LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Progurt (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Progurt
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: We tried to incubate with sweetened hemp milk, and at 24 hrs the end product was still sweet so the sugar wasn't entirely converted to lactic acid.

We still stay with the unsweetened hemp milk

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, not trying to be negative, trying to understand. Will the progurt bacteria replicate in the gut. Scott talked about it colonizing and so you could taper down eventually. Does that mean it reproduces in the gut?

Finally, if I just want to start with sachet due to milk sensivity do I just pour the sachet in a glass of water and drink the whole satchel at once. I called the guy in Australia and he said to try 3-4 satchels per week without the milk, but I forgot to ask if it was one whole satchel at a time or to divide them up.

Anyone know? I hate to make another phone call.

Help, please. Hiker53

[ 04-27-2009, 11:29 PM: Message edited by: hiker53 ]

--------------------
Hiker53

"God is light. In Him there is no
darkness." 1John 1:5

Posts: 9008 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hiker53
Member # 6046

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hiker53     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is aseptic milk the same as UHT milk? Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

Posts: 9008 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why can't you just make yogurt at home?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can.

Make yogurt and you get the benefit of yogurt.
Make Progurt and you get the benefit of Progurt.

Two different things entirely.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMF says its human derived.. whats the difference between this and progurt..

http://www.rockwellnutrition.net/HMF-Intensive-no-FOS-Probiotics-by-Genestra-30-caps-NON-RETURNABLE_p_239.html

I didnt know these strains were human...

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know. Never tried it. Let us know if you do. So far, I've not seen anything else compare but worth a try. I took HLC Human Strain for awhile and didn't notice anything like with Progurt.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for m0joey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my metametrix GI function profile back:

bad/good bacteria in good balance
no parasites detected (they have the most sensitive DNA testing for parasites available)
yeast still +3 (very high)

So everything looks like it's in good balance. I wish I'd done this test before progurt to compare and contrast

Yeast has always been a huge issue for me, and although my doctor rarely sees it higher than +1, +2, she said before Progurt it may have been +4, +5

Posts: 713 | From Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hiker, I'm not sure on that, but suspect that `aseptic' milk would suffice. I can't answer your other question - does Robert answer e-mails? You might try that instead of calling.

Interesting R62.... I spent half an hour trying to sort out their probiotic products and came away totally confused. And why some have FOS and some don't is confusing, too. I looked up `constipation' and they don't recommend ANY of their probiotic products as helpful for that. I find that odd.

Well, I've been taking sachets of 100 billion CFU of gut flora for the past 2 days - just standard-type probiotics that we're all familiar with - and not much is happening. (That's the `bug equivalent' of a small bowl of prepared Progurt.)

Perhaps this proves that I am not a cow.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimmy
Member # 15883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Hiker53 & All

Just to give an update, I spoke to Robert at Progurt last night and he told me to pour a sachet into my mouth and then drink some water to wash it down, then drink a glass of water 15mins later.

Previously Ive been empyting one sachet into a large glass of water and drinking it all at once. I tried the way he suggested today and it is doable but it is a bit tricky too because the powder ends up getting stuck in your throat and up your nose making you cough before you're able to down the water!! I'm not sure why he suggested taking it that way and I didnt have a chance to ask him last night as it was very late.

Ive been taking the sachets (one a day) since Friday bar one day and as far as my reactions, Ive been having more bowel movements and I think I have more energy too which is good news... eg this morning I had more strength than usual, esp in my legs which did feel unusual (I am in stage 5-6 adrenal exhaustion). Progurt is the only new thing I'm taking at the moment so I'm pretty sure its down to that...Ive even stopped taking my thyroid meds to see the effects of the Progurt.

I think that it is stirring up candida & mercury too as Ive also been feeling more toxic in my head aswell, sometimes severely so tho I am not sure if that is completely down to the progurt.

So overall I definitely feel its doing something significant and will stick with it and will try making the liquid when my incubator arrives.

Take care

Posts: 85 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why the powder can't be mixed with water or something....?

The sachets I am taking - it says to mix the powder into applesauce or juice. I use applesauce and it works great.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kimwg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kimwg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI -- I have been taking 1 cup of Progurt for 3 days now, I have had a decrease in my diarrhea -- HOWEVER, I have also (coincidentally) been off Omnicef during that time while my doc switches me to Ceftin, so I can't say if the change is due to the Progurt or stopping the Omnicef.

Hopefully I will be able to keep the poops at bay once I start the Ceftin!

--------------------
Wildlife biologist working in tropics since 1997; tick bites in Nicaragua in March 2007, started getting sick May 2007; diagnosed with Lyme based on serological testing in Jan 2009; treatment starting Feb 2009. Wish me luck!

Posts: 116 | From Seattle | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

shimmy--

re: candida & mercury

that's exactly what happened to me

-joey

shimmy
Member # 15883

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shimmy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Joey,

Did it settle down after a while in your case?

Posts: 85 | From UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

I didn't exactly let it settle. Chelators/binders/bionic for candida
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Shimmy, I'd DEFINITELY continue to mix the powder in a glass of water and drink it..... taking ANY powder like that can be dangerous because it's so easy to aspirate it into your lungs. And BTW, last night I finally talked to the lady who will be carrying Progurt sachets in the USA (see other thread about that here at LN), and Robert told her to mix the powder in water and drink it. (This was before she had an incubator machine.)

Joey, your tests look good! Even your yeast appears to be responding.

I'm not sure I like the sound of stirring up yeast and heavy metals.... for starters, I'm not sure I would know the signs that this was happening. Besides, I haven't tolerated most of the binders that are often used, except fiber. I was hoping the Progurt itself would help with the elimination of this junk through the bowel. [Frown]

Something else I learned from talking to the `Progurt USA lady'....

If you use Ultra-pasteurized milk - or any milk that is refrigerated - you have to allow an additional 2 hours or so in the incubator. (Or perhaps you could let your refrigerated milk come to room temp before putting it in the incubator. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.) The incubators were designed to be used with UHT milk which requires no refrigeration. Therefore, it will take longer for chilled milk to come to the proper temperature to incubate the Progurt product.

I continue to have zero results with 100 billion CFU of `regular' acidophilis/bifidus product. In fact, I finally had to resort to taking some herbs to help things move on through. However, I did have a couple of days where my diet was pretty bad, so I know that was a contributing factor.

--------------------
Tracy

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Maybe it will settle down in time, but it does seem like a big risk to wait it out. The Progurt is a push therapy... we're pounding the gut with high dose beneficial flora, so there will be a redox reaction

I would definitely err on the side caution and take binders/chelators if you know for a fact you have metals.

Pectasol seems to be tolerated pretty well. I'm taking metal-free now which is on the expensive side but supposedly envelops metals rather than binds them and exits fecal route. If you want anymore suggestions feel free to PM

As for binders, the green clay that is sold at biopure also seems very well tolerated, and there is supposedly zeolite in there as well

-joey

shimmy
Member # 15883

Cheers Joey, yes you definitely have to keep on top of things! I'm taking the Dr Schulze formula with charcoal, bentonite clay etc, it is helping a bit.

Hi Tracy

Thanks for that, yes it doesnt seem to be a good idea to take it that way does it, I dont know why he suggested it. I think I will go back to just taking it in water, I'm pretty sure thats how he told me to take it first time round! Plus it seemed to work fine that way anyway.

It is difficult to know whats happening as it could be having an effect on other bugs in my gut but my intuition tells me its candida/metals... symptoms have been worsened brain fog, memory loss, decline in cognitive/analytical abilities, neurological symptoms eg my right arm starts to feel clumsy, a lot of irritability, feelings of unreality and feeling very detached from the world. I also start to feel worse in front of my computer and this has been happening too.

I am pretty sensitive tho and I have a big metal problem, I remember having a pretty strong reaction to kefir in the past when I took a small dose and the die-off was so bad I lost my memory so I was kind of expecting something similar.

I am definitely feeling some benefits tho too so its not all bad :-)

Progurt does help to eliminate but maybe as it works so well in eliminating candida it is inevitable that metals are going to be stirred up too.

Thanks for the extra info re the milk, thats good to know!

LittleLymie19
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleLymie19     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know of a binder that doesn't actually bind ya up?

My issue with toxin binders is that I've found them to be very constipating, which is counterproductive in the detox process.

I'm thinking of starting progurt soon, but I know I have an extremely heavy metal load so I want to get all of these minor details sorted out before I order.

Posts: 710 | From West Coast | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

I've heard that the green clay doesn't constipate like regular ol bentonite clay. If however you do get constipated, ground up flax seed is supposed to help.

However, I've been taking glucomannan (konjac fiber) for the last year,and it has never bound me up. it's water soluble so it works different from the other binders, but supposedly just as effectively. Glucomannan is actually the only true toxin binder I've taken for the last year... since pectasol and chlorella both go into the bloodstream. We need both kinds--binders that bind to chelated metals in bloodstream and pure fiber fibers that mop up the gut

Clancy
Member # 8774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Clancy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Truthfinder, Besides having to keep the progurt in the machine for an extra 2 hours when using the ultra pasteurized whole milk, did the "US progurt lady" say it has to be boiled also? Thanks.
Posts: 67 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
as far as i know chlorella doesn't bind you up. it sometimes has the opposite effect, in fact.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Well, my post just vanished into thin air....

Welcome, Shimmy.

Little Lymie, I have the very same problem with most binders.

Thanks, Joey - not heard of most of that! Where do you get the glucomannan?

Clancy, the 'US Progurt lady' did not boil the ultra-pasteurized milk. I'm sure she would have said so if she was told to boil it (by Robert).

Yep, chlorella - even the chlorella-p. from BioPure - can bind me up, but then I'm not exactly normal. Even ground flax seed is a problem, mostly that it causes a lot of pain no matter how fine I grind it up. Tried pre-ground stuff, too - same problem.

--------------------
Tracy

R62
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for R62     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When you make yogurt you warm the milk. Why wouldnt this be different?

You get more bang for the buck when you ferment the grains, right? They multiply when you ferment.

Posts: 861 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

R62, I'll be honest - I'm not altogether sure now much increase in volume of bugs you get when you incubate the Progurt. I suspect that it has more to do with converting the lactose into lactic acid and the additional benefits of that conversion..... but who knows. I may be way off base.

Along those same lines, though it may be possible to `culture' your own Progurt from a previous batch, I wouldn't do it. Two reasons:

1. I wouldn't want to culture any `errant' bacteria - it's always possible that some bacteria could mutate slightly and/or become pathogenic. That's the last thing I need. It's the pathogenic gut flora that may have gotten me into trouble in the first place. (I've studied a little about homeopathic Bowel Nosodes, and pathogenic gut flora is the basis for these remedies.)

2. It's also possible that a slight mutation or degradation of the bacteria would yield a different form of lactic acid. That would NOT be conducive to healing IMHO (see other info here about lactic acid).

--------------------
Tracy

eds
Member # 5700

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can culture any probiotic from a previous batch, but the mix of bacteria will change over successive batches because some bacteria proliferate easier/faster than others. Eventually, you would end up with yogurt that contained predominantly one or two strains.

All probiotic manufacturers are telling people they can't culture successive batches because people have been doing just that and it's depressed sales. Fact is, if it cultured in the first place, you can culture it from an existing batch. You don't want to do that more than a couple of times, but it is doable.

Most probiotic products probably have some contamination in them because the quantity of oxygen in the air is significantly lower than when people started making fermented products a couple of hundred years ago. Some manufacturers are controlling the oxygen levels in the vat as a way to improve the quality of the probiotics.

In order for probiotics to implant they have to be grown in a specific way in a colony. Most manufacturers don't do that because it is expensive and difficult and would likely lead to lower sales. Also, if your lymph glands ar clogged, then I've heard that the probiotics won't implant.

These are some of the things I uncovered by reading research papers and talking to people in the industry. I have not tried progurt yet, but will. I'll post my experience with culturing and taking it when I do.

Posts: 47 | From nj | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is everyone doing with progurt?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeparfait
Unregistered

Has Progurt caused herxes for anyone?

LP

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Eds, most of what you say certainly sounds right. What I'd like to understand better are things like human versus bovine-strain bacteria, the ability of our human systems to implant ANY kind of bovine probiocs, whether most commercial products are as beneficial as we are led to believe, etc.

I'll say one thing.... the 'non-Progurt' sachets that I've ingested now for 9 days have done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me. In fact, I'm so bound up right now I could scream. It's probably the dang commercial applesause I've been mixing it with - known to cause me problems, but you would think the 1 billion bugs mixed in there would sort of override that problem.

Whatever the problem is, I haven't gained a thing from the non-Progurt bugs.

--------------------
Tracy

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Here's something you might all appreciate.... I found this extremely disturbing.

Amateurs are trying genetic engineering at home
By MARCUS WOHLSEN (Associated Press Writer)
From Associated Press
December 26, 2008 11:44 AM EST

In her San Francisco dining room lab, for example, 31-year-old computer programmer Meredith L. Patterson is trying to develop genetically altered yogurt bacteria that will glow green to signal the presence of melamine, the chemical that turned Chinese-made baby formula and pet food deadly......

But critics of the movement worry that these amateurs could one day unleash an environmental or medical disaster. ....

http://tinyurl.com/c24wr2

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Truthfinder, are you saying that you are doing something entirely different from Progurt or taking the Progurt sachets but not in the normal incubated form?

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Something entirely different from Progurt.

It comes in little sachets, but it isn't Progurt (and it doesn't claim to be human strain, isn't designed to be incubated, etc.)

--------------------
Tracy

lymeX3
Member # 3423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeX3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just received my Progurt incubator and was not happy with the plastic insert. You should never use plastic with heat and a fat based food. You are eating oil for all practical purposes. All of us already have many environmental toxins and do not need to add to the problem. An old fashion GLASS quart milk bottle fits snug in the incubator. The bottle is about 3.25"x3.5"x8". I would highly suggest all using this device to switch to glass. You can find these bottles anywhere, even on EBay. Just my two cents, hope it helps a few.
[hi]

Posts: 43 | From Byron, MI | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Read their web site on what the plastic does NOT contain. I think they've already considered this. They are also working on a glass version as I understand, but I think if you read their web site, you will have less concern. Also, the incubator does not get very hot. Before suggesting people do something different, I would suggest understanding the company statement on their existing plastic. I don't think it appears to be all that bad and already considered by the company.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an experiment, I made a double batch of 24H Progurt in my other yogurt maker (Yogourmet).

It turned out fine, no discernible difference from my Progurt incubator.

--------------------
"Be it, don't dream it." -Dr. Frank-N-Furter

http://www.lymefriends.com/profile/zombie_mummy

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

There is no way for us to measure the probiotic viability in doing an experiment such as this. So, personally, for 70 dollars, it makes no sense to me why one would risk it.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Things the `USA Progurt Lady' told me:

The Progurt incubator was originally designed to hold the actual containers that 1-liter UHT milk comes in (in Australia), so no inserts at all were used, at first. So, it's possible that UHT containers in other countries are the same, and the Progurt could be made in those, as an alternative to the plastic insert.

The incubation is all about temperature for the Progurt. The Progurt should be incubated at a specific temperature. I don't know what that temperature is - you'd have to ask Robert. And again, if you start with chilled milk, you'll have to extend the incubation time.

Also, the USA Progurt Lady does intend to stock Progurt sachets as long as we ``Lyme people' want them, but nothing else at this point (no incubators, no prebiotic syrup, etc.). So, if you are interested in saving some postage on re-orders of product, you might consider ordering the sachets from her. (No, I'm not affiliated with her, don't know her, don't make any money from this, she's not a LymeNet member, etc. Just passing on information.) She got her e-mail link fixed so you can e-mail her or call. Here's a link to the order page:

http://www.betterway2health.com/onlinepg2.htm

--------------------
Tracy

dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any more updates on how people are doing with this?
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

Amy (from betterway2health) told me to inform the group she has progurt satchets back in stock. Not the incubator, just the satchets.
zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zombie_mummy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dan67:
Any more updates on how people are doing with this?

I feel I am still doing well with Progurt. My gut palsy is MUCH improved and I am gaining weight!

I am doing it along with other things, but feel they are all working together to boost my immune system and make me feel better.

--------------------

Posts: 196 | From Canuckistan | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

So happy to hear that ZM. I definitely believed this product was a remarkable one and that seems to be proving out. It is great to hear reports like yours. I continue to feel it is providing benefit as well.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

zombie_mummy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17402

Thanks Scott. I think that Progurt + my very careful starch-free diet are helping a lot.

I have also recently introduced lactic-acid fermented veggies into my diet and feel they are a powerful and beneficial complement to Progurt.

I just thought I would mention it because people have talking about lactic acid in this thread.

My doc sent me for a colonic and the technician recommended I try fermented veggies. I figure she has good insight into bowel issues...

--------------------

mupersan
Member # 19683

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mupersan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys!

Been reading all the posts in this thread now, but can't find anything about dosing/consuming.

How much Progurt do you consume?

Huge doses the 2 first months and then "maintenance"-consuming at 350ml daily ?

Posts: 39 | From Denmark | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I stared with about .5 to 1 full liter a day. 1 liter the first 2 weeks. Now I am at about 1/4 - 1/3 liter a day.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

I started with 1 liter too, after about 2 months have come down to .5 liter
hiker53
Member # 6046

I do not understand why people are starting with such a high dose of progurt. When I talked to the company they guy recommended 1/2 cup per day. You are still getting a lot of bacteria with 1/2 cup. One liter of progurt according to their site is like 1,000 capsules of probiotics. Who would take 1,000 capsules of probiotics in one day?

I also don't understand why they say to avoid other yogurts or probiotics. Even if a probiotic is bovine, why wouldn't that be okay, too.

I did talk to the company, but the nice man spent most of his time talking about sea salt and evading my questions for some reason.

Glad it is working for you who are using it.

Hiker53

--------------------
Hiker53

m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

This starting dose was recommended by the founder of the company. Both initial dose and .5 liter dose checked with muscle testing.
'Kete-tracker
Member # 17189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 'Kete-tracker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's amazing how many posts the mention of this particular product has generated.. & it's always on Pg 1 or 2 of Med. Q?s. Wow.

Now... not to knock it at all but Please Try my sister's hi-school classmate's product: Stonyfield Yoghurt (from NH). Add it to your yoghurt diet mix. I alwys found it to be good stuff. Been buying the plain quarts since 1985.
Available at supermarket chains in most major cities. thankyou [Big Grin]

Posts: 1233 | From Dover, NH | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dan67
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20344

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dan67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've tried calling the company numerous times and gotten either voicemail which they never return or a message saying the inbox is full. Am I dialing the wrong number or what?
Posts: 641 | From Nevada | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

dan--you are aware the company is based in australia right? So be sure you're calling during office hours aussie time
hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hobokinite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wish I found this thread a few days ago. I started the progurt at smaller levels than Scott and Joey thinking less is less good but not bad. After 3 days I had so much gas pain and reflux I thought I must be super allergic to milk.

After reading these posts, I relize that all that was from the war going on in my gut. The good guys fighting the disbiosis.

So, I will go back to making it with milk. I did Soy this batch even though they don't seem pro Soy over at Progurt. DId I read coorectly that someone was using hemp milk?

How did that go?

Posts: 462 | From Newnan, GA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
m0joey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13494

The hemp milk has gone well for my family member. If your gas pain & reflux doesn't subside, I am not positive you should be making it with regular milk. I do believe some people are truly allergic.
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can be allergic to casein in the milk ... so even though the lactose may not be a problem in the Progurt, the casein might. If you have gluten issues, it's even more likely that you have casein issues too.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

So far, it seems few people are having a problem with Progurt - even with dairy.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, yeah, didn't mean to suggest there were. [Smile]

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hobokinite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm. What about coconut milk or young coconut water? That has fat and sugar.
Posts: 462 | From Newnan, GA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Has anyone had any additional phlegm or mucus issues with Progurt made with milk?

(I'm assuming no since it hasn't been mentioned, but this is something I get from even small amounts of cottage cheese, yogurt, etc. - not just unfermented milk products.)

Also, are there any Progurt users who ARE NOT using the prebiotic that the Progurt people sell?

I did find some ultra-pasteurized goat's milk here locally. I don't know if I'd do that first, or try the cow's milk first. Well, at least I have options....

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

I've learned some important points in making Progurt recently. There was some initial confusion about Horizon Organic milk being good enough for making Progurt and that is what I had been using. The batches, though still somewhat beneficial, were coming out watering and lumpy.

In working with Robert, we measured temperatures at various times during the incubation process, etc. and found no problems. Then I read the milk bottle and it was not UHT but just regular Horizon organic. NOT good enough.

Apparently, there are still bacteria in such a product that when incubated will compete with the Progurt bacteria and result in a less powerful batch...and less appealing texture/consistency wise as well. In this event when the batch is lumpy, Robert suggested I toss it as it was not properly made.

It's best to start with room temperature milk - UHT only.

So now, I use only:

http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Valley-33-8-Ounce-Aseptic-Cartons/dp/B001FA1LW0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=grocery&qid=1244764557&sr=8-2

Steps I am using now:

1) Wash the tub AND lid between each batch in the dishwasher.
2) Wash hands with soap.
3) Do not touch the inside of the lid or tub with your hands.
4) Put in 1/2 a tub of the UHT milk above from the 1 liter box it comes in.
5) Add the Progurt sachet.
6) Stir with a chopstick for 20 seconds
7) Add the remaining milk.
8) Cover with the lid
9) Incubate for 14 hours

That's the current steps I am using and I can definitely tell a difference.

If you do not use UHT milk, then you have to:

1) Boil the milk
2) Simmer for 15 minutes (need to find my notes on the number of minutes to validate)
3) Cool to room temperature
4) Make as per above

Hope that helps.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Any reports from my progurt friends?
hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

I swicthed to trying Goat's Milk, Soy and even Hemp Milk. Isee no great changes. FOr the expense, it hasn't been a wash for me. A firend without Lyme is taking it. SHe had real bad candida and a totally white tongue. After a mointh of Progurt, noi more candida tongue and she can eat almost any food now. Has been great for her!
SForsgren
Member # 7686

I found a MAJOR increase in benefit of the product after going to UHT Milk. If you are not using UHT milk, it isn't the full power in my experience. As for Soy, Hemp, etc., I don't think they produce a full-benefit product either.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

hobokinite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6132

I am gonna try with UHT milk again, making sure it is room temp, over 16 hours of fermentation, etc. Using the brand Scott recently suggested. The last time I tried it with milk I had extrme gut pain, thinking I may be alergic to milk (even though teh AI test said no). We shall see.
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Some comments I received today via email from a lady I believe with Lyme that is using Progurt:

No more ringing in my ears, memory and thinking better, sleeping so much better, less pain in knees, more energy, no relapse in several months, sometimes 2 bowel movements a day, no more hip or back pain, hair loss ended . . . .

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

WOW. [Smile]

Hobo, how much Progurt are you consuming a day?

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Zombie, are you still using Progurt? Would like to hear how you are doing with it. Thanks

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

lymeparfait
Unregistered

How is everyone doing?

I am having trouble finding the UHT milk!

Anyone know of resources for this near NJ?

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

LP, are you looking on the shelf in the canned milk department? It comes in a 'box'. I found it at only ONE store - a big discount store (Walmart). They have it at Amazon.com if you can't find it locally.

A close 2nd option would be 'ultra plasteurized' whole milk in the refrigerator section. It's so devoid of microbes that you can't even make cheese with it. I found that at one grocery store here.

(I'm not doing the Progurt, BTW - it seems I've got gall bladder malfunction so trying to get that working better first.)

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

I order my milk for Progurt from Amazon.com. You can get Organic Valley UHT there.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

runner21
Member # 1974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runner21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know the distributor that is here in the US? WHat is UHT?
Posts: 1118 | From jacksonville,fl usa/santa rosa ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runner21
Member # 1974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runner21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Zombie, how does the progurt compare to your GI prohealth starter?
Posts: 1118 | From jacksonville,fl usa/santa rosa ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

UHT milk is pasteurized at an 'ultra high temperature'. It needs no refrigeration (at least until opened.)

Here's the link to the order page for the USA Progurt supplier:

http://www.betterway2health.com/onlinepg2.htm

--------------------
Tracy

SForsgren
Member # 7686

The USA progurt supplier does not have the incubator as I understand. I've been getting mine direct from Progurt.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Correct, Scott. She only carries the Progurt sachets (packets).

--------------------
Tracy

lymeparfait
Unregistered

Amazon's price is over 80.00 for 12 cartons, most is shipping cost!

Was looking t see if I could find it anywhere more locally.

I have been all over my area looking for it.

I have been using the Organic Valley WHole MIlk in the refrigerator section for th epast three months...just thought I wuld try to find the cartons of the UHT again, without paying the Amazon rate.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

I was able to order it with free shipping at the time. Some Whole Foods carry it.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement