LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » The Microscopy Thread (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   
Author Topic: The Microscopy Thread
dal123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6313

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dal123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which microscope are you using? What about the one from Michael Coyle?

When you put a drop of blood on the slide do you then take a needle and crush the cells to make the bugs jump out. Then put a cover slip on the blood and view in microscope?

Posts: 532 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reichert & Zeiss scopes.

I show ya how to make a slide here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ1scQdbmtg

You can also gently press down on the slide afterward & before putting on oil. Do this to make the field of view even narrower & ultimately sharper.

Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatdudefromkansas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Lymedin, I remember watching that video when I first picked up some bulbs to try out. However, I went with what I could find at Wal-Mart and Home Depot.
Posts: 163 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymedin2010     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many that work, but the important thing to look for is DAYLIGHT white light (5000K), as it comes out clearest & best in recordings.
Posts: 2087 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Guys--- Well I finally bought the Amscope Trinocular, and my very first view of my red blood cells looked almost exactly like this ( one hour ago) (I don't have the a camera set up yet) Except that the black spots were a tad bigger in size, and my red blood cells looked more irregularly shaped and clumped than these ones:

-

I guess I am really sick based on an initial view of my blood.. [Frown] [Frown] I did not want to admit it.... but pictures do not lie.

Sadly, the 100 objective is not that great for my Amscope (its a bit dark and a little bit fuzzy)--- I was counting on this--- but the 40 objective is super clear/bright and and I could clearly see the black spots in about 65-70 percent of my red blood cells. I guess these scopes are all about the lens.

I scraped a small morgellons lesion and looked at the blood under darkfield--- it was absolutely beautiful!! It looked like an amazing fractal.

Well I'm guessing Bartonella may be my biggest problem-- most of my red blood cells are massively infected. The black spots are quite large. There were also some kind of balloons inside many of my cells
Ill post pics when I get the camera--- but I may return this Amscope trinocular or purchase a different 100 lens for it-- since this 100 lens is not that great.
Any suggestions on an excellent brand of 100 objective lens?

Thanks for all your posts regarding microscopes---At least I finally made the plunge..!!!!

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thatdudefromkansas   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WakeUp, which Amscope did you get?
I use an Amscope.
Once you get used to using it and figuring things out, your skills will greatly improve and you might be impressed what you are able to get out of it.

Also, if you don't want to put any money into a better 100x lens, you can get eye pieces that will increase the magnification.

The standard is usually 10x, but you can by 15 and 20 also. So you can get a resolution close to 1000x without spending nearly the same amount of money.
Just a thought.

Posts: 163 | From USA | Registered: Oct 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Which model did you buy exactly?

That image above was stained, did you stain your blood sample? It may be artifacts.

"Fig 1. Write –Stained Bartonella bacilliformis in blood of an Oroyo fever infected human (Source: The Prokaryotes)"

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WakeUp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kansas---Thanx for the encouragement--- I was disappointed with the 100 lens but perhaps its my lack of experience. This is the Amscope I got: (I know I overpaid, but I just had to take the plunge and start-- )

AmScope T490B-DK Compound Trinocular Microscope, WF10x and WF20x Eyepieces, 40X-2000X Magnification, Brightfield/Darkfield, Halogen Illumination

Lymed2010-- Well Im very new at this, but I'm almost positive those black spots inside the red blood cells were not artifacts....... but I will the buy the stains and keep looking.

But ---- my blood looks like total crap!!!! No wonder Im in bed most of the day.

Posts: 696 | From New York | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by WakeUp:
Hi Guys--- Well I finally bought the Amscope Trinocular, and my very first view of my red blood cells looked almost exactly like this ( one hour ago) (I don't have the a camera set up yet) Except that the black spots were a tad bigger in size, and my red blood cells looked more irregularly shaped and clumped

Way to go for taking the plunge! Don't be too discouraged, this tool will help give you some direction once you get accustomed to what you are looking at. The giemsa staining is EXTREMELY helpful I have found.

If you were only looking at live blood, it is very possible that those RBCs were merely crenated, not infected. I have found live blood great for seeing the ketes, but staining much better for differentiating objects. If you get a bunch of purple dots on your RBCs on a giemsa stain, then you may have cause for alarm.

Welcome to the gang!!

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

WakeUp,

That is the exact same microscope I use.

I have added a 100x Oil Immersion lens for Darkfield at 1000x, which also required a new condenser.

However, pick up a set of 20x eyepieces if you want a greater magnification without the extra cost. I was pleasantly surprised with the resolution from the 20x eyepieces, with a dry dark field condenser.

thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Also, upgrade the light for dark field. The bulb was not nearly bright enough.

Take Lymedin's advice on bulb, and get a cheap 10 dollar lamp from wal-mart or something to use.

I use a 30 dollar LED headlamp, i think 1600 Lumens, but adjustable.

thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Oh, my bad. Just saw that it comes with 20x eyepieces.

And then remembered that is where I got mine.

It does it's job, trust me.

thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Perhaps I'll make a video demonstrating my setup, and set it to private (might have my face in it)? For y'all to view.
bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Way to go wakeup...dude that would be most insightful..you all are on the front lines!
on the staining can the chemicals be purchased w/o commercial liscence ?...is a fixer necessary?

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Yes, you can purchase a majority of the stains anywhere, and some are relatively cheap.

Look up staining kits on Amazon. Gram Stain kits, Giemsa/Wright, etc.

Methanol can be purchased if you use that as a fixative, etc.

You start running into trouble finding stains when you get into the more specialized stuff.

thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

Yes, you can purchase a majority of the stains anywhere, and some are relatively cheap.

Look up staining kits on Amazon. Gram Stain kits, Giemsa/Wright, etc.

Methanol can be purchased if you use that as a fixative, etc.

You start running into trouble finding stains when you get into the more specialized stuff.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

False spirochetes p2, my next video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhG9gMp_SJk

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by thatdudefromkansas:
Also, upgrade the light for dark field. The bulb was not nearly bright enough.

Take Lymedin's advice on bulb, and get a cheap 10 dollar lamp from wal-mart or something to use.

I use a 30 dollar LED headlamp, i think 1600 Lumens, but adjustable.

True--- the problem with the 100 objective is the lack of enough light.. One of the reasons why I hesitated to purchase the Amscope was the fact that I had read reviews saying that scopes with LEDs (not halogen) lights are much better and brighter-- and this Amscope does not have a led light. I will try to supplement my light with a bright lamp first-- and then perhaps buy the headlamp.

Ill also buy the stains--- but I am quite positive that I saw the dark spots inside my red blood cells -----without a stain!!

I had fiddled with the fine focus---- and then the black spots inside the cells suddenly came into view-- it was stunning-- these spots were not outside of the cells.

This also explains why I have had burning on my feet for the last 6 months-- a classic sign of bartonella. My immunity has also been poor in the last few years--- and Bartonella is an immune suppressant. I have been bitten by at least 3 ticks over the past 25 years, and have had 2 bullseye rashes, and one smaller bright red rash from these bites...

A few years ago I successfully diagnosed Cedar Rust on my Gala apple trees---- by just using 1 sample diseased leaf--- and then comparing it to dozens of online photographs of different apple tree diseases--- and BINGO --- it was cedar rust (rust colored spots on the leaves)!

I had several Cedar trees growing--- right next to my apples- and I had no idea that the cedar trees were infecting my apple trees with spores... Pictures are worth a thousand words.. Anyway, I planted Liberty apples were are resistant to cedar rust. (The Gala apple trees all died!!)

Its very gratifying to find the source of a problem---- and not to have to shell out thousands of dollars from so-called "tree experts" and "doctors" ---- who often provide a wrong diagnosis----- after taking lots of your money.

I am researching Bartonella herbs/treatments now--- but will see if I can get pics of the dark spots inside the cells--with and without staining. I might even consider trying to find out which strain of Bartonella it is with a decent blood test, once I have replicated the results several more times..

The camera is coming soon.

Have a great weekend.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by Lymedin2010:
False spirochetes p2, my next video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhG9gMp_SJk

Wow--- nice resolution and video. I like the cute white blood cell.

The red blood cells at the beginning of the video do not look normal and healthy though!! Normal and health red blood cells should be round, of the same size and not configured in clump like chains--- as is the case in your video.

The cells are showing rouleau (sludge blood) which indicates undigested sticky protein-- meaning the red cells are not charged negatively (repelling each other properly) , and are thus not repelling each other as they should--- and instead they are clumping in the long chains visible at the beginning of the video-- which probably means you have low energy. The red cells do look pretty healthy though, even though they are in chains-- their shape is nice and plump with smooth edges-- far better than how my cells look. (My edges are smooth, but the shape of the cells is not round/plump-- instead a lot of my cells have a smooth irregular blob shape with black specks inside.)

I saw a video of live blood of before and after drinking barley grass juice-- and the positive effect on the blood rouleau was amazing in just one hour. This effect can also be achieved with pycnogenol, and supposedly with mangosteen (or was it noni?) juice. Exercise also causes red blood cells to separate from their chains and to declump. Pancreatic enzymes also help with the digestion of proteins-- so the stickiness of the red cells is lessened and chains fall apart.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Live Blood video--- before and then 30 days after taking pycnogenol/digestive enzymes. (The lady had chronic fatigue syndrome)

Massive rouleau is shown at 4 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEzo-P_Spqo#t=19.892241754

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Oh Lymed2010--

Another thing I noticed in your most recent blood video was that many of your red cells have a weird paisley or carrot root type shape--- when they should be nice and round and plump. This paisley shape is not normal, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUnxB6Vyz-U

I think Dr. Chambers in the video above believes that weird paisley shape is due to a parasite. (at about minute 6)

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Only the first 2:30 is the untreated blood (pre-heat). This was a wetter mount than usual, as I thought the heat would lyse most of the rbc's.

When you see rbc's standing on their sides, it means the slip cover was not compressed as much & there is space between slide & cover for clumping. If I create a thinner smear & compress the slip cover, then it does not look as bad.

Take a look at my blood here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFl_Fq0CsYE

Also, if one takes venous blood & not finger prick blood, then it will look healthier as you don't have to squeeze the finger & cause some trauma.

All depending on what you ate, drank, & meds you took before extraction, blood can look different. The slight changes in preparation from slide to slide can also make it look different too.

What do you think about this blood?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAR-QtUv8w

TNT
Member # 42349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
This was a wetter mount than usual,...

When you see rbc's standing on their sides, it means the slip cover was not compressed as much & there is space between slide & cover for clumping. If I create a thinner smear & compress the slip cover, then it does not look as bad.

Also, if one takes venous blood & not finger prick blood, then it will look healthier as you don't have to squeeze the finger & cause some trauma.

All depending on what you ate, drank, & meds you took before extraction, blood can look different. The slight changes in preparation from slide to slide can also make it look different too.

I agree. It's interesting the conditions some people try to "diagnose" by just the appearance of the RBCs on a particular sample. What I have found after looking at perhaps hundreds of samples is that the amount of rouleaux and crenation depends almost entirely on the volume of blood under the coverslip.

Try this experiment for comparison: Place two drops of blood on a slide, one on each end with enough margin on the ends that your coverslips will not extend over the ends of the slide.

On the one side, use a very small drop of blood; on the other, use a large drop of blood. The large drop will easily spread across the area of the whole coverslip, whereas the small drop won't even reach the edges. Then look at both samples.

In the large drop, the RBCs will have much rouleaux and crenation, but on the small drop, they will appear round, evenly spread, and healthy.

Posts: 1308 | From Eastern USA | Registered: Oct 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Yes, I have seen similar results TNT.

-1 drop 37% HCL on 1 drop finger pricked blood.
-400x w/cam zoom.

RBC's & WBC's have lysed. String-like objects observed, but no definitive signs of spirochetes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piAShlOGtko

1 drop of pure vinegar (higher PH than HCL...less acidic) produced no spiros either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHc8XdBnNWI

Although, my subsequent tests with diluted vinegar produced tons & tons of spirochetes & tons of SOP with subsequent bleb release into the blood plasma. Video to come eventually.

Freezing blood for 24 hrs did not produce any spirochetes that emerged out of cysts either as I suspected might happen after long term observations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbj7tTqUeCI

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Ooops-- it was Goji juice--- (not mangosteeen juice) that rectifies the blood Rouleaux "stickiness" problem (sludge blood) seen in live blood, within 24-48 hours-- according to this live blood video presenter, who is supposedly a Johns Hopkins trained medical doctor (hopefully not paid to sell Goji):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vhHe55s9rg

The narrator basically says that blood rouleaux is also related to blood acidity. Another way to alkalize is to take 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in a quart of water or just drink trader joe's alkaline water.

So far I'm not seeing much Rouleaux in my own blood--- nor is there any crenation (scalloped edges)-- but my RBCs are oddly deformed, and I am still seeing little black dots clinging to the outside of the red blood cells-- although not as many as yesterday. (I saw 15 cells with black dots attached per screen today, plus I think I might have seen two spirochetes with bulbous ends.)

One of those live blood experts was saying that live cells with scalloped edges usually indicate some sort of toxin in the body and/or oxidation. Goji has one of the highest antioxidant levels (Orac score--Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) of all juices.

Pycnogenol also has a very high Orac score. It would be interesting to see if Goji or Pycnogenol supplementation for a few days can reduce the scalloped edges and rouleaux seen in live cells.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

I put baking soda in my coffee every day & brush my teeth with baking soda.

Noni juice will have a similar effect & are touted by some Lymies.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

MD with microscope demonstrates major increase in blood Rouleaux and spicules 20 minutes after patient ingests 200 grams of sugar, including corn syrup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QinveDTLMGQ

So it seems there is controversy as to whether Rouleaux and spicules are simply a function of cover slips/slide preparation, or whether they reflect a "process" going on inside the body.

I guess Im undecided, but my gut tells me that this doctor is correct, though obviously the way one prepares a slide is also of importance..I can't see either Rouleaux or crenation happening within 2 minutes of the time blood is drawn though. They probably come out of the body this way.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
I put baking soda in my coffee every day & brush my teeth with baking soda.

Noni juice will have a similar effect & are touted by some Lymies.

Yeah I thought about doing that too because I drink a LOT of coffee and it is very acidifying which is bad.. on top of red wine which is also acidifying.

But instead I try to drink a green drink every day, after the coffee. Can't taint my Pete's Major Dickinson Blend with baking soda. LOL

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

No, I agree, but the prep can change & influence the outcome too.

"All depending on what you ate, drank, & meds you took before extraction, blood can look different. The slight changes in preparation from slide to slide can also make it look different too."

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by thatdudefromkansas:
My headlamp goes through AAA batteries like the cookie monster does with cookies. Batteries are expensive.

But I did notice, with darkfield, that the LED light, at the same lumens as a regular bulb, provided much better results both to the eye and with my DSLR.

Which bulb do you use currently?

I'll have to post some pics of the LED lamp I built. It is a bit redneck-ish, but works pretty well. Great for viewing, but not quite as good for photography (the LED bulb from Walmart works great for that).

My homemade light runs off 120V AC current, so I don't have to worry about burning through batteries. I purchased the applicable AC to DC adapter, then ran through a dimmer, then out to my CREE LED chip. It's a 10W LED chip, so I screwed it down against a heat sink with built in fan and used heat-sink paste between the chip and heat sink for heat dissipation. I can let it on all night and it doesn't heat up. It's great for doing time-lapse (which I still haven't really done much of because of camera). I didn't run the fan wires through the dimmer, so the fan stays on the whole time it's plugged in. The light runs through the dimmer.

I also screwed a glass lens down over the top of the chip to give a more focused beam since I was not going through the frosted accumulator lens or neutral density filter lens that was necessary to remove to use the homemade LED lamp.

All the parts came from Amazon, and I think I may have $40 in it. You do have to know how to solder your wires to your chip (which anyone of us can do).

I used the 10W CREE LED chip that was 6500K, so it's very white. A 5000K or 6000K would easily do, and as Lymedin has suggested, would probably be the best.

Maybe tomorrow I'll post some pics of it, if you promise not to laugh.

I also made a parfocal tube/adapter (out of PVC fittings and tubing) for my trinocular port that accepts a 23mm c-mount adapter. It fits real nicely and does a great job, too. It cost maybe $6 compared to nearly $50 for a machined parfocal tube/adapter on EBAY. And, using the right fittings, I can make the length adjustable to fit my needs depending on the camera I use.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Looking forward to seeing it. I have tried my phone on the scope & a camera on the scope, but I found both inconvenient compared to the relative quickness of USB recording & viewing on the PC. Better video, but a lot longer to perform tasks.

Time lapse pictures as opposed to direct resolution was a game changer in quality, but one needs to spend time stitching all the images...again more time.

I have not played with the above too much & did not get maximum resolution because of the having to drag the scope next to the TV for proper focus. The smaller screens on the electronics are hard to judge focus.

I have also tried various LED mini-flash lights & a LED halogen bulb. The USB cam does not interpret the light very well & it looks horrible on all of them. Nothing beats the DAYLIGHT 5000K of the LED bulb so far, but the CFL daylight is even better.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Here is my Sony a6000 video of my blood with NaCl addition, but the video is not maximized.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shbAhRgfx1U

Has anyone tried the vinegar + water method, as I mention before this produces plenty of spiros & SOP. More than what I have seen on one slide than my entire time of observing spiros & SOP's in my blood since I started observing them.

Vinegar + water formula to produce tons & tons of spirochetes & SOP's.
1) Take 4ml filtered water + .4 white vinegar. You can mix any amount as long as it is 10:1 ratio of water to vinegar.

2) Add 1 drop of this mix to the slide & then add 1 drop of blood on top of the vinegar drop on the slide.

3) Smear the two across the slide to make a wet drop perparation.

4) Seal the slip cover with vaseline if doing 40x objective or immersion oil if doing 100x oil.

In 24 hrs you should see a good amount & in 36 hrs even more. They keep on coming out for days on end & then the blood will be littered with blebs after SOP formation disperses them.

[ 04-29-2016, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Lymedin2010 ]

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Wow-- Lymedin2010--- your dispersed red cells look very healthy and clean in the video above. Have you made changes to your diet since you filmed your classic "My Horrific Lyme Blood" video? Or is this cleaner looking blood just slide prep in your estimation?

I saw what looked like only 3 spirochetes at most--- dangling off your cells-- and most of your red cells looked plump, uniform and round, with the exception of a maybe just 2 Degmacytes-- "apple bite" cells and only a couple of what look like crenated or Echinocytes (Burr Cells look like a Hedgehog).

"A degmacyte (aka “bite cell”) is an abnormally shaped red blood cell with one or more semicircular portions removed from the cell margin. These “bites” result from the removal of denatured hemoglobin by macrophages in the spleen...... Glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase deficiency (G6PD), in which uncontrolled oxidative stress causes hemoglobin to denature and form Heinz bodies, is a common disorder that leads to the formation of bite cells."

(Goji or pycnogenol (or anything with a high ORAC) reduces oxidative stress.)

Here is a guide I found on a few illnesses associated with different morphologies of red blood cells-- it might be useful for us:

https://theartofmed.wordpress.com/2015/09/05/morphological-abnormalities-of-red-blood-cells/

Cheers--- and I liked the music in the video.

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Nothing beats the DAYLIGHT 5000K of the LED bulb so far, but the CFL daylight is even better.

I definitely want to get my hands on one of those CFLs to try for myself!

If you could mount your A6000 "closer" to your scope I'm sure you could get some "STELLAR" images and video with a bit more magnification.

Are you using a lens between your camera and scope? I just started mounting my camera without a lens and I get a MUCH better image without the distortion from the lens.... the greater advantage being not having the microscopic debris on the lens I couldn't really get off.

If you are using using a relay lens, you are probably sacrificing clarity and magnification (when using a camera with an exposed processor like on a mirrorless or CCTV camera).

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Oh--- I may have gotten "Borrelia Hunter" and "Borrelia Tamer "-- on youtube-- mixed up... if so my apologies... its hard to keep track of all these different names...
TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by WakeUp:
Oh--- I may have gotten "Borrelia Hunter" and "Borrelia Tamer "-- on youtube-- mixed up... if so my apologies... its hard to keep track of all these different names...

Same guy- namely Lymedin2010! [Cool]

I like the music on that last video, too!

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

I added NaCl to my blood in the last video. The description is in the Youtube comment section & I describe what I used.

"-Zeiss Laboratory 14 microscope 40x / 0.65, 160 / 0.17 Objective & Zeiss Condenser 0.9 & lighting from a house lamp with 5000K CFL DAYLIGHT bulb between original light source & condenser (daylight proper Kelvin temperature bulb is VERY important).

-1 drop of finger pricked blood + 1 drop .9% NaCl ~30 min after preparation (Notice how nicely the cells are dispersed due to NaCl).

-Sony Alpha a6000 camera + Sony "NEX" camera mount to Canon "E" mount adapter + Amscope CA-CAN-NIK-SLR (the Amscope adapter fits both Canon & Nikon DSLR's & can fit any other DSRL with an additional adapter). This whole setup fits INTO any standard eyepiece (trinocular port, or any of the dual eyepiece port, or even a monocular port microscope for a cheap purchase). Output was simultaneously sent to TV via micro HDMI. Sensor is an APS-C & video recording at 1920x1080 60i. If one does time lapse PICTURES & not video then the max resolution will be 6000x3376, better than video & you can string the pictures in the free MS Movie Maker application (link below).
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...

Video settings are at default & ISO auto. Video is a bit washed out and it is best to set auto ISO to manual & lower the ISO (to the light source) for improved video. This Sony camera has a time lapse app in its app store for $10 & makes a great overall cam for family pics, video & microscopy until its 4K successor comes out.

Here is a review of the camera & these cameras can be had much cheaper on Ebay:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony...

-The NaCl addition seems ideal for the dispersion of RBC's & makes it ideal to view blood spirochetes, BUT I find that it stagnates the spirochetes & I see less of them come out in the plasma. Maybe it forces them into cysts within the rbc? Quite the opposite happens when I use the vinegar + water method (filtered water + .2-.4 ml vinegar), as the decrease in PH makes for some explosive viewing & forces many spirochetes out of the RBC's & many of them into the String of Pearls formation as well."

TNT
Member # 42349

Here are the pics to my DIY LED lamp:

-

-

-

-

This is on the very lowest brightness:

-

TNT
Member # 42349

And, the pics of my DIY parfocal tube that receives 23mm lens or c-mount adapters:

-

-

-

And, with my dual view adapter on at the same time:

-

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Sweet setup. Did you get that dual scope I linked you to way back when?

The LED has a blue hue, is that a problem on camera? Does the LED got hot? My LED bulb on a lamp gets inserted into the back of my Reichert & then gets reflected by mirrors to the condenser in the front. Practically no heat at all & it is time lapse heaven!!!

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Sweet setup. Did you get that dual scope I linked you to way back when?

The LED has a blue hue, is that a problem on camera? Does the LED got hot? My LED bulb on a lamp gets inserted into the back of my Reichert & then gets reflected by mirrors to the condenser in the front. Practically no heat at all & it is time lapse heaven!!!

It's a decent scope to start out with. No, this was a scope I found but I have added to it by collecting components in great "box-lot" deals. For instance, the dual-view adapter came on a teaching 10 series scope that had both heads (4 eyepieces), came with two CCTV cameras, (one of which was usable and I'm using- the Sony), and a c-mount parfocal coupler with lens. Don't choke, but I got that scope and all accessories for $80 (plus shipping)!

My light is actually very white....perhaps so white it could appear blue. I think the high color temp does make it less ideal for photography, but is great for viewing.

The light barely gets warm on the heat sink (with fan). I think it's rated at 900 lumens. I put current to one of those chips to see how long it would last off a heat sink, and it lasted no more than 5 seconds.

Your Reichert is a higher-end setup with the lamp assembly outboard of the scope...that's nice and definitely preferable, especially for time-lapse.

I recently gutted the OE lamp housing that I removed and am in the (slow) process of customizing an LED setup that will take the place of and bolt up to the bottom of the scope as the original. That way I can use the diaphragm and neutral density filter the scope came equipped with. It's not priority, so it may be a while till I get that done. I'm hoping that I will be able to make it so that it doesn't create and transfer much heat.

TNT
Member # 42349

I just noticed that new member "aspara" has deleted his posts on the previous page. I'm glad I quoted some of his comments.

I just want to bring to everyone's attention to be very careful sharing any personal info, contact info, or sensitive info with new members that have not been established very long. I had sent "aspara" a link for stain by private message, and in his reply he told me to reply to his "personal" email claiming he didn't use the email on his Lymenet account much and that it was fortunate he had seen the message.

HUH? Kinda strange to use an idle email account for a new Lymenet account don't you think? Well, that sent up red flags immediately and of course I didn't respond to his "personal" email address.

Just be aware. There are people (perhaps in high places even) trying to exploit personal info from us to do us harm and perhaps to try to undermine our microscopy efforts here concerning borrelia.

I hope I am wrong about aspara being a troll...but just be careful everyone!

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Good to know.

TNT, there are many people all over the world that are checking their Lyme blood now. Information has spread near & far.

Many have created their own groups & their own experiments now. Some share with me aside from the groups we are in as well. The know-how has now exploded.

It is far beyond this group here.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Awesome video of a spirochete burrowing out of a rbc with some aggression by another Lymie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDV4TliIHg

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Originally posted by TNT:
I just noticed that new member "aspara" has deleted his posts on the previous page. I'm glad I quoted some of his comments.

I just want to bring to everyone's attention to be very careful sharing any personal info, contact info, or sensitive info with new members that have not been established very long. I had sent "aspara" a link for stain by private message, and in his reply he told me to reply to his "personal" email claiming he didn't use the email on his Lymenet account much and that it was fortunate he had seen the message.

HUH? Kinda strange to use an idle email account for a new Lymenet account don't you think? Well, that sent up red flags immediately and of course I didn't respond to his "personal" email address.

Just be aware. There are people (perhaps in high places even) trying to exploit personal info from us to do us harm and perhaps to try to undermine our microscopy efforts here concerning borrelia.

I hope I am wrong about aspara being a troll...but just be careful everyone!

Yes--- definitely--- I had that happen to me a number of years ago here--- I was "hunted" and taunted by a person who googled my email as posted in my profile here--- and then researched everything about me-- (he got a lot of his facts wrong... lol) and then he began to call me at 1 am-- and hang up, and he published ad hominem attacks about me all over the internet-- not that it hurt me because I was already disabled by then....LOL..... Other female Lyme warriors were also harassed by this person.. Whoever these highly paid "stalkers" are, they will eventually be exposed as more and more truth about Lyme is revealed.. Lyme is now widely being viewed as involving some sort of a government coverup ---- and hundreds of thousands-- if not millions--- of people who are frustrated and looking for answers about Lyme disease-- and about all spirochetes' effect on healthcare in America.

Microscopy is very threatening to these stalkers because it exposes the nonsense the stalkers have put forward to the public as the lie that it is. (One example of a lie:--" lyme is easily cured by 2 weeks of antibiotics"... when Spirochetes are clearly visible in the blood of those who have been on antibiotics!!!..) Microscopy exposes that lie for what it is: nonsense.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

Oh--- Here's an interesting guide to red blood cell abnormalities. I'm figuring if I can fix most of these abnormalities I'm seeing in my own red blood cells( tear drop, agglutination, burrs and schtocytes), my cells will be healthier and less prone to infection. Kind of like the" terroir" approach to growing healthy and delicious wine grapes--- fix the "terrain,"--- add nutrients--- and grapes resist disease.

-
http://www.medical-labs.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Summary-of-red-blood-cellsmorphology.jpg

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

quote:
Awesome video of a spirochete burrowing out of a rbc with some aggression by another Lymie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wDV4TliIHg

Totally awesome videography.

Glad people in France are waking up.

We will find a cure.

WakeUp
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9977

One last red blood cell abnormality chart for your interest/review-- I find it interesting that the "malarial infected" cell is lumped in/similar to Bartonella and Babesia on this chart:
 -

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Perfect looking spirals in this persons Lyme'd up blood. Using a private concoction & somehow they are producing spirals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtCj9rHqwM&feature=youtu.be

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Perfect looking spirals in this persons Lyme'd up blood. Using a private concoction & somehow they are producing spirals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZtCj9rHqwM&feature=youtu.be

I wonder why they are not spiraling? Do you think they are dead?
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

I think they are stagnant & docile, but not dead but could be on their way to death since the preparer has added solutions that is not normally found in blood or ticks.

It is pathologically advantageous for them to have a slower metabolic rate, not be as affected by antibiotics & persist in our bodies and I think that is the reason for the straighter & passive forms.

I see many different varieties in tick juice too & I also see the spiraling stagnant forms as well. They just stagnate in place & some occasionally move slightly. I may put up another video showing this in ticks.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

So I have made a discovery. I had used .9% NaCl (salt) drops in my blood preps in the past & it disperses the cells very nicely & prevents coagulation (fibrin formation & clumping).

I had always said that these additions to my live blood preps stagnates the spiros. It seems like it prevents them from coming out of the rbc's & they become impossible or very hard to see in this solution & in the plasma over time.

I was curious to buy more clues & see if the same would hold true if I used 2 drops of NaCl in tick juice & WOW! The spiros come out of cysts within a few min to an hour, just like normal, but they all look very stagnant & like something is wrong. Where they would have built up vitality & movement, they now become completely stagnant & most of them do not move & look dead by 24hrs.

The .9% solution is the same type they use to hydrate people in the hospitals & use to flush IV's with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgcaCqXjZBY

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Reichert+microscope&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=.9%25+sodium+chloride&_sacat=0

Maybe there is some truth to salt/C for LD, but who knows how the body utilizes & process such amounts of salt? Maybe use the salt without C? You guys are welcomed to confirm this.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Dr. Bela Bozsik lectures on his DualDur reagent at the prestigious NorVect conference. The DualDur agent is used to view spirochetes directly in human blood. He then shows blood spirals that have been proven positive by monoclonal antibody immuno staining provided by the CDC (shocking of all the people to help).

He then shows us an electron microscopic image, demonstrating to us the two membrane layers (outer membrane & cytoplasmic membrane).

The live spirochete looks exactly what we see in our Lyme Diseased blood and what I have seen explode in my blood as I developed more & more Lyme Disease symptoms!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyCVB5kG5PQ

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

-400x w/cam zoom.
-24ml RODI water + 2.4ml white vinegar + 50mg minocycline. (water:vinegar = 10:1).
-Two drops of above solution on one drop of my Lyme Blood.

This was supposed to be a control for my standard vinegar + water solution & was to show inhibition of spirochetes & transformation into cysts. Instead it showed multiple linear rigid bodies (RGB). Most of the rbc's have lysed or ghosted, as was expected.

Are these rigid spirochetes, crystals, or other? I subsequently made another control with the same minocycline solution above, but with no blood & such bodies were not present, nor were they present in the blood + water + vinegar solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK5ihSrkF8

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Plenty of SOP's!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKa4gM-R078

Video starts slow & then I show you more.

-400x w/cam zoom
-4ml RODI water + .4ml white vinegar (WV) (10:1 ratio)
-1 drop of above solution (WV) + 1 drop finger pricked blood, & seal slip cover with Vaseline for 400x or oil immersion for 100x.

The whole point of this was to burst open the rbc's & allow the spirochetes to be readily seen in the plasma, but I found new things to learn instead.

This marks the 23-24th hour after preparation & I see many string-like objects & many String Of Pearls (SOP). Some of the strings have only a few pearls & they appear rather large & have the color & consistency of rbc's. So I wonder if some or all of the SOP's are actually shedding from the rbc wall? There are most definitely spirochetes in our blood, but with this finding we have to question the proposition & be more weary of what is a spirochete in Lyme blood. Maybe they are still mostly all spirochetes & I wish we could get more direct testing.

When I prepared this solution I do not mix the WV with 1 drop of blood thoroughly. I add the drop of WV to the slide first & then touch the drop of blood from my finger to the WV & then place the slip cover on top (no smear). I do this to get a gradient of areas with mixed PH's. Some of the areas will have rbc's that will ghost & release the hemoglobin, other areas will totally destroy rbc's, & yet the sweet spot is what I show in the video. In this area the rbc's have not lost their hemoglobin & appear reddish in color & not clear or hollow (ghosted).

To get more rbc that are not ghosted with this method you can prepare 4ml RODI water + .2ml White Vinegar (less vinegar).

At the 36th hour there ends up being more & they keep coming out for days, not in this video & maybe a future video.

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Plenty of SOP's!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKa4gM-R078

Beautiful video, Lymedin!!! The number of SOP's is absolutely amazing.

quote:
Some of the strings have only a few pearls & they appear rather large & have the color & consistency of rbc's. So I wonder if some or all of the SOP's are actually shedding from the rbc wall? There are most definitely spirochetes in our blood, but with this finding we have to question the proposition & be more weary of what is a spirochete in Lyme blood. Maybe they are still mostly all spirochetes & I wish we could get more direct testing.

Perhaps they could also be spirochetal "round bodies." They resemble what I have seen in week-long samples after the ketes are "gone." (when I'm on ABX). Earlier I posted one of Mildred Arbaux's videos in which you can see loads of these same round bodies and it was after she had been on a macrolide, a tetracycline, and Flagyl for a whole year--pulsed. I'm sure you've seen it already, but if not, here it is again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzcQgLRm3jI

I really should put up my video with the round bodies.

Back to your video...
I really wonder if those round, white, "budding" "globs" could possibly be candida capsules and psuedo-hyphae....it sure looks like it. I used to see loads of that in my blood earlier on.

Here is something that may just be me, but I think it would be nice if you could get just a little more magnification on your 400x captures. It always confuses me until I move it in or out, but (I think) if you could move your camera out a little you could get that extra magnification without resorting to the 100x objective. (I think you move it the opposite way if using a relay lens). If I view your videos on full screen, I can see things ok, but it would be nice for a little more.

Again, great work!

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Thanks.

This last video was the slide to my control for the minocycline trial I was running. I was hoping the mino would inhibit the spiros from exiting rbc's & SOP's if they were really Borrelia or spiros. This would have bought us more clues, but the concentration of mino + WV was too strong & lysed most of rbc's & also produced those mysterious rigid linear bodies. Stevia as an inhibitor is on my list, as well as trying WV on normal blood.

Look someone made a video suggesting they are "Needle Borrelia," but I have never heard of this before & don't know for sure. When I asked another person who used to work in a lab & with Borrelia if this was possible, they said yes & they have seen it. I don't know why there aren't more references to these forms & I am still weary to call them spirochetes. I am also getting reports from other Lymies now who have seen the rigid linear forms in their Lyme blood, without any additions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEYoG_bGD5U

I think the hollow forms are simply ghosted & warped rbc's that were the first to enter the solution, when it is most acidic. They rupture & release their internal contents & bring up the PH of the entire solution & the subsequent increase of PH has less lysis effect on rbc's.

I need 40x to get a better overall feel & 100x is a pita with shallow depth of field. I've had a 60x (no oil) objective on my list for a while. I can zoom in with my software & see fine, but the damn software cannot record the zoom. The WV video is harder to see, because there is a lot of hemoglobin in the plasma due to lysis of rbc & it decreases the contrast & makes it more difficult to see things. Also my original video is sharper & the Youtube processing looses some detail.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Another person responded that they too see the rigid spiros in their modified blood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_eWNvqSxxo&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y89fqP0Kecg

In this video they look like they are the spiky projections coming out of crenated rbc's (acanthocytes).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zQ0Hsk9Kmo

Many hours later it looks like these things have grown & are yellow like the color of the mino. So these are minocycline crystals that somehow form in human blood, but not when viewed on its own.

The main trial WV yielded spirochete type structures as I normally see in my blood, but the mino control yielded no such gyrating & wiggling spirochete-like structures, only these rigid linear crystals.

The rounder & oddly shaped structures I do see in just the control mino/water/vinegar solution (without the blood) & come from the mino solution. So mine are crystals, but I don't know what the other ones seen in other videos are, as they appear a bit more fluid & not as rigid at times & mine are strictly rigid. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5txx52z64-0

[ 05-06-2016, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Lymedin2010 ]

bluelyme
Member # 47170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How much mino was that? In rhuby q first video there is a larger black speck oval dancing organism any idea what that bugger is? Is that b.l.o./proto ? I just saw that inside my rbc

--------------------
Blue

Posts: 1539 | From southwest | Registered: Dec 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

I went gung ho at 50mg & I may do smaller doses.

Anything that shape/size & that has Brownian dance is hard to tell from blood artifact. I've only seen one convincing video of Bart, which moved in a very specific way that was a dead giveaway & not in just Brownian motion. The owner won't release it to the public though.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

FYI, all of my water/vinegar (WV) tests have yielded many spirochetes & SOP's in my blood & rbc cell wall components.

I have finished round 1 of 24 hr of "normal" (blood of a healthy person) with WV & there is not one single spiro, SOP, rbc phopholipid component or string of any sort found. NOT ONE & therefore no video to show!

Would be nice for you guys to try & chime in as well. I am going to drop the vinegar ration & do something like 4ml water to .2ml or .1ml vinegar to produce even more SOP's & spiros in my blood, as this will not burst & leave more rbc's intact. Going to try this out on my blood first before I do any more normal blood.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

1) Dr. MacDonald is finding Borrelia in some patients CSF & blood as well.
https://vimeo.com/166688480

"Credit: EYE OF SCIENCE/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Lyme disease bacteria. Coloured scanning electron micrograph (SEM) of Borrelia burgdorferi bacteria, the cause of Lyme disease and a red blood cell (erythrocyte). These spirochaete (spiral-shaped) bacteria are passed to humans through the bites of infected Ixodes sp. ticks. Symptoms of Lyme disease include skin lesions, muscle pain, neurological and cardiac abnormalities, and arthritis. Treatments include antibiotic and corticosteroid drugs. Magnification: x6600 when printed 10 centimetres wide."

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/592518/view

-

"Credit: CNRI/SCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY

Caption: Lyme disease blood sample. Light micrograph of a blood smear showing infection with Borrelia sp. bacteria (thin coils). Several Borrelia bacteria infect humans, including those responsible for Lyme disease and relapsing fever. The bacteria are most often spread by ticks. Giemsa stain. Magnification: x300 at 35mm size."

https://www.sciencephoto.com/media/259318/view

-

-

-

TNT
Member # 42349

WOW!! AWESOME PIC OF A SPIROCHETE IN YOUR BLOOD, LYMEDIN!!!!

I'd be interested to know how you took that picture to get such a clear close-up.

quote:

-

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

A few things actually had to come together. First off the spiro is naturally thick & unlike some spiros which can be smaller & thinner.

Other thing is there is some staining involved here & lastly my Amscope video software has a snap shot feature. The video allows me to zoom in, but I cannot record video in zoomed in mode. I can however zoom in & take a pic easily as I did here.

I had done some initial test on freezing my blood & discovered that it is VERY efficient in destroying all the rbc's & all the rbc cell walls & phospholipid spiro-like structures. My first few rounds produced no clear spiros, but maybe some smaller ones & cysts.

My next round was trying to freeze it for a short time & allow some of the rbc's to survive, as in this video. Others have now tried the freezing method & they find too that freezing is a great way to destroy rbc's & cell wall components. Next phases will be in BSK growth & there will be no possible confusing spiro-like for actual growing spirochetes thereafter.

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

The idea is to rapidly ascertain spirochetosis in the blood via blood freezing. I'll go into detail as I believe this can help us all.

It was very disheartening to realize that the PH altering method using Water & Vinegar can produce micro rbc components that look like SOP's & hence my venture to try to eliminate the rbc's. During my first round I froze my blood for 24hrs & noticed that it was VERY efficient in eliminating most all rbc's & all larger phospholipid cell wall components, which can also form spiro-like subjects that can confuse us.

You can see one of my first trials in this video after a 24 hr freeze & notice the efficacy of rbc elimination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbj7tTqUeCI

I assumed spiros would have transformed to cysts & that they would have revived upon thawing in the fresh blood prep, as a few papers & Dr. MacDonald's blood brain bank cultures seem to suggest. I will copy & paste (at a later time) the proof that Borrelia should survive the freeze, which I posted in another group & as I went into further detail there. I did not witness any cyst re-animation or any true active or suspended spiros. At the same time I now realize that the forces of the freeze might have forced water vapors through the Vaseline sealant & that is why I did not witness any brownian motion of particles in the plasma. The next set of trials involved adding the PH mixture, which contained water & made the sample wetter & I was able to observe brownian motion in part of the slide. Future trials will involve a harder seal of the slip cover before freeze, maybe using Elmer's glue. I don't think I will use nail polish as that seemed to affect blood sample in past tests.

I then wanted to assess what freezing would do to actual spirochetes in tick juice & decided to freeze the slide for 6 hrs. The video from that trial can be seen here, but I regrettably used filtered water as opposed to RODI water & need to do additional runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjozMzU2fTg

Again I expected many to form cysts & then revive. Instead I noticed lack of brownian motion in suspended particulates, which again indicates to me that water vapor escaped through the Vaseline. On the flip side I did record spiros which were suspended in time due to the freeze. You can watch my previous tick videos to satisfy yourself that they are indeed spiros, as right after tick juice preparation & RODI addition I do not see such spiro objects. They must all be in cyst form & come out within the hour after prep in non frozen samples.

I would imagine that many things can happen to spiros when frozen. Some will get completely destroyed, while others will be dead but intact & others may survive. I believe the survival rate may depend upon the type of solution it is in, as tissues (brain...etc) is not the same as blood. Most importantly the RATE at which freezing is achieved might be critical. Super rapid freezing in dry ice will produce less crystals & less spiro destruction & a very gradual freezing my allow Borrelia ample time to form cysts before the crystals & may be protected. One of my next attempts will be to refrigerate the sample for a more gradual temp reduction & then freeze. BSK cultured freezing tests can easily provide us with big clues, but one needs to keep in mind that variations can exist depending on the solutions or tissues that are frozen.

Now the bigger deal with all this is when the freezing trials are done & we add BSK or DIY culture medium to the slide after freezing. Imagine the impact of seeing video scans of a blood sample after freeze with all rbc's gone & then a video of many spiros grown after BSK addition. No one can claim that they are mere artifacts stemming from any rbc's then & we would have taken the next leap forward. Obviously PCR culturing & DNA Probing is the ultimate goal then, but until then this is what we have to work with.

Could Borrelia survive freezing? I am sure the evidence suggest that they could, but it might not mean that all of the Borrelia survive freezing & some may die off & be inactive. Also rapid freezing in liquid nitrogen is not the same as the freeze in the fridge, as the former produces less water crystals.

1) "Freezing to Liquid Nitrogen temperatures DOES NOT KILL BORRELIA." from the great Dr. Alan. http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5129

2) The research paper (Kumi-Diaka, J. and Harris, O, (1995)
British Veterinary Journal, Mar/Apr 1995. v. 151 (2)) appears to confirm WALA’s assertion: “It is possible that pathogens causing Lyme disease and Lyme-like illness can remain viable after freezing” is correct. http://www.lymedisease.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/WALAScopingStudySubmission.pdf

3) "LYOPHILIZATION: the creation of a stable preparation of a biologic substance by rapid freezing and dehydration of the frozen product under high vacuum" http://jb.asm.org/content/88/3/811.full.pdf

4) "Respectfully Alan B. MacDonald MD FCAP FASCP Nov 9, 2013 PS: Alan has cultivated living Borrelia from frozen autopsy Alzheimer's Autopsy Brains commencing in 1986 [JAMA: "Borrelia in the Brains of patients dying with Dementia" and Judith has cultivated Borrelia from Alzheimer's Autopsy brains commencing in 1993.
Death of the body human is survived by Live Borrelia in Dead Human Brain tissues.
Astonishing!!! Yes but True and Validated!!

Alan"
http://www.lymeneteurope.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5129

[ 05-20-2016, 05:41 PM: Message edited by: Lymedin2010 ]

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

Borrelia burgdorferi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QsDOypxrYY

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Borrelia burgdorferi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QsDOypxrYY

WOW! That's really good! Now all you need is a video of them moving again once they thaw.

What stain are you using?

Lymedin2010
Member # 34322

No, that is a fixed silver stain of cultured Bb.
mustardseed2
Member # 48048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustardseed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm loving this thread, thanks for all the information! So cool!

After reading the last 10 pages, I'm now looking to buy my first microscope. I want to look for spirochetes, and potentially Bart/Babs with a Giemsa stain if possible (I suspect I have these co-infections but tests come back negative).

At first I was going to buy an Omax or an Amscope, but reading here it sounds like I'd be better off with a higher quality, used scope.

I don't want to spend much more than $250 (not a ton, I know), but even after doing a ton of research, I can't seem to figure out what I need.

The big 4 manufacturers, even buying used, seem to be out of my price range. Ones that are in my price range seem super old and neglected.

I started looking at older AO scopes as an intermediate, but my goodness, their series lineup is confusing: 10 vs 50 vs 100 vs 110 vs 120 vs 400 vs microstar vs phasestar etc etc etc.

Could any of you experts give me some solid recommendations to help me along? I'm tempted to just go back to Omax or Amscope on Amazon, but I don't want to sacrifice image quality when I'm looking at tiny things like Babesia inside of red blood cells.

Any help appreciated! Or eBay links too if you've got any bookmarked!
Thanks again!

Posts: 71 | From Canada | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
thatdudefromkansas
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 46768

I use an Amscope.

http://www.amazon.com/AmScope-T490B-DK-Magnification-Illumination-High-Resolution/dp/B004TP7KDM?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

However, I outfitted it with a 100x dark field lens and a new condenser.

But the image quality is certainly sufficient.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFa6S8fB2Tk

The 400x images are what you will get with it straight out of the box.

Get a Darkfield or Phase-contrast microscope.

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:
Originally posted by mustardseed2:

At first I was going to buy an Omax or an Amscope, but reading here it sounds like I'd be better off with a higher quality, used scope.

I don't want to spend much more than $250 (not a ton, I know), but even after doing a ton of research, I can't seem to figure out what I need.

The big 4 manufacturers, even buying used, seem to be out of my price range. Ones that are in my price range seem super old and neglected.

I started looking at older AO scopes as an intermediate, but my goodness, their series lineup is confusing: 10 vs 50 vs 100 vs 110 vs 120 vs 400 vs microstar vs phasestar etc etc etc.

Could any of you experts give me some solid recommendations to help me along? I'm tempted to just go back to Omax or Amscope on Amazon, but I don't want to sacrifice image quality when I'm looking at tiny things like Babesia inside of red blood cells.

Any help appreciated! Or eBay links too if you've got any bookmarked!
Thanks again!

That's great you are ready to get started with your own microscopy!

Each person has their own opinion about starter scopes, and some of it is probably dependent on what they started out with.

I like my AO 10 series because they are lab-grade, readily available, and parts and accessories are readily available. If you watch carefully, I know you can get a decent used AO 10 series scope for what you are budgeting.

I paid less than $115 for my scope (shipping was additional) and it came equipped with 400x phase contrast. Because components are still plentiful, I have acquired various accessories at very reasonable prices. AO 10 series scopes are very straightforward, so they make great starter scopes. I have been very pleased for the most part.

Unfortunately I don't know of any good deals at the moment. There had been a great (I think 110 model) fully equipped phase contrast scope for sale a few weeks ago for $450. It was a very nice scope in great condition and equipped with a phase turret condenser and all PLAN dark phase objectives up to 100x (objective).

I'm sure a good deal will come along if you are able to sit tight and watch for a bit.

One thing to remember is that even some of the older high end scopes are still as good or better than some of the cheapest new scopes of today.

Whatever you buy, a scope is an investment that holds its value if taken care of. You can always upgrade in the future.

TNT
Member # 42349

quote:

I would recommend against getting a 50, 60, 150, or 160 series AO scope. They have very few options for accessories and to my knowledge are only brightfield scopes. I doubt components from 10, 110, 120, or 400 series can be used on them.

But 10, 110, and 120 series AO scopes are great scopes with plenty of accessories available!
I have not seen as many 400's so I can't speak with any confidence about them. I think their parts are interchangeable with the 110 series. But don't quote me on that.

mustardseed2
Member # 48048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mustardseed2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thatdudefromkansas:
Was the dark field lens that came stock on yours insufficient, or is it a specific objective you need for dark field?

Also how come you needed a new condenser? Was the stock one not good for 100x?

If I bought a lightfield Amscope, like a B120, what modifications would I need to get 100x darkfield?

Sorry if the questions are dumb, just getting my head around all this stuff [Razz]

Your videos are great quality btw.

TNT:
Thanks for the info, comparing to what I've seen, yours sounds like a really good deal! The only thing I wasn't sure about was the lighting on some of these older units. Do you ever feel like you wished you had LED or is the old stuff better?

Are these AO scopes convertible to dark field if it doesn't come that way?

Any opinion on any of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/American-Optical-One-Ten-Binocular-Microscope-4-10-40-100x-Plan-/141970439451?hash=item210e18fd1b:g:LYsAAOSwv9hW5jn7

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AO-American-Optical-Microstar-One-Ten-Compound-Microscope-W-4-Plan-Achro-Lens-/162046063669?hash=item25bab2b435:g:BukAAOSw3mpXGSY8

Thanks again guys, great info in this thread, and tons of cool vids!

Posts: 71 | From Canada | Registered: May 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNT
Member # 42349

quote:

TNT:
Thanks for the info, comparing to what I've seen, yours sounds like a really good deal! The only thing I wasn't sure about was the lighting on some of these older units. Do you ever feel like you wished you had LED or is the old stuff better?

Are these AO scopes convertible to dark field if it doesn't come that way?

Any opinion on any of these:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/American-Optical-One-Ten-Binocular-Microscope-4-10-40-100x-Plan-/141970439451?hash=item210e18fd1b:g:LYsAAOSwv9hW5jn7

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/AO-American-Optical-Microstar-One-Ten-Compound-Microscope-W-4-Plan-Achro-Lens-/162046063669?hash=item25bab2b435:g:BukAAOSw3mpXGSY8

With lab and research grade scopes the optics are superior. The LED lighting can be retrofitted. There is a company on Ebay that makes LED retrofit kits for nearly all the older high-end scopes. The kits are $140.

But, all you have to do if you want LED and can't sink much money into a retrofit is use an LED bulb on a small lamp and place that under the condenser as Lymedin has demonstrated. That's what I did until I made my own home-made LED lamp (see pics above).

Yes, you can equip an AO scope with darkfield if you don't initially buy it that way. Usually it simply involves buying a darkfield condenser (unless you want to do 1000x darkfield as Dude is doing. That is more involved).

Those two scopes you linked to are good scopes with PLAN objectives. They would do very well for plain brightfield. You would have to buy a darkfield condenser if you would want to pursue that. But, you could probably get just as nice a brightfield scope for a cheaper price if you keep looking. You should be able to get one similar to those for approx. $150. Still, not a bad price for those.

Brightfield is all you need for viewing Giemsa stains, but darkfield and phase contrast is best for viewing spirochetes, so I would try to find one equipped, or one that can easily be equipped that way.

mustardseed2
Member # 48048

TNT, how would an AO 110 compare to something like this:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/REICHERT-MICROSTAR-IV-410-LAB-MICROSCOPE-WORKING-BULB-LOT-Medical-Parts-biology-/301958447770?hash=item464e20429a:g:tcAAAOSwXSJXOeMB#shpCntId

Again, thanks a ton for all the help.

EDIT: wooops just realized you already mentioned 400 series in your above post.

This topic comprises 21 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  19  20  21   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement