, she gets very sick. So she keeps it up!

I would love to know if there is a connection.

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Diet and Recovery from Chronic Disease, Dr. Ron Schmid:

http://www.westonaprice.org/moderndiseases/chronicdisease.html

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

How are you all judging when to start backing down the amount you consume?

How are you determining at what amount to start?

Does the Progurt company come up with an plan with you?

Thanks..

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Selma, that article has amazing information! This may answer SO many questions, about how `lactic acid' seems to be both harmful and wonderful..... You may have provided the `missing link' here to the Progurt benefits!

I had no idea there were 2 types of lactic acid.... and as your quote pointed out, the dextro rotatory lactic acid (the L(+) form) could be a huge factor in detoxification, immune function, pH balance, cell respiration and oxygenation ......so many things we face with chronic illness.

I find this in my Repertories as `Sarcolactic Acid'. The remedy has been around forever! I'll have to read up on it.

Other quotes from the article:

quote:
......L-lactic acid... and D-lactic
acid.... This structural difference within the same summative formula results in their ability to rotate polarized light in different directions.
[biophotons anyone?]

We therefore
distinguish between dextro rotatory
L(+)- and laevo rotatory (D-)-lactic
acid, and their lactates.

....Laevo rotatory lactic acid [D- type], on the
other hand, causes substantial
damage to normal metabolism. It
can result in intoxication, with
neurological symptoms, dulling of
consciousness and behavioural
disturbances. This is also the reason
why baby foods should never
contain either D(-)-lactic acid
or any racemate [combination of both lactic acids].

For a long time it was thought that
aching muscles were the result of an
accumulation of lactate. Today the
cause is known to be minutely
damaged and torn fibres.

Then is says:

quote:
In products
which are naturally fermented by
lactic acid (milk, sauerkraut, beans,
cucumbers) both forms of lactic acid
occur as a mixture, a racemate.

By dint of skilful inoculation with the appropriate lactobacilli it is possible to promote the formation of L(+)-lactic acid in such products. [the good stuff]

.....A nutritional adjustment has to
take place, with a move towards
a diet rich in vital foods, free of
products containing cow's milk,
hen's eggs and pork.

So, cow's milk products are generally out, unless they are carefully `cultured' to produce the proper lactic acid..... (wonder why eggs are out?)

Hmmmm. Is this the secret of Progurt?!!.... They've carefully cultured the proper lactobacilli to generate the formation of the `beneficial' form of lactic acid - the L(+) form?

And wouldn't this explain why it is so VERY crucial that UHT or ultra-pasteurized milk be used to insure that no racemates (mixtures of lactic acids) occur during incubation?

I REALLY encourage others to read this article that Selma posted about.

The Ron Schmidt's story is of interest, R62 - apparently he is a proponent of raw mild and nearly raw animal products. Much of what he talked about I could relate to from experience - things that should make me feel better really didn't, etc.

LP, that is VERY interesting..... I had no idea they could `monitor' lactic acid levels in the body, for starters. I think we've hit on something important here.

--------------------
Tracy

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Tracy,
I don't believe the average american gets tested for lactic acid levels. I only know that endurance athletes, particularly swimmers who swim distance events, like the mile or open water competitions learn to be aware of their levels. I would bet that runners do as well, like marathoners, although they don't have to deal with the resistance of water on their arm muscles as swimmers do with the lactic acid build up there.

I"m sure the Olympic Training Center in CO would have more info on this as they work with all high level athletes in each sport. They also are heavily involved in diet, nutrition, and hydration along with recovery. They probably could offer much data for any researcher.

This is interesting.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement