LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mild Hyperbaric Treatment (Page 27)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  56  57  58   
Author Topic: Mild Hyperbaric Treatment
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you! I will probably be ordering tomorrow.....

I'm sure I'll gave lots of questions. Thank you everyone for your support!

Hugs and goodnight!

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jcarlnew
Member # 45378

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jcarlnew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HW88, what will you be ordering and have you checked with Phoiph on specs and units?
Posts: 98 | From Kalamamazoo,Michigan | Registered: Feb 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kah419
Member # 31572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kah419   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Question on how slow to begin…

I’m hoping to try mHBOT soon for at least a month at my PCP office (he has an Oxyhealth Vitaeris) so I can decide if I want to rent/buy my own. I will need to schedule some sessions (without supplemental 02), and the most I can do is 3x/week because they only offer sessions M/W/F.

LLMD says go ahead and start with 45-60 minutes, and work up to 2 hours per day (with supplemental 02) 5-7 days/week. I know from reading this thread that low and slow is the way to go, which is what I plan to do.

How slow should I start out? Maybe 2x/week the first week, at only 20-30 minutes (in addition to the 10 minutes each needed to inflate/decompress)? Then increase to 3x/week if doing ok?

Which is better to increase first, frequency of treatments (at same length of time) or amount of time in chamber?

Is there a general protocol for beginners that most of you have followed?

So much to learn...trying to read through this entire thread, it’s just taking me a while.

Thanks for any advice!

Posts: 26 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, kah419! This is what we have in the files on the FB group.

Week 1

Days 1-3: 20 minute dive at full pressure (not counting compression and decompression time). Do not wear the mask, but set it down inside the chamber so the oxygen is flowing in, mixing with compressed air.

Days 4-7: If no major reactions are happening, increase full pressure time to 40 minutes. If having previous reaction, stay at 20 minutes (still no mask; just let oxygen flow in and mix with compressed air).

Week 2

Days 1-3: If no major reactions, increase full pressure time to 60 minutes. If having a previous reaction, stay at 40 minutes (still no mask).

Days 4-7: If no major reaction, continue with full pressure 60 minute dive, wearing mask for 20 minutes, and laying it down in the chamber for the rest of the dive. (If having reaction, don't move forward; stay at last step!)

Week 3

Days 1-3: Continue 60 minute dive, wearing mask for 40 minutes, and laying it down in the chamber for the rest of the dive.

Days 4-7: Continue 60 minute dive, wearing mask for entire 60 minutes.

Again...don't move forward to the next step until you're not having major reactions. It is best to move up slowly so your body has time to detoxify and adjust.

You don't need to wear the mask while you compress (so you can clear your ears freely), but do wear it when you decompress.

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kgg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To continue, I had a friend who rented time at a Chiropractor's office. I showed her this schedule. But the chiropractor told her to start right at an hour. So that is what she did. She did not want to go against what he was suggesting since it was in his office. I don't know if she regrets starting at an hour or not. But I just want to acknowledge that it is an awkward situation.

Best,
Karen

Posts: 1685 | From Maine | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any advantage to doing more than an hour if you are hitting some major herxes. In other words going longer to get it over with?

I'm having some major foot pain, it's scaring me, and I'd like this to pass quickly. I'm currently doing an hour with around 10 min for compression and decompression.

Has anyone done this? I don't want to be foolish- but I am struggling big time right now. I can really feel it getting into my knees and feet at the end of a session? Any thoughts- I've had Raynaud's in the past so circulation may not be a strength for me.
Thank you!!

Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Icon 1 posted      Profile for willbeatthis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need to add when I was at my worst- dehabilitating foot pain- primarily arch area and now seemingly toe joints and flaring knees - both are back now in high gear. At one time abx worked well for these and rife and herbs kept them gone. No night sweats so I don't think it's a Babs flare thank goodness. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Posts: 859 | From Southeast | Registered: Mar 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Willbeatthis, that is a hard call. And this is a question that we kind of discussed on the FB group. This doc recommends longer treatments and also twice a day treatments. Most of us agreed that we would stick with the hour plus the compressing and decompressing.

One person because they felt like they were not able to increase their oxygen time, increased their chamber time instead. I am not sure how long she did it for, but eventually decided to go back to an hour and very slowly increase the oxygen time again. She was finally successful in increasing her O2 time.

Have you been in contact with Phioph? She has the most experience of us all. And the gathered experience of us all that communicate with her. Surely, she could tell you whether increasing the dive time would help or hurt.

I think of foot pain and joint pain as Bartonella or Lyme. Especially if it hurts more first thing in the morning to step on your feet.

I am sorry it is so hard right now.

kgg
Member # 5867

Additional thought here. Have you taken a day off? Perhaps instead of more time you need a break?
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

I haven't taken a day off per se but I have gone longer between dives and not dived until late at night lately and it wasn't any better or worse. I just dived 1x today and wonder if trying a second time wouldn't be smart just to see what it does-- increases or decreases the pain. If it increases the pain, I would think I need to back off.

Thanks, KGG. I did email Phoiph and she said she had phases where her bones felt like they'd be crushed (in hands and feet) for example if someone shook her hand and Peimomma said to just keep pushing through that this would pass.

I really appreciate the thoughts.... It means a lot. The doc that is in Maryland that blogs encourages 1.5 hours I think.

I think I am going to try this tonight as I have time to do it for once and being off my feet is a definite do right now. BLESS YOU ALL!

kgg
Member # 5867

Please let us know how it goes.
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Positive news! So, I treated tonight about 2 hours ago and the pain is dissipating. I am so thankful. No doubt mhbot gets where no other treatment has reached. Thanks for being beside me in this journey!
kah419
Member # 31572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kah419   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you kgg! That is so helpful. It’s exactly the info I was looking for.

Does it even make sense for me to test out mHBOT at PCP office for a full month if I’m only able to do it there 3x/week max, and without supplemental 02 (he doesn’t have concentrator/mask option)?

I’m just trying to see if I’m ok with the claustrophobia aspect, plus see how I do in general before doing a rent to buy.

But at only 3x/week is it worth the time and money ($100/session)?

Or would it better to just test it out a few times for a week or two, then if seem to do ok, move forward with rent to buy options?

Then having a rental at home for a month to use daily will give me the info I need to decide to purchase or not.

Thoughts?

Posts: 26 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reminder
Member # 48228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for reminder   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willbeatthis....did you increase your time in the chamber before seeing a result?

After a conversation with a Dr....he mentioned staying in longer,however,just adding a minute per session until you reach that 1.5-2hour max??

Tried this on 3 occasions and REALLY FELT IT...so being a type A personality...maybe I look for the punishment and push too hard.

That being said,I knew mhbot was doing something positive,however,like other treatments....how fast can the body dispose(or detox)?

Best Wishes

--------------------
Chronic Lyme

Posts: 36 | From Florida | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Willbeatthis, Yay!! WootWoot!! So pleased for you that increasing the time was beneficial not harder. Will have to keep this in mind when I hit a wall. So happy for you to have the pain be less intense!

kah419, I was wondering that very same thing. I would definitely try it out for the claustrophobia. It is hard to say for the other. Phioph encourages people to not miss a day but regularly dive once you reach the one hour time with oxygen.

My experience initially was that I would dive for a few days and then feel like I needed to take a day off. But the schedule you describe is more than just a day off here and there. Plus at $100/session for a month, 3 times a week is $1200. (Did I do the math correctly?). Plus he doesn't have the O2 option (which makes me go... tilt? Why not?) If it was me, I would trial it for the fit and then rent. But that is just me. We all have different circumstances to deal with. Have you been in touch with Phioph regarding the rental/purchase?

Reminder, we are all so different sometimes in how we react. My son is very medication/supplement dose sensitive, that I could see him reacting in a similar way, feeling every increase. It makes it so hard to predict how others will react. I am a fan of slow and steady.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HW88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
jcarlnew, i ordered the newtowne military 34". I did talk to Phoiph. She was very helpful. I did some research between oxyhealth and newtowne.

It really came down to price in the end. I think newtowne is starting to make a name for itself and they were really great to work with.

I'll keep you posted so I can add to or discredit the newtowne brand. [Smile]

Posts: 798 | From Cincinnati, OH | Registered: Jul 2016  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

It comes tomorrow. Thanks for posting a possible starting protocol. I'm hoping for good things to come.

Wish me luck. AND thank you everyone for posting here. I love reading it all and trying to educate myself as much as possible.

kgg
Member # 5867

Congratulations! HW88. Please keep us posted on your journey.
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I am up to 700 dives. The last 200 have been at 90 minutes at pressure. I also use a non-rebreather mask (which BTW, Phoiph doesn't think is a good idea) so I get more O2.

I don't recommend this for anyone just starting out but ramping up to it has worked for me and I no longer herx from using the tank.

I do want to say that I don't think it would have been possible to push it like this if I weren't on a Ketogenic diet. The anti-inflammatory effects of the diet make it tolerable.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Digby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Willbeatthis, Congratulations on getting over your foot pain but please be careful. When I started to increase the time, I did it in 5 minute increments and only every other day.

I suspect that the increased time is cumulative and can bite you in the butt after a few long dives like you did. Please go slow.

Posts: 539 | From NW Arkansas | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Interesting, Digby. My Newtowne came with a rebreather mask. Which I don't use. I have not thrown it out. Perhaps I will consider using it.

Thank you for the caution of going slow. Experience is priceless.

kah419
Member # 31572

kgg- I agree, a trial for fit/claustrophobia, then rent my own does seem to make the most sense given the frequency of treatments needed.

I’m still about a month away (hoping early June) from even testing it out because of other issues that must be addressed first before I try it.

I have not yet spoken with Phoiph, but will be PMing her soon for advice once I gather a bit more info.

I’m in the process of comparing Oxyhealth vs. Newtowne since I’m almost sure I would want a rent to buy option (new rather than used). LLMD says go with Newtowne since it’s half the price. I’m not sure yet.

Regarding the supplemental 02 option…

PCP (who is local for me so easier to try his chamber) says research shows supplemental 02 has only marginal added benefit so he doesn’t think it’s necessary. He’s had great success using his chamber to treat patients without any supplemental 02, but I believe it’s mostly autistic and other patients, not chronic lyme. He’s only mentioned one other chronic lyme patient who used his chamber temporarily, ultimately buying her own.

LLMD (who is 3.5 hours away so not possible to use his chamber) says the exact opposite is true, that research shows supplemental 02 is of great added benefit, and he does not advise mHBOT without it for lyme & co’s.

I do plan to use supplemental 02 if I end up getting my own chamber.

Thanks for your advice with this…I suspect I will be back here asking many more questions!

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

What an amazing team! Thank you!

KGG,Digby and Reminder, I did 1 hour 15 minutes at presure yesterday and 1.5 hours at pressure today. I have less pain that is for sure and mercy, it was not fun Monday and Tuesday. I know we are so individual and I thank you so much for sharing your experience. It is priceless... will give the non rebreather mask some thought for down the road. Right now, I'm testing the waters. It is amazing how deep this modality goes!

Kah- I'm thinking of you and HW88 congratulations! So happy for you both! That schedule KGG posted I started with too! Thanks for doing that KGG!

Really, Thank you all... I needed some support and you were there! Hugs! [group hug]

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

How many people do mhbot along with antibiotics and how many are solely using mhbot?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willbeatthis~

I agree with Digby...please be careful about increasing your time so early in your treatment. It may feel good at first, but there can be a delayed reaction if your body can't keep up with the pace of the treatment. Especially since you are doing Rife concurrently.

It can be different for people who don't have chronic infections (e.g., traumatic brain injury, etc.). Often times, they can start at full protocol, and do longer sessions. People with chronic infections are more toxic, and usually have detox issues, so have to go more slowly. Digby is doing the ketogenic diet, which is likely helping him to flush toxins more efficiently.

kah419...I just want to emphasize that this schedule was written as just a very general guideline. Many people must skip a day or two in between sessions in the beginning to allow their bodies to acclimate, and also to evaluate how they are tolerating the treatment. It doesn't pay to rush in the beginning, but consistency is key once you reach the full protocol.

I agree with kgg that it makes sense to try a treatment or two at the office to become familiar with the process, but then move on to your own chamber, as you will ultimately need to do this anyway. Just make sure that they inflate and deflate slowly (request that they show you how to use the inflation/deflation valve), and keep your sessions short in the beginning.

The reason I am against the use of a non-rebreather mask, is that they are designed for minimum 10-15 LPM flow rates to keep them 2/3 full, and we use 8.5 LPM (actually less due to backpressure from the chamber). Remember that with the AirSep concentrator, It is not advised to set it at 10LPM with a chamber, as it can go into an "on demand" mode to retain purity.

If the non-rebreather bag collapses due to low flow, it will cut off the supplemental 02 coming in. In this case, you may still be able to breathe some room air (although it would be mixed with your own C02) if the mask isn't too tightly sealed, otherwise, there is a risk of suffocation.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Phioph, thank you for that very thorough explanation about the non-rebreather. I will not be using mine.

HW88, I did not use antibiotics while diving. But I have done my fair share over the years. Twice with IVs. My naturopath kept wanting me to do herbals concurrently. I bought them but never really gave them a try. I was comfortable in seeing what diving was going to accomplish for me without confusing the picture. And that is easily done with my brain. ;-)

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks as always, Phoiph! I will be careful and thank you for your explanation of the non rebreather mask. I'm getting close to a ketogenic diet and I would say I'm pretty good about detoxing. This foot pain is just flat out weird. I'm relatively assured it's bart and it is in there good (the tops of my feet included). Amazing that with having not the best circulation to my extremities prior to mhbot allowed it to entrench pretty well. I'm so thankful for mhbot! Yes, still doing rife and herbals concurrently. Looking forward to the day when I'm mostly or all mhbot. Thanks for guiding me so well! [group hug]
koo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 30462

Icon 1 posted      Profile for koo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to try this. What is the procedure for doing this? I saw a wellness clinic in my area does it but it entails a consult with the MD.

I see our hospital systems all offer it but I imagine that would also entail another consult and be more $$$$ as well. Speaking of cost, what do these dives cost?

Where are some other places to look...a chiropractor's office?

Can someone also explain what happens before, during, and after these dives. Are you being monitored? Are there any contraindications?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm having trouble sifting through 27 pages of info.

Posts: 478 | From Third Coast | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

koo, The 27 pages take a long time to read but it is well worth it. I read every post before chatting with Phoiph and getting started.

You don't need to sift through it, just take your time and read it all. It's a big investment of time and money...well worth the read.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Koo: I agree with Digby, reading the thread at your leisure is I believe a necessary education.

I would say that you could call one of the local mhbot clinics in your area and ask them these questions and their experience with lyme. This is not a cheap modality. You'll want to be educated.

Phoiph
Member # 41238

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Phoiph     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
willbeatthis...

Based on my own experience, I am thinking the pain you're experiencing in your feet is actually a sign that the circulation is improving and being restored to that area. I remember going through a phase like this.

Koo...welcome. Please do read the entire thread if you can. You can also visit freeradicalshyperbaric.com for more educational resources. Athough this site is still a work in progress, you will find your basic questions answered (e.g., how/why it works, contraindications, etc.), plus some great research articles.

Unless you have one of the few "medicare approved" conditions, you will not be covered via insurance for hospital-based treatments. You can do a few treatments at a practitioner's office to become familiarized with the process, but it will be costly (generally, prices range from $50-$350/session, depending on where you live).

This is why it is more cost effective to have your own chamber (or share cooperatively), as mHBOT requires a daily commitment.

Posts: 1880 | From Earth | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Bless you, Phoiph, it seems to be resolving. Cannot thank you and this team enough!!! Hugs!
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

First dive today!!! [Smile] It was short, but good. Onward, right?

Thanks for all the help. (I'm sure I'll have more questions! [Wink]

kgg
Member # 5867

Kudos, HW88!! My biggest struggle with the Newtowne chamber is the zippers. The outside one to be exact. It may be just me and my weak arms, but I am not getting that outside zipper all the way closed. I still have to have my husband finish so I know for sure it is closed. Even though less expensive, I would hate to blow a zipper because of operator error. So just a heads up on being sure they are all zipped closed.

Keep a journal on your symptoms and the time of your dives. Did you get a chart for record keeping?

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Congratulations, HW88! Kgg- sorry to hear of the struggle with the zipper. On my Oxy Solace, two zippers are hard for me and I know everything is relative. Hang in there! I bet your arms will get stronger and you'll get the hang of it. Glad you're back to diving regularly!
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

Here are some tip for dealing with the zippers on the OxyHealth chambers:

1. Keep the rubber gasket material clean. It can be difficult to get all the lint, hairs and dust off of it, so if after wiping it clean, it still has junk on it, try a can of compressed air. I've found this works well.

2. Always make sure you tuck the outer zipper all the way closed at the end to avoid stress on the zipper teeth.

3. When closing the inner zipper, make sure to tuck the gasket up without wrinkles as you zip up.

4. Of course, never open the zipper until all the pressure is gone. Every time you are in a hurry to get out and open it under pressure, you stress the zipper. It won't necessarily break right away but it will eventually.

I have a method for zipping up from the inside that is quick and easy but I don't know if I could describe it.

kgg
Member # 5867

Thanks, Digby! I used to describe zipping the inside of my Vitaeris, using monkey feet. I would be on my back and start zipping. But when it got so far, I would use my feet to straighten/flatten out the top so it would zip easier without resistance. Not sure if there is that kind of room in the smaller chambers. But that's how I did mine.
kgg
Member # 5867

Thanks, Willbeatthis! I am thrilled to back in the chamber.
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thanks everyone. Kgg, It's the middle zipper that I have a hard time getting all the way closed... I think I've got it now though.

Phoiph, again thank you for the communication and support.

I do have a tracking calendar that I write everything on. I was reading a journal entry from a year ago and I really have improved. It's just so slow.

marathon...not a sprint.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Digby! That's a big help! That gasket is something. I use a swiffer sometimes just for it. With no chemicals of course. I think the compressed air may be the ticket. I am getting the hang of it but it is almost as if this is our mantra.... DO NOT HURT the Zippers.... Om....

Thank you all of the support and KGG!! So happy for you and HW88... yes, a marathon.... You'll GET there!! [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

kah419
Member # 31572

Phoiph, thank you for the advice on starting out. I will definitely PM you soon for some advice on rent/buy options.
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

How do you know when the chamber is completely decompressed and ok to unzip? I went by when my ears stopped popping and the chamber had some creases to it... not sure.
Phoiph
Member # 41238

HW88...

Your gauge should read near zero, and when you push up on the zipper near your head with the palm of your hand, there should be some "give" before you open the zipper.

If it still feels firm when you push up on the zipper, wait a couple more minutes and try again.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

HW88, you might need to move your pressure gauge so that you can see it through the window. It's pretty easy to do. I think Oxyhealth sells a "kit" to do it but it's much cheaper to buy some fittings and tubing and do it yourself.

The low tech, no cost way to do it is as Phoiph said, just push up on the zipper area and unzip when it is soft.

kgg
Member # 5867

HW88, in the handbook, there is a pic of what the end near your feet should look like when it is OK to open the zipper. There are creases in the end piece.

There is not much give to it (when you push with your hand on the top wall of the chamber) as the Vitaeris I used to have. That one was more obvious that it was OK to open the zippers.

I will look for my manual and see what page the pic is on.

kgg
Member # 5867

HW88, it is page 23. But they only show the creases on the outside. =/

They said they are in the process of editing the manual. Perhaps this is something that would be helpful. A photo of the inside, with the creases at the point where it is OK to open. Think I will call them tomorrow.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thank you everyone....kgg let me know what they say. I think they are closed on Mondays. I'll do the zipper test for now.

THANK YOU!

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Weird Question.

I've only done 2 short sessions without oxygen mask, so I'm not sure this is related to mHBOT. .. BUT

Today I've had a weird feeling in my chest. It's almost like I put on icy-hot on my chest. This is a new one for me.

any thoughts?

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Hw88-I've never had that. You've come to the right place to ask! Hang in there! [Smile]
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

HW88, I don't know what that feeling is but I can say that I had lots of weird transient symptoms, especially in the beginning.

That's why I tell people not to micro manage the process. It can make you crazy. :^)

Hopefully it will go away soon.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

I needed to hear that as well Digby! I am not wanting to get on the crazy train either right now!

Couple questions:

1) Do you all use your cell phones to surf the net while diving? I do it often to pass time. Would that affect the success of the dive at all? I know microwaves are not the best to have around us all the time.... Just looking to know I am not messing anything up! (I don't use wifi in my house)

Background: When I went to Germany- Dobel to get Photons we were advised and it was strongly encouraged that we be disconnected while being treated so I was-- and in the middle of the Black Forest with a hotel that had no wifi. Just making sure I am making the most of my treatment in the chamber- if I should always be in airplane mode, I can do that.

2) How about a kindle? Is that okay? I use it on airplane mode.

3) Digby, how much of a difference have you seen with the 1.5 hours vs. the 1 hour with compress and decompress added? I have done this a few times when I am really herxing and it seems to help. I feel like the treatment gets deeper if I am in past an hour though I won't go over 90 minutes and honestly do not have time to do that all the time.

Thank you all for your help! GO TEAM O2!

Phoiph
Member # 41238

willbeatthis~

IMO, to get the most out of your sessions, especially in the beginning, it is ideal to let your brain rest while in the chamber.

It is routine to prescribe mental rest for healing brain injuries: http://www.traumaticbraininjury.net/rest-your-brain-after-brain-injury-not-just-your-body/

Personally, I wasn't able to read or attend to the computer initially anyway, and in retrospect, I believe the "forced rest" was to my advantage. I do use my laptop now when I dive, but I have noticed an increased "restorative" benefit when I just rest inside the chamber instead.

If you think about it, your brain metabolism/oxygen demand increases with use...so it makes sense that rest will allow more energy to go toward healing.

I realize your question was about the impact of EMF's, which no doubt also play a part, since they impact the quality of rest and immune function.

So..."powering down" may have dual benefits...

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Phoiph. That is what I will do... I seem to feel I derive more benefit when I am at rest and it seems it is all I want to do in the chamber. I struggle to read even.

Thank you for your quick response to my question!

Thank you for the link as well! Very informative!

I have completed 91 dives since January 29th (only two consecutive days I had to be out with a flu/cold).

Thank you for your dedication to us all!

Hugs to all! [group hug]

kgg
Member # 5867

I guess I am the opposite. I take both my phone and Kindle in the chamber with me. I check my emails, FB and research. I also read books on my Kindle while in the chamber. My son takes his tablet in and watches movies to pass the time.

Kudos on completing 91 dives, willbeatthis

HW88, I took a pic of the inside of my chamber at the foot end when I was ready to start unzipping. But I am not savvy enough to post it. If you want to PM me your email address I would be glad to send it to you.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thanks willbeatthis and digby... Today, chest is fine. Such WEIRD things. I guess I'll see if it comes back. When I first started treating, I panicked about everything symptom.

Now, I usually give it a few days before I think it's serious (mostly the weird ones go away), But I always ask for others opinions. It helps.

THANK YOU! skip today. Will dive tomorrow--building up slowly.

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

willbeatthis, I do use my tablet in the chamber. I even made a tablet holder so I don't have to hold my arms up the whole time.

Having said that, I agree with Phoiph that the time is best spent in deep rest. So, I also spend most of the time in meditation (I teach meditation) while diving.

I wish I could answer you question about EMFs. I am not sensitive to them and the science is all over the map. I do know that when I lived out in the country where there was no cell signal I felt worse than I do now, living in a suburb. So????

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

HW88, Glad your chest is feeling better. And I'm happy that you are taking it slow.
willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Digby. Good to hear this info. I'm finding rest very natural in the chamber and will work to keep it that way.

With regard to length of time if you don't mind my asking, what is the difference for you diving 90 min vs 60? I notice my feet and knees start to hurt which to me means- we are striking gold(a positive way to look at it). I've always had circulation issues thus I bet the lyme and cos loved that and are now being attacked. One can only hope.

Any thoughts on that?

Thanks so much!

Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

willbeatthis, I don't really feel any difference in the longer dives but I did when I first started increasing time. Just increased symptoms...the usual herx. I increased 5 minutes at a time and only did it every other day.

My thoughts on your hypothesis are that you are absolutely correct! As you know Borrelia are microaerophilic, which means they need a small amount of O2 to respire but more than that is toxic to them.

Diving forces the O2 into all the tissues of the body killing the spirochete...hence the herxes.

Of course that's only one benefit. I believe that the slow but steady effect on the immune system is the real gift of mHBOT.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Thanks, Digby. What a great explanation and help to me honestly. I am really amazed at how much my extremities- especially my feet are really feeling the kill so to speak.

It's great to have a hunch confirmed. My perfect storm going into lyme really is likely what I have needed mhbot as you said. I certainly had that -- bad gut (undiagnosed gluten and dairy allergies at that time), tons of abx over the years for sinus infections, hypothyroidism, bad circulation (renayud's), weakened immunity due to the death of my mom - things quite frankly, I just lived with up until lyme. And helped lyme entrench obviously.

Thus, I am really grateful for the last part of your post and honestly what was the hook for me with mhbot-- immune modulation. When Phoiph and I talked and I learned of her history and then matched it with mine ... down to chemical sensitivities.... well, it all made perfect sense.

You have been a huge contributor here and your knowledge is extraordinary and a real gift to us all. I have always been a why person so thank you for helping me to better understand! I am glad things are going so well for you!

Here's to Borrelia's microaerophilic nature! Sweet revenge [Wink] Thank you so much...

Blessings Team! Cannot thank you enough! [Smile]

Survivorgirl1
Member # 44031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Survivorgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I can’t really keep up with reading along this thread. [Big Grin]

Small update: [Smile]

I’m still diving! For almost three years now in my summit-to-sea shallow dive on 1.3 ATA.

Some of my previous posts/progress:
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/125201/7?#000483
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/125201/8#000542
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/125201/9?#000686
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/125201/16?#001189

I love it very much, at the same time I’m still very sick, but I'm slowly making progress.

I'm about 15-20% better than I was before I started diving.
When I skip 3-4 days I feel more tired and weak.

I couldn’t tolerate most of foods, meds, herbs and supplements. That has improved a lot thanks to mhbot!

Mhbot has been the only therapy that stopped my ongoing getting worse year after year. By the time I started I was more dead than alive.

I’m mostly bedbound for almost 10 years but now I'm able to exercise. I ramped up from 30 seconds to now 15 minutes every day! (hometrainer and light weights)

Antibiotics did definitely contribute to that too.

Question:
In a few months I almost certainly get a PICC line (rocephin), do you know if I have to take any precautions when diving with it? Any experiences? Thnx.

Wishing you all the best of health and keep diving!

Survivorgirl1

[ 05-03-2017, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Survivorgirl1 ]

Posts: 16 | From Europe | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kgg
Member # 5867

Survivorgirl1, I am so happy for you and the improvements you have had! And I love your stick-to-it-ness.

My son had a PICC and was diving in our chamber when we first got it years ago. Our NP at the time said it would be no problem. Well, I am sorry to report that he developed a clot in his axillary vein. Would he have developed a clot even without the mHBO? Probably. He had hypercoagulation at the time. But I don't know what part the mHBO had.

It is good that you are asking. I hope that you are able to get a clear answer on this.

willbeatthis
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 31111

Hi Survivorgirl- Good to hear from you! I hope as well someone can answer your question.

Kgg- how are things going with your new chamber- Hw88 too- I wonder the same.

Still moving forward! Digby is right! Don't try to micromanage the process. It is a ride that is for sure! It is amazing to me the areas this gets to that nothing else came close to hitting this hard- I'm grateful!

Onward O2 Warriors!

kgg
Member # 5867

I am thrilled to be able to get in the chamber daily. When the zipper on my Vitaeris blew, I told Phioph it was a sad day. Indeed it truly was! So I am happy to have the Newtowne chamber.

But, I have yet to conquer the outside zipper on my new chamber. Every time I think I have it closed my husband always reports that it is not yet closed completely. He is going to cut a dowel to see if that will help me to get it tucked into the area that completes the zip. Otherwise, I am very happy with the new chamber.

I am still not back to square one from my surgery. Last year this time, my energy was so much better. I am impatient to get back there.

Willbeatthis, glad to here you are still doing OK with the increase in time.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

willbeatthis,

I'm doing well with my chamber. I'm pretty sure I'm getting all zippers closed. I found it easier to close with the zippers on top rather than the side.

I should have my husband check for me. The outside zipper has to be pushed up and tucked in a little slot, so I can see why kgg says she's having issues with the zipper.

kgg, I bet the dowel will help. Something to push it in the little slot/pocket.

I'm doing pretty good so far. I've been going really slow, though. Every other day. Adding 5-10 minutes each time. Then I will add in the other days. THEN the oxygen.

Happy so far with my purchase and decision. Hoping for wonderful things to come.

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

I'm still a bit away from using my oxygen concentrator, but I was wondering what I should set my oxygen levels at?

Maybe this is something I ask my LLMD or is it pretty standard?

Phoiph
Member # 41238

HW88...

It depends on which concentrator you have...

AirSep New Life Intensity 10 should always be set at 8.0 to 8.5 LPM. Gradually increase your time using the mask, as opposed to changing the LPM setting to work up on the dosage.

[ 05-07-2017, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Phoiph ]

HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thanks phoiph. I will look and see which one I have.

I will gradually add time using it. Do I just take it off and lay it down for the rest of the time in the chamber?

kgg
Member # 5867

This was probably Phioph's suggestion. But what I did was not put it on when inflating. I wanted to be able to clear my ears without the mask interfering. I would time it so I put it on and finished my dives with the mask on.
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Kgg, the rest of the time did you just leave it next to you in the chamber?
Phoiph
Member # 41238

HW88...

Yes, you can just lay it down in the chamber during the rest of the dive. That way, you are still receiving some extra 02 while it flows into the chamber, but not as big of a dose as if you were wearing the mask the entire dive.

kgg has a good suggestion...it is best to leave the mask on while deflating, so wearing it at the end of the dive works while you are titrating up to the full protocol.

foxy loxy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 47053

Icon 1 posted      Profile for foxy loxy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Phoiph.... or anyone on this thread who knows or thinks they do...

I have a friend who has taken my mild hyperbaric chamber and it trying to use it.

She seems to have allergy problems though, and it bothers her ears even afterward.

She has been inflating veeeeery sloooowly, but it still seems to bother her?

Should she stop? or is there any solution for her?

Posts: 477 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Nov 2015  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HW88
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 48309

Thank you phoiph and kgg!! [Smile]
Digby
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3888

foxy loxy, She could try Quercetin and/or an alcohol free mullein oil preparation as drops in the ears.
kgg
Member # 5867

I inflate over 10 minutes. Usually I only have ragweed/end of summer allergies. This year I am starting with spring allergies. So I have been using Alavert. That has helped my ears clear easier. I have also in the past, used Sudafed to unstuff my sinuses.

If her ears aren't equalizing/ clearing then they would bother, even afterwards. At least I have experienced it.

This topic comprises 58 pages: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28  29  30  ...  56  57  58   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement