LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 18)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenthebeetlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to ask if members could share their herxing symptoms. My son has been diving now for 3 weeks. He says he feels drained and depleted of energy. He also complains that his whole body aches, as if the nerve endings are bruised. Often times, he experiences a dull pain in his intestines. And, during the first two weeks, after his dives he would tell me he felt a pressure or heaviness in his chest which was accompanied by coughing. Have any of you experienced similar symptoms?

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Posts: 21 | From arizona | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karenthebeetlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to ask if members could share their herxing symptoms. My son has been diving now for 3 weeks. He says he feels drained and depleted of energy. He also complains that his whole body aches, as if the nerve endings are bruised. Often times, he experiences a dull pain in his intestines. And, during the first two weeks, after his dives he would tell me he felt a pressure or heaviness in his chest which was accompanied by coughing. Have any of you experienced similar symptoms?

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Posts: 21 | From arizona | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Karenthebeetlady, sorry your son is herxing.

I recently had a lot of chest pain which would be sharp at times and achy at other times-right side near sternum. It left after 4 weeks and I still don't know if it was a herx or GERD (since I'm now on supplements for that.) I didn't have coughing, only pain.

I'm 80 dives in so relatively new, but have periods of more intense herxing, followed by periods where I just feel a little fatigued and foggy. I had been out of my chamber for a week, to see if that would help with the chest pain, so think the increased herxing is from that, and now have a lot of joint/bone pain, stiffness, breathlessness, fatigue, and anxiety/mood shifts. Lots of water and activated charcoal helps; hoping it's only a rough week or two and not another month of hard herxing.

Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karenthebeetlady,

I had to send my chamber in for repairs and was without it for 2.5 weeks. I'm now on day 5 of 1 hour dives with 02 and I'm experiencing significant fatigue. It's not my typical Lyme fatigue but more of a sleepy fatigue. I'm 99% certain it is from diving again and thus is a type of herx.

Also I do deal with dull to moderate stomach pain off and on.

If these are new symptoms since he has starting diving I would take that as a good sign [Smile] . Might not be what a young fella wants to hear though.

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a couple of questions also. I started full hour dives with supplemental oxygen on 3/14. Did 13 dives and experienced a few problems with chamber that we fixed. Restarted on 4/4 and did 11 dives when I got sick with a bronchial infection.

Finally, restarted today. The question I have is do you lose progress if you have to miss a period of time from diving? My next question is I feel some symptoms coming back that had "resolved" like stomach pain, nausea, and anxiety. Plus an increase in restorative sleep. Could I be herxing already? I've only completed 25 dives.

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soccermama,

I think the general belief is when you first get going (the first 6 to 12 months) it's important to be a consistent as you can. Missing days can take away some of the progress. At times it can't be helped but personally I NEVER miss a dive unless I have no other choice.

Posts: 120 | From Maine | Registered: May 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Karenthebeetlady, is it possible to back off on the length of time that he is diving? Is he using O2? When I originally used my chamber, I felt awful. It was long ago enough that I can't tell you specifics. This time I started low and have been going slow. Starting with 15-30 minutes and no O2. It has been much more successful this time around. Less intense negative symptoms.

I am concerned about the chest pressure with coughing symptom. Does he have asthma? Hopefully, Phoiph will come along and address that issue.

I have had the dull pressure in the intestines feeling. It does not last long. Might be pressure from gas/flatus?

If I start feeling too awful from herxing, I take a day off. It gives my body a break.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Susank, It is not clear from your post whether your dry eyes and dry mouth are specifically related to diving. If they are symtpoms you had prior to the dives, this is rooted in iodine deficiency. Supplemental iodine will correct this for you.

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Jolley, Monti and kgg, Thank you all for weighing in on my question. We did take two days off and started back up with the dives. He is in for one hour and up to 3.0psi. The heavy, pressure like feeling in his chest is now minimal, as is the coughing. Fatigue and the feeling of being drained of energy is still present. Interesting someone mentioned mood swings, I am definitely seeing that, as it's often directed at me...lol. I have been reading some of the pages in this very long thread and see that flu-like symptoms are herxing and I would say that's pretty close to what he is experiencing, so I think this is a normal reaction.

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by susank:
How can the O2 be dehydrating?
Not from the pressure, right - but the O2 from the concentrator?

(FWIW I have dry eyes/mouth so know about low humidity, wind, not putting my face to a fan, etc.)

Why do some folks have trouble with the O2 from the concentrator - and do better with pressure only? (separate question from dehydration).

Also.......could someone explain why getting to 2 PSI is more difficult (for some) than getting from 2 to 4.2?

Thanks.

Susank...

--Higher oxygen = lower humidity (this is from the concentrator, not due to the pressure). Once you start using the mask, you can use goggles (optional) to avoid the 02 that leaks from the mask from blowing into your eyes. I use inexpensive safety goggles from Home Depot that have a strap, and no vents in the sides. These also fit over reading glasses.

--Some people are very sensitive and take longer to adjust to the 02, but find they improve with just pressure, as it raises the 02 to a lesser degree. It is not known if they will do even better with 02 added, given the time to adjust.

--The pressure change per foot is the greatest at shallow depths...so as you "dive deeper", theoretically it will become slightly easier on your ears.

I just read about this product, "Clear Ease" recommended by a scuba diving instructor which uses "natural enzymes" to help the ears to clear. I don't know anyone that has used it, so can't speak for it:

http://www.amazon.com/Grossan-Clear-ease%C2%AE-Enzyme-Tablets/dp/B00139OIG4http://www.amazon.com/Grossan-Clear-ease%C2%AE-Enzyme-Tablets/dp/B00139OIG4

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by soccermama:
I have a couple of questions also. I started full hour dives with supplemental oxygen on 3/14. Did 13 dives and experienced a few problems with chamber that we fixed. Restarted on 4/4 and did 11 dives when I got sick with a bronchial infection.

Finally, restarted today. The question I have is do you lose progress if you have to miss a period of time from diving? My next question is I feel some symptoms coming back that had "resolved" like stomach pain, nausea, and anxiety. Plus an increase in restorative sleep. Could I be herxing already? I've only completed 25 dives.

Soccermama...

I agree with Monti...consistency is key, especially early in treatment.

mHBOT is cumulative, and it takes a number of consistent treatments for the effects to begin to "stick". It is like exercise in that way...it takes awhile to become conditioned.

I didn't take any days off for the first year, and when finally did, it was only a 5 day vacation, then right back to diving. I dove daily for 2-1/2 years (with a few short vacations), at which time my body told me that I could reduce the frequency, and still hold my gains. This has turned out to be true (in fact, I was without my chamber for over 6 weeks straight recently due to travel for family issues). Had I been inconsistent in the first year, I don't believe I would have become completely well.

And yes, you could definitely be "reacting" at 25 dives. (I don't use the word "herxing" much, since I feel this reaction can better be thought of as your "immune system coming online" and starting to do its job...:)

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

"And yes, you could definitely be "reacting" at 25 dives. (I don't use the word "herxing" much, since I feel this reaction can better be thought of as your "immune system coming online" and starting to do its job... [Smile] "

That is a very neat statement because the fatigue I feel is just like when I am fighting a bad cold which is very different from typical lyme fatigue. It's more of a sleepy fatigue as if my body is saying "hey, we have some work to do. How about you rest for a bit and let us fix a few things" LOL

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccermama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK. That's what I thought. Both times I had to stop due to circumstances beyond my control. Once due to a chamber issue and the second time due to sinus congestion which made it impossible to clear my ears.

Your response answers my other question which is if you begin to feel "worse", you dive your way through, instead of taking a break.

Thanks for the help!

Posts: 538 | From kentucky | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

soccermomma...

During the period when you're working up to full pressure/time (before you start diving consistently), it is OK to go more slowly or to skip a day if necessary if you're having a very intense reaction.

Once you are through this period and are up to full pressure/time, then it is crucial to be consistent. You will definitely still have a 2 step forward, 1 step back pattern, but your body will have had a chance to adjust to the treatment.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Exactly, Monti!

It's not always as much about mHBOT killing the bugs (which it can do), but more about our immune systems healing...

I have heard it said that no type of "anti-biotic" can work without a functional immune system helping out.

Also...it is not unusual to start experiencing colds, flus, etc., when the immune system function improves...

Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Has anyone experienced a 'burning' feeling all over their body or in specific areas, like an arm or leg from mHBOT therapy?

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

My right forearm has felt like it had a sunburn a few times. It wasn't from mhbot directly but I am pretty sure it was Lyme related. I asked about it a while back on this forum and sure enough some people have experienced it.
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At susan k....have you tried ozone ear sufflation or garlic drops For your ears ?

Karen ,yes i have been getting burning feeling in hands ..

does retracing through sx happen with mhbot too?...

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

bluelyme...

I experienced retracing of symptoms with mHBOT...in general, the latest symptoms resolved first, and the earliest symptoms last.

I also experienced this in the mental realm, going back to what I thought were resolved issues from years past...even childhood.

Fortunately, each phase of the physical and mental "trip down memory lane" was less intense and shorter lived than the first time around...

dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Susan, try supplementing with coconut oil from trader joes, rub around eyes and take internally for the dryness. I have found this to be the best and it's a good price.
Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Susan K. Everyone with lyme will eventually develop hypothyroid. Dry eyes and dry mouth are specifically related to iodine deficiency. You can add more iodine rich foods to your diet, or supplement with Lugols; however, if you do use an iodine supplement, you'll also need the companion nutrients, magnesium, vitamin c and also selenium.

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Monti and Blulyme, What do you suppose is causing the burning? Is it some sort of die off?

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Karen...
I'm not really sure. The first time I experienced it I wasn't doing anything to cause a herx reaction. For me it just seemed like another obscure lyme symptom.

Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

Thank you, Monti.

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Susank...

Not sure if you saw my post earlier re your question about people diving w/out supplemental 02?

IMO, it is most important right now for you to focus on increasing your pressure as your ears will allow. Next would be to work on increasing time in the chamber, and finally adding mask time in increments. Your goal would be daily, 1 hour dives with full pressure and 02 w/mask.

I think it is best to let the 02 flow in while you're working up, but if you decide not to use your concentrator, remove the tubing and replace it with a brass screw. If your chamber didn't come with one, here's what you need from the hardware:

threaded brass pipe screw
1/8 - 27 NPT (national pipe thread)

Reminder: Always have your concentrator ON whenever you have pressure in the chamber. One way to remember this is to have your concentrator ON whenever the zippers are closed. Turn it OFF only after the zippers are open.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

No worries, SusanK...you're doing great.

If screw is in place, your concentrator cannot be hooked up to the chamber, and therefore would be OFF.

soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

How long do you "react" from diving? I'm experiencing a return of stomach pain and nausea as well as anxiety. I've not had these symptoms to this degree in several years.

It makes my mornings completely unproductive and then seems to get manageable as the day progresses.

I was given a z pac for my bronchitis. I took two pills on Wednesday and it has been off to the races ever since. I had terrible, loose stools just from two pills. I never had loose stools when I was taking ongoing antibiotics.

Then, the nausea, stomach pain, and anxiety started. Yuck. I just want to see a steady incline toward health because it's hard to gauge improvements when it's back and forth.

Just needing some encouragement that this decline is actually good and not a blackside to hell.

kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soccermama, a z pack is notorious for stomach upset and gi disturbances. I would think that may be the cause of your renewed problems. Not sure about the anxiety though.

Unfortunately, I don't think a steady incline of recovery is realistic. Phoiph as said that it is a two step forward one back pattern. Do you chart your symptoms and time? I think that is a good way to see your progress.

Hang in there. You will get there!

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Soccermama...

In my experience, over a period of time, mHBOT did kick start my stomach acid production again (which had been nonexistent)...and you can certainly "feel" this happening...but the acute stomach pain an nausea does not sound like a typical mHBOT reaction to me.

I agree that the likely culprit was the z-pack...it sounds like it did a number on your gut.

The gut issues can definitely cause the anxiety.

I would focus on gut healing foods, like meat/bone broth, good fats, and also probiotics and fermented foods to help rebalance gut flora...

Also...have you tried DGL licorice losenges? Slippery Elm powder?

[ 04-28-2016, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Phoiph ]

susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dive #5. Made it to 2 PSI.
Stayed there a couple of minutes.
Still with O2 tubing loose in the caboose.

Want to try a few times w/o suppl. O2.
Got the brass plug today.
Not sure what to do with it tho.
Pho - will need your help with this.

Presently there is a brass thingie the tubing passes through. Not sure what to do with that one.

Remove it?
Screw the new one onto that one?

I don't want to touch anything until I know what to do.

Thanks again everyone's help.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
IGM 18,28,41,66 IND: 23-25,34,39
IGG 41,58 IND: 39
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

SusanK...

Unscrew the brass fitting that attaches the concentrator tubing to the chamber port.

Remove the tubing from the chamber.

Insert screw in port to plug opening.

Karenthebeetlady
Member # 47866

soccermamma, VSL#3 is an excellent probiotic that will keep your GI in check during antibiotic therapy. You can get it at Walgreens. Also, Sacchromyces Boulardii, will get rid of yeast caused by these drugs. Yeast overgrowth will cause anxiety.

--------------------
Karen j. Dame

spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone split their dives into two 30min sessions instead of 1 60-min chunk? Or would the benefits be lost doing it this way?
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccermama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 35101

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, I definitely think the Z pac did something. But I think something else is going on.

I might be in a flare, although I haven't had those symptoms in a long time. It is very reminiscent of when I first got sick.

Karen, I have both VSL #3 and Sacchromyces Boulardii and have been taking them since this weekend.

It has been mentioned on this site that the chamber can cause a resurfacing of symptoms so maybe that is what is going on.

That's the crazy thing about this disease. There are so many unknown variables. But I'm on day 5 and will keep pressing on.

Nothing so far has managed to get me into complete healing so I'm hopeful.

Kristine001
Member # 47901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristine001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post...I'm 16 years with Lyme and have managed to get by, mostly, on just the GAPS diet.

MCS keeps me from doing more. Rife and homeopathy were ineffective.

For a month I've been going in a Solace at an NDs office, twice a week for 50 minutes.

I feel really weird for 2 days after, very energetic and somewhat agitated. Is that normal?

There is a slight herx feeling, but mostly not.

Also, the ND doesn't use a mask, says he has the oxygen concentrator installed in line somehow so that the whole chamber fills with oxygen.

Is that safe? Effective? He says that's how the company taught him years ago.

Anyway, I would like to purchase my own chamber, have PM-ed Phioph (if I did it right).

I'm so sensitive that I can't imagine diving daily, will have to start low and slow like so many of you.

Posts: 22 | From HI | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Welcome to the thread, Kristine001. I get that wired feeling off and on. I have found diving mostly to help with my energy, but sometimes it tires me too.

Many of us just start out with the oxygen just flowing in the chamber without a mask. The goal is to eventually wear the mask for 60 minutes.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi spinning123...

From what I have been told, it is more therapeutic to do a one hour dive, rather than 2 thirty minute dives with a break in between.

That said, it is also more therapeutic to do a 30 minute dive at full pressure, than a longer dive at lower pressure. (That's why it is generally more important to work up to full pressure first, then increase time, then add the mask.)

Spinning...I haven't forgotten to answer your email...I'm currently a little backed up...:)

spinning122
Member # 42223

Icon 1 posted      Profile for spinning122     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input, as always, Phoiph! Take your time with the email, there's obviously no rush [Wink] still chugging along..
Posts: 96 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susank
Member # 22150

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susank     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Checking in.
Did two dives this week.
One I managed to get to 3 PSI for a few minutes.
This evening I got to 3.5 PSI.
Now thinking getting to 4.2 will be OK after all.
Was real worried about that.
I'm a bit congested but think I'm figuring out how to pop my ears - finally.
And to figure out what it feels like/sounds like when they pop.

I had an appt. yesterday with allergist/immuno - suffice to say I will be off IVIG/SCIG for three months. (Will discuss this another topic).

I'm kind of relieved about this. Perhaps I have been having awful side effects from it. Three months off should let me know - and am hoping not to go back on it.

Also did not want to be on it while starting mHBOT - the less weirdness I put in my body - the better.

That being said.......I worry about getting infections and am concerned about allergies.
I want to do IV Vit. C again.
Not high doses - but just enough.....
OK to do with mHBOT?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Posts: 1613 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

I vote "no" to the IV Vitamin C w/mHBOT.

Too much, high potency "artificial" antioxidant (I.e., not from food) can theoretically counteract the necessary effect of the free radicals to fight pathogens.

There are studies out that are showing that taking large amounts of antioxidants in isolation is not good in general. You can do as many antioxidant foods as you want.

IMO, best to keep your protocol as simple as possible when doing mHBOT. Instead, focus on the basics: living a clean lifestyle (reduce toxic exposure, reduce stress, more sleep, etc.), improving diet (a huge factor), increase movement like gentle yoga, and mHBOT...

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Phoiph

I have 2 questions

1. How many dives in a chamber before I should have it checked by the manufacturer?

2. I had that toe surgery January 25th which included scraping of the bone, cut tendon and a pin down the length of my toe from the top to the base in the bone to hold the toe straight for 5 weeks. While the pin was in the toe I was not able to put any pressure on the foot at all. A month ago the doctor took an X-ray because I was still complaining of pain in the first joint. There was some fibrous material growing in that joint so we talked about doing some massage on that toe to help facilitate healing.

This week I returned for a check up and to tell him I continue to have pain in the first joint as well as the joint at the base of the toe. We took another X-ray and found a pocket that appears to be forming on the first joint bone that he thinks is now arthritis and the bones now look like they are becoming porous on the first and second joints.

My first thought is that because I had no real blood or O2 flow to the toe for 5-6 weeks that the Lyme bateria congregated in that area and are doing some damage. The doctor is perplexed and would like me to seek out a second opinion with Dr B and see what she thinks.

Any thoughts??

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Peimomma...

1. There is no need to have the chamber checked unless you are having issues with it (e.g., not holding pressure due to a seal leak, zipper problem, etc.). (General note: There are simple ways to troubleshoot leaks before sending in the chamber for an expensive repair...)

The concentrator, on the other hand, requires routine filter cleaning at home every week or two, depending on conditions.

It is also a good idea to have the oxygen purity and pressure tested by a technician yearly.

2. I know you visit AZ sometimes. If you were to get down to my area, I think it would be worthwhile to have a consultation with my neurologist/HBOT friend here. If it is a bone infection, it could warrant higher pressure HBOT for a number of sessions...(?).

Peimomma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peimomma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Phoiph, as usual a wealth of great information.

No issues with the chamber at all and we have over 700 hours to date.

We are building a house in AZ and it will be completed in Dec And ready to move into. I have been applying for jobs down that way at Luke AFB as I feel really ready to get my feet wet in the work force again.

I will be in the area in 2 weeks time from the 23 May to possible the 31st if needed. I can see about having the X-rays sent down with the reports?

Posts: 233 | From AZ | Registered: Jan 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Phioph...
What's involved with cleaning the filters on the concentrator? Is it just simply pulling them out and taking them outside to shake loose the dust?
Thanks!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Peimomma...

Awesome! Just email me and I will give you her contact information. I can also give her a head's up...

Monti...the filter on the outside back of the concentrator (the plastic mesh) can be removed and washed in warm water and a little dish soap, rinsed, and air dried thoroughly overnight. You can also take it outside and clap it between your hands in between washings.

There is an internal felt filter on some models that will need professional servicing after 5,000 hours. This would likely only be a concern on a used model...as it would take years to reach 5,000 hours at the rate we use it (remember these concentrators were designed for 24/7 use)!

Monti
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 45718

Thank you Poiph! I know you have explained that before but it would take hours to locate the post lol!
Phoiph
Member # 41238

This is a long thread!
susank
Member # 22150

I think I may have a problem with the chamber.

Tonight my ears cooperated so decided to let it go to 4.2 PSI.
I put my glasses on to see exactly when the gauge hit 4.2 - which would be my first time - and a red letter day.

I waited and waited. The pressure maxed at 3.8.

Got out/zipped it back up to test w/o me in it.
Same thing - max 3.8.
It started hissing/releasing at 3.8.

When I first got the chamber and tested it - it went to 4.2 and that's when it started hissing - IIRC.

Doubt would make a difference - but I don't have the O2 tubing connected now - have that hole plugged.

I tried to troubleshoot - only thing I could find was that the compressor was hot - on the top - the metal parts.

Thoughts? Dang it............

To edit/add: Perhaps I have misunderstood the max PSI I should see on the gauge/how high the pressure goes. 4.2 or 4.0? Anyway, tonight it only went to 3.8.

Again - I previously had maxed at 3.5 due to my ears.
When I got the chamber/tested it ~two months ago it had the O2 tubing in the chamber and no gauge extender.
Now no tubing but has gauge extender.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

susank...

You first need to check your compressor connection. Take the tubing off at the chamber and compressor, and reattach it, making sure it clicks.

Next check the gauge connection to make sure it is screwed on snugly (as well as the nut behind it).

Also check the plug to the 02 port.

Now, from the outside, zip the chamber shut, making sure to smooth the gasket in between the zippers, and also making sure both zippers are closed all the way (by pushing each all the way closed with your finger). ***Make sure the zipper tabs are flat and aren't creating a bulge which will let air pass through.

Turn valve ALL THE WAY to inflate, and time the rate of inflation. It should take roughly 6-7 minutes.

Check gauge; and if not reaching 4.0-4.2 PSI, feel and listen around outside of chamber for air escaping (especially check zipper ends and around connections). Feel around window seals, etc.

Let me know what you find out...

susank
Member # 22150

Thanks Pho. Will do.
Curious why it would start hissing/releasing at 3.8 - like it thinks it's at 4.2.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

It usually does start hissing a little before 4.0...you may just not have heard it. It is easier to hear from the outside of the chamber.

Just make sure that hissing is actually coming from the release valves at the foot of the chamber, and not the valve or any of the other connections mentioned above.

Kristine001
Member # 47901

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kristine001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new Oxyhealth chamber is arriving Friday, I'm so excited! 16 years with Lyme and MCS is quite enough.

I expect I will have to let the chamber off-gas for a couple of weeks because of the MCS. Can it be set in the sun to speed things up?

Also, I have friends who want to get in the chamber. Are there liability issues? Should I be asking for their doctor's permission?

Posts: 22 | From HI | Registered: Apr 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Kristine...

Please don't put your chamber in the sun! You can off gas it in the shade (providing there is shade all-day), as long as it is not too hot.

The tubing seems to need more off-gassing than the chamber.

You can also pressurize the chamber and let it run for a few hours at a time, and this will accelerate the process. Be sure to detach your oxygen concentrator and plug the port.

Do make sure your friends have prescriptions for both the chamber and 02. You should also have them sign a release of liability.

susank
Member # 22150

Checking in - rough week - migraines?
Tonight I finally was able to test the chamber.

It maxed at 3.8 PSI both times I tested it.
Once with the O2 port plugged.
Once with the O2 tubing in place.

It inflated in 6-7 minutes (Solace).

I could not detect any air escaping.

I got in the chamber - still with the O2 tubing connected. (had been diving w/o it).

Maxed at 3.8.

I decided to feel around the inside of the chamber - knowing I wouldn't find anything that way - but.........I briefly placed a finger over a "port" and felt some suction.

The hand on the gauge went a little nuts - but then calmed down and settled on 4 PSI.

(Realizing the "suction port" was the underside of the gauge.. ).

I tried this a few more times - just briefly - two seconds max each time - and same thing - back to 4 PSI - if not a hair less.

Not sure what to think about this.
Something with the gauge/extender maybe?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Susan...

It could be a sticky gauge, but there is one more thing I would try...

Inflate the chamber (from the outside), and when it is up to pressure and the valves at the foot start hissing, give it a few firm knocks near the valves. They may be a little sticky...

susank
Member # 22150

Thanks Pho.

Valves at the foot of the chamber......I noted one seems to blow harder than the other one. ???

If in the chamber - would be the one on the right.

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

Phoiph
Member # 41238

That is how it is supposed to be...the two are set differently, but the louder one is not necessarily on the right or left.
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of today I am at 201 dives. (116 of those being full dives.)

I now have times (days in a row) where I feel better. I am still crashing frequently though and returning to all my troubles.

I have to look at the overall picture, and what I used to be. It definitely has helped me and I do love my chamber.

I actually have times where I enjoy life again!! They are brief but ohhhh so lovely!!

AAAAAAND I am not on any antibiotics!!! That's right not even ONE. I don't think they are doing/did much for me.

Maybe the mHBOT is keeping me from worsening?

A major concern I have is that ever since starting mHBOT I get the strangest brain "misfires." ( promise I am a very SANE sort of person...)

I now hear "crashes" occasionally esp. when my brain is relaxed. Sometimes (again... when brain is relaxed)I get weird pop up thoughts that are almost dreamlike in quality.

For example, in bed this morning my nephew suddenly popped into my head and said SLEEP! I wasn't remotely thinking of him or anything. I was fully awake, but drowsy.

It is soooo strange and I worry I am losing my brain!!! [Frown] mostly I hear "crashes" that sound kind of like a bomb going off in the noggin.'

This hasn't happened EVER...but since hyperbaric this has slooowly crept in. I was wondering has anyone else had this problem?????

Phoiph, I know you have had some weird neuro jazz. Can you explain how it was for you and when this went away? Do you think mHBOT could make this worse???

My dr. must be right when he said mHBOT doesn't affect Babesia. I was good with night sweats and air hunger for a while off meds but they came roaring back a few nights ago. I am went back on crypto and am thinking to go back on Babesia meds. GROAAAAN.

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW just FYI I have been like three months off abx.

Oh and Phoiph, my concentrator seemed to develop a bit of a rattle... like it sounds congested, almost like the blower is rattling. Do you think I should get it checked? I never got it checked then.

I had a hard time finding someone to look at it without spending zillions of dollars.... [Frown] The company said they would look at it but would charge me anyway... even if nothing was wrong.

It is a new airsep concentrator. THANKS a MILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been on LymeNet since 2005. I don't post much as I try to keep the drama in my life to a minimum!

I'll introduce myself at a later date but suffice it to say, I have done over 400, one hour mHBOT dives in my Vitaeris Chamber with considerable improvement in my condition.

I just want to say to Susank that there should be no suction at the pressure gauge port. That is where your leak is. Probably one of the connectors in your "extender" but it could be a leaky gauge too.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kristine001
Member # 47901

I received and set up my Respiro yesterday, and it is off-gassing. How long have others run it before getting in?

I couldn’t find instructions for hooking up the O2 concentrator to the chamber. Any tips?

Also, when fully inflated the gauge reads just above 4. Am I supposed to open the release valve a bit so it stays between 3-4?

Thanks!

Jolley
Member # 46454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jolley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just hit 100 dives and overall have had improvements with energy since beginning. At times, I feel more mentally clear and at other times I feel worse and my mood is just really up and down.

I feel so achy and breathless everyday, which has been worse than before I started diving. My doctor thinks I may have mast cell activation disorder, so I'm wondering if a lot of high histamine foods were making me worse. So far, a little less than a week on a no histamine diet and I feel improvement.

Does anyone else have a similar experience? mast cell/ histamine issues?

Posts: 64 | From Washington | Registered: Aug 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kristine, the OxyHealth tanks are designed to go to ~ 4.2 psi.

The only reason to lower the pressure is if you need to go slow due to your unique condition, intolerable herxing, or not being able to clear your ears.

FWIW, I started at full pressure but only did 30 minutes for the first month.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jolley
Member # 46454

Foxy loxy, glad you are getting some relief.

I don't hear crashes but I do have a lot of moments of intense emotions (anxiety) and startling, at times it feels like time speeds up and is going to come to a screeching halt, but that is typically short lasting.

There are times when I've had vertigo too where I feel like items are falling above me, or I am tipping over.

Jolley
Member # 46454

Just hit 100 dives and overall have had a lot of improvements with energy since beginning. At times, I feel more mentally clear and at other times I feel worse and my mood is just really up and down.

I feel so achy and breathless everyday, which has been worse than before I started diving. My doctor thinks I may have mast cell activation disorder, so I'm wondering if a lot of high histamine foods were making me worse. So far, a little less than a week on a no histamine diet and I feel improvement.

Does anyone else have a similar experience?

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Jolley, how is it I am ahead of you in dives? I thought you were a patriarch before me?? [Smile]

Glad to hear you have more energy. Yeah, the anxiety and startling is me too. Hateful! [Frown]

Thanks for chipping in, Digby! That was encouraging to hear your report...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Foxyloxy...

I can totally relate to the crashing/explosion sounds, as I had that as well. It was jarring, to say the least.

Google "Exploding Head Syndrome", and it will describe this condition as "benign", possibly related to mild brain wave abnormalities when entering REM stage.

It resolved for me over time with mHBOT.

I do think you need to have your concentrator checked due to the rattle. Isn't it still under warranty? I would contact the vendor (not the company).

Please PM or email me if they don't take care of it, and I'll give you contact information for someone who can advise you.

Congratulations for getting off your antibiotics. mHBOT is usually a 2 stage process for many people....stage one is becoming strong enough with mHBOT support to wean off the drugs (with doctor's approval), and phase 2 is moving forward with deeper healing.

Also, remember that I had full blown Babesia, and it eventually resolved with mHBOT. This process definitely took more than 116 full dives to complete...

About the neuro/brain symptoms...

Here's an article that describes (very last section on "Personality Changes") how there can be shifts in neuro/brain activity when an injured brain is healing via mHBOT, as different parts of the brain may be targeted at different stages, etc. Although this may not be exactly what you're experiencing, it does suggest a reason why things can get a little strange for awhile...

Hyperbaric Oxygen and Depression: https://sarasgarden.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Depression-HBOT.pdf

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Jolley...

Please also refer to the article above about mood swings, etc. (last section) while going through mHBOT.

At 100 dives, you are still in the very early stages of healing, and I would expect you would have mental and physical ups and downs. When your immune system starts to function more, it will make you feel more achy, etc.

That said, you're right...it is very important to get a handle on diet and any food triggers and focus on healing the leaky gut through diet, as it can be a huge strain on the immune/overall system...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Hi Kristine...

Let's talk again via phone before you actually start diving...so we can work out how to work up slowly.

Your concentrator should have come with a hook up kit and instructions in a plastic baggie. I can walk you though it...but for now, just leave the plug in the port and don't hook it up while you're off-gassing your chamber.

Some people off-gas it for a couple of weeks, running it periodically for an hour or two at a time...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

quote:
Originally posted by Digby:
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here but I've been on LymeNet since 2005. I don't post much as I try to keep the drama in my life to a minimum!

I'll introduce myself at a later date but suffice it to say, I have done over 400, one hour mHBOT dives in my Vitaeris Chamber with considerable improvement in my condition.

I just want to say to Susank that there should be no suction at the pressure gauge port. That is where your leak is. Probably one of the connectors in your "extender" but it could be a leaky gauge too.

Hi Digby...

Glad you're here! Also glad you've had success. Have your 400 dives been fairly consecutive?

Regarding the gauge...both my chamber gauges have a very slight amount of suction from the port behind them (on the inside of the chamber) but the gauges read 4.2...

That could definitely be Susank's problem though if she is feeling a strong suction there...

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Phoiph, Yes, as close to consecutive as possible. I have missed a day or two a month and a week or so a couple of times for other reasons.

Re: Pressure gauge, I also had suction at the port but it is completely gone after I reworked my gauge extender connections. However, it is common for these cheap gauges to leak a little bit. If it is holding pressure, then it doesn't matter.

Re: Exploding Head Syndrome, I've experienced this three times and it is a bizarre thing. It sounds like a 45 caliber gun has gone off in the middle of your head. Woke me from a deep sleep one time. All three were before HBOT. Haven't had it happen since starting treatment.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Wow guys!!! You can't believe how relieved to know I am not nuts!!! I am so excited my problem actually has a name. I googled it and Exploding head syndrome is definitely what I have.

Phoiph, so relieving to know you have experienced this and came through ok. Thank you so much for that plug. As long as I am not permanently damaging my brain I am ok with continuing.

I just worry, because It seems hyperbaric has really brought out neuro/brain issues... BUT having said that...

It has helped some with the gnawing nerve sensation that grinds and grinds and grinds till I think I shall go bonkers!!!! [Frown]

Digby, weird mHBOT helped your EHS and mHBOT seemed to bring on mine. We are all different...

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Digby...

Good to know about the gauge.

It makes sense that technically it should work like a tire pressure gauge with no air escaping...

Jolley
Member # 46454

Phoiph, that article was great! Thanks for posting, it was so relevant to what I was experiencing and nice to see that others have that happen as well.

On a different note, so excited about Harch's research. Thinking of all the veterans who are regaining their lives.

Digby, thanks for checking in, so glad you are doing well.

Foxy loxy, that is funny, I am newer to mHbot than you [Smile]

susank
Member # 22150

Thanks re: possible leak.

It's probably the extender since all worked fine before attaching it.

I'll get engineer neighbor to look at it/connections.

Until then - it's OK to use?

Not understanding the suction from the gauge port.

I thought that might have something to do with how the gauge measures the pressure. ???

I guess not - but now I'm curious - how does the gauge measure the pressure?

--------------------
Pos.Bb culture 2012
Labcorp - no bands ever
Igenex - Neg. 4 times
With overall bands:
Bart H IGG 40

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement